The Best Films of the '70s Tournament

12,988 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Taxi Driver vs Rocky
Animal House vs The Jerk for me
jkag89
Ok, blatantly stealing from MuckRaker as a way to bump the thread.

As of 12 noon, one film still has 100% of the vote. The first person to guess correctly gets their choice of '70s era hottie in pictures and gifs.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Is it Superman?
jkag89
Oh come on, it is not even getting 100% of the vote of the most blatant omission, still leading that vote but not by much.
bluefire579
AG
I bet it's Jaws
jkag89
Winner, winner chicken dinner!
et98
AG

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
bluefire579
AG
Sweet. Too bad my knowledge of 70s babes is fairly limited...uhhhh, let's go with Lynda Carter. Can't go wrong with Wonder Woman
jkag89
Ms Carter it will be then.
ATM9000
AG
jkag89 said:

Most Glaring Omission results so far
Superman 30.8%
No John Wayne Films 23.1%
Serpico 17.9%
Four at 5.1%: The Conversation, A Bridge Too Far, The Life of Brian, No Bracket for Disaster Films
Thee at a vote each: Murder by Death, Every Which Way But Loose, No separate bracket for Travolta

People really feel that strongly about Serpico?
jkag89

For the 10 voters who selected The Muppet Movie over Blazing Saddles

GasPasser97
AG
My number one I wish I could've seen in all her "unkempt" glory
Ag 11
AG
ATM9000 said:

jkag89 said:

Most Glaring Omission results so far
Superman 30.8%
No John Wayne Films 23.1%
Serpico 17.9%
Four at 5.1%: The Conversation, A Bridge Too Far, The Life of Brian, No Bracket for Disaster Films
Thee at a vote each: Murder by Death, Every Which Way But Loose, No separate bracket for Travolta

People really feel that strongly about Serpico?

jkag89
Update on the Most Glaring Omission Vote
Superman 27.5%
No John Wayne Films 23.5%
Serpico 17.6%
The Life of Brian 7.9%
A Bridge Too Far 5.9%
The Conversation,, No Bracket for Disaster Films, Murder by Death, Every Which Way But Loose 3.9%
No separate bracket for Travolta 2%
jkag89
Jaws no longer at 100%. Live and Let Die is still shutout but one voter had to be like the old curmudgeon baseball writer who leaves an obvious HoFer off their ballot just so the vote won't be unanimous.

One contest in the Action/Thriller bracket is tied. The other two in the catagory are also relatively close. In most of the others, the lead at the moment is fairly comfortable
cbr
AG
One thing is for sure, the 70's is far and away the best decade ever for movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
90s might surpass it imo.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

90s might surpass it imo.

I think the great movies of the 70s is better than the great movies of the 90s, but the 90s have more good movies. It's tough to compare though because being a 90s kid, I've only seen the 70s movies that have withstood the test of time, whereas I've seen almost every decent to great movie made in the 90s.
Fat Bib Fortuna
The "greatest movie" decade is entirely subjective to your age. To me and a legion of others on there, the 80s blows the 70s and the 90s away and it's not even close. But I was 6 in 1980 and 15 in 1989 so that makes sense. Those are your prime "movie discovering years"
Bruce Almighty
AG
And for me, I view the 80s as a decade of crap, not just for movies, but for tv and music as well. There's some great stuff from the 80s, but there just seems to be a lot more bad, including things that many people seem to think is great.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Bruce Almighty said:

And for me, I view the 80s as a decade of crap, not just for movies, but for tv and music as well. There's some great stuff from the 80s, but there just seems to be a lot more bad, including things that many people seem to think is great.
Well good morning to you too, Captain Sunshine.
Tanya 93
Bruce Almighty said:

Cheers
Family Ties
The Cosby Show
LA Law
The Wonder Years
Quantum Leap
ST:TNG
The Golden Girls
Newhart

are all crap?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Cheers
Family Ties
The Cosby Show
LA Law
The Wonder Years
Quantum Leap
The Golden Girls
Newhart

are all crap?

Read my second sentence
bluefire579
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Curious which ones you think are bad that many people find great. I can see where parts of the 80s could rub people wrong, lots of synth and flashing lights and fake looking special effects in there, but there are also a ton of iconic works that came out of the decade.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

The "greatest movie" decade is entirely subjective to your age. To me and a legion of others on there, the 80s blows the 70s and the 90s away and it's not even close. But I was 6 in 1980 and 15 in 1989 so that makes sense. Those are your prime "movie discovering years"
I'm guessing I'm a "tweener" as I was 10 in '77 when Star Wars came out, and 16 in '83 when Jedi came out. I've had a few movies from outside that time frame infiltrate my all-time favorites, but for the most part it was that time that really defined my favorites list.
Bruce Almighty
AG
bluefire579 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Curious which ones you think are bad that many people find great. I can see where parts of the 80s could rub people wrong, lots of synth and flashing lights and fake looking special effects in there, but there are also a ton of iconic works that came out of the decade.
I was a bit hyperbolic when I said it was a decade of crap as every decade has its share of good and bad, but considering I was born in 79, I should like stuff from the 80s more than I do, but if I were to rank my favorites of any form of media, there just seems to be fewer from that decade than all others. I think music from the 80s is pretty bad. I love Prince, GnR, The Police and Michael Jackson, but think most of the pop music from the era was bad and I don't like most of the rock music from the decade either. Music from the 60s, 70s and 90s is much better IMO.

I don't think television was very good. The Cosby Show and Cheers are great, but some of the most popular shows from that era I find to be unwatchable. Shows like Airwolf, A-Team, Miami Vice, Love Boat, Dallas, and Knight Rider have not aged well. I think most of the best shows of the decade were the later ones that went into the 90s. 80s animation may be the worst of any decade ever (with the exception of TMNT, which I love to this day). Movies of the 80s were better than music and tv, but I still find it inferior to what came before and after.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Bruce Almighty said:

Shows like Airwolf, A-Team, Miami Vice, Love Boat, Dallas, and Knight Rider have not aged well.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Muck is triggered.
Fat Bib Fortuna
You dissed Airwolf, the A-Team, and Knight Rider in the same sentence. If you were any other man, I would kill you where you stand.
bluefire579
AG
Ah, see you said movies, and I just started thinking of classics: Indiana Jones trilogy, Empire and RotJ, Terminator, Blade Runner, Aliens, Back to the Future trilogy, Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller, etc.

I have a bit of a soft spot for eighties music, but I don't personally like it as much as the 70s or 90s. I know folks have a lot of nostalgia for TV shows, but I'm honestly to a point where I struggle going back to old TV shows, because the production standards today are just so far and away better.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

If you were any other man, I would kill you where you stand.
Ah, a reference from the 90s.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A theory I read is if you take the year you were 13 and go 3 years on either side of that, your favorite movie is almost guaranteed to come from those years.

Absolutely true for me. (I was 13 when LOTR: FOTR came out.)
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I was 13 when The Empire Strikes Back came out. My all-time favorite.
Tanya 93
Brian Earl Spilner said:

A theory I read is if you take the year you were 13 and go 3 years on either side of that, your favorite movie is almost guaranteed to come from those years.

Absolutely true for me. (I was 13 when LOTR: FOTR came out.)
I am not actually that old

The Philadelphia Story is from 1940

My favorite 80's movie?

Maybe Say Anything.
jkag89
Tanya 93 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Cheers
Family Ties
The Cosby Show
LA Law
The Wonder Years
Quantum Leap
The Golden Girls
Newhart

are all crap?
You left off Hill Street Blues!

On the other hand, you did include Quantum Leap. OK, all is forgiven.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.