The Gentlemen

4,942 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
BoydCrowder13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pretty great for a January movie. Plot jumps around a lot but plenty of great humor. Several really great monologues.

Could have really used subtitles at times though.
fig96
AG
Just back and this was a freakin' blast. Super entertaining and Colin Farrell is fantastic.

If you liked Snatch and Lock Stock you'll love this.
TCTTS
AG
Had no real desire to see this, as I can't remember the last Guy Ritchie movie I liked, but you guys have me curious now. May give this a shot tonight.
Birdwatcher
AG
One of the most fun movies in years
fig96
AG
This is definitely a return to Snatch/Lock Stock Guy Ritchie. Not quite as ridiculous as those but really fun.
Post removed:
by user
Max Power
AG
I liked it, but I'd say it's just good, not great. Most of the plot twists were pretty transparent and it's not nearly as fun as Lock, Stock, Snatch, or RocknRolla. McCaughney was good but it still made no sense for his character to be American, and the explanation was an obvious afterthought that was required due to the casting. Colin Farrell steals the show, he kills all his scenes.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Loved it. Wish Ritchie would keep cranking out movies like these every few years. I'd say it was on par with his earlier films. Shot in his signature style and several hilarious bits. Would recommend it!
TCTTS
AG
Ok, yeah, this was pretty great. Not amazing or anything, but WAY better than I expected. Just incredibly entertaining all around. Hugh Grant was fantastic, as was Colin Farrell. Even Charlie Hunnam, who's usually pretty wooden, was good, to the point where I want to see him in more roles like this. Heck, our audience actually clapped at the end. It really is a ton of fun, with great dialogue and a plot that will keep you guessing 'til the very end. Would definitely recommend.
TCTTS
AG
My one gripe would be Jeremy Strong. I usually really like him, but whatever he was going for with his whole effeminate thing just felt off. Not offensive or anything, just... flat and a little weird. Also, I won't go so far as to say this movie is racist (as I'm starting to see it being accused of in a couple of headlines). It's not. But it *was* kind of surprising to see so much racial humor in a movie nowadays. It all felt innocent enough, I'm just commenting on the fact that, in today's day and age, it really stuck out to me as something I hadn't seen in a long time. Just more of a "Oh, yeah, some movies used to be like this" observation.
Silky Johnston
My wife and I saw it last night and loved it. Incredibly entertaining from beginning to end. I didn't think the twists were too transparent and was surprised by most. Colin Farrell was the highlight of the movie, but I didn't think any of the characters were a weak-link.

Racist? Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ, can we enjoy anything anymore without everything being "problematic"? Your comment is the first I am seeing about racism and is the first time it entered my mind.
Saxsoon
AG
It was fun and agreed on Hunnam, he was really enjoyable. And I literally could barely see Hugh Grant underneath that *******. Holy crap never seen him like that.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
corleoneAg99
AG
fig96
AG
Silky Johnston said:

Racist? Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ, can we enjoy anything anymore without everything being "problematic"? Your comment is the first I am seeing about racism and is the first time it entered my mind.
Overreact much? No one called it racist, they just mentioned the racial humor being unusual these days.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Ok, yeah, this was pretty great. Not amazing or anything, but WAY better than I expected. Just incredibly entertaining all around. Hugh Grant was fantastic, as was Colin Farrell. Even Charlie Hunnam, who's usually pretty wooden, was good, to the point where I want to see him in more roles like this. Heck, our audience actually clapped at the end. It really is a ton of fun, with great dialogue and a plot that will keep you guessing 'til the very end. Would definitely recommend.
I think I was lucky enough to see Hunnam in a tv show called Undeclared first, as opposed to Sons of Anarchy (which he was definitely the main reason to watch) . That and Green Street Hooligans.
fig96
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

I think I was lucky enough to see Hunnam in a tv show called Undeclared first, as opposed to Sons of Anarchy (which he was definitely the main reason to watch) . That and Green Street Hooligans.
I had no idea he was in Green Street Hooligans till we were looking at his IMDB after the movie. Need to go back and rewatch it now.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Max Power said:

I liked it, but I'd say it's just good, not great. Most of the plot twists were pretty transparent
Some but not most. That thing had more changes of direction than a Billy Whiteshoes Johnson punt return
Quote:

McCaughney was good but it still made no sense for his character to be American, and the explanation was an obvious afterthought that was required due to the casting.
I thought the explanation was great and set the movie up perfectly
Quote:

Colin Farrell steals the show, he kills all his scenes.
CF was great but, I thought Hugh Grant did the best acting job. With all the make-up, I didn't realise it was him until the credits.
HollywoodBQ
AG
fig96 said:

Silky Johnston said:

Overreact much? No one called it racist, they just mentioned the racial humor being unusual these days.
I actually really liked the way he broke down the distinction between being Black and being a K.Hunt. Anybody who can't follow that explanation should rewatch it as many times as necessary until they understand it.
HollywoodBQ
AG
TCTTS said:

Heck, our audience actually clapped at the end.
I'm looking forward to getting back to watching movies at the AMC in Burbank where clapping is common.
TCTTS
AG
That was pretty funny, and a well-executed distinction. The complaints of "racism" I'm seeing are geared more toward the Asian jokes/stereotypes, though (which, for the record, I thought were hilarious, as did the nearly sold out audience I saw it with).
fig96
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

fig96 said:

Silky Johnston said:

I actually really liked the way he broke down the distinction between being Black and being a K.Hunt. Anybody who can't follow that explanation should rewatch it as many times as necessary until they understand it.
Pretty much everything Farrell's character did was hilarious and/or awesome.
dreyOO
fig96 said:

Just back and this was a freakin' blast. Super entertaining and Colin Farrell is fantastic.

If you liked Snatch and Lock Stock you'll love this.

Agree with all of this. I was drinking so I need to watch it again. But i seem to recall really enjoying it
HollywoodBQ
AG
TCTTS said:

That was pretty funny, and a well-executed distinction. The complaints of "racism" I'm seeing are geared more toward the Asian jokes/stereotypes, though (which, for the record, I thought were hilarious, as did the nearly sold out audience I saw it with).
Ah, yeah, I forgot about the use of the word Chinaman. The way they did it in the movie was pretty funny and exactly what you'd expect from a bunch of Brits.

I really enjoyed seeing the lead guy from Crazy Rich Asians playing a bad guy.

Also, six degrees of separation, I was at the Hong Kong Jockey Club about 3 months ago and when I saw that in the movie, I was wanted to tell my wife - hey, that's the HKG Jockey Club and I was just there. Then the guy said he was watching horse racing from Hong Kong, so, that was pretty cool (for me).

And the Cantonese references were hilarious.
annie88
AG
Saw it last night. I thought it was very good, not quite as great as I expected but very, very good. I laughed many times, I like the humor. European humor is a little different in the American humor and of course they love the word **** and love to say **** off. Most of their movies and shows have a lot of those words in them. Game of Thrones, Dublin Murders, a lot of other European shows are very much like this.

I am curious to see if there will be a sequel since the Hugh Grant character kind of talked about that within the storyline.

Liked all the track suits the crew had.

I will say though I didn't think Michelle Dockery's cockney/lower class accent was very good, she has more of a polished accent IRL, but she did okay in the role.

I still enjoy Matthew McConaughey as an actor but he is starting to look a little rough. I thought Colin Farrell looked better than he did and he looked aged
as well.

I've never really been a big Hugh Grant fan I was not into him 20 years ago when everybody else was. I have never thought he was good-looking either. But I have seen him in several movies and limited series in the last few years, many quirky and dramatic and he does a very good job. I'm still not a great fan of his but he did a very good job in this movie.

Over all very enjoyable.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Silky Johnston
I was replying to the comment in which the poster said people were calling it racist. Who's overreacting now?
ClickClackAg31
AG
Maybe it's cuz it's been almost two decades since Snatch came out but I thought this movie was absolutely fantastic. Rivaling Snatch and potentially even surpassing it. Just incredible vintage Guy Ritchie. The dialogue, the characters, the humor (verbal and situational), all were just great.
fig96
AG
Silky Johnston said:

I was replying to the comment in which the poster said people were calling it racist. Who's overreacting now?
I'd say still you
fig96
AG
ClickClackAg31 said:

Maybe it's cuz it's been almost two decades since Snatch came out but I thought this movie was absolutely fantastic. Rivaling Snatch and potentially even surpassing it. Just incredible vintage Guy Ritchie. The dialogue, the characters, the humor (verbal and situational), all were just great.
I actually watched Snatch this afternoon after seeing The Gentlemen on Friday night. Still really great, but some of the editing and camera work does make it feel a little dated. But it is an almost 20 year old movie.
dmart90
AG
fig96 said:

ClickClackAg31 said:

I actually watched Snatch this afternoon after seeing The Gentlemen on Friday night. Still really great, but some of the editing and camera work does make it feel a little dated. But it is an almost 20 year old movie.
And still f/cking awesome, you Pikey c/nt!

Callate Donnie
Oh man, this thread is getting me jacked up. Thanks for all the posts. Huge fan of Ritchie (albeit, disappointed in some of his post snatch efforts like Rock n Rolla). I'm going to go get down this weekend.
Saxsoon
AG
One thing I learned, brits really ****ing love the c word
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Just got out. Loved it.

Not as much a comedy as I was expecting, but a much more engrossing script. All the actors were great, but special kudos to Hugh Grant and Charlie Hunnam, as they had the most to do and knocked it out of the park.

And I never knew just how funny it is to hear a grown man call another man a c**** was until now. It just kept getting funnier each time it was uttered. Which was a lot.

This one I'll definitely have to see again.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Saxsoon said:

I had to get used to that when we spent a month in NZ. Our friends pretty much replaced the word "guys" or "dudes" with that.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Saxsoon said:

Check out this explanation with Ricky Gervais.
Also, kind of funny to see Joe Rogan being just another guy in the room and not really having anything to say.

I can't find it right not but Isaac Butterfield has a really good video about that word and all its various usage forms.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Now this one would be great to watch BEFORE seeing the movie - to get a little tune up on your slang.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.