HGTV

5,490 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by YouBet
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Food Network thread got me to thinking about this because we watch alot of both. There are literally 211 "different" reality shows on HGTV more or less about the same GD thing. Just on one network.

That's incredible.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Joanna Gaines sneaky sexy tho.

I like that show.. would like a lot more if they didn't attend the worst school in Texas and advertise it any chance they get. Worst show was flip or flop.
chipotle
And most of those shows are crazy fake. But I'll still watch the s*** out Of it.
Texaggie7nine
You think that's crazy, check out the Playboy Channel.
7nine
bearamedic99
AG
Remember when the history channel was about history and not fake reality shows or aliens?
95_Aggie
AG
Remember when TLC was actually about learning stuff and not morbidly obese people popping pimples?
Max Power
AG
You've been pre-qualified for up to $750k so here are several homes to choose from that are more expensive than that, perhaps we can negotiate down to $749,500 and call that a win.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I remember watching one of those House Hunting shows that took place in B/CS several years ago. None of it made much sense.

One of the requirements for the husband was being close to campus, as he worked there. So one of the houses they looked at was in Bryan near Blinn?

Anyway, the woman who was their "realtor" goes to our church and my wife and I heard the story: she was contacted to act as their real estate agent, the couple had already closed on their home, one of their "choices" was just a random home for sale and the third "choice" was a friend of the couple who just moved stuff out of certain rooms so as to appear like an empty house.

That was it for me. It's all BS.

I would still watch Chip and Joanna, but skip to the actual renovation.
AggieChemist
AG
jm94
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

Worst show was flip or flop.
Agree to disagree. I loved me some ForF.
Seven Costanza
AG
Does anyone really care about premise of the show? Isn't it all just filler to stretch the before & after shots from 1 minute to 30 minutes and to give the hosts scenarios in which they can be likable or entertaining?
TCTTS
AG
Very well put. In fact, I have never once watched any of these shows for the drama or personalities. It's solely to see the before/after, and the investment I'm giving them in return is 20 minutes of whatever they want to fill it with to get that. If that 20 minutes is fake, scripted nonsense, I could not care less.
TCTTS
AG
That said, it *is* a nice little bonus when it's a couple you can audibly mock and make fun of with whoever happens to be watching with you.
duck79
AG
I read an article last week about House Hunters. They have already purchased the home they choose in the show and the show finds 2 other houses to show them that fit criteria.
Bunk Moreland
duck79 said:

I read an article last week about House Hunters. They have already purchased the home they choose in the show and the show finds 2 other houses to show them that fit criteria.

They at least gave to be under contract. There are a few rare ones out there where they at the end just decide 'not to buy' at that time. Those I think are when the contract falls through.

Also they sometimes work with the family on the show to have friends just stage their homes to be the 'others' when a local realtor can't get them into one's they want.

Same philosophy as the lake/beach front bargain hunts etc.

I've known people or been once removed from people who were either featured or were the realtors featured.
Bunk Moreland
As for my watching, I'm now mainly lake/Beach front bargain hunt and always hoping it's a 'renovation' episode.

The rest I don't really watch.
YouBet
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

As for my watching, I'm now mainly lake/Beach front bargain hunt and always hoping it's a 'renovation' episode.

The rest I don't really watch.
Yeah, I like the lake one the best at this point but the one where they actually have a budget though. Haven't actually seen that one in a while. It seems like the shows where folks have a budget larger than about $400k are almost all gone.
gigemags-99
AG
A Very Brady Renovation
AtlAg05
AG
I've casually watched a few shows while at the gym. I think it was love/list 2 where the couple balked at a $10K roof replacement, but then their budget was $1.1M. "We'll let the next owners deal with it"

wildmen09
AG
We appled for House Hunters International before we moved to Italy. Went through an interview to then tell us that we had to have a house picked out then we would view other similar homes. Also, our realtor in North Dakota showed his home on an episode acting like it was for sale.

They offered us $1.5K to be on House Hunters International, which isnt too shabby for 2 days work.
Gigem314
AG
AggieChemist said:

YouBet
AG
The greatest thing about these shows is that a house could have foundation issues, systemic HVAC issues, a staircase that literally descends to hell, a couple of feral babies crawling around the attic, a bug infestation that rivals Creepshow, but........

It has granite countertops.

Cut to epilogue - "We ended up paying full price. I just had to have those granite countertops".
TCTTS
AG
YouBet, that reminds me... random question, but still on topic...

A few months ago I actually had a movie idea based on an HGTV remodeling-type show. I don't want to get into details yet, other than it would be part-comedy, but what are some of y'all's favorite tropes from shows like this? Situations, people-types (both hosts and clients), jargon, etc.?
Bunk Moreland
Nobody answer until TCTTS gets you a WGA membership and credit.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

A few months ago I actually had a movie idea based on an HGTV remodeling-type show. I don't want to get into details yet, other than it would be part-comedy, but what are some of y'all's favorite tropes from shows like this? Situations, people-types (both hosts and clients), jargon, etc.?
I always make up passive aggressive/snide dialogue for the hosts, because they must have some crazy baggage between them behind the camera.
TCTTS
AG
Sure thing. As soon as the WGA recognizes "message board fodder" as an official credit.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, the under-the-surface drama/history between certain co-hosts is rife I'm sure.
Counterpoint
AG
TCTTS said:

When the couple buying the house are horrible actors and are trying to sound spontaneous even though the producers have probably made them redo the scene several times.

When they come up with really dumb negatives about the house they are obviously going to pick, just to add drama.
heddleston
AG
Had a friend do House Hunters, but she was fully moved in to her condo and had been there for several months. They brought movers, emptied it out and shot the episode, then moved it all back in.
'03ag
TCTTS said:

Their contractor's name has to be Randy Cody. Gordon Keith of Dallas radio can write most of his lines for you.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

The granite countertops is seriously number one. The house could be falling down all around them, but if the kitchen has granite countertops that somehow can overrule serious problems elsewhere.

Getting angry or upset about paint or carpet and ruling out a house because of it - the two easiest things to change of almost anything.

It has to be an OPEN FLOORPLAN. I've actually seen one episode in the hundreds of these that I've watched where the husband wanted a closed floor plan. I was shocked and that one reeled me in right away. I believe it was a gay couple and one of the guys wanted all the rooms closed off and to not be able to see any of the other rooms. I swear he was trolling.

Wife wants move in ready and husband wants fixer upper. Have seen same trope at play with both gay and lesbian couples.

Wow, this huge vaulted entry way (that wastes about 800 sq ft in an 1,800 sq ft house that has no functional purpose other than to give me an unnecessarily high utility bill) really makes the house look larger. I love it!

Wife never likes the cabinets. But, the siren call of granite countertops can sometimes override her hatred of cabinets!

One wants modern and one wants traditional.

I'll think of others....
YouBet
AG
Not necessarily a trope but particularly prevalent on Love it or Leave It the leave it guy has a hard on with en suites to the point that it rivals granite countertops for women.

You could do a drinking game based solely on this word during a Love It or Leave It marathon. That must be a northern thing? Never really heard this term until this show.
YouBet
AG
Single woman moving to the Caribbean on House Hunters International. Surprised by the number of these. I can't recall a show with a single guy doing this.
Bunk Moreland
YouBet said:

Single woman moving to the Caribbean on House Hunters International. Surprised by the number of these. I can't recall a show with a single guy doing this.

That's because the guy still has to go to work on Monday. She just has half his money.
Texaggie7nine
TCTTS said:

I smell a rom-com based off the Fixer Upper couple.

I hope Mathew Mcconaughey is available.
7nine
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.