The Best Films of the '70s Tournament

12,996 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

MuckRaker96 said:

The "greatest movie" decade is entirely subjective to your age. To me and a legion of others on there, the 80s blows the 70s and the 90s away and it's not even close. But I was 6 in 1980 and 15 in 1989 so that makes sense. Those are your prime "movie discovering years"
I'm guessing I'm a "tweener" as I was 10 in '77 when Star Wars came out, and 16 in '83 when Jedi came out. I've had a few movies from outside that time frame infiltrate my all-time favorites, but for the most part it was that time that really defined my favorites list.
interesting cuz i was about the same 11 in 77 and 15 in '83......

and don't get me wrong I love some movies from that era but for me:

70s = some truly great ones and 3 of my top 5 favorites of all time but nowhere near the depth
80s = lots of fun popcorn action and sci-fi stuff plus great comedies
90s = best decade by far of movies overall in dramatic quality

Here is a way to look at it - my favorite from every genre and what decade it falls in

60s
Black Dark Comedy: Dr. Strangelove

70s
Drama and overall #1 regardless of genre: Godfather
Sci-Fi: Star Wars
Horror: Jaws

80s - mostly comedies or fun action movies
Action Adventure: Raiders of the Lost Ark or Back to the Future
War: Full Metal Jacket
Buddy Cop: Trading Places
Heist: Die Hard
Spoof: Airplane
Teen Comedy: Ferris Bueller's Day Off or The Breakfast Club
Coming of Age: Vision Quest
RomCom: Princess Bride
Roadtrip: Fandango
Christmas: Scrooged or A Christmas Story

90s - much more dramatic movie depth
Mob: Goodfellas
Historical Period: Braveheart or Last of the Mohicans
Suspense/Thriller: Silence of the Lambs
Crime: O' Brother Where Art Thou
Prison: Shawshank Redemption
Independent/Cult: Pulp Fiction
Western: Tombstone
Animated: Toy Story
Adult Comedy: Groundhog Day
Raunchy Comedy: American Pie
Documentary: When We Were Kings

00s - some great ones in more niche genres
Fantasy: Lord of the Rings III: Return of the King
Romance: Pride and Prejudice
Superhero: Avengers Endgame tied with The Dark Knight
Film Noir/Neo-Noir: Mulholland Dr.
Music Biopic: Walk the Line
Musical: Chicago
Foreign: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Bruce Almighty
AG
Full Metal Jacket was 80s
jkag89
The committee (just me again), has heard your weeping, wailing & gnashing of teeth about omissions and has decided to have a Second Chance/Omissions Bracket in which the winner has a chance to earn a spot in the Final Four. The winner will face the bracket winner with the fewest total votes, the Second Chance/Omissions winner must get at least ⅔ of the vote to replace the normal bracket winner in the Final Four,

Superman received the most votes in the omissions bracket so will be seeded first and will face Mad Max, the SciFi bracket loser that received the most votes in the first round.

No John Wayne films came in second. The movie I'll opt to put into the tournament is The Shootist, it will be seeded second and face Enter the Dragon from the Action bracket. It chances to advance were hurt by rather low seed and although Escape from Alcatraz received more votes, it lost to a lower seed.

Third Serpico. It will face off against Chinatown.

Fourth Monty Python's the Life of Brian. It will be against Grease which did surprisingly well against Monty Python and the Holy Grail so apparently I seeded it too low and hence I think it is most deserving film to get a second chance from the Comedy bracker.

Second Chance/Omissions Bracket
  • Superman
  • The Shootist
  • Serpico
  • Monty Python's the Life of Brian
  • Grease
  • Chinatown
  • Enter the Dragon
  • Mad Max

VOTE HERE Polls close on the first round at 5:00 PM tomorrow

Still have about three hours left on the Round of 32 in the main tournament, if you have not voted yet VOTE HERE
Fat Bib Fortuna
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
damn that changes my balance a bit - and i can't believe i messed that one up.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

interesting cuz i was about the same 11 in 77 and 15 in '83......

and don't get me wrong I love some movies from that era but for me:

70s = some truly great ones and 3 of my top 5 favorites of all time but nowhere near the depth
80s = lots of fun popcorn action and sci-fi stuff plus great comedies
90s = best decade by far of movies overall in dramatic quality

Here is a way to look at it - my favorite from every genre and what decade it falls in

60s
Black Dark Comedy: Dr. Strangelove

70s
Drama and overall #1 regardless of genre: Godfather
Sci-Fi: Star Wars
Horror: Jaws

80s - mostly comedies or fun action movies
Action Adventure: Raiders of the Lost Ark or Back to the Future
Buddy Cop: Trading Places
Heist: Die Hard
Spoof: Airplane
Teen Comedy: Ferris Bueller's Day Off or The Breakfast Club
Coming of Age: Vision Quest
RomCom: Princess Bride
Roadtrip: Fandango
Christmas: Scrooged or A Christmas Story

90s - much more dramatic movie depth
Mob: Goodfellas
War: Full Metal Jacket
Historical Period: Braveheart or Last of the Mohicans
Suspense/Thriller: Silence of the Lambs
Crime: O' Brother Where Art Thou
Prison: Shawshank Redemption
Independent/Cult: Pulp Fiction
Western: Tombstone
Animated: Toy Story
Adult Comedy: Groundhog Day
Raunchy Comedy: American Pie
Documentary: When We Were Kings

00s - some great ones in more niche genres
Fantasy: Lord of the Rings III: Return of the King
Romance: Pride and Prejudice
Superhero: Avengers Endgame tied with The Dark Knight
Film Noir/Neo-Noir: Mulholland Dr.
Music Biopic: Walk the Line
Musical: Chicago
Foreign: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

I've not broken it down quite this way. The 70s produced a lot of really good and some truly great movies. The 80s did as well. I went a long time as I got further away from my sweet spot of '77-'83 without thinking there were a bunch of tremendously awesome movies. That's not to say there were not awesome movies being released post '83 - there were, but they really didn't move me to any real degree for years after having first seen them.

The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade*, Alien, and Star Wars are the movies that really stand out for me from the time period of '77-'83 (* with the one forcing its way in due to my love for the character and the awesomeness of Harrison Ford and Sean Connery together). There have been only two other times when I've found myself viewing movies with the same fervor as back then - the Star Wars prequels, which represented what I thought would be a conclusion to the story begun in '77, and the conclusion to the MCU, with all the years of build-up to Infinity War + Endgame.

There have been many great movies over these years, but these are the ones that I like more than any others.
Lathspell
AG
I see this thread title and immediately think, why even go through the exercise. It's the Godfather... period.
Mr. White
Nope
Bruce Almighty
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I see this thread title and immediately think, why even go through the exercise. It's the Godfather... period.
On this board, Star Wars will likely beat it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Because The Godfather is not even the best of its series.
jkag89
Bruce Almighty said:

DallasTeleAg said:

On this board, Star Wars will likely beat it.
And possibly Jaws
jkag89
Field of 32 Results
Total number of voters - 57

Drama
#1 The Godfather Part II (50, 87.7%) .vs #9 The Deer Hunter (5, 8.8%) Impartial/Undecided (2, 3.5%)
#2 The Godfather (40, 70.2%) vs #7 Patton (15, 26.3%) Impartial/Undecided (2, 3.5%)
#3 Apocalypse Now (39, 68.4%) vs #6 One Flew Over the ****oo's Nest (16, 28.1%) Impartial/Undecided (2, 3.5%)
#4 Taxi Driver (7, 12.3%) vs #5 Rocky (49, 86.0%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 1.7%)

Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror
#1 Star Wars (53, 93.0%) vs #8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers (2, 5.3%%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 1.7%)
#2 Alien (38, 66.7%) vs #7 Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (18, 31.6%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 1.7%)
#3 Close Encounters of the Third Kind (36, 63.2%) vs #6 Halloween (20, 35.1%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 1.7%)
#4 The Exorcist (31, 54.5%) vs #5 A Clockwork Orange (21, 36,8%) Impartial/Undecided (5, 8.7%)

Comedy
#1 Monty Python and the Holy Grail (52, 91.2%) vs #8 Annie Hall (2, 3.5%) Impartial/Undecided (3, 5,2%)
#2 National Lampoon's Animal House (42, 73.7%) vs #10 The Jerk (15, 26.3%) Impartial/Undecided (0)
#3 Blazing Saddles (41. 71.9%) vs #6 The Bad News Bears (16, 28,1%) Impartial/Undecided (0)
#4 Young Frankenstein (43, 75.4%) vs #5 M*A*S*H (11, 19.3%) Impartial/Undecided (2, 5.3%)

Action/Thriller
#1 Jaws (56, 98.3%) vs #8 Live and Let Die (0) Impartial/Undecided (1, 1.7%)
#2 Dirty Harry (35, 61.4%) vs #10 The Outlaw Josey Wales (19, 33.3%) Impartial/Undecided (3, 5.3%)
#3 The French Connection (29,50.9%) vs #6 Deliverance (25. 43.8%) Impartial/Undecided (3, 5.3%)
#4 The Sting (24, 42.1%) vs #5 Smokey and the Bandit (31, 54.4%) Impartial/Undecided (2, 3.5%)

The Sweet 16 VOTE HERE (Voting open until 8:00 Thursday Evening)

Drama
#1 The Godfather Part II vs #5 Rocky
#2 The Godfather vs #3 Apocalypse Now

Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror
#1 Star Wars vs #4 The Exorcist
#2 Alien vs #3 Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Comedy
#1 Monty Python and the Holy Grail vs #4 Young Frankenstein
#2 National Lampoon's Animal House vs #3 Blazing Saddles

Action/Thriller
#1 Jaws vs #5 Smokey and the Bandit
#2 Dirty Harry vs #3 The French Connection

In the Second Chance bracket, three of the four matchups are seesaw contest. If would like to vote on that bracket, link and explanation in the post above Chevy Chase.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Damn, I just voted against the Godfather twice!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The travesty of not putting Rocky as an action movie is becoming more apparent.

As an action movie it would be a clear finalist as a 2 or 3 seed vs. Jaws. imho

Here as a #5 seed it is going to have a really though road to even make it past this round.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

The comedy matchup of Animal House vs Blazing Saddles is impossible.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Toughest match by far.

As for the original Rocky, and even Rocky II, I'd call those dramas much more than action films. But yeah, Rocky against any Godfather from the 70s is a tough match for a film that actually won Best Picture.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Toughest match by far.

As for the original Rocky, and even Rocky II, I'd call those dramas much more than action films. But yeah, Rocky against any Godfather from the 70s is a tough match for a film that actually won Best Picture.

it would have fared better as an action flick because it is that good of a drama with action.

But I don't think it would have taken down Jaws in that category so a moot point in the end.

jkag89
Have about 50 minutes if you want to get a vote in for the Second Chance/Omissions Bracket. One matchup is tied, two others are in a couple votes of each other. I'll only vote if as a tie breaker but rather not be the deciding vote.

VOTE HERE
jkag89
The extra votes have broken the old tie, however it created a new one. Five or so minutes till the polls close!
jkag89
Results of the first round of the Second Chance/Omissions bracket total of 34 voters.

Superman 16 vs Mad Max 18
The Shootist 16 vs Enter the Dragon 15 with 3 Impartial/Undecided
Serpico 11 vs Chinatown 22 with 1 Impartial/Undecided
Monty Python's Life of Brian 15 vs Grease 17 with 2 Impartial/Undecided

Round Two Matchups
  • Mad Max vs Grease
  • The Shootist vs Chinatown

VOTE HERE Polls will close around 5:00 PM tomorrow
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mad Max over Superman is a disgrace. Shame on this board.
Stive
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Agree...that one is a bit weird to me.

But the Shootist is awesome and
Serpico was BORING
Bruce Almighty
AG
I voted for Mad Max
Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I didn't vote in the redo get-down pandering second chance contest. It's like going to the Edge of Extinction on Survivor. Or plugging in Braveheart to a seed to placate people against a movie that you expect will beat it. Pretty pitiful.
Ol Jock 99
Lathspell
AG
Disagree. Godfather > Godfather Part II
jkag89
True, but from my perspective, fun to see the results. Speaking of the Second Chance Bracket - Round Two; one bracket is dead even, the other is still fairly close.

The main tournament has the voting going pretty much as expected. The underdog Rocky is making it a contest and might go the full 15 Rounds against Apollo Creed, The Godfather Part II. The Comedy Bracket has swings in voting between Animal House and Blazing Saddles. A little disappointed that Young Frankenstein is not making a better show against the Holy Grail, both are all time favorites of mine.
Tanya 93
jkag89 said:

True, but from my perspective, fun to see the results. Speaking of the Second Chance Bracket - Round Two; one bracket is dead even, the other is still fairly close.

The main tournament has the voting going pretty much as expected. The underdog Rocky is making it a contest and might go the full 15 Rounds against Apollo Creed, The Godfather Part II. The Comedy Bracket has swings in voting between Animal House and Blazing Saddles. A little disappointed that Young Frankenstein is not making a better show against the Holy Grail, both are all time favorites of mine.
NOT THE THIRD SWITCH!
jkag89
Second Chance/Omissions Bracket Round Two Results (Total Responses 31)

Mad Max (18, 58.1%) vs Grease (13, 41.9%)
The Shootist (18, 58.1%) vs Chinatown (13, 41.9%)

Final Round

vs

VOTE HERE (Polls Open til about 5:00 PM tomorrow)

It you still want to vote in the Main Bracket, Sweet Sixteen Round,you have about 2 and a half hours left. VOTE HERE
Stive
AG
The Shootist is awesome and even if you're not into westerns or John Wayne or whatever, watch it if you haven't.

Weakest part of the movie was Ron Howard. He was supposed to be an annoying kid and he nailed that...but it was past the goofy point at times.
jkag89
The battle between Animal House and Blazing Saddles is neck & neck going down the stretch. Still have time to vote!
jkag89
Sweet 16 Results (64 Total Responses)

Drama
#1 The Godfather Part II (37, 57.8%) vs #5 Rocky (26, 40.6%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 1.6%)
#2 The Godfather (41, 64.0 %) vs #3 Apocalypse Now (22, 34.4%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 1.6%)

Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror
#1 Star Wars (54, 84,3%) vs #4 The Exorcist (9, 14.1%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 1.6%)
#2 Alien (43, 67.2%) vs #3 Close Encounters of the Third Kind (20, 31.2%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 1.6%)

Comedy
#1 Monty Python and the Holy Grail (41, 64.0%) vs #4 Young Frankenstein (21, 32,8%) Impartial/Undecided (2, 3.2%)
#2 National Lampoon's Animal House (32, 50.0%) vs #3 Blazing Saddles (31, 48,4%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 1.6%)

Action/Thriller
#1 Jaws (51, 79.6%) vs #5 Smokey and the Bandit (12, 18.8%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 1.6%)
#2 Dirty Harry (40, 62.5%) vs #3 The French Connection (20, 31.2%) Impartial/Undecided (4. 6.3%)

Regional Finals - Elite Eight VOTE HERE

Drama
#1 The Godfather Part II

vs #2 The Godfather

Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror
#1 Star Wars

vs
#2 Alien

Comedy
#1 Monty Python and the Holy Grail

vs
#2 Animal House

Action/Thriller
#1 Jaws

vs
#2 Dirty Harry
jkag89
The Shootist wins the Second Chance/Omissions/Pandering Bracket by one vote over Mad Max, so it will get a chance to bump the lowest total vote getter of the four films that wins their regional.

In the main contest only one of the four brackets, Comedy, is close right now but only one is a runaway. I'll probably close voting 6:00 PM tomorrow to give folks a chance to vote, might extend the time if the voting tightens up the contests..
jkag89
as a reminder to VOTE!
jkag89
Regional Finals - Elite Eight Results (Total Responses 44)

Drama
#1 The Godfather Part II (13, 29.5%) vs #2 The Godfather (30, 68.2%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 2.3%)

Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror
#1 Star Wars (35, 79.5%) vs #2 Alien (9, 20.5%)

Comedy
#1 Monty Python and the Holy Grail (18, 40.9% ) vs #2 National Lampoon's Animal House (25, 56.8%) Impartial/Undecided (1, 2.3%)

Action/Thriller
#1 Jaws (39, 88.6%) vs #2 Dirty Harry (5, 11/3%)

Total votes for each the winners of the Four Main Brackets
The Godfather - 209
Star Wars - 239
Animal House - 197
Jaws - 234

Animal House receiving the fewest total votes will face The Shootist, the winner of the Second Chance/Omissions/Pandering to the Masses Bracket. The Shootist needs to garner ⅔ of the vote to replace Animal House in the Final Four.

Final Four Matchups - Voting Opens Sunday Evening around 6:00 PM
#2 The Godfather vs #1 Star Wars
#2 Animal House/The Shootist winner vs #1 Jaws

The Shootist

vs

Animal House

VOTE HERE

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.