*** New Rock Music ***

7,098 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Hubert J. Farnsworth
beanbean
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All Them Witches. This song pounds on a good sound system.

The new Hum album kicks so much a$$.

beanbean
Also, I think Alice in Chains-Rainer Fog is an excellent post Layne Staley album.

Funky Winkerbean
AG
Go backwards...more selection and the music is better.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
mazag08
AG

This band might not fit OP's tastes as its more along the lines of progressive metal. But no cookie monster and incredible song structures and guitar work.

This band has the son of Bruce Dickinson as singer.

And this band is pretty much Australia's Tool

E
AG
I'm a rocker through and through. Here's a list of my favorite bands: AC/DC, Van Halen (not Van Hagar), Skynyrd, Def Leppard...
Mad Hatter
AG
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Looks like have a bunch of material to try out.

Re: Pneuma...I think I've watched the live Danny cam version of that song on YT a couple of million times. So incredible.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Yes it is - I've watched it numerous times as well and some reaction vids of it. I'm a drummer as well and I am just in awe.

Really incredibly complex rhythmic number and time signature.

Best drummer alive now in rock anyway after Neil Peart's passing. imho
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
This is more pop than rock (feels like Train mashed with the Beatles), but it's got the king in it, so excuse it.

KidDoc
AG
Here is another good new band. More of a late 70's early 80's hard rock groove.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Houndmouth is awesome

In that same vein I also really like Mt Joy, Shovels and Rope, and Caamp. Houndmouth is probably more rock than Mt Joy and Caamp. But all have a really similar vibe
aggierogue
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The White Stripes have been gone for a decade. I like JWiii's solo stuff, but it isn't the same.
Jack White's solo work and The Raconteurs are outstanding. Saw them at the last ACL, and it was a great show. The only thing I don't love with Jack is the Dead Weather. I've seen him twice and my only regret is not seeing The White Stripes when they were together. He's hands down my favorite artist.

As for the original post, I second Tool's new album. And it's been shared plenty, but Danny Carey's drum solo below is magic.

RushHour
There are a bunch of newer rock bands that are kicking a--. Find a couple of bands you like and go down the "fans also like..." rabbit hole on Spotify. I'd assume Amazon and Apple music have a similar feature.

How has Red Fang not been mentioned yet?

Clutch always good

Newer Artist - staying power yet to be seen

Last couple albums have been good

Fu Manchu has been around for over 20 years now, but still kicking a--.

One of my favorite artists over the last decade - all albums phenomenal. Bluesy psychedelic rock

Some newer southern rock

PatAg
AG
A little pop punkish vibe

boy09
AG
KennyHoopla is great. Definitely scratches that mid-2000s punk pop/emo itch.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
PatAg said:

A little pop punkish vibe

Really like this.
drewbie08
AG
Been following this thread and got a few new bands, so thanks everyone!

I've been listening to a Finnish prog-metal band called Wheel. They sound very Tool/APC-ish. They have one full length album and 2 EPs. Their second album drops in a few weeks. Start with The Change and Pyre. I like those two the best.
Echoes97
AG
Some good stuff mentioned on this thread, major kudos for the All Them Witches mention!

BTW if any of y'all are fans of AC/DC, and want to hear some young(ish) dudes basically being AC/DC part 2, check out the band Airbourne, pretty fun band.

Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
beanbean
Echoes97 said:

Some good stuff mentioned on this thread, major kudos for the All Them Witches mention!

BTW if any of y'all are fans of AC/DC, and want to hear some young(ish) dudes basically being AC/DC part 2, check out the band Airbourne, pretty fun band.

Yeah I could post videos all day of them.

Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

Jack White's solo work and The Raconteurs are outstanding. Saw them at the last ACL, and it was a great show. The only thing I don't love with Jack is the Dead Weather. I've seen him twice and my only regret is not seeing The White Stripes when they were together. He's hands down my favorite artist.
I didn't know we had another JWiii fanboy on here. It has been pretty lonely, although picking up steam the past few years. Saw the Stripes on the Get Behind Me Satan tour, JWiii twice (Lazaretto and Boarding House Reach), and the Raconteurs latest tour.

I generally echo your thoughts. Boarding House Reach just doesn't work for me though. Some good songs, to be sure, but some real clunkers (Walk a Dog...which he performed live with tons of video production...not any better).

I think he needs someone to help keep him grounded a bit. Meg's limitations with the garage band sound, Brenden and crew with the pure rock. When he can do anything he wants, he gets super experimental. Sometimes it works (High Ball Stepper), sometimes it does (the song with the damned high pitched beep in BHR).
aggierogue
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

I didn't know we had another JWiii fanboy on here. It has been pretty lonely, although picking up steam the past few years. Saw the Stripes on the Get Behind Me Satan tour, JWiii twice (Lazaretto and Boarding House Reach), and the Raconteurs latest tour.

I generally echo your thoughts. Boarding House Reach just doesn't work for me though. Some good songs, to be sure, but some real clunkers (Walk a Dog...which he performed live with tons of video production...not any better).

I think he needs someone to help keep him grounded a bit. Meg's limitations with the garage band sound, Brenden and crew with the pure rock. When he can do anything he wants, he gets super experimental. Sometimes it works (High Ball Stepper), sometimes it does (the song with the damned high pitched beep in BHR).
If you were in Austin, we may have been at the same two shows. Saw him at Austin Music Hall (Lazaretto) and Austin 360 for Boarding House Reach. Saw the Raconteurs at ACL before G&R. Ready for something new and a new tour.

I hated Boarding House Reach the first time I heard it and thought Jack had lost his mind. But it grew on me, and I was surprised how much I ended up liking it after initially hating it. Agree with your take on his experimentation. Blunderbuss is probably my favorite solo album.

On another WS note, I tried to talk Waterloo Records into selling me a White Stripes cardboard promo cutout last week, but they said they aren't allowed to sell (probably BS). The same cutout was recently sold on ebay for $200.
Ag_07
AG
Not really new per se but I like J Roddy Walston and the Business
Ol Jock 99
AG
I need the judgment of the board: can you be considered rock music and use auto-tuner? I vote no.
JamesPShelley
AustinAg2012 said:

Off the top of my head: Pearl Jam, Deftones, A Perfect Circle, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age.

And your list is legit, minus Muse.
Have stumbled upon Nick Oliveri at my local self-serve car wash a few times this past year. Nice guy. We were talking about his new vette (an 86) and how it needed freon for the AC. He'll be stopping by to pick up the pound I've had in storage for the last 30 years.

He's now working construction. He said his music days long are gone with the exception of a few garage jams here and there.

Just sharing.
Johnny Danger
AG
YouBet said:

Interesting two of you mentioned Queens of the Stone Age. I have their album from back in the 90s(?); the one people know I guess. Really didn't even know I had it and it started rolling through my Shuffle lately for some reason.
You betcha they still make music. Like Clockwork is great.
I have a new appreciation for those songs and I've REALLY come to like them even though I was meh on them back in the 90s. They aren't still making music are they?
BoxingAg84

SteveA
AG
That new Hum album is so good front to back!
I e become a big fan of Thrice, but mostly their later stuff.
mazag08
AG
I've been a Thrice fan since the beginning. Their later stuff is a lot more mature in sound as they've ditched the punk / screamo aspect.

This is from their latest album and has a cool Stranger Things vibe.

Azariah
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

If you have an iphone and apple music check out their playlist called "Breaking Hard Rock". It updates automatically every few days or every week at least.

It includes new rock music from both established bands and new discoveries. I've found several bands off there in the last year.

You can just add the playlist to yours and it gives you a constantly changing selection - which you can either play randomly or just peruse and look for interesting stuff and quickly sample a few. Then you can add what you like to your own library.

Shows up in their search when you go under Categories and Rock. There are several others of varying niche genres depending on your taste.

I love you.
YouBet
AG
Best thread on Entertainment in a while. I have much to explore here.
SteveA
AG
I like Lean in to the Grey, too.
DallasTeleAg
For a more pop-punk/power-pop sound, I've been jamming Billie Joe Armstrong's solo project, The Longshot. Hell, I think his solo album was much better than Green Day's recent album. Only listened to that one time to know I didn't want anymore. I have been playing his album Love is for Losers on loop while driving around town.

Jim01
AG
I've been digging The Backseat Lovers lately. Heard their single on AltNation and their album is solid.
boy09
AG
The "Advanced Placement Virtual Concert" they've been airing on Alt Nation with the Backseat Lovers, Gus Dapperton, and Dayglow is fantastic.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
This thread is a musical crime scene.
Yellerjacket
The new Chevelle is awesome. NIRATIAS. They've gone heavier the last couple of albums, but kind of went back to the classic Chevelle sound on this one. Worth checking out.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.