Netflix-inside the mind of Aaron Hernandez

7,352 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PanzerAggie06
Carlo4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Max Power said:

Don't forget Ray Carruth.
Assistant to the Murderer
Carlo4
AG
Hernandez or Bradley did the drive by one IMO. But I think we all know it was Hernandez. The fact they couldn't tell who is why, in my mind, he was acquitted. I mean the car in which the shots were fired was HIDING in his relatives house. He had tattoos that told the story. The shell casings were in the car. How was he not found guilty of something else there???

Personally, I think he killed them all (or attempted) because they called him a slur regarding his sexual orientation or knew his secret. He just couldn't handle it and wanted to be a tough guy like Bradley. Being raised by a dad that would hurt you if you weren't the typical alpha male, or being sexually assaulted at a young age like that.... he couldn't turn his life around, even with the talents he possessed to have a great career in the NFL.

It's just an insane, crazy, sad story.

Blackstreet
AG
So did Bradley go to trial for the murders of the two immigrants? If Hernandez is "not guilty", there is only one other person who could have done it. Seems like a slam dunk and would be an interesting trial to watch the lawyers play this one.
Cancelled
AG
Craig James
Bunk Moreland
Finished this last night. Was fascinating to get more information on his background and those close to him but overall it wasn't a very well made documentary imo. Definitely worth the watch though
Just finished it with the significant other. My verdict? It just wasn't just one thing that made him do the things he did. It was a combination of everything (father dying unexpectedly, mother dating family members husband just months later, closet homo, possibly molested as a child, CTE, drug use)
johnnyblaze36
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Finished this last night. Was fascinating to get more information on his background and those close to him but overall it wasn't a very well made documentary imo. Definitely worth the watch though
I watched it all last night as well and thought it was very well done. What could have made it better in your opinion? Just curious.

The whole story is nuts and he definitely did kill those other two. Jose Baez is one helluva defense attorney.
Bunk Moreland
Production value. I think for a documentary they wavered off course at times. The hs QB and his dad stuck out so awkwardly. It's as if they took the ancillary topics and went with em a bit long and lost focus on the subject of the doc.

I should state I definitely enjoyed it enough for the investment in time. I love documentaries about all subjects but the subject matter alone was going to ensure it'd be a winner. Given that, I just wasn't as much of a fan of how they decided to put it together and present it to us.

After having watched it, they should have honed in a lot more on the Aaron moving in with Tanya. They cover it and mention it but try to weave it into a bigger picture. Imo that is the picture. For whatever his mental demons or faults, moving in with her and hanging with criminals during such an important time in the development of a boy to a man is what led him down a dark path.
johnnyblaze36
AG
That is a great point. Maybe they just didn't have enough source material to focus in on Tanya, especially since she didn't have security cameras and is dead. But you're right and I'd love to know more about the daily scene and ongoings in that household.
Big Al 1992
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

I watched it all last night as well and thought it was very well done. What could have made it better in your opinion? Just curious.

The whole story is nuts and he definitely did kill those other two. Jose Baez is one helluva defense attorney.

A lot of it was clips from previous interviews - Dr Oz, Dr Phil, HBO, ESPN. Not a lot of new information.
f burg ag
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Production value. I think for a documentary they wavered off course at times for. The hs QB and his dad stuck out so awkwardly. It's as if they took the ancillary topics and went with em a bit long and lost focus on the subject of the doc.

I should state I definitely enjoyed it enough for the investment in time. I love documentaries about all subjects but the subject matter alone was going to ensure it'd be a winner. Given that, I just wasn't as much of a fan of how they decided to put it together and present it to us.

After having watched it, they should have honed in a lot more on the Aaron moving in with Tanya. They cover it and mention it but try to weave it into a bigger picture. Imo that is the picture. For whatever his mental demons or faults, moving in with her and hanging with criminals during such an important time in the development of a boy to a man is what led him down a dark path.
I agree with this. Also, I would have followed the chronology of events in his life. I understand the impact that flashbacks can have, but I think a straightforward chronology would have been more impactful.
Bunk Moreland
Yep. The way they went back and forth for effect translated OK but not great.
Bunk Moreland
Yeah that's my guess too (re: lack of material) but I feel like they also buried it into the larger picture because they wanted to drive home homosexuality, CTE and other pressures. And that's fine but I just think those weren't as impactful as that simple move to Tanya's.
Jaxson11
AG
The documentary needed more focus. They should have focused more time on his molestation and his home life growing up with his dad and mom (domestic abuse) instead of CTE, the business of college football, the Patriots gay lineman and gay high school QB who seems like a guy eager to cash in on this situation.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
OJ Simpson

NOT a Jew.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Dan Pastorini killed two people when his speedboat locked up during a drag race in 1977 - not as good of a QB as Vick, but definitely better at killing actual people as opposed to dogs.
SACR
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

OJ Simpson

NOT a Jew.
You know who is? Hall of Famer Rod Carew
Bruce Almighty
AG
He converted
ATM9000
AG
Documentary is good... though really all it seemed to do is cover the same thing that Boston Globe (I think?) podcast series did on it a while back.

The most fascinating thing to me were the recordings of the phone conversations. Think it really illuminated how immature Hernandez really was for his age.
chris1515
AG
I didn't realize how young he was when he came into the NFL and when all this happened. I think they said he was 20 when he came into the league.

Then when the brain doctor said his damage could have started a decade ago...that would be in his very early teens.

To me it felt like they had enough material for 2 episodes but needed to stretch it out to 3 to get more of that Netflix money.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Some interesting musical choices in the intro and scattered throughout
amercer
AG
I liked it.

Had no idea just how many people he shot.

I don't think you can blame it on CTE, but his brain was really messed up. I know it wasn't a science documentary but I would have liked a neurologist to comment on how smoking a pound of weed a day might have also lead to physiological changes in brain anatomy.

Not that I'm blaming this one weed. Clearly it was a lot of factors like abuse, suppressed sexuality, a domineering father, the loss of that role model at a young age, drugs, criminal friends, concussions, ect that turned this guy into a total psycho.
Rascal
AG
amercer said:

I liked it.

Had no idea just how many people he shot.

I don't think you can blame it on CTE, but his brain was really messed up. I know it wasn't a science documentary but I would have liked a neurologist to comment on how smoking a pound of weed a day might have also lead to physiological changes in brain anatomy.

Not that I'm blaming this one weed.
Clearly it was a lot of factors like abuse, suppressed sexuality, a domineering father, the loss of that role model at a young age, drugs, criminal friends, concussions, ect that turned this guy into a total psycho.
My wife works in the medical profession and I essentially asked her this question too. She seems to think you can easily differentiate between CTE causes and those related to drug use?

It seems unfathomable that CTE could impact someone at such an early age.

Regardless, CTE is no excuse for what he did and this doc seemed to kind of lay some groundwork for excusing it to some degree.

I'm also confused as to the degree of his bi-sexuality. So, did his fiancee not know at all? Was his sole partner his best friend or did he have several other homosexual relationships up until his death?

Seems like a lot of missing pieces to this doc.

But, I enjoyed watching it.
WestAustinAg
AG
Cam Newton.

He has to be guilty of murdering male fashion.

PanzerAggie06
AG
The Hernandez story is an example of a perfect storm of sorts. He was from an abusive household. He was told from very early on how awesome he was because of his athletic ability which led to a god complex of sorts. He went to a school that looked the other way on numerous occasions when he acted poorly. He was suffering from a certain degree of brain damage. He was given millions of dollars and a huge amount of fame. And just so there was a cherry on top of all this he was a closeted self-loathing homosexual. Not really shocking this story ended the way it did.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.