Any Drummers here?

4,894 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jason_InfinityRoofer
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone play drums now or in the past? Band/orchestra percussion and/or drum set? Aggie Band drummer?

My current set is a Yamaha electronic one. Quieter at home. The drum sets I've played at the churches I've played at have been half/half electronic and traditional anyway. When I can build that drum room, I'd like a Yamaha maple set, Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, and Vater and IP sticks. I'm more particular about sticks than most are.
jokershady
AG
Played for 10 years (but haven't played in a long while).

Played on a Tama Starclassic Performer set and had a double bass pedal.

Had to sell it once our first kid showed up. Now all that I have left is the chair....and it's a damn good chair
exitone
AG
I played a 11 piece Tama Rockstar - CB70O mashup, and then a 7 piece Tama Rockstar. Once I got out of college and didn't really have a place to play, things tapered off. Many years ago, my wife got me Yamaha DTX electronic set in an effort to get me to sell my Tama set. I had my eyes on the V drums at the time, but she didn't know that.
I sold the Tamas, and still have the Yamaha, but I do t play it much. It's just not as fun (not bad though), but there is a battery in the brain I need to change out that apparently requires some EE skills or shipping it off to Yamaha. If I would have known that, I would have never opened the box.
chipotle
I saw Drumline
91AggieLawyer
AG
You can get the electronic module fairly cheap at Guitar Center:

Used Yamaha DTX502 Electric Drum Module

The other thing you MIGHT be able to do for a little more money is to pick up a Yamaha Multi Pad and use that as a module. I think you can plug your triggers into that, though I'm not sure how many drum set "kits" there are in there compared to the DTX modules. But you'll have something portable to play.
SteveA
AG
I played in drum line in high school. Played in bands at A&M (Floor, Peeping Tom), and was in a couple of bands post college. I played Pearl and Peavey in college and had a DW collector's maple later. Quit gigging after my son was born and sold the DW. Owned a Roland kit for a short while, but didn't like it. Picked up a few on and off since then, but have been playing a church the last few years. Currently have a Sonor Safari kit sitting next to my 8th grader's practice marimba and his marching snare
unimboti nkum
AG
Former drummer here. Got an old Tama Rockstar 5-piece if anybody wants it. I live in DC, tho.
Soso nikinombiki maaki dii.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I don't currently play drums but like to think I'd learn if I had this thing of beauty in my house.

Ludwig Vistalite John Bonham Zep Set Shell Pack with Snare Drum - Amber

91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Currently have a Sonor Safari

ALMOST bought one of those a few years ago. Sam Ash had one for a pretty low price and I thought about it but I really didn't have a place to put it nor did I need a bop kit. If these sets are well mic-ed they make good sets for churches as they aren't overly loud but sound good.
Whos Juan
AG
Q: What do most drummers get on their SAT?
A: Drool
Eliminatus
AG
Gone through a few sets.

First was a Frankenstein of Tama and Sonor.

Second was a Yamaha DTXeplorer 2 edrums.

Third was a Roland TD 10.

What I've got now is a Pearl Export. Nothing fancy but got super tired of E-drums and space was an issue so went small. Ziljdian L80s and an Axis longboard double pedal round it out. Ahead 5AB concert sticks.

Was actually thinking about starting a gear thread myself. Not a fan of huge rack systems so started to piece out the new Gibraltar Stealth Rack system and was wanting feedback from anyone that may have gone this route.
Average Joe
AG
unimboti nkum said:

Former drummer here. Got an old Tama Rockstar 5-piece if anybody wants it. I live in DC, tho.

Too bad you're in DC. I would probably take you up on that. That was my first set and now my 5 year old wants me to teach her how to play. Which is ironic since she's the reason I stopped playing and sold my stuff.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Played percussion and marching band all the way through college, never touched a set until 3 years ago (I'm late 30s).

Marched in the Aggie band and had the pleasure playing all 3 instruments (cymbals, snare, bass drum) plus bugle rank.

Anyways, my church asked me to fill in for our normal drummer (also an Aggie) about 3 years ago and I've been playing 1-2 Sunday's a month ever since. We use a Roland electronic kit, I think it's the TD-30K, at least that looks the most similar to what we have... https://www.roland.com/global/products/td-30k/

I usually get about 8 songs every Sunday, and now that I've been playing for 3 years I only get 2-3 new ones per week. I usually listen once, write notes, listen again and play on a drum pad. Then practice one run through at church and I'm read to play in church... I do pretty good for basically only playing each song 2 run through before going on stage.
NoahAg
Played percussion 6th-8th grade. Didn't play in HS b/c band wasn't cool, lol, even tho I was really good.
Played a little in HS youth group band.
Fast forward through college, picked it up again and played a Roland kit at church for about 10 years.
Moved and haven't played much at all the past few years. Have an Alesis kit at home that just sits there b/c I don't make time for it.
I'm always drumming in my head, in the car, bored during meetings...
jm94
AG
NoahAg said:

Didn't play in HS b/c band wasn't cool, lol
I learned to respond to the common question of why I played clarinet by pointing out that I was surrounded by girls.

They weren't cool girls, but I wasn't a cool guy, so it worked out.
MooreTrucker
AG
Played in jr high and high school - concert, stage, marching. Band wasn't really cool, but drummers are. Plus it got me out of PE.

Marched in the FTAB, snare.

Since then, not much. I did a Rock 'n Roll Fantasy Camp Rockstar for a Day thing which was really fun. And my wife gave me a cajon for Xmas a couple of years ago and I played a set with a local Tx country artist once.

Oh, and I took over on drums for another local band to do a birthday thing for my wife. We did Bon Jovi's "Bad Medicine" which she really likes and has a fun drum part.
62strat
AG
Kit drummer since '94 here.

Got the white tama rockstar kit. I couldn't spring for the Lars signature Artstar kit (early 90s, black and white), so I just modeled mine after his. Started with 5 piece, grew it as money became available to me in my mid to late teens. Had it complete by age 20.

Not me on the drums:

early 90s Lars kit

I had chrome hardware, his was all blacked out.

Still have it set up in my basement, still play it monthly if not weekly. Now my 3 and 4 year old are starting to play it.
Johnsy3
AG
Played percussion/drum line through middle and high school. Currently have a Pearl Vision VSX kit with old Z Custom cymbals from my first Tama kit. I primarily play at church but have filled in for friends who need a drummer semi-recently

Drums are the best
MooreTrucker
AG
62strat said:

Still have it set up in my basement, still play it monthly if not weekly. Now my 3 and 4 year old are starting to play it.
That's good parenting right there.
Callate Donnie
Gretsch catalina maple kit - Remo pinstripe heads
Old school (like, '78) Ludwig snare - Remo powerstroke
Zildjian K's all around (favorite being a splash 8 and 22 ride)
Tama stands
Tuned up the snare that came with the kit to sound like Bug Gaugh's timpania like tom in Slow Ride.

Don't get to play much with two kids in diapers. However, my 2 year old learned We Will Rock you this past week. He's got natural rhythm. Let's see if he does something with it.
62strat
AG
MooreTrucker said:

62strat said:

That's good parenting right there.
I got a good laugh a while back. I was playing guitar, 3 year old was making noise on the keyboard, and 4 year old on the drums. The 4 year old got off the drum throne and turned out the lights. I asked 'what are you doing?' He said we need the lights off because we're jamming!

I have no idea where he got that from hah.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Have a 6 piece Tama imperial star I've had since high school. It's the imperial star from the 70s-80s before they brought it back. Drug it around Austin for several years so it's got "character".

Was looking for a smaller set years back. Came across a 6 piece pearl master custom (sunrise fade) for a steal so I jumped all over it. Haven't played in quite some time but now have room to set it up again. It's a beauty.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Anyone selling a electronic; don't care about condition other than working so I can practice on it
jokershady
AG
Whos Juan said:

Q: How do you get a drummer to quit playing?
A: Put a sheet of music in front of him.
Aust Ag
AG
I have a question for drummers. Watching Charlie Watts on a Stones concert on TV, and I've always wondered about that "half beat" that he does, when he holds his stick in the air for about a 1/2 second, but obviously is keeping time.

Why does he do that? Is that a relatively unique move that he has (because I can't remember seeing another drummer do that)?

Oh, and is Charlie underrated?
Ag 11
AG
Used to have this back in the old days

Eliminatus
AG
Aust Ag said:

I have a question for drummers. Watching Charlie Watts on a Stones concert on TV, and I've always wondered about that "half beat" that he does, when he holds his stick in the air for about a 1/2 second, but obviously is keeping time.

Why does he do that? Is that a relatively unique move that he has (because I can't remember seeing another drummer do that)?

Oh, and is Charlie underrated?

Just watched a coupla videos. Yeah he freezes out a note with his hi hat hand on the snare hits. I can't see it being a timing thing. Only thing that makes sense to me is it's an old habit he picked up when first learning to play and never grew out of it.

Only other time I've seen it was in beginners first picking up sticks and still learning to coordinate your limbs together.

Seems like a good solid drummer though.
Aust Ag
AG
Definitely a good fit for that band. A Neil Peart-type drummer would not be.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Episode IV said:

Anyone selling a electronic; don't care about condition other than working so I can practice on it

Where are you? I'd probably sell you my Yamaha DTX500. Would really like to go back to acoustic set.
91AggieLawyer
AG
jokershady said:

Whos Juan said:

Q: How do you get a drummer to quit playing?
A: Put a sheet of music in front of him.

The problems for us drummers that do read is that what is often written is what the composer THINKS will sound good but may not. So even in the best of circumstances, set drummers must ad lib. Plus, there are only a few pitched percussion instruments (keyboard like bells, xylophone, and drums like timpani) so drummers may not be able to read treble and bass clef music notation as well as, say, piano players. But flute players usually can't read bass clef and trombone players can't read treble -- and no one can read alto or tenor clef!

My sister has a BM in Piano performance from UNT (actually NTSU at the time), a top music school. If I stick a percussion notation sheet in front of her, she'd say, "what is this?" It is undeniable that your joke has a large degree of truth behind it but it is also true that there are percussionists out there that are some of the best musicians on the planet. I'm borderline decent on a good day!
HECUBUS
AG
https://imgur.com/gallery/y2UrJd7

Bohnam reincarnated
Drawkcab
MooreTrucker said:

Played in jr high and high school - concert, stage, marching. Band wasn't really cool, but drummers are. Plus it got me out of PE.

Marched in the FTAB, snare.

Since then, not much. I did a Rock 'n Roll Fantasy Camp Rockstar for a Day thing which was really fun. And my wife gave me a cajon for Xmas a couple of years ago and I played a set with a local Tx country artist once.

Oh, and I took over on drums for another local band to do a birthday thing for my wife. We did Bon Jovi's "Bad Medicine" which she really likes and has a fun drum part.

Me too. Now we really gotta get some dinner during one on of my annual trips to Lubbock in February and March.
Adam87inSA
AG
Whos Juan said:

Not Neil Peart
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Hate to resurrect this thread but I am in need of advice. My son (13), for whatever reason, has decided that guitars, bass guitars, brass instruments, harmonicas and keyboards that I own are not what he wants to learn to play. He has expressed an interest in drums. I taught myself guitar because I wanted to learn and to that end, I do not want to stifle interest. I think to test the waters, perhaps an electronic drum kit would be cost effective. However, I don't want to buy him junk. I learned on a really bad guitar and while it worked, it made things harder than they should be

I also feel like an electronic drum would allow him to play and practice whenever he wants. So, is there any advice on used equipment for this purpose that I should be looking at? I don't know anything about model, brands, or drums in general. Any information is helpful.

I'd like to try to find something for Christmas.
https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
maroon barchetta
I was in Thorne Music Center on Monday and think I saw an electronic set in there. You might start there.

An acquaintance has an electronic set. I can ask him what he's got and if he likes it. Think it's a Simmons or a Roland. Surely those drums have come a long way since the 80's.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.