The Best Films of the '70s Tournament

11,897 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Clavell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those 4 really are classics, but almost impossible to compare. I'd be fine with thinking of them as Mount Rushmore.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
We all know it was gonna be either Star Wars or the winner of Godfather I/II.

That is the real final here.
jkag89
MuckRaker96 said:

Brian's most likely right. We forget that lots of people don't have the ability to be on TexAgs whenever they want. Almost every poll I've ever done will have a big push when it's first active, another after 7 p.m. - when people who aren't on their phones all day get home and check out TexAgs, and another in the early morning between 8-10 a.m. when people get to work and say, well I've checked my email and hit on the receptionist, time to get on TexAgs.

Obviously I've had trouble with people spamming my polls and was able to sort if out via seeing the same IP address over and over, but even then it was like 50 or 60 votes in a matter of minutes at 3 a.m. Still it's your poll, carry on as you will.
Maybe so. I have no idea how to check IP addresses (would like to know how if I ever do this again). All the votes but one over that span of time went to Star Wars, until then neither film would have a streak of more than two or three in a row with The Godfather obtaining a two vote lead. I can easily see Star Wars winning, even by a large margin but found a rush a votes all at once rather telling. Another oddity was the switching back and forth between Jaws and Animal House every other vote with one none vote throw in when to that point Jaws was comfortably ahead, in other words not a 50-50 vote split especially not every other vote.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I love Star Wars. My kids love Star Wars. I have Star Wars crap on my truck (because eff you my kids love it). We watch something Star Wars related almost weekly.

Godfather is the better movie hands down.
jkag89
If solely based on the number of times I've watched each film Star Wars is the clear winner for '70s films for me. Patton, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Young Frankenstein, Rocky being next and probably in that order. That being said, The Godfather Part II and The Godfather are my 1A and 1B favorite films of all time.
jkag89
Final Four Results (51 Responses)

#2 The Godfather (16, 31.4%) vs #1 Star Wars (35, 68.6%)

Lord Vader surveying the carnage inflicted upon the Corleones

The members of the other Five Families wish they had been so bold.

#2 Animal House (13, 25.5%) vs #1 Jaws (38, 74.5%)

Bruce was able to do what Dean Wormer was not, take down Delta House.

Championship
#1 Star Wars vs #1 Jaws

Unlike Quint, I'm sure Vader will not ignore Chief Brody's assessment of the situation..

Of course Vader's "bigger boat' proved to be vulnerable to small ones.

Bronze Medal
#2 The Godfather vs #2 Animal House

VOTE HERE (Polls will probably close about this time Tuesday night unless the contest is closer than expected)
Yoda
AG
Pick between Star Wars and Jaws?

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Username does NOT check out.
Yoda
AG
If Lucas had put me in the first film, easier my decision would be.

jkag89
Neither matchup is really a contest but there is time for your voice to be heard, VOTE HERE .
jkag89
No need to draw this out any longer. Neither contest is close.

Championship

#1 Star Wars (42, 79.1%) vs #1 Jaws (10, 18.9%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 2%)

Luke and Leia celebrate victory with a brewski

Consolation Prize
#2 The Godfather (40, 75.5%) vs #2 Animal House (12, 22.5%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 2%)

Flounder is inconsolable, after two defeats the last second comeback against the town of Rockridge is but a distant memory.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the vote and discussion. It was a lot of fun.

I'll leave with the glory that might have been if we had a Holy Grail vs Star Wars matchup.

Ol Jock 99
AG
Nice work
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I'll take Godfathers better showing, by far, against SW in the semifinal as vindication for our seeding discussion.

SW and GF were clear 1/2

GF defeated better competition along the way than Jaws easy path to the Finals. Including SW defeating Jaws by a wider margin than Jaws defeated Animal House in the semis. nuff said.

But well done and appreciated.

Let's see how these Final Four from the 70s fare against the 80s 90s and 00s in the Ultimate poll.

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3124405

jkag89

I don't want to talk to you no more.
I fart in your general direction!
Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My voting for Star Wars 837 times this week has finally paid off!
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Damn right. BTTF should be the 80s comedy, not Ghostbusters

Except BTTF isn't really a comedy. It has some comic relief, but it would fall under either sci-fi or adventure. I don't think I've ever seen anyone refer to it as a comedy.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Damn right. BTTF should be the 80s comedy, not Ghostbusters

Except BTTF isn't really a comedy. It has some comic relief, but it would fall under either sci-fi or adventure. I don't think I've ever seen anyone refer to it as a comedy.
By that logic is Ghostbusters a comedy or is it a sci-fi/adventure that is just "funnier" than BTTF?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Ghostbusters is definitely a comedy first, sci fi second movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You could apply the same logic to BTTF though. The sci-fi is just a plot device to get to the real story, which basically takes place fully in 1955. And it's a "straight" comedy at that point.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I disagree. BTTF is an adventure/sci fi film first, comedy 2nd.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.