"Tom Brown's Body" - Texas Monthly Podcast

7,358 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MousepadMarauder
Leggo My Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just finished listening to "Tom Brown's Body". It's put out by Texas Monthly and done by Skip Hollandsworth. If you are looking for a murder/suicide? mystery podcast that's well done. I'd recommend it. The 8th and final episode went up yesterday.

An 18-year-old high school senior doesn't come home. A couple of years later his bones are found. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. Whatever happened it's strange and very mysterious.

Anyone else listen to this one yet?

https://www.texasmonthly.com/interactive/tom-browns-body/
Teacher_Ag
AG
I haven't listened to that yet but this happened fairly close to my hometown in the Panhandle. It happened in a nice little town called Canadian. I have friends who knew Tom's family pretty well. Shocking that it happened there and that to this point no one has come forward with any solid leads. Such a strange, sad story.
Leggo My Elko
AG
It's very sad and strange. The town Canadian is a big part of the podcast. Some interesting panhandle characters and interviews make up the podcast.
aBlane13
AG
I listened to the series and enjoyed it. I am not sure what to think. I need to do some more reading now that I finished the podcast, I didn't want to spoil anything before I was done. I feel like the sheriff screwed up the investigation from day 1, whether intentional or not. I also think that whatever the family paid for the private investigator was too much. That guy is painfully cocky and provided next to nothing as far as evidence or leads.

I keep waffling back and forth between murder by an acquaintance and suicide discovered by his family. His stuff being found spread out across the area is throwing me off. Is that his mom trying to fake a murder? But how is that helping? And if he was murdered, why was his car and belongings strung out across town over a period of time?

It's very strange and I hope something comes out eventually that makes sense.
Leggo My Elko
AG
I went and listened to some other podcasts as well as read some stuff. Pretty much everything of importance made it into the podcast. One-piece left out was the Durango had 3/4 of a tank, and it's known it was filled up near midnight. So either it was left idling for several hours or was driven about 45 miles between when Tom filled it up and ending up at the water treatment plant. There is an additional disagreement between the mother & the sheriff regarding the existence of a photo of Tom on the night of the disappearance. The mother states she remembers the sheriff showing it to her, the sheriff claims that never happened and no such photo exists. The mother claims it was the type of photo that looked like it was taken from the dashcam of a police cruiser.

I pretty much leaned to suicide most of the time, especially with the Suicide hotline search from his phone around 9 PM that night. The planted cell phone really throws a wrench in the whole thing. Maybe the family covering up a suicide, but that would be weird. Plus they would have had to do it very quickly. Murder by an acquaintance? Maybe. The sheriff being involved in a cover-up seems crazy, but all the stuff he did was so bad, it's not impossible.
aBlane13
AG
Hopefully I do the spoiler tags right...

I forgot about the additional digital forensics revealing that hotline search that night. Just judging from the description of Tom's life at the time I'm not sure what the reason would have been for him to kill himself. Unless he was rejected by a lover of some sex...I have heard and seen on some sites that the teacher Jeff Castletine, the dad who killed himself within weeks of the remains being found also used a 25 caliber gun, which obviously matches the caliber of round found in the Durango and the debit card in the Durango was his son's. That is unverified and still doesn't explain if he was killed by the Jeff guy or if they had a relationship or anything, but it's very coincidental to say the least. The pristine phone also perplexes me. Would an adult really be that dumb to think they wouldn't realize it was a plant?
DustysLineup
AG
Saw the article in this month's issue; will read it before coming back for spoilers.
Leggo My Elko
AG
I can't remember if I saw pictures of the phone on the Texas Monthly website or somewhere else, but if that picture was the phone. It was planted 100%, no possible way it was in that condition and had been out there. Meaning it's either a suicide cover-up or murder/manslaughter. The mother claims she didn't know the location of the search. So someone who knew the location of the search or was in the group that found out the location of the search that day had to have been the planter. But then why plant the phone? None of it makes any sense.

Skip said in the podcast that there was nothing of value found with his remains showing the cause of death, but if that's the case, why haven't they released the remains for the family to have a burial?
Josepi
AG
Just finished it today, and really enjoyed it. Like others said, I'm not sure what to think

Did the podcast every mention if there was a bullet hole found in Tom's skull? If not, that would completely debunk Kline's theory.

Also, if Tom committed suicide, how did he do it? They didn't find a gun. He walked two miles from his vehicle. Did he hang himself, and the rope rotted away by the time his body was found?

It's a weird case. The cell phone was definitely planted.
Leggo My Elko
AG
The AG said there is no bullet hole in the skull, but they also haven't released the remains to the family, so that might mean there's something their not saying publicly.
CowtownAg06
AG
Finished last week and it's a really sad story. A couple of notes if you're thinking about listening...

It's 8 episodes and I think TM is running the transcripts in the magazine each month. It's a bit odd since all 8 episodes are out but if you want to read it, you have to wait 5 more months. I don't think the articles add anything other than pictures.

Like a lot of narrative pods, it could have been edited and a bit shorter, but I get what they are trying to do. Overall it's a interesting story and does not have a definitive conclusion.

Rascal
AG
Isn't Canadien the place of the final scene in Tom Hank's "Castaway"?
Canyon99
Rascal said:

Isn't Canadien the place of the final scene in Tom Hank's "Castaway"?

Fairly close. It is near Mobeetie.
Dr. Teeth
AG
Josepi said:

Did the podcast every mention if there was a bullet hole found in Tom's skull? If not, that would completely debunk Kline's theory.

That sheriff's laughter when presented with the theory sounded awfully nervous to me.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Just listened to the podcast. Very well done. It is odd to me that there is not more discussion on the 25 caliber shell casing in the Durango. There was no sign of a bullet in the skull. Tom was shot but not in the head. How many people kill themselves with self-inflicted torso shots? None of this adds up.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
bco2003
AG
New update posted on the Podcast this week.

Evidently the DA decided not to convene a grand jury that was pending due to the lack of evidence. But the PI Kline will be making a presentation in Canadian on October 20th.
Will be interesting in what is released.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Will be interesting. For sure
Leggo My Elko
AG
Will be very interesting. Not being able to prove something in court is very different than knowing what actually or what pretty much happened. I hope Kline actually backs up any accusations he makes with actual evidence.
i is smart
AG
I apologize in advance if the photo is large, but stitched this timeline together from a forum awhile back. Not my writing.

bco2003
AG
Livestream is active of the press Conf

https://www.myhighplains.com/news/local-news/klein-investigations-and-consulting-presenting-what-they-have-on-the-thomas-brown-case-to-the-community/
MookieBlaylock
AG
Excellent summary
Something the podcast should have done
MookieBlaylock
AG
bco2003 said:

Livestream is active of the press Conf

https://www.myhighplains.com/news/local-news/klein-investigations-and-consulting-presenting-what-they-have-on-the-thomas-brown-case-to-the-community/

Thing is still going on

Who is chris jones?
bco2003
AG
I had to stop listening to spend time with the fam. Hope that it's being recorded.

I had to Google Chris, but seems he was a running back on the football team with Tom.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I only caught about 10 minites but that guy loves to hear himself talk

I have very littl patience for those types
TxAg20
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Excellent summary
Something the podcast should have done

I listened to the podcast on a long drive this spring. I always thought it was odd that the sheriff inferred the mother knew something or was trying to cover something up, but she called the sheriff's office (I recall somewhere around 1-2 AM) long before the vehicle was last seen on security cameras (around 6 AM). I'm not an accomplished criminal, but it seems like you would finish your crime or coverup before contacting authorities.
LawHall88
AG
bco2003
AG
I found it interesting that the AG finally agreed to an interview, and that Penny Meek and family were picketing the DA's office to convene a grand jury (when they themselves seemed to be the target of the DA's & AG's indictments).
Leggo My Elko
AG
The Klien guy lost any and all credibility (not saying he had much).

Family covering up a suicide/accidental death seems to be a reasonable scenario.

gigemJTH12
AG
TexjbA&M said:

I went and listened to some other podcasts as well as read some stuff. Pretty much everything of importance made it into the podcast. One-piece left out was the Durango had 3/4 of a tank, and it's known it was filled up near midnight. So either it was left idling for several hours or was driven about 45 miles between when Tom filled it up and ending up at the water treatment plant. There is an additional disagreement between the mother & the sheriff regarding the existence of a photo of Tom on the night of the disappearance. The mother states she remembers the sheriff showing it to her, the sheriff claims that never happened and no such photo exists. The mother claims it was the type of photo that looked like it was taken from the dashcam of a police cruiser.

I pretty much leaned to suicide most of the time, especially with the Suicide hotline search from his phone around 9 PM that night. The planted cell phone really throws a wrench in the whole thing. Maybe the family covering up a suicide, but that would be weird. Plus they would have had to do it very quickly. Murder by an acquaintance? Maybe. The sheriff being involved in a cover-up seems crazy, but all the stuff he did was so bad, it's not impossible.
I am with you. the suicide hotline google search kinda sells it for me. I dont feel like this point was driven home enough in the podcast or asked to the DA or investigator enough.

I guess a murderer could have taken his phone and googled that but if they know it was 9pm...seems clear to me.
gigemJTH12
AG
TexjbA&M said:

The Klien guy lost any and all credibility (not saying he had much).

Family covering up a suicide/accidental death seems to be a reasonable scenario.

agree again here. I actually liked Klein the whole podcast until this last episode. WTF was that??

does anyone know if those high credentials are legit?? is he really like a best in the business type guy? seems unlikely after that last press conference.

suicide and family cover up seems most likely.
canadianAg
AG
As someone who grew up in Canadian, I haven't liked Klein for some time. Have always had that feeling that he's just a sleaze ball milking as much money and notoriety as possible.

I'll also add, Tom was a fair bit younger than I so didn't know him super well but I can confidently say they're misrepresenting him as mr popular/football star. Was he well liked, sure. Athletic, no. Certainly not the level of popularity that comes with being a jock in that town. I'm pretty firmly in the camp of it was suicide (lean much more towards this) or an accident that's being covered up, there's a lot of money and power in a town that small.
Ronnie
AG
What about the diapers though?
Bulldog73
AG
Having coached at some small school, I completely agree. I know Canadian is a whole different level than other small schools, but a backup OL that quits right at playoff time isn't Mr. Super athletic.

Interestingly, I grew up around Klein's kids. He does have a solid reputation, but especially that last update… wth.
gigemJTH12
AG
canadianAg said:

As someone who grew up in Canadian, I haven't liked Klein for some time. Have always had that feeling that he's just a sleaze ball milking as much money and notoriety as possible.

I'll also add, Tom was a fair bit younger than I so didn't know him super well but I can confidently say they're misrepresenting him as mr popular/football star. Was he well liked, sure. Athletic, no. Certainly not the level of popularity that comes with being a jock in that town. I'm pretty firmly in the camp of it was suicide (lean much more towards this) or an accident that's being covered up, there's a lot of money and power in a town that small.

Yeah just from his pictures I could tell the whole athlete thing was way overblown. Looked like a kids that quits all the time at every high school ever.
MousepadMarauder
AG
Update FYI.

Penny Meek (mom) Christ Meek (stepdad) and Tucker Brown (brother) filed suit in Lubbock County District Court against:

Chris Samples and his station, etc.;
Richard Biggs;
Michael Crain;
DOT Comply dba USA Investigations;
Anita Webb;
Laurie Brown and Canadian Record
Amanda Lehman; and,
Elizabeth Gomez

Causes of action are defamation, libel and civil conspiracy.

It will be interesting to see how they attempt to argue that the claims were false and the defendants knew the claims were false part of a defamation case.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.