Star Wars Rewatch Project: EPISODE IV - A NEW HOPE

7,527 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by West Point Aggie
Justin2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
CJS4715 said:

It doesn't make sense. Why would Jabba send a bounty hunter and then have follow-up meeting almost immediately after the bounty hunter is dead?
In the cantina, Greedo steps in front of Han and asks, going somewhere, Solo?
Han then responds that he was just on his way to see Jabba.
Perfectly sensible, but the scene just doesn't work, and as someone else stated, it makes Jabba look weak.
jokershady
AG
Y'all need to watch this if you haven't already (it's been posted randomly on this forum before)!

Great video that essentially shows how Star Wars was successful in spite of George Lucas rather than because of him...and how the editors created so much of the story! Especially the ending!

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Anyone going to start an Episode V thread?
John Matrix
AG
Was thinking the same thing. TCTSS, man your post!
MGS
I guess it was the most forgettable Star Wars movie.
The Collective
AG
V is a big bag of meh. Look at this **** scene.

TCTTS
AG
Sh*t, sorry. It's the holiday and I've been with family. Will get it up here in a bit.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ESB is simply the GOAT.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Sh*t, sorry. It's the holiday and I've been with family. Will get it up here in a bit.
Wait a minute, are you trying to say we're not your family?
John Matrix
AG
How dare you have a family, and a job, and something else other than the Texags entertainment board! We have a near forty year old film to ***** about,( it's Empire, so probably just gush about, although I wouldn't put it passed some degenerate to hate it.)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ANH remains my all-time favorite, largely because it has the most Sir Alec in it. The moment where he hears Luke say "Obi-Wan Kenobi" for the first time is one of my top 5 scenes in any of the movies.

I was 3-1/2 in 1977 and my brother was 6 going on 7. My dad worked on an oil tanker back then and would try to time his 3-months on / 2 months off shifts to be home around Christmas time and around the beginning of the summer.

He heard about Star Wars on the radio and took us to see it one fine afternoon. We were crazy for it and went back the next day to see it again.

My dad had to go back to work on the ship on July 1. Star Wars was in the theater forever once it hit so big, but we weren't going to have the time to see it with him at our leisure, so my dad did what any great father would do - took us to see it twice in May and five more times in June before he left.

What makes ANH so awesome
  • Opening space battle. I always imagined TPM in a similar way for the call back.
  • The Krayt Dragon skeleton in the desert
  • Everything about the binary sunset
  • "Obi-wan Kenobi?? Obi-Wan ..."
  • I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father
  • The cantina - cannot be surpassed no matter how much CGI you use
  • Han & Chewie's entrance
  • Intro of the Falcon
  • Chewie vs. R2D2 in monster hologram chess
  • That's no moon.
  • She's rich.
  • You prefer another target? A military target?
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing.
  • Um everything's fine here. Situation normal.
  • The trash compactor. If you had the Kenner Death Star play set, you remember the foam "trash" and the hard plastic dianoga that had zero moving parts
  • If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
  • How somehow they've never fixed the fact that Vader's lightsaber is white when Luke blasts the controls for the door to the hangar.
  • Luke & Han blowing up 4 TIEs in the Falcon is a better space fight than anything in the prequels.
  • Biggs guaranteeing his own death with "they'll never stop us!" Yeah Biggs, whatever you say.
  • Red Leader and Gold Leader being grizzled vets.
  • General Dodonna, professional bad ass: "Then man your ships, and may the Force be with you."
  • Luke turning off the navicomputer.
  • What?
  • The Throne room music. If I were president, that would replace hail to the chief.
oragator
I think a fair number of movies go through significant editing. This one stands out for all the right reasons,

But Lucas had other problems that he was lucky to get past, at one point, a number of crew complained to Fox about the production, and they were almost shut down. Guinness reportedly saved it,

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/sir-alec-guinness-saved-star-wars-new-book-reveals-article-1.2806787
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
CJS4715 said:

It doesn't make sense. Why would Jabba send a bounty hunter and then have follow-up meeting almost immediately after the bounty hunter is dead?
I actually ripped and removed this scene from the movie so I don't have to cringe every time I watch it from now on.
aTmAg
AG
This movie has the greatest engine sound of any movie show I can think of:

After Han and Luke shoot the 4 tie-fighters and start talking about if Han has a chance with Leah and Luke says no, they show the MF heading towards the rebel base. The close up shot where the MF is heading directly away from the camera is the most BA sound possible, IMO. I think the US military should spend whatever money it takes to make our jets sound just like that.

I found the video:

YellowPot_97
AG
The final Throne Room music was the recessional at my wedding.
hph6203
AG
I always took it as C-3P0 not actually knowing R2-D2's mission at the beginning of the movie, but is he just playing dumb or is it just inconsistent writing? At the beginning of the movie C-3P0 is clearly familiar with Princess Leia (Says there will be no escape for the princess this time as their ship has stalled), but when the hologram plays he says he doesn't know who she is, thinks she was a passenger on the ship, and that he doesn't know who Obi-Wan Kenobi is.
West Point Aggie
AG
YouBet said:

Saw it at the drive through for my first movie ever. Has shaped my life ever since.

Really? Wow!
Let’s Go Brandon!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.