*** Q: INTO THE STORM *** (HBO Docuseries)

61,633 Views | 790 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by St Hedwig Aggie
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jasomania said:

I watched the first episode and wow. This really reminds me of the flat earth documentary on Netflix. I had no idea how deep this conspiracy theory was and how much weird infighting there was within it. They aren't pushing the Qanon people to say anyway in this, they are just laying out the timeline and having them explain what they believe and its doing a better job of debunking Qanon than any hit piece would.

Speaking of flat earthers and qanon intersectionality.

The first half is about flat earthers, the second half is about qanon and the whole thing is about the overlap.

cbr
AG
I watched part of one episode. It had nothing to do with q and shed no light on any of that. It was just about 8chan, 4chan, etc., and the very strange characters running them. I was struck by just how weird and ****ed up you have to be to actually fight for free soeech, and just how ****ed up a lot of free speech really is.

I didnt find it all that intriguing, but may try to watch more and see where it goes with q

Something i noticed was that all the subjects claim to know nothing about q but there are q props all around. I have no idea if that was their idea or the producers idea.
Duncan Idaho
The blue plastic Q is an important artifact in qverse.

The only one that claimed to not know about Q was the father. The son and the founder of 8chan were pretty clear that they knew about Q but maintain they don't know who he/they is/are. But it was pretty clear the father was full of **** with his claims of ignorance.
jeffdjohnson
Jasomania said:

I watched the first episode and wow. This really reminds me of the flat earth documentary on Netflix. I had no idea how deep this conspiracy theory was and how much weird infighting there was within it. They aren't pushing the Qanon people to say anyway in this, they are just laying out the timeline and having them explain what they believe and its doing a better job of debunking Qanon than any hit piece would.

If the average Qanon believer saw Jim Watkins standing on the street corner talking about Frazzledrip then they would walk to the other side of the road. However these same conspiracies are somehow acceptable when they are posted anonymously online. I don't think the people who believe in Q are necessarily stupid, but there must be something going on psychologically that allows them to be more susceptible to conspiracy thinking. The anonymity of Q is certainly a huge part of it. Maybe it allows people to subconsciously fill in the missing pieces. However it is a much different proposition when you see the faces of these freaks and have to deal with the reality that you are part of their game.
WES2006AG
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

I don't think the people who believe in Q are necessarily stupid, but there must be something going on psychologically that allows them to be more susceptible to conspiracy thinking.
Going to have to disagree. If you truly believe what the Q conspiracy is selling you are indeed stupid. There is no other explanation for people who suspend reality enough to make that garbage fit into the real world.
consigliere13
AG
Just finished the first episode - that was a trip.

I wonder if any of the people they interviewed posted on the F16 QAnon thread?
Jasomania
AG
I really suggest seeing Behind the Curve about Flat Earth. The parallels with Qanon are very much there. Behind the Curve does the same thing as the HBO Docuseries in that it just lets the Flat Earth people say their piece. They don't need to make fun of the Flat Earthers, their own beliefs as described by the people who believe them is enough on its own.

The Flat Earth Documentary is actually fairly sympathetic to the people. They are not all dumb people but people who got caught up in something. It was a slow process of watching lots of YouTube and reading conspiracies and before they knew it they started believing.

I think it's the same thing with Qanon. They aren't dumb people to make fun of but smart people who have got caught up in something. They didn't start believing this overnight, it was a long drawn out process where little by little they believe more and more and after a long period of time they ended up in a place they would have never believed it possible for them to be at. After a while they probably feel like there's no coming back, that if Qanon isn't true than they wasted all this time and effort and the only way to justify that time and effort is for it to be true.
sixiron
AG
I've watched the first 3 eps and I've (mostly) enjoyed it . I wasn't very familiar with the guys behind 4chan/8chan until this.
BCG Disciple
AG
I'm an episode in. So far they've got me hooked. Would have liked a bit more clarity on timeline and dates to get my bearings, but story telling has been sufficient.

Like the plot development around Baruch changing his mind. Hoping to hear more about this before and after, and why the IP signature changed.
TCTTS
AG
The first episode is a bit of whirlwind. But then episode two does a great job of taking a step back and resetting the table, going over the timeline again, getting to know the players better, etc. Episode one is almost like a primer, and then the rest of the episodes so far have been way easier to follow.
cbr
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

how so?

i became interested in q because it was actually more believable than anything coming out of mainstream politics or media.

no one could possibly believe anything in the current dem platform is good for any american, nor that any of the propaganda coming from hollywood or media is sincere. there were kernels of truth about the reasons for that, and some hopefulness in q, together with some obvious bs, and together with the usual internet expansion/diversion/whatever you call it that appeared to surround q but maybe not come from q.

now that q seems to be very much gone, i'd like to know more about it, but i wasnt learning much about it in this show so far.

Another Doug
AG
cbr said:

no one could possibly believe anything in the current dem platform is good for any american,
Except for me and 70,000,000 other voters.
TCTTS
AG
cbr said:

Duncan Idaho said:

how so?

i became interested in q because it was actually more believable than anything coming out of mainstream politics or media.

no one could possibly believe anything in the current dem platform is good for any american, nor that any of the propaganda coming from hollywood or media is sincere. there were kernels of truth about the reasons for that, and some hopefulness in q, together with some obvious bs, and together with the usual internet expansion/diversion/whatever you call it that appeared to surround q but maybe not come from q.

now that q seems to be very much gone, i'd like to know more about it, but i wasnt learning much about it in this show so far.

schmendeler
AG
cbr said:

Duncan Idaho said:

how so?

i've pretty much stayed out of f16 since the inauguration and the longer i stay away from it the crazier and kookier these posts seem. it's like living next door to a sewage plant and you don't realize how much it stunk all the time until you took a vacation and returned.

this is a fairly reasonable post by f16 standards but it's ridiculous hyperbole that only sounds good when you're in an echo chamber.
BCG Disciple
AG
Q grew into what it never should have reasonably grown into. Disinformation is incredibly high on both sides and this was already leading to an event or series of events like q conspiracy. It will only get worse from here.

During Obama, R's believed in Birther conspiracy, then Jade Helms (proven to be started by Russian bots destabilizing).
Texcede and Calcede movements started by Russian bits. Our enemies desire to sow discord and in the age of disinformation it flows easily.

Dems were so incredibly against Trump they were dead set that he was a anti gay bigot, who was going to start a war either before or after placing all gays and minorities in internment camps. He was a power hungry tyrant. This was also weaponized disinformation. Nevermind he had the first openly gay cabinet member, was the first president in history to support gay marriage, and so forth. A tyrant who could have used covid to orchestrate the greatest federal power grab ever instead chose to defer handing to states and respect state rights. The narrative and weaponized reactions were set and he would never change it.

Q is along similar lines. Dehumanize the enemy (human trafficking molesters) and already somewhat believable things before hitting the gas.

Anti q is along similar lines. Dehumanize the enemy as crazy conspiracy theorist hell bent on overthrowing the government. To think more than surface deep about a particular topic now makes you open to be labeled as a q supporter and a nut on par with schizos.

Whatever comes next will repeat itself. The doc The Social Dilemma is a great example for showing the power of disinformation and echo chambers. It is so incredibly difficult to know the truth, as our once supposedly impartial media had previously discovered what social media AI discovered a decade ago.
WES2006AG
AG
cbr said:

The sad thing is you really believe this.
aggieforester05
AG
schmendeler said:

cbr said:

Duncan Idaho said:

how so?

i've pretty much stayed out of f16 since the inauguration and the longer i stay away from it the crazier and kookier these posts seem. it's like living next door to a sewage plant and you don't realize how much it stunk all the time until you took a vacation and returned.

this is a fairly reasonable post by f16 standards but it's ridiculous hyperbole that only sounds good when you're in an echo chamber.
Maybe it's not an endorsement of Q but a condemnation of the propaganda state that we live in? Everything Q said can be a conspiratorial fantasy, yet hold just as much validity as the majority of news coverage in America. While that may be a tad hyperbolic, I don't believe it is as much as you allude it to be. We live in a post truth world where news organizations that purport to be objective are nothing more than team sport propagandists. The truth can only be attained by carefully picking verifiable facts out of a variety of sources and forming one's own conclusion. If you think main stream news organizations (including HBO style documentaries) are objective and without slant (in any direction), then I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Arizona. I'm a long time HBO subscriber and consumer of their many documentaries and I can tell you that their line up has an oversupply of documentaries with a one sided political slant.

There's nothing wrong with opinion journalism when the fact that it is opinion based is disclosed up front. The real problem lies in organizations that purposefully deceive those who consume their material with narratives designed to appear fact based but are in actuality agenda driven misrepresentations or outright falsehoods. These propaganda networks are strong contributors to the delusions of conspiracy theorists like the Q believers and their ideological opposites (where conspiracy theories are in no short supply but will remain unnamed due the few immature posters on this thread that can not have a conversation without mocking those they disagree with).

It's a good thing we have organizations providing journalistic oversight over political parties and their voter alike. It's glaringly obvious to any intellectually honest individual that that oversight from major players like HBO and Netflix is heavily weighted in one direction.

My internet is crawling right now and I can't get HBO max to open, but can anyone post a link the HBO documentary on antifa and/or BLM violence that caused hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars worth of damage, destroyed the lives/livelihood of countless business owners, and resulted in the deaths of many?
Another Doug
AG
BCG Disciple said:

Dems were so incredibly against Trump they were dead set that he was a anti gay bigot, who was going to start a war either before or after placing all gays and minorities in internment camps. He was a power hungry tyrant. This was also weaponized disinformation. Nevermind he had the first openly gay cabinet member, was the first president in history to support gay marriage, and so forth. A tyrant who could have used covid to orchestrate the greatest federal power grab ever instead chose to defer handing to states and respect state rights. The narrative and weaponized reactions were set and he would never change it.

Um no, If you want to know what dems problem with trump was go listen to about any other republican comment about trump during the 2016 primary.
aggieforester05
AG
Another Doug said:

BCG Disciple said:

Um no, If you want to know what dems problem with trump was go listen to about any other republican comment about trump during the 2016 primary.
While those reasons might be true as well, it's revisionist history at best to deny that leftists narratives were not ripe with conspiracy theories about the Trump administration. We had a two year long special prosecutor investigation over the biggest one.
Claude!
This thread needs to be smacked on the nose with a rolled up newspaper again.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Everyone believed a lot of conspiracy theories the past year. You lock up a bunch of people inside their homes all day where all they can do is surf the Internet and watch tv, they eventually end up in rabbit holes in their echo chambers.
BCG Disciple
AG
Another Doug said:

BCG Disciple said:

Of course. My side is reasonable, your side is not! Social media AI only works against conservative crazies and not liberals because our brains are larger and we're more intellectually advanced. Party of science! Party of love!
expresswrittenconsent
Champ Bailey said:

Everyone believed a lot of conspiracy theories the past year. You lock up a bunch of people inside their homes all day where all they can do is surf the Internet and watch tv, they eventually end up in rabbit holes in their echo chambers.

Nah, everyone didn't believe in child sex trafficking and drinking baby blood. That was just the Qidiots. And that needs to be repeated because it is what every Q allegation hinges on, this grand plan to save the baby blood.
Another Doug
AG
BCG Disciple said:

Another Doug said:

BCG Disciple said:

Of course. My side is reasonable, your side is not! Social media AI only works against conservative crazies and not liberals because our brains are larger and we're more intellectually advanced. Party of science! Party of love!

I didn't say that. In fact I said listen to the "other side" from 2016 to get my thoughts on Trump. I hate Ted Cruz, but he had a nice video on the matter.

Call me crazy or whatever, but after 4 years of Trump, all I know is Texags didn't have to deep clean itself to remove traces of what I believe in.

cbr
AG

people here must think 'q' means lizard people, or whatever bs. i dont recall any of that coming from an actual q source.

but all the implications of foreign/chinese/soros/rothschild etc., influence over us politicians, media, fortune 500 boards, etc., is much more credible than 'american policy and people really believe we should divide the country by race, prevent control or vetting of immigrants, gut the military, eliminate the bill of rights and the middle class'

so anyway, the point of this thread is, 'what is this show demonstrating about the q movement' for better or worse.

so far, the show is just about the ownership of 4 chan and 8 chan, which was just an uncensored internet host.

TCTTS
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Champ Bailey said:

Nah, everyone didn't believe in child sex trafficking and drinking baby blood. That was just the Qidiots. And that needs to be repeated because it is what every Q allegation hinges on, this grand plan to save the baby blood.

Exactly. This bad faith, "all conspiracy theories are equal" argument is so disingenuous.

It's not *that* big of leap to believe that Trump *might* have colluded with Russia, after seeing him publicly excuse Putin on multiple occasions, be chummy with senior Russian officials in the Oval Office, have business ventures in and ties to Russia for years prior to his presidency, etc, etc, etc, all while Russia provably sought to influence the election in Trump's favor. Did the left absolutely lose their minds over it? No doubt. Was it a fever dream reaction that crossed the line? I'll concede that.

But in terms of sheer plausibility, believing that scenario doesn't even hold a candle to believing that Hilary Clinton & co were running a child sex trafficking ring out of a pizza parlor basement and drinking the blood of babies.

Like, the two aren't even comparable.

Further, I don't see how *anyone* could watch this doc and still somehow be both-sides-ing this issue. The Q phenomenon is a level of insane, mass delusion rivaled by few other psychological pandemics seen in modern times. It's NUTS. The left certainly has their many issues. And no one is saying that Q speaks for the majority of the right. But be honest and call Q for what it is. Delving into whataboutisms here isn't the play.
TCTTS
AG
cbr said:

people here must think 'q' means lizard people, or whatever bs. i dont recall any of that coming from an actual q source.

but all the implications of foreign/chinese/soros/rothschild etc., influence over us politicians, media, fortune 500 boards, etc., is much more credible than 'american policy and people really believe we should divide the country by race, prevent control or vetting of immigrants, gut the military, eliminate the bill of rights and the middle class'

so anyway, the point of this thread is, 'what is this show demonstrating about the q movement' for better or worse.

so far, the show is just about the ownership of 4 chan and 8 chan, which was just an uncensored internet host.

Which is EXACTLY what I said in the OP, and was basically my entire premise for talking myself into even posting about this show here. Because it's such a clinical take that dives way more into the 8chan of it all, and the people who run it, and because it's more of a mystery docuseries than anything. So I don't know why you find it necessary to keep bringing this up and complaining about it as if it hasn't already been addressed.
aggieforester05
AG
I really didn't follow Q and don't have any input on those "theories", but in terms of actual damage, what do you think has been more impactful over the last four years? Q or the plethora of insane leftist conspiracy theories about Trump/Republicans? Only one of those has had mass media and big tech backing. Keep in mind the Antifa/BLM destruction is largely based on verifiably false narratives. These are people being fed garbage conspiracy theories and propaganda then acting out on those violently. Sure you can compare it to January 6th, but only through blue tinted glasses was that even close to the same scale. That's not excusing the actions of those on the 6th at all. They are violent criminals and should be dealt with, with the full force of the law. It's just that objectively we've seen massive amounts of violence and destruction from leftists conspiracy theorists (blueAnon) who's actions were largely downplayed by the media. Why is that and why can we not condemn all of this political violence and conspiracy theory equally? It's time for all sides to show a little self reflection. The left seems incapable of doing so.
TCTTS
AG
I'm 100% in favor of condemning ALL batsh*t conspiracy theories, on both sides of the isle. I mean, I literally made an effort to call out of the left in my post that you just responded to. But asking that we condemn all conspiracy theories isn't the same as asking that we acknowledge that X is clearly more of logical leap than Y. We're talking about two different things here.

As for the damage you're referring to, it's hard to compare the psychological damage Q has caused - especially when it comes to our faith in democracy and elections - to the physical damage the BLM protests were responsible for. I mean, I know where I stand, but I'm also saying that I honestly don't know how to compare them. My main counter, however, is to your comment that BLM is largely based on "verifiably false narratives." I'm sorry, but I simply disagree. I believe that the heart of the issue - that systemic racism in America still exists - is 100% true. And I certainly don't believe that the black community acted only on "garbage conspiracy theories and propaganda." That's such reductive, insulting reasoning that completely strips them of the very real experiences many of them have on a daily basis. I believe that the response to the issue, in the form of nation-wide rioting and looting, was obviously taken way too far, and served only to harm the cause. In that sense, have certain core radicals hijacked BLM? Clearly. But I understand and empathize with the very basic - and very real - frustration of the black community, and I refuse to write it all off as some kind of mass delusion.

In the case of Q, there is literally nothing real at the heart of that narrative. It's pure fantasy designed to stoke nothing but rage. But there *is* a real issue at the heart of BLM - something many in the black community actually experience on a daily basis - despite many of BLM's worse proponents' attempts to twist the movement to meet their own, radical views.
schmendeler
AG

This happened.
mazag08
AG
Quote:

It's not *that* big of leap to believe that Trump *might* have colluded with Russia

Multi-year investigation and not one piece of evidence.

But sure, you're not a conspiracy theorist. Just an honest and concerned moderate.
TCTTS
AG
I was clearly talking PRE investigation.
Quinn
AG
https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sites/default/files/documents/report_volume5.pdf
Another Doug
AG
mazag08 said:

Quote:

It's not *that* big of leap to believe that Trump *might* have colluded with Russia

Multi-year investigation and not one piece of evidence.

But sure, you're not a conspiracy theorist. Just an honest and concerned moderate.
How bad do you have to suck to have your own justice department start an investigation led by a republican that results in convictions for your NSA, your campaign manager, a couple advisers and your personal lawyer when there is not one piece of evidence.
AgBQ-00
AG
You're going to hang your hat on a coerced plea deal that didn't stand and process crimes unrelated to anything to do with the campaign or presidency? Keep playing the stooge Doug. You're good at it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.