**** Rocketman ****

6,948 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Trident 88
mike_ags_fan12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw it last night. It was a great film made in the way of how Elton would have wanted it. Wasn't expecting it to be musical-ly but it fit in very well.
expresswrittenconsent
Bad, but in a less enjoyable way than BR was bad.
The Kraken
AG
Really well done movie, enjoyed it very much. I was concerned after reading about the musical/fantasy elements since I'm not really into musicals.... but it works very well in the way they are woven into the end product. The performances are fantastic.
AgLaw
AG
I loved this movie. It was a very imaginative take on the traditional biopic fitting for the type of entertainer Elton John is. It reminded me of La La Land - a new take on the old fashioned Hollywood musical. This has the same type of feel. Highly recommend it.
Houston Lee
AG
Great movie.
Matt_ag98
Liked it also, not a normal biopic but more of a musical with songs out of chronological order to meet the mood at that point in Elton's life, I personally like Eltons John's music and Taron Egerton does an outstanding job as Elton John!
Tree Hugger
AG
I'm still in shock that Elton john was shagging Robb Stark.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Would've been cool if Bohemian Rhapsody had used the same actor (dude played by Littlefinger), and created a Rock Star Cinematic Universe.
annie88
AG
AgLaw said:

I loved this movie. It was a very imaginative take on the traditional biopic fitting for the type of entertainer Elton John is. It reminded me of La La Land - a new take on the old fashioned Hollywood musical. This has the same type of feel. Highly recommend it.
This. Saw today, very well done.
annie88
AG
Tree Hugger said:

I'm still in shock that Elton john was shagging Robb Stark.
Good thing they didn't have their own red wedding.
Trident 88
AG
I thought the acting was great, and I was impressed with the singing. Taron Egerton will certainly get nominated for best actor, and Jamie Bell for best supporting. (In hindsight, has Jamie Bell ever disappointed? He's a really fine actor who should get more work after his portrayal of Bernie Taupin.)

I didn't enjoy it as much as BR because:
- Some of the musical fantasy sequences were just cheesy / not my cup of tea.
- It focused too much on Elton's tortured life and not enough on the creative process that brought us so many great songs from him and Bernie during the seventies. The movie is extremely bitter until the end. Even when Elton is having a good time performing, the movie still makes it a point to remind us that he's spinning out of control. Of course, we realize this. You don't have to keep shoving it in our face.
Muy
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

Saw it last night. It was a great film made in the way of how Elton would have wanted it. Wasn't expecting it to be musical-ly but it fit in very well.

Isn't he still alive?
aglaohfour
AG
Muy said:

mike_ags_fan12 said:

Isn't he still alive?

Still alive AND a producer of the film.

Did anyone else think that this would translate perfectly into a broadway production? I'd see it on the stage in a heartbeat. I went in expecting it to be a lot like BR, which I also loved, but I'm so glad this was it's own thing. Made me love Elton John even more than I already did.
toucan82
That's what they want you to think

Open your eyes, man
WestAustinAg
AG
I believe Elton's husband is the producer....so you can't really expect much insight into the flaws of Elton in that situation.
israeliag
AG
WestAustinAg said:

I believe Elton's husband is the producer....so you can't really expect much insight into the flaws of Elton in that situation.
If my wife ever produced a film about me, I'm pretty sure it'd be all insight into my flaws.
Trident 88
AG
Agoodlittleag04 said:

Did anyone else think that this would translate perfectly into a broadway production? I'd see it on the stage in a heartbeat. I went in expecting it to be a lot like BR, which I also loved, but I'm so glad this was it's own thing. Made me love Elton John even more than I already did.
Of course. My first thought as soon as I saw the opening dance number is that we'll be seeing this on Broadway next year or sooner.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.