** Uncut Gems: Adam Sandler **

28,861 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by texasaggie04
maxag42
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just watched the movie. Adam Sandler blew me away. He was incredible in it. I knew he had good acting chops. Problem was he just made too many comedic movies(which I love) for people to take him seriously in drama roles. This one though, I couldn't see anyone else except him doing this. He was freaking awesome. The directors also did a great job. I saw their other movie, good time, and funny enough I saw Robert Pattinson in a different light compared to his other movies. I can't wait to see what the Safdie brothers do in their next movie.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I gave this a try last night. Didn't make it through it. As said, Sandler was doing a great job. I just didn't find any characters that I liked or really cared about. Everybody in the movie was a piece of crap and that made me apathetic to their problems. I am sure it was a great ending where Happy escapes a death sentence, but I didn't care enough to stay awake and see. Don't take this review as me bagging on the film. This is simply a case of this film wasn't my cup of tea.
Seven Costanza
AG
Same here. It wasn't bad, but I got tired of it with about 40 minutes left and just decided to read the rest of the plot on Wikipedia.
Fairview
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Everybody in the movie was a piece of crap and that made me apathetic to their problems. I am sure it was a great ending where Happy escapes a death sentence, but I didn't care enough to stay awake and see.

You're right that there is no redeeming character in the whole thing and it doesn't follow the typical movie arc which made it pretty unique theses days. It wasn't my favorite either and I'll probably never watch it again. That said your assumptions about the parts you didn't watch are way off.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Got about 20 minutes into it last night with the wife and switched it off.

Absolutely nothing in those 20 minutes was remotely interesting or watchable. Kevin Garnett jewelry shopping? No thanks.
Max Power
AG
Finally got around to watching it, and it was great. Movie had me nervous and on the edge of my seat the whole time, it's hard for me to watch movies centered around people with gambling issues. Oh man, that ending, I had a feeling something was going to happen, but I was still surprised. This movie is worth your time for sure, I enjoyed it.
KidDoc
AG
Watched it tonight and not a fan. Nobody to root for, shouting in EVERY SINGLE scene non stop, just a big bunch of meh for me.

As has been mentioned it is not for everyone and for me it is a hard pass and I kept waiting for it to get great and .. it didn't.

I usually do not like Oscar type films so I guess it fits my typical profile.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Proposition Joe
Caught it on Netflix this last weekend.

Decent watch, but don't really get what all the fuss was about. Sandler played the role well, but IMO getting a little too much praise for simply "not being slapstick Sandler"... His performance wasn't something I felt was Best Actor worthy. Honestly Julia Fox was far more impressive to me (in a lot of ways -- but namely her acting).

Everything else I felt was somewhat plodding at times. I didn't find it to be a very deep movie character wise outside of Sandler and his girlfriend. None of the other characters really had any depth whatsoever.

IMO the ending made it poignant, and it did a good job of displaying the addiction and how some guys can convince themselves that they are so much smarter/savvy than they really are, all the while ruining what was a pretty good life and hurting those around them.
MichaelJ
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Caught it on Netflix this last weekend.

Decent watch, but don't really get what all the fuss was about. Sandler played the role well, but IMO getting a little too much praise for simply "not being slapstick Sandler"... His performance wasn't something I felt was Best Actor worthy. Honestly Julia Fox was far more impressive to me (in a lot of ways -- but namely her acting).

Everything else I felt was somewhat plodding at times. I didn't find it to be a very deep movie character wise outside of Sandler and his girlfriend. None of the other characters really had any depth whatsoever.

IMO the ending made it poignant, and it did a good job of displaying the addiction and how some guys can convince themselves that they are so much smarter/savvy than they really are, all the while ruining what was a pretty good life and hurting those around them.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on this movie.
Proposition Joe
Adding to the addiction part -- this is a guy who put in the work and cultivated a "deal" that got him a $200k+ opal... His means to success was there and proven.

But that kind of success wasn't enough for his addiction -- for whatever reason taking stupid bets (action points, parlays, props, etc...) was where he needed to find success. The only aspect of gambling addiction that I did think they missed out on showing is the blame game. When you see guys like that, they can't go more than 5 minutes without talking about how this player or this ref screwed them out of a big win.
fig96
AG
Watched last night and that was...intense.

I can totally see how it's not everyone's cup of tea, and I doubt I'll watch it again anytime soon, but it was really good. Definitely an anxious film overall, but there were some great moments of tension all throughout the film and Sandler was really good.

I thought he did a great job portraying this crazy addicted kind of character and would've been totally ok with him getting a best actor nod.
TCTTS
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
Saw this on Netflix last night. I had trouble sleeping afterwards from the straight adrenaline rush this movie was!

Really liked the movie. I think Sandler should have been nominated for his role.

Reading through some of the comments on here and disdain for it, I wonder what the crossover is with people liking this movie and liking the show Mad Men (in people that have watched both). I loved Mad Men, but a big gripe a lot of viewers had was that there were no redeemable characters and they didn't/couldn't "root" for anyone.
TCTTS
AG
Mad Men is my all time favorite show. Uncut Gems is one of my favorite movies of 2019.
Chase McGuire
Caught this a couple nights ago. I liked it, but I wouldn't put it quite on the level of the top movies I saw in 2019.

Really enjoyed how the tension rose steadily throughout the film then was taken away in an instant. It was like a balloon popping because it had too much air.

Sandler was great. The movie kind of felt like Joker in the sense that one character was the focus the entire time. It was all about him in this one. Enjoyable watch.
cr0wbar
AG
That's an uncut gem on Julia Fox
GCRanger
AG
Wife and I watched it tonight. Holy crap, I'm stressed. We both really liked it. I could watch it again but she can't handle another round of the stress. Loved seeing Adam in a serious role. KG was good too.
texasaggie04
AG
Finally watched this tonight. My heart is still racing. Absolute shame that Sandler didn't get a nomination for an Oscar.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.