*** BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE ***

16,037 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Yoda
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I could have sworn there was a thread for this when the first trailer dropped, but I just searched and I guess not.

Regardless, I just got out of the movie itself... and it is FANTASTIC. Like, easily one my favorites of the year so far and probably in my top three as of now.

One questions, though...

Why on earth release it a week after A Star is Born and on the same weekend as First Man???

This movie would have KILLED in, say, August or September. Even though the showing I was at tonight was sold out, I'm afraid it's just going to get lost in the Oscar shuffle this month. This weekend is literally the last weekend through the end of the year that I would have chosen to release it.

Still, all that aside... holy sh*t, what a ride. I honestly cannot think of a single frame, character, or plot point I'd change or even tweak. Every second of this movie is absolute perfection, IMO. It's just so unique, so uniquely told, and keeps you guessing / on the edge of your seat 'til the very end. The structure is really cool too, and in that sense (and in other ways as well), it's VERY Tarantino-esque. No one can match Tarantino's dialogue, of course, but I'd argue that on the whole, while not quite as relentless, shocking, or even as gory as Tarantino's movies can be, this comes pretty damn close at times.

As we were in line getting our parking validated, I heard some nerd behind me saying it "fell apart after that," and I don't know which scene he was talking about, but man, I cannot imagine finding fault in this movie or where that point would be (though I'm now sure plenty will try and take me up on that challenge). Yes, I guess the final act could be interpreted as somewhat... random... but not really because it's set up so subtly well throughout.

All I know is that I loved, loved, loved this movie. The cast is phenomenal. There are so many twists and turns. And man, what a soundtrack too. There's one character, in particular - the black woman in the trailer - who sings '60s hits throughout, and she's just amazing. Her singing is organic to the plot at times too in a really neat way.

I know there's a ton to see at the movies all of the sudden, but go see this as soon as you can. Not only would I love for this to be as successful as possible, but I can't wait to read the discussion/reactions around here as well.

I may just be high on the post-movie buzz, but I really do think this could be somewhat of a classic eventually. Even if, potentially lost in all the Oscar fare this fall, it takes a few months/years for it to really catch on with audiences on streaming/cable. In the meantime, I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is, a hell of a great time at the theater.

Old Main
AG
I'm going to see it this weekend. Although it seems to be missing a key element (a detective), from the trailer it looks like this movie could be considered a film noir. What do you think?
SbisaVictim95
AG
think i'm going to go see this today and First Man on Sunday. Looking forward to it.
TCTTS
AG
Old Main said:

I'm going to see it this weekend. Although it seems to be missing a key element (a detective), from the trailer it looks like this movie could be considered a film noir. What do you think?

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet (re: a detective). There's somewhat of a detective-ish character, just not in the way you might thing. What's also fun is that ALL the characters are trying to piece everything together, which I much prefer over a shoe-horned detective character in this scenario. And yeah, it has film noir elements, but it's so much more than that. I'm telling you, you've never seen a movie quite like this...
Complete Idiot
This has been heavily advertised, and for so long, that I definitely started thinking it must be a disappointing stinker - just had that feel based on the advertising. Glad to hear it is good because I wanted a film of this type to be done well.
schmendeler
AG
i remember the trailer for this looking really wacky and wild and fun. i'll have to try to see it.
DrEvazanPhD
I'm looking forward to this one. Glad it's gotten positive remarks so far!
ElephantRider
AG
Going to the movies tonight. El Royale or A Star is Born?
Liquid Wrench
This is the first movie in a while that's had me genuinely interested from the commercials and trailers alone.
TCTTS
AG
That's a tough one. Depends on if it's a date or not.
Capstone
AG
Was hoping there was a thread up for this. Skipped out of work this afternoon to go see this movie and was blown away. From watching the trailer, I wasn't sure what to expect - greatly exceeded what I had envisioned.

I was also going to make the comment that it seemed very Tarantino-esque - TCTTS beat me to it. I would have made the assumption that it was one of his, but knew that he wasn't tied to this film. The dialog was great, but not quite up to what you would expect from Q and also, not *quite* as much graphic bloodshed. Great character development, left you guessing what was coming next and even a couple jumps in my seat.

I also appreciated that, outside of Bridges-Helmsworth-Hamm, they used relatively up and coming actors to fill the remaining major parts - each giving outstanding performances. I will admit that I never saw any of the 50 Shades movies, so I was unfamiliar with Dakota Johnson, so calling her relatively unknown/up and coming might be a bit of a stretch. Bridges was as good/better than any other part I've seen him portray. Hopefully he gets an Oscar nod.

Since it just came out I'm not going to go into specifics, but also caught a bit of a Charlie Manson vibe from one character.

Definitely go see this one!
TCTTS
AG
Good points, and great to hear.
Average Joe
AG
I haven't seen it yet but it reminds me of Identity. This looks a lot better than that, though..

Edit: Just clarifying that I'm going strictly off of the trailer since, once again, I haven't seen it.
Ag Since 83
AG
Saw it tonight and LOVED it
TCTTS
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Excellent movie. I was concerned too because of the frequency of advertising but this one delivered.

I said on another thread that Hamm would remind you a little bit of Don Draper, based on appearance and the time period of the movie but it ends there. Jeff Bridges is impeccable. The rest of the casting, so very well done.

I thought while watching that some of the scenes dragged a bit. But, once I walked out, I was over that. As has been said, it is Tarantino-esque in its storytelling, but lacks the punchy dialogue. However, this movie, IMO, was more suspenseful than any QT movie I've seen because there some genuine "jump in your seat" moments.

Go see it. You won't regret it.
TCTTS
AG
I do admit that 10 minutes or more could have easily been trimmed. While I believe that every last scene was essential, and that it was impeccably structured in that regard, they definitely could have trimmed 30 seconds or so from enough of them to get the runtime down a bit.
Sex Panther
AG
That movie was badass. Definite future cult film. Everybody was perfect in their roles, but Jeff Bridges especially shined. Very similar in tone/style to The Cabin In The Woods. Drew Goddard is ridiculously entertaining.

Agree that if there's any complaint to be had, it probably could've been trimmed just a bit, but all in all just an awesome movie.
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
mslags97
AG
Loved this movie!!! And like others said, it did have a QT feel to it.

Also thought Bridges was incredible! And Hemswortj played his role exceptionally well. Surprising role for him, but he was great. Also thought the girl that played the singer knocked it out of the park. She was incredible.

I think this is my favorite of the year so far!
TCTTS
AG
So glad everyone else seems to be digging it. I saw that it has a 76% RT score, and while not bad by any means, I expected a lot better (like around 90%, if not more). Some of the reviews I read almost had me second guessing myself and wondering if I might end up being somewhat alone on this one, but that definitely does not appear to be the case. I can't stop thinking about it and can already tell it's going to be one of those movies that if I come across it on cable, no matter what scene it is, I'm going to have to watch 'til the end.
double aught
AG
Does the repetiveness of 'the' and 'el' in the title bother anyone else?

Just me? Ok.
Boo Weekley
Can't wait to see this one. Looks refreshingly original. Glad to hear the positive reviews, I trust Texags more than RT (almost always).
Bunk Moreland
Going to see this very soon.
TCTTS
AG
Huh?
Sex Panther
AG
No idea what he means with the repetitive "I", but I assume he's saying that "El" means "The" in Spanish, so it basically says, "Bad Times At The The Royale"

I don't think it counts when it's in a different language though, and yes you're the only one bothered by it.
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
TCTTS
AG
Ah, that makes sense. Didn't catch that.
OldArmy71
AG
Maybe it's like saying "the hoi polloi," even though "hoi" means "the."
captkirk
AG
Great movie. Not sure what I would compare this to.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
double aught said:

Does the repetiveness of 'the' and 'l' in the title bother anyone else?

Just me? Ok.

It's like saying, "I've got the best suite at the El Cortez!"

If you you were texting/phoning a friend would you say, "I've got the best suite at the The Cortez!"

Didn't think so.
ElephantRider
AG
El is part of the name. The hotel isn't just "Royale"
double aught
AG
I don't think that's relevant to the point I was trying to make.
ElephantRider
AG
double aught said:

I don't think that's relevant to the point I was trying to make.

It is though
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was pretty good. Felt like someone trying to do their best Tarantino impression. (And I mean that in a good way.)

A friend described it as Hateful 8 meets Jackie Brown, which is pretty accurate.

My biggest takeaway is that I cannot wait for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

So who was on the tape?
TCTTS
AG
My guess is Kennedy. He fits the stature, the "dead" criteria at the time, would have obviously been of interest to the FBI, and there were a couple framed pictures of Marylin Monroe on the wall in the main area, among all the other celebrities who had stayed there, and Kennedy of course has always been rumored to have had an affair with her. But even if it wasn't with her, it could have been Kennedy with prostitutes or whoever else.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good one. For whatever reason I was thinking an entertainer like an Elvis or Sinatra, but that makes a lot more sense.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.