**** Rocketman ****

6,987 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Trident 88
LHIOB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taron Egerton is Sir Elton John

F*** YES
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
jeffk
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Won't be as good as the original.

Seriously, Harland Williams is rolling over in his grave.
redd38
AG
Hopefully we get a Rocketman vs Bohemian Rhapsody crossover movie where they fight to the death. Possibly in space.
ElCheAg
AG
Aw man! I thought it was a movie about Kim Jong Un.
bigjag19
AG
Should be good.

Did this come about after Kingsman?
Ag 11
AG
maca1028
Trailer looks awesome! Hopefully it measures up to Bohemian Rhapsody.
Olsen
AG
With Rami Malek winning the Best Actor award at the Oscars last night for Bohemian Rhapsody, I have Taron Egerton as the front runner winning the same award next year. He sang with Elton over the weekend and I thought he did great!

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was fantastic.
jackie childs
hey, if Malek can lip sync his way to an Oscar, then Egerton should have next year's in the bag
Duncan Idaho
I was hoping this was going to a sequel to "the interview" but a love story with Alec Baldwin
agdoc2001
AG
Queen movie and Elton movie in the same year? Not even my birthday.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Liquid Wrench
Good Aggie Hunting said:

With Rami Malek winning the Best Actor award at the Oscars last night for Bohemian Rhapsody, I have Taron Egerton as the front runner winning the same award next year. He sang with Elton over the weekend and I thought he did great!

Auditioning for their performance at next year's Oscars.
Fairview
AG
They have some work to do before then. Taron did a nice job but Elton looked like that was the last place he wanted to be. Pretty sure he was day dreaming the first half of the video.

That said, how cool would it be to sing an Elton John song accompanied by Elton John and then turn it into a duet at the end.
hurleyag
AG
I hate that you cant go to a concert anymore without seeing a thousand screens trying to record a grainy video between you and the musician.
GIF Reactor
AG
hurleyag said:

I hate that you cant go to a concert anymore without seeing a thousand screens trying to record a grainy video between you and the musician.

The "likes" they get from sharing it on social media outweigh the enjoyment they derive from being present in the moment. And then the moment is reduced to a cell phone video or photo they'll probably never watch or look at, except when their post appears in their "on this day" memories. They are a spectator to their own life, or at least the one they present on social media.
LeonardSkinner
Electrical_Ag said:

hurleyag said:

The "likes" they get from sharing it on social media outweigh the enjoyment they derive from being present in the moment. And then the moment is reduced to a cell phone video or photo they'll probably never watch or look at, except when their post appears in their "on this day" memories. They are a spectator to their own life, or at least the one they present on social media.

This is an awesome line.
"Just retreat into a corner somewhere, suck your thumb and find a way to blame your parents for your ignorance. But do not...under any circumstances...procreate to further denigrate the human gene pool."
-aggiehawg
AustinAg2K
I'm going to be extremely disappointed if they don't give Tony Danza a cameo.
Olsen
AG
AustinAg2K
Typical left wing liberal Hollywood having to make our heros from our childhood gay now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bump
Prime0882
AG
This is the first movie where I'm really considering going to opening weekend dressed up in cosplay.
Ag Since 83
AG
Posted on the other thread:

I thought it was great

Really interesting combination of a musical fantasy and a movie much more willing to go dark than Bohemian Rhapsody was (and I liked BR)

Egerton and Jamie Bell were both really good
Know Your Enemy
AG
****ing terrible. Couldn't have been more disappointed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So what actually made it terrible for you?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So what actually made it terrible for you?
Remember Cop Rock? It's like that except about Elton John.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I had to google that.

Care to explain to someone in their 30's?

So far, I gather you hated that it was a fantastical musical. Which, seemed pretty clear to me from the trailers.
Know Your Enemy
AG
It's not a biopic filled with Elton John's wonderful music. It's a musical with all these weird fantasy/dream sequences. Maybe it's my fault for not knowing what I was walking into. I am shocked at the RT scores right now.
Ag Since 83
AG
I do think there's a risk some people will be disappointed for that reason if they don't fully internalize the trailers.

This movie s VERY different from BR. It's a fantasy musical, and a hard R vs the PG-13 music celebration BR was.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What's interesting/ironic is that based on the descriptions of each movie, you'd expect those ratings to be swapped.
Ag Since 83
AG
Random fact that may interest only me: this is at least the 2nd movie (after Sing) where Taron Egerton sings I'm Still Standing
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Enjoyed it.

Best Actor nom is in the bag.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To give further thoughts:

This movie is not a by-the-numbers, formulaic biopic, and I loved that. The movie felt fresh and kept me interested all the way through. (Except for maybe a 10 minute stretch near the middle of the movie.)

This movie did a great job of moving plot along via musical numbers. It's more metaphorical in parts, which is a nice change from basic biopics. (For example, the Bennie and the Jets setpiece and all of the story that it gets across.)

Due to that, the movie moves along and it never really stalls in any one time period.

Also, Taron Edgerton is just fantastic.

This movie needs nominations for everything Bohemian Rhapsody got.
TXAG 05
AG
Junkhead said:

It's not a biopic filled with Elton John's wonderful music. It's a musical with all these weird fantasy/dream sequences. Maybe it's my fault for not knowing what I was walking into. I am shocked at the RT scores right now.

Haven't seen it yet, but the trailers make it look like a by the book biopic, nothing that looks likefantasy sequences in any of the trailers I've seen. Good to know that going into it
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.