Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time 2020 Update

4,096 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Corporal Punishment
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

chimpanzee said:

I'm on a Fleetwood Mac kick lately, it's pure pop/soft rock that might not be all that exciting, but the production quality and vocal work with Nicks/Buckingham/Christine McVie harmonies really is great listening. Rumours obviously blew the doors off everything, but their self titled album is cut from the same approach.

I was inclined to run an Ent board poll about greatest sophomore album.

Counting Rumours as the sophomore effort of the Buckingham/Nicks.McVie lineup they are a contender.

But I felt like it would be a futile effort with Nirvana Nevermind just running away with it anyway.

Other great ones:

Boston - Don't Look Back
LZ - Led Zeppelin II
GNR - Lies (counting that as an album not an EP)
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Carole King - Tapesty
The Band - the Band
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Radiohead - The Bends
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
The Beatles - With the Beatles
Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent & the E-Street Shuffle
Pearl Jam - Vs.
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

I'm the resident Springsteen fanboy and I'd even consider The Wild, the Innocent... as more of a sophomore slump than deserving of an entry on "greatest sophomore album" list. Aside from Rosalita, it was a rather pedestrian album but Springsteen standards... Sandwiched in between a great debut of Greetings from Asbury Park and Born to Run knocking it out of the park, it's essentially his worst album of the decade.

I would agree - however I got some of those off a list I saw including that one.

But I see that album as a transition or growth album. Sometimes growth is painful. But I do think there are a few gems in there. E Street Shuffle is a precursor to a lot better grooves that would come together on Born to Run and other later albums. And Incident on 57th Street is a rich narrative lyrically in itself while the music is just average. He would nail that combination on Born to Run. But he had to go through this phase imho.

Jasomania
AG
I don't agree with every thing on the list but I think overall its a decent job in trying to encompass all music in a top 500 list.

That said I do disagree with the fact that a few greatest hits album made the list. Either decide on a studio album by that artist to put on or leave them off the list, no one should get a participation trophy in this.
Sex Panther
AG
WestGalvestonAggie said:

Sex Panther said:

I actually got really into the Beach Boys this year and started diving into them. I was pretty blown away to see how much more they were than just the teen, beach music.

I bought Pet Sounds just because it was number two on this list and so revered, and to my surprise, I ended up loving it. I think it absolutely belongs in the top 10, especially given the history behind it and how groundbreaking it was at the time. I also just recently got Smile after learning more about them and watching Love and Mercy and love it as well.

But I think my favorite album of theirs is Surf's Up. It doesn't seem to register the way their biggest albums do, but man I think it's just incredible. The last three songs of that album work so well together and are fantastic. And I think Surf's Up is one of the best songs ever recorded.

This is for you! I think you'll enjoy it...

Wow... that was fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Such a great song
4stringAg
AG
No Ozzy Osbourne album. Expected Blizzard of Ozz but not on there anywhere in the top 500.

3 from Sabbath (Paranoid, Master of Reality, and Black Sabbath) but none higher than 139.

Corporal Punishment
AG
Macarthu said:

When I saw no Zeppelin in the top 20, I left it. ridiculous.
Same...and I'm not even huge fan of theirs.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.