The Best Films of the '70s Tournament

12,970 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

No surprise here:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3120022/replies/56874342

the two i had as an "or" my first choice was the winner. Of course Rocky got stuck in drama not that it would have mattered.

We need the 80s next that one is tough to call outside of ESB in sci-fi.

Quote:

comedy:
70s Animal House or Blazing Saddles*
80s Airplane or Caddyshack or Vacation or Ferris Bueller's Day Off*
90s Office Space
00s Hangover

drama:
70s Godfather*
80s Rain Man (can't think of another)*
90s Shawshank Redemption
00s Gladiator

sci-fi fantasy
70s Star Wars*
80s Empire Strikes Back*
90s Jurassic Park
00s LOTR III

action
70s Jaws or Rocky*
80s Top Gun or Raiders of the Lost Ark or Back to the Future*
90s Tombstone
00s The Dark Knight
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Oh hey.....remember when I said what if SW and Godfather face off in the semifinal? Well it happened.
Recall you said:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3120022/replies/56874373

Quote:

If Star Wars and Godfather faced off against each other in the semifinals, that would be a mistake with the person making the bracket. Those would be the two favorites and should be on opposite sides.

I agree with you by the way. They were the easy 2 to predict.
et98
AG
My phone acted up as I was voting, so I apologize if my vote for Animal House counted twice
jkag89
Yeah, yeah I know. I stick by the reasoning I matched up the Final Four brackets the way I did.

Didn't MuckRaker already do an '80s Tournament? If not I might volunteer to do it but I would like some feedback on expanding the total number of brackets from four to possibly eight in order to expand the number of films from 64 to 128.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jkag89 said:

Yeah, yeah I know. I stick by the reasoning I matched up the Final Four brackets the way I did.

Didn't MuckRaker already do an '80s Tournament? If not I might volunteer to do it but I would like some feedback on expanding the total number of brackets from fout to possibly eight in order to expand the number of films from 64 to 128.

I don't recall 80s but maybe i missed it.

It has so many pop culture touchstones it's impossible to narrow down. 8 brackets is probably needed.

You would need an entire teen coming of age comedy bracket alone. Call it the John Hughes bracket.

In fact you could almost have a John Hughes 16 movie bracket - he had 14 movies in the 80s:

John Hughes writer and/or director teen/young comedies in the 80s:
Sixteen Candles
The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Pretty in Pink
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Uncle Buck

John Hughes other comedies that are not as teen oriented.
Mr. Mom
National Lampoon's Vacation
European Vacation
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
She's Having a Baby
The Great Outdoors
Christmas Vacation
Some Kind of Wonderful - not a comedy really

jkag89
Being oldish, I tend to misremember things.
Bruce Almighty
AG
There was an 80s bracket, but I don't remember who did it. ESB won.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Coming of Age movies would be a good tournament.
jkag89
Bruce Almighty said:

Coming of Age movies would be a good tournament.
Definitely not my bailiwick genre. Where would one even begin to set up bracket categories? Now that I think of it, while I included a few, I left a number of good '70s "Coming of Age" movies from this Tournament. Some not even making "others considered" lists; Breaking Away, Summer of '42, The Great Santini, Quadrophenia, Ode to Billy Joe.
Fat Bib Fortuna
80s tournament started April 9 when we were almost done with the coronavirus lockdown.
jkag89
Woo Hoo!! I haven't quite lost my faculties yet.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

80s tournament started April 9 when we were almost done with the coronavirus lockdown.

Oh yeah..... the one where Karate Kid won the drama bracket - WTF. Anyway it was a big pop culture flick for the 80s.

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3105703/0

the final four were.

action - Raiders of the Lost Ark
drama - Karate Kid
comedy - Ghostbusters
sci-fi - Empire Strikes Back

I'm willing to have the ultimate tournament of champions once the 70s is done here. the 60s isn't gonna compare we know that. And the 10s are too young to have any longterm reflection on lasting quality.

I would have it by genre across decades 70s 80s 90s 00s winner for each genre, and then an Ultimate Final Four across genres.

comedy:
70s Animal House
80s Ghostbusters
90s Office Space
00s Hangover

drama:
70s Godfather
80s Karate Kid
90s Shawshank Redemption
00s Gladiator

sci-fi fantasy
70s Star Wars
80s Empire Strikes Back
90s Jurassic Park
00s LOTR III

action
70s Jaws
80s Raiders of the Lost Ark
90s Tombstone
00s The Dark Knight

*the 00s wasn't organized that way but the top 3 were TDK, LOTR III and Gladiator as the biggest vote getters and Hangover was #5 so the top comedy.

AND have a decade vs decade contest of the set of films for that decade:

70s - Jaws, SW, Godfather, Animal House
vs
80s - Raiders, ESB, Karate Kid, Ghostbusters
vs
90s - Tombstone, JP, Shawshank, Office Space
vs
00s - TDK, LOTR-III, Gladiator, Hangover.

I know which decade I'd vote #1 and it isn't close. But not sure how to decide seeding. TBD.

jkag89
Quote:

the 60s isn't gonna compare, we know that.
I understand where you are coming from but just because the wippersnappers of the board (they voted The Karate Kid the best Drama of the '80s for heavens sake) might not know them beyond reputation, there really are many wonderful and entertaining films of all genres produced before 1970. If I thought it would generate enough interest I would do a combined '50s/'60s & '30s/'40s tournaments.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

the 60s isn't gonna compare, we know that.
I understand where you are coming from but just because the wippersnappers of the board (they voted The Karate Kid the best Drama of the '80s for heavens sake) might not know them beyond reputation, there really are many wonderful and entertaining films of all genres produced before 1970. If I thought it would generate enough interest I would do a combined '50s/'60s & '30s/'40s tournaments.

maybe combined yeah.

and yeah i mean on this board 60s would not compete. but the mid 70s ushered in the blockbuster era. there really is a significant difference in production quality, budgets, special effects, etc. especially like sci-fi era. the biggest sci fi pics of the 60s were Planet of the Apes or 2001. But there are great comedies, dramas, etc.

Fat Bib Fortuna
Steamboat Willie deserves a chance to take down star wars!
jkag89
No need to keep the voting open to see if The Shootist will replace Animal House in the FInal Four. The closes it came to obtaining the required ⅔ of the vote was 50% after two votes were cast. The final percentage 85% for Animal House.

The Final Four Vote Here (Voting will remain open until 7:00 or so Monday evening unless both matchups are runaways in which case I'll close to voting early to get to the Championship vote)

#2 The Godfather

vs

#1 Star Wars

#2 Animal House

vs

#1 Jaws

Fat Bib Fortuna
Still confused why the two consensus best films would be put on the same side of the bracket.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Still confused why the two consensus best films would be put on the same side of the bracket.

Yep.

In fact his own criteria for matching up Animal House vs the second chance Shootist was based on total votes in all rounds.

Quote:

Total votes for each the winners of the Four Main Brackets
Star Wars - 239
Jaws - 234
The Godfather - 209
Animal House - 197

Jaws actually garnered more votes but against weaker competition, still, using that same criteria it should be

1 Star Wars
vs
4 Animal house

2 Jaws
vs.
3. Godfather

Competition for both just showing why Godfather got fewer overall votes.

Godfather took down
All The Presidents Men - nominated for Best Picture and won screenplay
The Deer Hunter - won best picture, director and supporting actor
Apocalypse Now - nominated for best picture, director, actor and screenplay
Godfather Part II - won best picture, director, actor and screenplay

Jaws took down
The Warriors
Live and Let Die
Smokey and the Bandit
Dirty Harry

jkag89
MuckRaker96 said:

The consensus best films determined by whom? Based simply on the total votes cast it would be Star Wars and Jaws. I explained my reasoning in the original post that seeding for the Final Four was based on the overall strength of the four brackets. Drama and Comedy being the strongest regions (best films, most cultural impact from top to bottom of each bracket) Action/Thriller and SciFi being the weakest. The Action/Thriller bracket got a nudge over SciFi by the moving of two films from the two stronger brackets over to it. Next time I consider doing one of these I might determine which top seeds are the best in each bracket and seed accordingly but I'm sticking to my guns on this one.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jkag89 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

The consensus best films determined by whom? Based simply on the total votes cast it would be Star Wars and Jaws. I explained my reasoning in the original post that seeding for the Final Four was based on the overall strength of the four brackets. Drama and Comedy being the strongest regions (best films, most cultural impact from top to bottom of each bracket) Action/Thriller and SciFi being the weakest. The Action/Thriller bracket got a nudge over SciFi by the moving of two films from the two stronger brackets over to it. Next time I consider doing one of these I might determine which top seeds are the best in each bracket and seed accordingly but I'm sticking to my guns on this one.

why not use your same criteria as for the second chance film???? see above

and the total votes is skewed anyway - see above - based on competition but it is at least not arbitrary.

But you mention total votes as an indication of "consensus" but then don't use it for seeding?

jkag89
I stated in my OP how the matchups were going to be for the Final Four, once stated that I felt it would not be "kosher" to change my mind. I did not plan a Second Chance/Omissions/Pandering bracket when I started this, I felt it would be fun to give the winner of that bracket a chance, albeit a very slim one to make the Final Four. After that I needed to determine which film it would face, total votes cast was the easiest and less subjective manner.for this. Yes I considered that the winner of the Drama and Comedy brackets would likely be at a disadvantage here going against stronger overall competition but believed that the films included in the Second Chance bracket had little chance to advance against any of the original bracket winners. I added needing ⅔ of the vote proviso to make it a near certainty. If it could pull all of that off, I would have to concede that I erred in either what films I included or in seeding.

Bottom line here, do you think having Star Wars face The Godfather in the Final Four is going to change who wins the overall contest? If your answer is no, then what's the difference?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
*at this point what difference does it make?

where have i heard that before?

jk. it's cool man. it's what we do on texags ENT board polls we ***** about the seeding until the next round when it doesn't matter any more.

Although my upcoming contest will be devoid of such controversy - and yet people will still complain I am sure:
a. I didn't pick the films they were the final four from the other polls in the 70s-00s
b. i'm not seeding them as I could not figure out any way to fairly determine that across decades/genres so I simply used a random number generator to make the pairings including which genre faces which genre in the final four.

I don't necessarily love all the seedings either but I'm not going to even defend them because they were random. It is what it is.

Ol Jock 99
AG
Muck warned you this would happen.
jkag89
Quote:

it's what we do on texags ENT board polls we ***** about the seeding until the next round when it doesn't matter any more.
I understand this. Still I think it is only fair to explain my choices.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn right. BTTF should be the 80s comedy, not Ghostbusters
jkag89
One of the matchups is to and fro, the other had the frontrunner stake an early sizeable lead which it maintains.

VOTE HERE
jkag89
Someone in the last 10 minutes or so has voted multiple times (doubling the total of votes) and skewing the results. Not at at all cool. I'm going to throw all but one of those votes out, please cease.
jkag89
Since TexAgs isn't effing Chicago, I have decided to recommence voting with a new ballot. If you have already voted, please vote your choices again. I would appreciate not flooding the ballot with a plethora of extra votes for your favorite(s).

NEW BALLOT! - VOTE HERE
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Stuffing the ballot box on a TA poll is about the saddest thing ever.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wait why are we voting again if you only threw out the flooders extra votes?
Fat Bib Fortuna
Ol Jock 99 said:

Muck warned you this would happen.
jkag89
Because I'm not absolutely positive which were legitimate votes and which was one person voting multiple times. All I know for sure was that in about a ten minute span the number of votes cast doubled and the contest that was neck and neck became a landslide. Love both films so have no problem with either winning but it would be nice if the vote represented a cross section of TexAgs Entertainment Board users not just one or two *******s flooding the ballot with their votes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Isn't it possible that was just the morning rush? Unless it was all for the same movie, in which case you're probably right.
jkag89
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Isn't it possible that was just the morning rush? Unless it was some crazy amount.
Possible, another reason why I started a new ballot. It just seemed really odd that a seesaw battle would become so lopsided in a manner of a few minutes.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian's most likely right. We forget that lots of people don't have the ability to be on TexAgs whenever they want. Almost every poll I've ever done will have a big push when it's first active, another after 7 p.m. - when people who aren't on their phones all day get home and check out TexAgs, and another in the early morning between 8-10 a.m. when people get to work and say, well I've checked my email and hit on the receptionist, time to get on TexAgs.

Obviously I've had trouble with people spamming my polls and was able to sort if out via seeing the same IP address over and over, but even then it was like 50 or 60 votes in a matter of minutes at 3 a.m. Still it's your poll, carry on as you will.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.