The Witcher Series (books)

1,473 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Thunder18
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody read these? Wanted to see what the reviews were on here about them, as I just beat the game and am about to need a new book to read.
hunter2012
AG
I have, I highly recommend them if you like dark fantasy. It is every bit as dark and graphic as the Song of Ice and Fire Universe. Comparing it to GRRM's work is somewhat unfair because the Witcher-verse has far more magic and magical creatures. However for fantasy though it is rarely epic if that's important to you. The Witcher while powerful is not a saviour and the stories intentionally reflect that. He his trying to make his way like the rest. The first 3 or 4 books are actually short story anthologies but they are pivotal when the novels start. Read them in release order for best results.

As a minor note the games take place after the books so playing them isn't a retelling of the books.

Also...Dandelion is the awesome, I honestly can't decide between Triss or Yennifer(slightly lean Triss though Triss is more loyal to Geralt), and Ciri is a straight up badass. I would welcome spoiler tag discussion here if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
gus1390
AG
Ditto above comments. Very enjoyable books.
Vince Blake
I read The Last Wish a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it and it was a quick read.
Post removed:
by user
hunter2012
AG
Full clarification I listened to the audiobook so I can't speak for the writing quality. You may have read a bad translation. I believe the original book is in Polish.
KidDoc
AG
MyNameIsKyle said:

I'm surprised by the love, though with the success of the games I suppose I shouldn't. I read the first 100 or so pages of the first book and found the writing painfully bad.
This. I'm a huge fan of the games but found the books a poor read. I read the first three.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rhutton125
AG
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/01/netflixs-the-witcher-first-look-photos-of-geralt-ciri-and-yennefer

I'm coming around on the casting / look for these few characters. I still think Cavill is wooden as hell, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
rhutton125 said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/01/netflixs-the-witcher-first-look-photos-of-geralt-ciri-and-yennefer

I'm coming around on the casting / look for these few characters. I still think Cavill is wooden as hell, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

So looking at the cast list, it looks like the first season will primarily be The Last Wish mixed with some of the later books.
hunter2012
AG
Triss is a pale redhead, as I prefered her to Yen I find it disappointing that she's the diversity cast. But it's not real surprising as Netflix thinks it adds viewers. However, I am surprised that the actor for Duny is relatively unknown.
Thunder18
AG
I love the books, the first few(anthology) books are good, but the 5 actual Witcher saga novels are fantastic, particularly The Lady of the Lake. I re-read all the novels about once a year, it's one of my favorite fantasy series
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.