Black Mirror Season 5

9,225 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fat girlfriend
TheDraw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quick thoughts on the 3 episode.

Episode 1: "I ****ed a polar bear but was thinking of you the whole time!" - best line of the episode
Episode 2: Really good episode and really enjoyed the back and forth. The ending was meh though.
Episode 3: Didn't care for Miley Cyrus until halfway through. Ended up really enjoying it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Re: Smithereens

Two mins in I figured this was a Walter White / Grey Matter situation when he mentioned Billy Bauer. It was a nice swerve after the negotiator thought the same thing.

Another ok episode. So far, neither this one or Ashley Too has blown me away. Hoping the last one is a bit better. Disappointed they left the ending inconclusive.

Also, damn Google. You scary.

Edit: Guess I watched them out of order. Thought they were ordered from the bottom up like the seasons.
Carlo4
AG
I liked smithereens.

Creepy as hell what social media can (and will be able) to do in the future/now. Proved they could listen in on phone calls and outsmart police detectives/FBI.

I enjoyed the irony that if they were still illegally creeping on the phone call that the gun shots at the end wouldn't have been necessary.

I took the whole ending as a sign on social media in general. Much like an article or headline grabs your attention where you don't know the real ending without clicking it. The whole point is to keep you guessing what happened. The people that were involved cared, and the rest of society simply gets distracted by a useless story.

Muy
AG
third coast.. said:

Brokeback gamer episode was terrible

Can't finish it. Please tell me the other episodes get better.
cr0wbar
AG
Holy hell. Smithereens just blew my damn mind. That was an amazing hour of television. Andrew Scott is insanely talented.

I mean. This huge scene playing out as so dramatic, and it's just another tic notification on our phones. It's like a thought in the wind. It was an awesome example of how connected we are, and also how completely disjointed we are. The CEO is involved in a life and death drama. SOMEONES lost their lives (we don't know who) and he goes back to meditating. It's point back at social media in the face and full on mocking it. We've never been more connected and disconnected!

And of course, we're supposed to run to social media to debate the end, right? Who died?! We flocked right back to social media to complain about social media! ****ing brilliant.

This is like a quasi intervention for us to wake ourselves up. My totally blown

EDIT: I lose my fiancee for a DOG PICTURE.

THERE'S SOME USER FEEDBACK FOR YOU
ja86
Post removed:
by user
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My least favorite season of BM.
Sex Panther
AG
What a joke of a "season"

Smithereens was the only decent one, and any other season that episode is middle of the pack at best. Maybe they're just finally running out of ideas, but that sure as hell seemed more like they just didn't care and half-assed three episodes because they had to. The only really good thing was the use of NIN songs by Ashley O, but even that was ruined when they had her actually sing Head Like A Hole at the end... Miley Cyrus sucks so ****ing bad. That ep was terrible.

I never watched Bandersnatch so hopefully that makes up for this crap
agdoc2001
AG
It doesn't. Bandersnatch isn't very good.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sex Panther
AG
agdoc2001
AG
Yikes. Smithereens was ok, but the other 2 episodes were garbage. It was a good run...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Muy
AG
Couldn't the first episode have been better if he and his buddy used the video game to go out and live it up, hook up with other women, party hard, and somehow the lines started to blur between the game and real life, so much that they both ended up trapped in the game forever?

Seems way better than the crap I saw.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Sex Panther said:

What a joke of a "season"

Smithereens was the only decent one, and any other season that episode is middle of the pack at best. Maybe they're just finally running out of ideas, but that sure as hell seemed more like they just didn't care and half-assed three episodes because they had to. The only really good thing was the use of NIN songs by Ashley O, but even that was ruined when they had her actually sing Head Like A Hole at the end... Miley Cyrus sucks so ****ing bad. That ep was terrible.

I never watched Bandersnatch so hopefully that makes up for this crap

I didn't mind Miley the person. I hated the robot. It was so cornball.

My one takeaway from it is that Miley better stop smoking soon. She's 5 years away from sounding like Roz from Monsters inc.

Post removed:
by user
lazuras_dc
AG
Muy said:

Couldn't the first episode have been better if he and his buddy used the video game to go out and live it up, hook up with other women, party hard, and somehow the lines started to blur between the game and real life, so much that they both ended up trapped in the game forever?

Seems way better than the crap I saw.

That's what I was thinking when he was testing out his virtual knee then started fighting ... but then it turned into them f'n ... it's a little confusing... so is Anthony Mackie not gay bc he is banging a virtual chick? Also, the husband and wife little "deal" at the end seems a little weird/lopsided , no?

As far as smithereens - what are theories on what the lady finds when she punches in the password ?

Also in real life I don't think the guy survives the car chase , getting out with a pistol and having the cops move away. Cops would've likely followed the car into the field and had guns drawn as soon as they exited their vehicle. Perp would've been blasted as soon as he emerged from the car with his pistol. Unless they do things different across the pond.
Post removed:
by user
Tobias Funke
AG
Quote:

As far as smithereens - what are theories on what the lady finds when she punches in the password ?

Her daughter was a Texags regular
Objective Aggie
AG
What Black Mirror does better than any show on tv is a venture into the unknown.

Some may like some episodes more than others.

But when an episode starts (unless you watch the trailers) you have no idea where you are going. Star Trek simulation? High intensity hostage crisis? Black and white land run by machines?

That's the secret of BM. It takes you to so many places and you just never know.

So for me, I love BM because
(1) every episode is an unknown.
(2) raises important questions on society, technology, etc. makes you think about our direction.
(3) twists and turns
Objective Aggie
AG
Once you appreciate the unexpected of Black Mirror, Yusuf will be less likely to have certain expectations for each episode. Just see where they go.
Cancelled
AG
That Mikey Cyrus episode was the worst Black Mirror I've seen. It was just about the worst hour of tv I've ever seen.
Flashdiaz
AG
lazuras_dc said:

doesn't really matter to me... the fact that the password is in the picture of the mom with her daughter shows that her daughter had fond memories of her mother. Her mom can have some sort of closure knowing it wasn't her fault.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
queso1 said:

That Mikey Cyrus episode was the worst Black Mirror I've seen. It was just about the worst hour of tv I've ever seen.
Have you seen The Waldo Moment?
Cancelled
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

queso1 said:

I kind of liked that one.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

queso1 said:

The Waldo moment was a prescient as any black mirror episode.

And again, I much prefer those kind of episodes over the "consciousness in a computer" episodes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

And again, I much prefer those kind of episodes over the "consciousness in a computer" episodes.
So, the main trope of the series and part of most of the best episodes.
The Debt
So I've watched Miley and brokeback street fighter

Sorry if the audience doesnt sympathize with Miley. We just dgaf about the terrible lives of insanely rich entertainers. Boohoo the monotony of doing concerts night after night. Go work a coal mine night after night you twut. Get some fkin perspective.

Brokeback streetfighter looks like it's taking aim at adult Male gamers. It feels like some Vox contributor wrote it in response to all the "misogyny" in gaming. (Google GamerGate). The only interesting part was the intellectual adultery vs the actual adultery. But that wasnt really explored its only the causality. This episode isnt "The Entire History of You" and has a long climb to be in the same realm of it.
BenFiasco14
AG
Just finished the season. Still stand by episode 1 sucking. Broke back street fighter... that's funny

Ep 2 Smithereens yes, it was decent but I felt the message was too on the nose. I think everyone's fully aware of how addictive social media is, and how dangerous it is to text and drive or just mess with your phone and drive. There was nothing unique about that episode that makes you think or anything

Ep 3 with Miley Cyrus was horrendously bad. She's a horrific actress. And the scenes with the actual sentient Ashley Too robot felt like something out of a Disney movie... just with curse words. The whole plot and how it concluded... all of it. Cheesy Disney movie. Plus that stories been told so many times before. Traffic artist being used... yawn

Overall, I give the season a 4/10. It was all really forgettable and I hate to say it but I think this shows hit its peak long ago.

I actually liked Bandersnatch, though.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Madmarttigan
AG
Bandersnatch was a really cool idea blown on a really terrible story/stories, however you want to look at it.
Jasomania
AG
Great season. Rachael, Jack and Ashley Too is probably my favorite episode of the entire series.

I really like how there are enough good / bad endings in the series that you really don't know how things are going to turn out episode to episode. There are too many shows in which the drama is completely undercut because you know it's going to turn out fine in the end, its rare to have a show which is able to raise the tension and its actually effective.
claym711
AG
This any better than balderdash or whatever they called that flop?
91_Aggie
AG
These 3 episodes were so Meh!
Not sure why people would defend them.

cr0wbar
AG
Jasomania said:

Great season. Rachael, Jack and Ashley Too is probably my favorite episode of the entire series.

I really like how there are enough good / bad endings in the series that you really don't know how things are going to turn out episode to episode. There are too many shows in which the drama is completely undercut because you know it's going to turn out fine in the end, its rare to have a show which is able to raise the tension and its actually effective.

Agree. One of the better seasons of the series. Not as SciFi, but much more thought provoking. Each episode stood firmly on their own.

Smithereens/Miley/Vipers
bobinator
AG
To me the whole heart of Black Mirror is taking some technology that on its surface seems harmless or even helpful, but then considering how it can go horribly wrong.

So in that sense, the only one of these episodes that I thought felt like a true 'Black Mirror' episode was Striking Vipers.

"Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too" was kind of a bizarre episode. The 'futuristic tech' part was in there, but they have the technology to transfer someone's entire consciousness into a computer and they use it to create a dumbed down version of a pop star for a doll? Like... why? And the whole part where they 'removed the limiter' was ridiculous.

I didn't really mind the story/acting/etc, it just didn't feel like Black Mirror to me.

Smithereens was the same way, only it didn't even feature any futuristic tech. I thought it probed an interesting angle in how big tech companies have more of our information than even the government, but that wasn't really the point of the episode.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Just finished season 5 and it's definitely the worst one. You never know what you're gonna get with an episode so you're bound to not like some and love others, but this was well below par overall. Also, I enjoyed Bandersnatch but not enough to warrant getting a condensed season with average to bad episodes.

Smithereens > Virtually banging your homie >>>>> Miley Cyrus murdering Nine Inch Nails
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.