Stephen King's "The Stand" coming to CBS All Access

9,877 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TheDoctor
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did a search and did not find anything on this. I did see a Josh Boone (who is running this) 4 part movie thread back in 2014, but looks like everything else has since changed.

CBS is doing a 9 episode series set to come out next year and appears to actually be happening. Production is supposed to start in Sept. James Marsden is set to play Stu Redmen. Greg Kinnear as Glen Batemen...I guess Greg has aged a lot since I last saw him?

Initial thoughts are 9 episodes aren't enough to do the story justice...that's not much better than the old miniseries. I could probably watch 4 episodes just on the outbreak. But I think I like the TV episode format more than I would 4 movies. I don't know a lot about Josh Boone, but he seems to be a true fan of the book.
Al Bula
AG
Probably won't be on air til late 2020 but the The Stand is in my top 3 books (along with Dune and Shogun).

However, Whoopi potentially as Mother Abigail. No thanks on that casting decision.

Post removed:
by user
Texaggie7nine
M O O N
7nine
Al Bula
AG
I'm in the middle of a re-read right now. I like to plow through The Stand every 2-3 years during the summer when Captain Tripps begins.

Some of the language is a bit dated but this is still a masterful story.

Larry Underwood is my favorite character by far. He has so much depth. It makes me want to cringe when I read how selfish he is pre-plague. King could definitely tap into human nature and bring it to the Constant Reader.
Proposition Joe
CastleRock said:

Shife said:

Probably won't be on air til late 2020 but the The Stand is in my top 3 books (along with Dune and Shogun).

However, Whoopi potentially as Mother Abigail. No thanks on that casting decision.

Are you holding out hope they'll cast a hot 108 year old African American woman? What's the problem?

Maybe just a real big Ruby Dee fan?
Geriatric Punk
AG
I've always wanted to read this one, but have never taken the time. Worth it?
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
SJEAg
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

I've always wanted to read this one, but have never taken the time. Worth it?

It's probably among my top 3 favorite novels....certainly the best work King ever put out. People usually ***** about the ending but I didn't mind it.

The unabridged 1990 version is the only way to go.
amercer
AG
As a complete package it probably is King's best work. The ending is weak, but King has never managed a great ending to his epics and this one certainly isn't the worst. The Stand also has a few less cocaine fueled WTF moments than some of his other early works (IT....)
Proposition Joe
amercer said:

As a complete package it probably is King's best work. The ending is weak, but King has never managed a great ending to his epics and this one certainly isn't the worst. The Stand also has a few less cocaine fueled WTF moments than some of his other early works (IT....)

Gun to my anus head, I can think of a few.
KidDoc
AG
I'm listening to it on Audiobook and it is outstanding in that format.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Swarely
Was doing a search the other day to see if the book I have is the abridged or unabridged version and came across this info.

James Marsden will be headlining the cast as Stu Redman. The full rundown of the cast is below:
James Marsden as Stu Redman
Amber Heard as Nadine Cross
Greg Kinnear as Glen Bateman
Odessa Young as Frannie Goldsmith
Henry Zaga as Nick Andros
Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abagail
Jovan Adepo as Larry Underwood
Owen Teague as Harold Lauder
Brad William Henke as Tom Cullen
Daniel Sunjata as Cobb
Marilyn Manson as Trashcan Man
Alexander Skarsgrd as Randall Flagg
Nat Wolff as Lloyd Henreid
Eion Bailey as Teddy Weizak
Katherine McNamara as Julie Lawry
Hamish Linklater as Dr. Ellis
Heather Graham as Rita Blakemoor
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
MW03
AG
Alexander Skarsgrd as Randall Flagg is pretty damn perfect.
The Debt
How do you turn a nerd loner into a badass?

A studded leather jacket of course

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Swarely said:

Was doing a search the other day to see if the book I have is the abridged or unabridged version and came across this info.

James Marsden will be headlining the cast as Stu Redman.
Patrick Wilson was taking a dump when his agent called about the job, so Marsden got this one.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

How many that have read and love The Stand have also read Robert R. McCammons "Swan Song"?

It's a nuclear post-apocalyptic epic story similar to The Stand in some ways but different too. A bit of a Grapes of Wrath vibe to it in a horror sense. He intentionally modeled it after The Stand but of course the characters and plot are different. It's also very very long and he has different writing style and some different strengths as a writer but also some glaring weaknesses (romance, and dialogue at times) but the storytelling is great. Lots of horror elements, and it's hauntingly descriptive at times, imagery from this book has stayed with me all these years. I read it first shortly after release in 1987. It tied with King's Misery for the Bram Stoker award that year - that's some excellent company.

Diggity
AG
Nice description. I'm in
SJEAg
AG
Watched a stream of the 94 miniseries recently...well, part 1 anyway. It has not aged well.

Gary Sinise was the perfect Stu though.
Article 58-10 Offender
Zombie Jon Snow said:

How many that have read and love The Stand have also read Robert R. McCammons "Swan Song"?

It's a nuclear post-apocalyptic epic story similar to The Stand in some ways but different too. A bit of a Grapes of Wrath vibe to it in a horror sense. He intentionally modeled it after The Stand but of course the characters and plot are different. It's also very very long and he has different writing style and some different strengths as a writer but also some glaring weaknesses (romance, and dialogue at times) but the storytelling is great. Lots of horror elements, and it's hauntingly descriptive at times, imagery from this book has stayed with me all these years. I read it first shortly after release in 1987. It tied with King's Misery for the Bram Stoker award that year - that's some excellent company.

Great book. I read it a few years back based on a recommendation from this board. Might have been you for all I know. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys the Stand.

I've never had a problem with the ending to the Stand. I actually think it's one of King's stronger endings. Even the deus ex machina seems to fit the plot and doesn't seem out of place.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Might have been me. I recall recommending it in a thread years ago and getting positive feedback.
Malachi Constant
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

I'm about 40% through it right now. Oh boy that movie theater scene.
Malachi Constant
AG
Can HBO pick this up from CBS?
bushytailed
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

I'm about 40% through it right now. Oh boy that movie theater scene.

I'm a third of the way through and have had to flip through a couple of the gory parts.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

^ i told you. lol.

West Point Aggie
AG
An updated version of this would be awesome...with quality acting and special effects...
ro828
I've read THE STAND three times. The movie version of it was good, but for whatever reason it was filmed on 16 mm film, so it doesn't look all that good despite having a solid cast. The early part of the story where the soldier escaping with his family makes his grand arrival at the gas station in West Texas is more relevant than ever. The way the plague is spread so quickly seems to have come from today's headlines.
Al Bula
AG
ro828 said:

I've read THE STAND three times. The movie version of it was good, but for whatever reason it was filmed on 16 mm film, so it doesn't look all that good despite having a solid cast. The early part of the story where the soldier escaping with his family makes his grand arrival at the gas station in West Texas is more relevant than ever. The way the plague is spread so quickly seems to have come from today's headlines.
If you really have read The Stand three times you would know Charles Campion crashes his car into a gas station in Arnette which is in East Texas, like 100 miles north or northeast of Houston. Not crazy far from Huntsville which is where Stu and the other Arnette guys go to find hoors.

Don't screw up in talking about The Stand.
SJEAg
AG
Shife said:

ro828 said:

If you really have read The Stand three times you would know Charles Campion crashes his car into a gas station in Arnette which is in East Texas, like 100 miles north or northeast of Houston. Not crazy far from Huntsville which is where Stu and the other Arnette guys go to find hoors.

I've read the book like 5 times, but its probably been 7-8 years. But I distinctly remember the miniseries putting Arnette in NE Texas...I'd say a little past Longview.

Them summer colds are the worst!
YouBet
AG
Shife said:

ro828 said:

I need to get out to West Texas and see these fabled pine trees I've been hearing about.
West Point Aggie
AG
It wasn't west Texas but it was all screwed up in the movie...just like their mountainous depiction of Indiana!

That's how low budget and crappy this was...
Mr. White
Stu had a scholarship to A&M, right?
SJEAg
AG
No, it was him referencing his brother.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I've read the book 3 or 4 times, but it's been probably 20 - 25 years since I last did so. The last time I read it was an "expanded edition" hard cover that had some drawings of pivotal scenes spread across that massive book, and included an updated ending where after the detonation in Vegas, Flagg showed up on some remote island and was taking up a ruling position over the indiginous tribe there; and the face of Flagg in the accompanying drawing bore a striking resemblance to Tommy Lee Jones.

I liked much of the cast in the movie, but the movie itself was awful and not enjoyable at all, considering its source material.
Al Bula
AG
Maybe the mini series but the book Arnette was more like in the Crockett area. I do think that King's casual knowledge of Texas coupled with cocaine and alcohol means there's lots of room for error though.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.