Any Drummers here?

4,947 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jason_InfinityRoofer
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Find a used Roland kit.
exitone
AG
Jason_InfinityRoofer said:

Hate to resurrect this thread but I am in need of advice. My son (13), for whatever reason, has decided that guitars, bass guitars, brass instruments, harmonicas and keyboards that I own are not what he wants to learn to play. He has expressed an interest in drums. I taught myself guitar because I wanted to learn and to that end, I do not want to stifle interest. I think to test the waters, perhaps an electronic drum kit would be cost effective. However, I don't want to buy him junk. I learned on a really bad guitar and while it worked, it made things harder than they should be

I also feel like an electronic drum would allow him to play and practice whenever he wants. So, is there any advice on used equipment for this purpose that I should be looking at? I don't know anything about model, brands, or drums in general. Any information is helpful.

I'd like to try to find something for Christmas.

If this were me.... I would really try and move him away from the drums. I know supporting a kids interest and all is good, but gessh...
1) Drums are freakin load. I dont know how my parents put up with it
2) Drums are a pain to haul around.

Try and steer him back to your guitars or keyboard.

That being said, if he really wants drums, check out the electronic drums. Dont get the ones with the hard pad. Get the ones with the softer, responsive pads that more simulate the feel of a real drum head.

I have the Yamaha DTX electronic kit, and the pads are hard. I haven't looked at drums in years, but years ago the V Drums were the way to go and I would say look at those. But I think there are a lot better options out now.
DallasTeleAg
I'm not a drummer, but I have been a beginner with piano and guitar. I am not a fan of electronic or cheap anything. I don't think it helps with learning an instrument or encourages practicing. Maybe i'm wrong, and he would love an electronic drum kit.

I am always more of a fan of purchasing a used medium range instrument, no matter the instrument. You get a good piece of gear at a good price. If the kid decides it's not for him, then you can easily sell it for what you paid for it, unless he destroys it.

Granted, if you want electronic for the noise, then I can't fault you there.
Spyderman
AG
Played in a local (BCS) C&W band circa 1980. Paul at the Hall of Fame told us if we got us a fiddler, we could play there one night a week. Thought we had one, but she backed out...

That 9 months left scars musically speaking. Wandered in the musical wilderness for 40 years...then, it happened.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
maroon barchetta
Get whatever kind Ant Man uses. Those looked good.
tk for tu juan

8:21 for the best beat, haha

Another comparison for the lower price electric kits with mesh heads
tk for tu juan
But in the end, acoustic drums are just more fun

Agasaurus Tex
AG
exitone said:

If this were me.... I would really try and move him away from the drums. I know supporting a kids interest and all is good, but gessh...

Played professionally 10+ years. Was halfway decent at playing most anything and thoroughly enjoyed it until the PITA of hauling, set up, tear down and more hauling caused me to give it up.
Potcake
AG
tk for tu juan said:

But in the end, acoustic drums are just more fun

I'm reading his book now. He started out on pillows and drumming to himself with his teeth.
AustinCountyAg
Agasaurus Tex said:

exitone said:

Played professionally 10+ years. Was halfway decent at playing most anything and thoroughly enjoyed it until the PITA of hauling, set up, tear down and more hauling caused me to give it up.
my dad who was a professional musician in his younger days who never let me get a drum kit until high school. His reasons were the same as above (annoying, and a pain), and frankly if you're a decent musician with rhythm drums are very easy to learn to be proficient at for the most part.

Now as I am older and having played music professionally after college some I am damn glad he steered me away from drums. Pretty nice showing up to a gig carrying a guitar in one hand and amp in the other, or bass in one hand and a bag with a DI. Can be set up/tore down in under 5 minutes.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
This is why I hate guitarist. It would take me 10 minutes to unpack everything before even starting to set up.
DallasTeleAg
Exactly. If you aren't having fun with it, then you won't learn it, imo.

This is why I never recommend crappy instruments. Mid-range used instruments should always be bought for beginners. Easier to play. Sound better. Feel better. All of that combines to inspiring you to play more.
SteveA
AG
Quote:

and frankly if you're a decent musician with rhythm drums are very easy to learn to be proficient at for the most part.
I mean, anyone can pick up a guitar and play a Nirvana song in about a week, too.
62strat
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Agasaurus Tex said:

exitone said:

my dad who was a professional musician in his younger days who never let me get a drum kit until high school. His reasons were the same as above (annoying, and a pain), and frankly if you're a decent musician with rhythm drums are very easy to learn to be proficient at for the most part.

Now as I am older and having played music professionally after college some I am damn glad he steered me away from drums. Pretty nice showing up to a gig carrying a guitar in one hand and amp in the other, or bass in one hand and a bag with a DI. Can be set up/tore down in under 5 minutes.

Many people learn to play instruments and never once step on a stage.
I don't think learning an instrument as a hobby should be dictated on how easy it is to transport/setup at a paid gig.

Drums are fun as hell.
SteveA
AG
Playing drums is like many other instruments. to play them is easy. To play them well, is hard.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
So many options. Probably just find something on Facebook and get it. There are Pearl acoustics all over for 400 bucks and the same electronics for a little less. Looks like they are all about the same. I'm a trombone And guitarist myself. I started out on a 10 dollar guitar with wood frets and a warped top. It sucked. While I'd like to get him something decent, there seem to be too many opinions and the fact is that if he WANTS to play, he'll figure out how to make it happen on whatever I get I suppose.

I figure drums are like any other instrument. There is a notable difference in a 100 dollar guitar and a 1500 dollar guitar. There is not a lot of difference between a 500 dollar guitar and a 900 guitar so, probably in my price range, they're all about the same.
https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.