Two Dresden Files Books This Year

6,489 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PatAg
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Peace Talks 7/14 and Battle Ground 9/29.

Been reading them again on book 7 as I prep for Peace Talks. Going to be a great to get two so close together. I guess this is why it took so long because one book morphed into two.

Still dying for Netflix/hbo/amazon or maybe showtime to make a series out of this.
schmendeler
AG
is there a set number of books for this series? i've read the first 5-6 and enjoyed them.

after going back to check it looks like i've actually read the first eight.
Madmarttigan
AG
I believe someone told me the goal was 21.

If you read the first 8 I think he just keeps putting out better and better books. 12-15 are really good. Especially 12.
schmendeler
AG
i've heard that. i'll get to them eventually. my reading list seems to grow constantly.
gus1390
AG
His website used to talk about a plan for 21 books total with books 1-18 leading up to an "epic trilogy" to finish the series off
hunter2012
AG
From his Website.

Quote:

The series is slated to run 23-24 books: 20-21 "case books" like we've seen so far, capped by a Big Apocalyptic Trilogy, because who doesn't love apocalyptic trilogies? Book 16, Peace Talks, hits stores July 14th, 2020, coincident with the series' 20th anniversary.

I'm looking for a new fantasy series and I have narrowed it down to either this or Dune. It looks like this series is pretty far along so that will make my decision tougher...
Madmarttigan
AG
Just fair warning, I think the series is great but I would argue books 2 and 4 are the weakest of the series. Book one is kind of barely above those to me but only for nostalgic reasons being introduced to the characters for the first time when I reread them. Fortunately all of the books are pretty short in comparison to a lot of fantasy so they are pretty fun quick reads.
bearamedic99
AG
There's a low budget live action trailer for the next book.

I'll post the link when I get a chance.
shaynew1
AG
bearamedic99 said:

There's a low budget live action trailer for the next book.

I'll post the link when I get a chance.

Bruh don't say something like that and not have a link
Madmarttigan
AG
Didn't post it because it was kind of cheesy lol

hunter2012
AG
tv1113 said:

Just fair warning, I think the series is great but I would argue books 2 and 4 are the weakest of the series. Book one is kind of barely above those to me but only for nostalgic reasons being introduced to the characters for the first time when I reread them. Fortunately all of the books are pretty short in comparison to a lot of fantasy so they are pretty fun quick reads.
I appreciate the warning but I don't mind. Some of my favorite series and shows have slow starts.
shaynew1
AG
tv1113 said:

Didn't post it because it was kind of cheesy lol

it was cheesy but i am satisfied.
bearamedic99
AG
Sorry. Work has been busy and am feeling beat
KALALL
AG
Where's the best series synopsis? I don't want to reread all of the books prior to the new one coming out.
heddleston
AG
What was that weird steampunk series he started a few years ago? That was a fun read, is he circling back to that anytime soon?
shaynew1
AG
kaleb_allison said:

Where's the best series synopsis? I don't want to reread all of the books prior to the new one coming out.

Die hard, but weirder.
shaynew1
AG
If you haven't listened to the audiobooks, marsters is A+++ And would be worth a listen over a reread.

Any Dresden is read now is in marsters voice
bonfarr
AG
GRR Martin has likely been locked up in self quarantine for a few months and will not get out of the house in another month or two, does this mean he will finally finish the next book ?
shaynew1
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Sorry. Work has been busy and am feeling beat

Worry not brother keep up the good work
Madmarttigan
AG
The age of GoT has ended, the time of Dresden is here
captkirk
AG
kaleb_allison said:

Here's one. Don't know about being the best

https://dresdenfiles.fandom.com/wiki/The_Dresden_Files
joemeister
AG
heddleston said:

What was that weird steampunk series he started a few years ago? That was a fun read, is he circling back to that anytime soon?
Cinder Spires. If I remember correctly, he said that the second one is supposed to be published after these Dresden Files books.
heddleston
AG
Ah yes. I'm generally not into steampunk type stuff but the first one (The Aeronauts Windlass?) was pretty fun and had some solid fantasy elements mixed into it.
Southlake
Just read #1, Storm Front.

Not as good as I thought but original
Madmarttigan
AG
I dont think the series really picks up until book 5, as I said 1,2,and 4 are the weakest imo. Book 3 is great but kinda sandwiched in some okay stuff.
Article 58-10 Offender
bonfarr said:

GRR Martin has likely been locked up in self quarantine for a few months and will not get out of the house in another month or two, does this mean he will finally finish the next book ?

He MIGHT find the time to publish another open letter about why he just hasn't had time to finish the next book. That's about the best we can hope for.
shaynew1
AG
Southlake said:

Just read #1, Storm Front.

Not as good as I thought but original
unless you hated it, keep truckin there is a payoff
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm through Small Favor on my reread. Started reading side jobs and brief cases for the first time. I don't think I will be able to pause for anything between turn coat and changes. Pretty sure changes is my favorite book of all.

Madmarttigan
AG
Changes.... so damn good
Madmarttigan
AG
Finished ghost story I may actually be done in time for peace talks.

Ghost Story is a strange book because it is a meh story interlaced with a great story. The ending is still gut wrenching to me every time. Scenes with Murphy and Mouse and Maggie make it dusty.
YouBet
AG
I need to get back into this. I read the first 3 books a couple of years ago. Will definitely need a synopsis.

And Dune is not fantasy to earlier post. Jesus Tapdancing Christ.
Madmarttigan
AG
Just wish the series started off stronger to attract more people. Of the first 5 books , 5 and 3 are the best, 1 is in the middle and 2/4 are just meh.

1/2 aren't super important for the overall story other than the Murphy/Dresden relationship building and introducing Marcone a bit. If you had to restart I would reread 3 though. The consequences of that book extend for many books to come and it is an entertaining book anyways.
MW03
AG
Marsters

Audible tells me the audiobook comes out on 7/14 as well.
MW03
AG
I'm redoing Skin Game just because it had been a while. No way I finish before tomorrow, but I enjoy the hell out of this book. And it's even better on rereads to catch what you've missed. Stoked to finally have Peace Talks, though.
Madmarttigan
AG
Gonna binge this tomorrow
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.