Jury: Katy Perry's 'Dark Horse' copied Christian rap song

7,374 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Seven Costanza
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think she stole that move from Jenna Jameson, I smell another lawsuit coming
schmendeler
AG
Definitely a church girl
tk for tu juan
Here is an argument for the defense to use on an appeal

Leggo My Elko
AG
Just listened to both, if they can win that lawsuit we should throw copywriting songs out the window. It's so small what they share. There's only so much you can do with music, elements from different song pop in all sorts of other songs. It's inevitable. You couldn't copyright anything in country music if you used this standard.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
schmendeler said:

Definitely a church girl

Those are the wildest girls.

They get out from under mom and Dad and devour everything without moderation.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
TheDoctor
AG
Katy Perry
Urban Ag
AG
When it comes to great music.

Katy Perry has amazing tits
AggieChemist
AG
All I can think during that Katy Perry video is...

I, Fry, who drank Bont the Viscous, who drank Ungo the Moist, who guzzled Zorn the Stagnant, who slurped Hudge the Dewy, who enjoyed a soup composed principally of Throm the Chunky, do solemnly swear to rule with honour and insanity-- Uh, integrity!

. that and Katy Perry has great tits
Carlo4
AG
Does it really matter? I mean she was invited to the secret Google getaway in Sicily for billionaires to help stop climate change.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/billionaire-summer-camp-rich-famous-ideas

wangus12
AG
PatAg said:

CDub06 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

The idea of "Christian rap" is as dumb as "Christian tattoos".

I'll bite. How so? (On both accounts)
To them, rap is something "hoodlums" do.

and "my body is a temple" literal translation instead of using their brain to think for themselves
Even temples have artwork on the wallks
wangus12
AG
TexjbA&M said:

Just listened to both, if they can win that lawsuit we should throw copywriting songs out the window. It's so small what they share. There's only so much you can do with music, elements from different song pop in all sorts of other songs. It's inevitable. You couldn't copyright anything in country music if you used this standard.
Exactly. All of Nashville country have the exact same beat these days
Frok
AG
Obligatory:
The Debt
Quote:

and "my body is a temple" literal translation instead of using their brain to think for themselves

It's far beyond that verse. While most Christians use that to sum up an argument it isnt the extent of it. In psalms it is declared we are "fearfully and wonderfully made" meaning every human was crafted by God, to modify tha body or to "enhance" it with "art" is silliness and a rejection of what God did. Imagine standing before God and telling Him "yea, you did a pretty good job with my body but I decided that I ought to spice it up with a cartoon drawn by a high school dropout"

Also for 4000 years Jewish law forbade scraping skin
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Frok said:

Obligatory:

I appreciate the verifiable evidence that bro country is garbage.
Gigem314
AG
wangus12 said:

TexjbA&M said:

Exactly. All of Nashville country have the exact same beat these days
And while we're on the subject, that can be said about Christian pop music as well. And there are actually some really good Christian singer-songwriters and bands out there. But like most of the major genre's, the vast majority of the top 20 radio hits all sound the same.
CDub06
AG
Still waiting for some sort of justification on this comment. Or are you just stirring the pot.
PlanoAggie
AG
That's too funny! Speaking of funny, my daughter's softball team loves 4 of those six songs
Geriatric Punk
AG
tk for tu juan said:

This is a good breakdown. But, he is wrong: they filed suit in 2014 (the year after Dark Horse came out). They probably made a claim well before suit was filed.

Still, I don't think the jury got it right. I'd bet this gets overturned. There is truly nothing new under the sun these days.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

tk for tu juan said:

This is a good breakdown. But, he is wrong: they filed suit in 2014 (the year after Dark Horse came out). They probably made a claim well before suit was filed.

Still, I don't think the jury got it right. I'd bet this gets overturned. There is truly nothing new under the sun these days.

Other than his voice sounding like John Lennon, I think Tame Impala has a pretty unique sound.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
How in the name of Zeus has the bouncing GIF not been posted?

Steve McQueen
Duncan Idaho
CDub06 said:

Still waiting for some sort of justification on this comment. Or are you just stirring the pot.

1)tattoos by definition are dumb
2)the bible expressly forbids tattoos
Quote:

You shall not make any gashes in your flesh for the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD."

3) hank hill's comment holds true for anything contemporary christianity appropriates from pop culture.

PatAg
AG
As long as the Lord said it
Duncan Idaho
PatAg said:

Glad we are in agreement. Biblically speaking tattoos are a sin equal, if not greater than homosexuality or adultery
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

PatAg said:

Glad we are in agreement. Biblically speaking tattoos are a sin equal, if not greater than homosexuality or adultery

Duncan, there is no way on hell you believe a tattoo is on par with a marital affair or truck stop rendezvous.

We're are under New Testament jurisdiction and tattoos are not in anyway contrary to the Gospels.

Steve McQueen
TCTTS
AG
When I first moved to LA in '05, I attended Bel-Air Presbyterian. Katy performed in one of the church bands. I think it was for the Tuesday night, young adult-focused service, but I can't remember for sure. I just remember seeing her quite often. Of course, she wasn't Katy Perry back then. She went by her real name. I eventually stopped going to that church (and church in general, for the most part), and the next time I saw her she was a promiscuous pop star. Kind of crazy.

Also, I know one of her publicists quite well now, and I can confirm that Katy is batsh*t insane.
TCTTS
AG
Also, arguing that tattoos are a sin is peak TexAgs. Mindsets like that are why I and I'm sure many others have stopped attending church and instead choose to "worship" in our own ways, far away from that kind of crazy.
Duncan Idaho
PaulSimonsGhost said:

Duncan Idaho said:

PatAg said:

Duncan, there is no way on hell you believe a tattoo is on par with a marital affair or truck stop rendezvous.

We're are under New Testament jurisdiction and tattoos are not in anyway contrary to the Gospels.

Hey man, it is your soul. make sure you tell God "yo dawg. I appreciate your effort. I mean you got close but damn check out these finishing touches..dont you front and tell me this tribal arm band doesn't finish the look. "
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

Also, arguing that tattoos are a sin is peak TexAgs. Mindsets like that are why I and I'm sure many others have stopped attending church and instead choose to "worship" in our own ways, far away from that kind of crazy.

You probably eat shrimp
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

When I first moved to LA in '05, I attended Bel-Air Presbyterian. Katy performed in one of the church bands. I think it was for the Tuesday night, young adult-focused service, but I can't remember for sure. I just remember seeing her quite often. Of course, she wasn't Katy Perry back then. She went by her real name. I eventually stopped going to that church (and church in general, for the most part), and the next time I saw her she was a promiscuous pop star. Kind of crazy.

Also, I know one of her publicists quite well now, and I can confirm that Katy is batsh*t insane.

Same thing happened to Jessica Simpson....what do they have in common? Tattoos and contemporary music worship services.
TCTTS
AG
Now convinced this is definitely a bit. I shouldn't have taken the bait.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
TCTTS said:

I remember after a fund raiser for Barry Obama Katy Perry wanted to talk to the Prez about the alien problem facing America.

Not boarder issues; extra ****ing terrestrials my friend.

She is firmly in the hot body - crazy b/tch camp.

Steve McQueen
TCTTS
AG
Ha, weirdly, that actually makes me like her more now...
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Duncan, you've always struck me as a cool guy. Maybe cool it on the Bible talk on the ENTERTAINMENT BOARD.

Steve McQueen
Duncan Idaho
Figures you would attack her like that. Aliens are bibilical and they breed with humans.
They were called the Nephilim. They died put in the flood.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, weirdly, that actually makes me like her more now...

Hah!

Blue star for you.

Steve McQueen
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.