** Richard Jewell ** Clint Eastwood Film

12,053 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bones08 said:

Not to completely derail, but I still find it weird that of all the interesting true stories out there that Sully was chosen to be made into a film. Sully?!? The true story isn't the least bit interesting to me.

When was the last time a commercial airplane suffered a complete engine failure and performed a water landing with zero deaths (float planes excluded)?
mazag08
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Bones08 said:

Not to completely derail, but I still find it weird that of all the interesting true stories out there that Sully was chosen to be made into a film. Sully?!? The true story isn't the least bit interesting to me.

When was the last time a commercial airplane suffered a complete engine failure and performed a water landing with zero deaths (float planes excluded)?
We don't know. There's been plenty in the Bermuda triangle, but the aliens intercept them and take them to their underwater base before we even know what happened.

I guess we'll find out when they attack us with their army of reprogrammed superhumans.
tk for tu juan
That plot is too close to Transformers or AVP
TCTTS
AG

https://theplaylist.net/richard-jewell-afi-review-20191121/
astros4545
AG
brucoh said:

nai06 said:

Maybe its just me, but I don't find the story all that compelling. I remember when it all unfolded and it was a big deal in the news. I just don't see how that translates into an interesting movie.. That being said I'll probably see it because of the casting
I think this guy getting completely railroaded by the media and the FBI is a very compelling story. I remember all this unfolding too.

I was 8 years old in '96

And if you asked me who did the Altlanta bombing, I would have told you Richard Jewel last of recently

It's the only name I associate with it
Fenrir
David Poland sounds a little disappointed he couldn't rail on this movie for being an alt right wet dream.
BigBrother
AG
brucoh said:

nai06 said:

Maybe its just me, but I don't find the story all that compelling. I remember when it all unfolded and it was a big deal in the news. I just don't see how that translates into an interesting movie.. That being said I'll probably see it because of the casting
I think this guy getting completely railroaded by the media and the FBI is a very compelling story. I remember all this unfolding too.
Why does every thread have to be turned into a Trump thread?
bonfarr
AG
nai06 said:

I think the story is fascinating when you look back on the history of the FBI and the Feds at that time. In a 5 or 6 year span you had the Ruby Ridge and Waco debacles and then the FBI tries to railroad the poor mall cop guy for the bombing. I am interested to see how the media became complicit in this story too.
Post removed:
by user
AgPediRPh
AG
LHIOB said:

Beware of Doug said:

Guy playing RJ was great in I, Toyna.

He was amazing in I, Tonya
Hated him in Cobra Kai. Hopefully he wins the Oscar for Jewell and decides not to appear in Season 3.
PatAg
AG
Richard Jewell is not a bad film. But there is not an ounce of the unknown in the script. All that is left is for Jewell to grow up. Which is well done. But yawn. In a way, I am relieved that it's not a right wing screed. But at least that might have been more exciting. Sigh

I feel like I'm not understanding something in this tweet. Couldn't this be said for any movie made about a relatively recent event?
TCTTS
AG
Interesting take (and not what some of you are probably thinking)...

https://reason.com/2019/12/13/richard-jewell-shows-what-a-conservative-hollywood-would-look-like/
TCTTS
AG
I saw this late last night and it's actually not half bad. I went in expecting to dislike yet another Eastwood effort, and while there's definitely a bit of awkwardness and a few head-scratching decisions throughout, this is easily Eastwood's most competent movie in years. Paul Walter Hauser, in particular, gives a great performance as Jewell. That said, I had seen all of the Olivia Wilde takes (basically saying she gives a batsh*t insane performance) and I was not disappointed in that regard. It really is like she's in another movie, and her intro scene, in particular, is so off-pitch and bizarre. I usually really like Wilde, but man is she bad in this. Even so, she livens things up a bit, even if for all the wrong reasons, and I'd still recommend the movie as a whole for anyone looking to kill a couple of hours. I don't know that I'd pay to see in the theater (it was literally just me and two other random dudes), but it's worth a view on streaming for sure.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Fantastic movie. If even 20% of it is accurate, it confirms all your worst fears about law enforcement in this country. Guy pushed dozens of people, maybe more than one hundred out of harm's way and got treated like Lee Harvey Oswald for it, and when they figured out they had the wrong guy, all they did was hand him a piece of paper saying "you're no longer a target."

In the era of Meryl Streep, Kathy Bates is tragically underappreciated for her remarkable versatility.
The guy who plays RJ turns a punchline to a million jokes into a real person.
Sam Rockwell - my favorite actor forever, finally getting to show how fantastic he can be as an emotional powerhouse. I don't know anything about what makes an acting performance worthy of awards, but he's just as good in this as he was in 3 Billboards.

As a younger man, I once messed up to the point of having to talk to the cops in a small room. This movie had me emotional from start to finish watching the way they lied to the guy, tried to entrap him time and again, and used his perceptions of law enforcement, respect, and trust to manipulate him and the truth.
Redstone
AG
I was 16 for these Olympics and followed the controversy in real time.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
When I was 16, a friend and I were bored and stupidly decided to shoot cars with a BB gun from my second story bedroom window one weekend when my parents were out of town. The cops eventually showed up and immediately separated us. We both maintained our lies (that we saw some kids on bikes shooting the cars) but after a few minutes they lied in return and told each of us, separately, that "your buddy just cracked and told us everything." The idiots we were (on multiple levels), we believed them, and I finally showed them the BB gun, hidden in the attic. We got arrested, had our mugshots and fingerprints taken, and then I had to work on a trash truck for a week to pay off my half of the damages to the car (a dinged windshield and a new paint job on the back), do 15 hours of community service, and then attend four "Positive Steps" classes with fellow juvenile delinquents, one of which was a Hispanic kid everyone called "Chicken Nugget" because that's exactly what he was shaped like. Come to think of it, this was either the last or second to last weekend of July 1996. So this might have very well been the same weekend as the bombing, which would explain why I have almost no recollection of it happening in real time (though I vividly remember watching Michael Johnson break the 200m record days later).
TCTTS
AG
Redstone said:

We're the same age.
Redstone
AG
IIRC, I believe I remember hearing about this. Glad the police quickly did their job.
Sex Panther
AG
Redstone said:

IIRC, I believe I remember hearing about this. Glad the police quickly did their job.
Burdizzo
AG
I was in my mid-20s when this happened, but I was so busy trying to make a living I had missed a lot a forgotten a lot of details. Like another poster above, I still associate RJ's name with the bombing and not a good way. I remember Eric Rudolph too, but think of him in the context of a guy who blew up abortion clinics. In fact, I didn't realize he was the bomber until I read the Wikipedia page this week.

I will save all my anti-law enforcement and anti-media bashing for Forum 16.

Thanks for all the reviews above. I will probably catch this one when available on streaming.
swimmerbabe11
The guy playing Richard Jewell is an LCMS Lutheran.

That's it, that's all I have to contribute to this thread.
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

Redstone said:

We're the same age.

Both the same age, both went to A&M, both posting on Texags about their experiences working in Hollywood...so can we definitively conclude at this point that TCTTS is schizo and Redstone is his alternate personality (or vice versa).
agsquirrel97
AG
TCTTS said:

When I was 16, a friend and I were bored and stupidly decided to shoot cars with a BB gun from my second story bedroom window one weekend when my parents were out of town. The cops eventually showed up and immediately separated us. We both maintained our lies (that we saw some kids on bikes shooting the cars) but after a few minutes they lied in return and told each of us, separately, that "your buddy just cracked and told us everything." The idiots we were (on multiple levels), we believed them, and I finally showed them the BB gun, hidden in the attic. We got arrested, had our mugshots and fingerprints taken, and then I had to work on a trash truck for a week to pay off my half of the damages to the car (a dinged windshield and a new paint job on the back), do 15 hours of community service, and then attend four "Positive Steps" classes with fellow juvenile delinquents, one of which was a Hispanic kid everyone called "Chicken Nugget" because that's exactly what he was shaped like. Come to think of it, this was either the last or second to last weekend of July 1996. So this might have very well been the same weekend as the bombing, which would explain why I have almost no recollection of it happening in real time (though I vividly remember watching Michael Johnson break the 200m record days later).
Did you actually do it, or did the cops and media force you to admit to it because the kids on the bikes were actually Lance Armstrong and his mates and they had to be protected, you can tell us.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
15 hours? I got 200 for cracking a frat boy's skull open on a bar rail. I could write a bestseller called the things you learn during 200 hours if community service
TCTTS
AG
Ha. And I would very much like to read it.
BoydCrowder13
Just got back from seeing it. Great movie. Thought this was one of the better Clint Eastwood movies in a while.

Sam Rockwell is a national treasure. Always love when he gets roles.

Guy playing Jewel did a great job as well.

I don't always love Eastwood movies but he is an important part of Hollywood. One of the only open conservative mainstream directors.

My 3 most recent movies have been Dark Waters, The Report and Richard Jewell. Interesting to see the different messages across the political spectrum back to back to back. Environmentalism and the evils of capitalism, anti-Republican and anti-war sentiment, anti-media and anti FBI sentiment. Very different movies.
TCTTS
AG
I don't want to start a whole thing, but Dark Waters was hardly about "environmentalism." DuPont was literally and knowingly *poisoning* the city's water. They weren't just cutting down trees and some people got mad. That, and it wasn't anti-capitalism at all. It was anti-making-money-off-of-killing-people. I didn't sense a political or cultural slant/bias in that movie in any way.

But yeah, I'll give you anti-Republican and anti-war to an extent in The Report, though it was more anti-lying and anti-torcher than anything.

As for Richard Jewell, I think it balanced the two "sides" well. It was absolutely anti-media, as it should have been in that situation (if not a bit too over the top in Olivia Wilde's representation), and definitely anti-FBI (or, at least, anti-assh*les-in-the-FBI). But while it was clearly on Jewell's side, it also took a couple of justifiable digs at him, being the gun-obsessed, law-obsessed weirdo that he was. His arc, in that sense, was really well done.
BoydCrowder13
TCTTS said:

I don't want to start a whole thing, but Dark Waters was hardly about "environmentalism." DuPont was literally and knowingly *poisoning* the city's water. They weren't just cutting down trees and some people got mad. That, and it wasn't anti-capitalism at all. It was anti-making-money-off-of-killing-people. I didn't sense a political or cultural slant/bias in that movie in any way.

But yeah, I'll give you anti-Republican and anti-war to an extent in The Report, though it was more anti-lying and anti-torcher than anything.

As for Richard Jewell, I think it balanced the two "sides" well. It was absolutely anti-media, as it should have been in that situation (if not a bit too over the top in Olivia Wilde's representation), and definitely anti-FBI (or, at least, anti-assh*les in the FBI). But while it was clearly on Jewell's side, it also took a couple of justifiable digs at him, being the gun-obsessed, law-obsessed weirdo that he was. His arc, in that sense, was really well done.

I am a political junkie and always have been. I really have to work to turn off that side of my brain when watching movies. I'm a movie junkie too so that is difficult. If the actor or director is a known political zealot, I'm going to naturally clue into themes in their movies.

Dark Waters was well done. I suggest people watch it. I just did have a hard time separating Ruffalo from the message. He is a huge environmentalist (that's like his main deal) and a huge Warren and Bernie guy. He is a great actor but in that type of movie I have a difficult time separating it because it is clearly a pet project for him. Like I said though, I didn't feel too beaten over the head.

The Report is going to have a left lean and you know that going in. It even directly referenced Zero Dark Thirty as CIA propaganda in the movie. I thought that was kind of meta and funny. You enjoy it but see the obvious bias.

This movie obviously showed Jewell as an odd guy. But a kind man that just wasn't too bright. Trump may have started the Fake News craze, but the media has always kinda sucked. Sensationalist reporting is honestly one of the biggest dangers to our society (social media and online mobs have made it worse). Great cautionary tale to remind people not to rush to judgement or believe everything they see on TV or Facebook. Most times people just want clicks.
TCTTS
AG
Very well said. I agree on all accounts. And yeah, I like Ruffalo as an actor, but even I get annoyed with his advocacy from time to time.
Captain Pablo
AG
Tanks at the Box Office

The very press who destroyed Jewell is trying to destroy the movie

https://www.showbiz411.com/2019/12/14/box-office-clint-eastwoods-praised-richard-jewell-gets-disappointing-start-after-controversy-threatens-to-kill-it
expresswrittenconsent
Needs more 3ways with 90yr old Clint.
OldArmy71
AG
I wish I could find an objective accounting of how culpable the newspapers actually were and how accurate the AJC attack on the movie's depiction of the female reporter is.
A

Any ideas?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.