** Uncut Gems: Adam Sandler **

28,843 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by texasaggie04
FancyKetchup14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow. Not what I was expecting when I saw this, but it looks fantastic. After reading about it, evidently this killed it at Telluride film festival. Comes out December 13th.

Slightly NSFW

M.C. Swag
AG
John Turturro is incredible
redd38
AG
Doesn't look very funny
Flashdiaz
AG
redd38 said:

Doesn't look very funny
so you're typical recent Sandler movie
gif
redd38 said:

Doesn't look very funny

?downsize=700:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto
BassCowboy33
Count. Me. In.
TCTTS
AG
This looks awesome. In addition to Sandler, apparently Garnett is legit great in this too...

https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/kevin-garnett-in-uncut-gems-are-you-ready.html
JW_TXAG13
AG
Oh wow this surprised me. Actually looks really good
phatbc
Count me in mothertruckers
CrottyKid
AG
I'm totally in on this. Looks like it is gonna be a great flick.

However, it would be hilarious if SNL did a spoof trailer for this movie where in all the serious dialogue scenes, an actor impersonating Adam Sandler did his goofy voice and hand gestures, "Zibbidy Doooo!"
AgLiving06
Kinda looks like Sandler is turning into Pacino with that look.
Mort Rainey
This looks like ass
MaroonStain
AG
M.C. Swag said:

John Turturro is incredible

He was really good in 'The Night Of'. I don't know what he was thinking with this junk.

Is Sandler directing? I didn't Happy Gilmore at all.
Raptor
AG
Has an Ocean's 11 and Swordfish vibe.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

FancyKetchup14
AG
Hits theaters Friday
TCTTS
AG
THIS.

MOVIE.

IS.

IN.

SANE.

In the best possible way.

Just two hours and fifteen minutes of absolutely unrelenting tension. And then when you think it's over, and you've seen the final act... well, you haven't seen anything yet.

Man, what a ride.

Really, I've never experienced anything quite like this movie before. It's so incredibly unique, and paints such a vivid, authentic, unsettling, atmospheric world. And the way Kevin Garnett is utilized, along with a couple other surprise cameos, is so odd and hilarious and original. Sandler, too, kills it in his role, as advertised. He'll be nominated for sure - I don't think he wins - but it's a hell of a performance either way. Just a great cast all around, with some truly memorable characters.

My showing was sold out with mostly a ton of hipster types - it was weirdly the place to be tonight - and afterward there were so many holy-sh*t-what-did-I-just-watch looks on people's faces, but faces that also appeared immensely satisfied. People looked shell shocked, like we'd all just watched a crazy intense fight break out, but a fight that was also kind of awesome and hilarious. There was just this punch-drunk vibe I can't quite explain, and a buzz in the lobby that I haven't felt in I don't know how long.

In that sense, this movie definitely isn't for everyone, but if you're even remotely thinking about seeing it, see it with as many people as you can. It's a great audience movie.

It opens in NY and LA this weekend, then goes wide on Christmas Day.

Prepare yourselves.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, and if you're a gambler, you're never going to bet on another sporting event again after this.

I may or may not have a bookie, who may or may not have almost died earlier this year - he may or may not be an old man who I didn't want to owe or be owed if he suddenly does kick the bucket - so I haven't bet in while, but I assure you I'm done for good after this, regardless.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Oh, and if you're a gambler, you're never going to bet on another sporting event again after this.

I'm gonna see it just because of this
FancyKetchup14
AG
This news has me pumped. Can't wait to see it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Am I an idiot that I have no idea what it's about?
TCTTS
AG
No. After seeing it, I get why the trailer has to be vague-ish. Not because of any real spoilers, but because it's such a tough plot to boil down to just two-and-a-half minutes. But the gist is this...

Quote:

Howard Ratner (Adam Sandler) is a charismatic New York City jeweler always on the lookout for the next big score. When he makes a series of high-stakes bets that could lead to the windfall of a lifetime, Howard must perform a precarious high-wire act, balancing business, family, and encroaching adversaries on all sides, in his relentless pursuit of the ultimate win.

Basically, despite his success (nice house in the suburbs with his family, an apartment in the city with his girlfriend), Howard owes a lot of people a lot of money. And the movie is essentially him trying to avoid all of these people hounding him while he's constantly doubling down and digging himself deeper and deeper to pay them all off. He's such a shady, slimy dude, one who finds himself in crazy situation after situation - really, the movie is relentless in compiling his problems - all of his own doing, of course, but he's also someone you can't help but root for.

I seriously can't stop thinking about it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

No. After seeing it, I get why the trailer has to be vague-ish. Not because of any real spoilers, but because it's such a tough plot to boil down to just two-and-a-half minutes. But the gist is this...

Quote:

Howard Ratner (Adam Sandler) is a charismatic New York City jeweler always on the lookout for the next big score. When he makes a series of high-stakes bets that could lead to the windfall of a lifetime, Howard must perform a precarious high-wire act, balancing business, family, and encroaching adversaries on all sides, in his relentless pursuit of the ultimate win.

Basically, despite his success (nice house in the suburbs with his family, an apartment in the city with his girlfriend), Howard owes a lot of people a lot of money. And the movie is essentially him trying to avoid all of these people hounding him while he's constantly doubling down and digging himself deeper and deeper to pay them all off. He's such a shady, slimy dude, one who finds himself in crazy situation after situation - really, the movie is relentless in compiling his problems - all of his own doing, of course, but he's also someone you can't help but root for.

I seriously can't stop thinking about it.

Sounds like it's going to stress me out the entire time.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, yep. But in the best way.
nohandle
AG
I haven't seen it yet but the director's previous film, "Good Time" is streaming on prime and is really good. Looking forward to this..
TCTTS
AG
I still haven't seen Good Time, but will be remedying that soon. The Safdie Brothers are going to be making great movies for a long, long time. These guys are the real deal.
nohandle
AG
Based on your description above, there are a lot of similarities. Plus it was shot on film(!!!)
Ulrich
Wait, so is the title a circumcision joke or not?
johnnyblaze36
AG
TCTTS said:

If that's the case and with the current streak I've been on then I cannot see this movie soon enough.

Also looking forward to the release of Boner Dogs.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, hell yes...

TCTTS
AG
Btw, I had a 20-minute conversation with a friend tonight who saw the movie last night and we could not stop raving about it to each other. Granted, his was a private screening with Ridley Scott and Pat Riley and a bunch of other names; a screening that also featured a Q&A with the Sandler and the Safdie Brothers after, so his experience might have been skewed a bit. Still, it was good to talk with someone else who has experienced this thing, and we just went on and on about it. I really can't wait for more people here to start seeing it next week.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Hell yes. I'll try and see it next weekend.
JD Shellnut
AG
You definitely need to check out Good Time. Before I had just thought of Pattinson as the "Twilight guy", but no more after seeing this movie. Excellent acting job and made me excited to see him get his shot at being Batman!
TCTTS
AG
Will do.
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.