Favorite War Movies?

7,332 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Head Ninja In Charge
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HtownAg92 said:

I think everything has been mentioned about WWII and Vietnam.

How about Civil War?

Glory
Dances With Wolves (opening battle scene)
Cold Mountain
Outlaw Josey Wales

Or French and Indian War:

Last of the Mohicans

Okay so not technically a war movie, but

Gone with the Wind
AverageJones
AG
No one has mentioned Forrest Gump yet?
HalifaxAg
AG
Yes, it was horribly cheesy and yes the novel was light years better. But for what it was at the time it came out, it was fun to watch.
AGinHI
AG
I find the various responses, or lack there of, to the genre-defining SPR interesting.

It reminds me of when I listened to Heavy Metal in the 80s, and once a band went mainstream fans in the know-and with a greater appreciation of what constitutes true metal-eschewed them in favor of some nondescript bands.

“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
FWAppraiser
AG
JABQ04 said:

HtownAg92 said:

I think everything has been mentioned about WWII and Vietnam.

How about Civil War?

Glory
Dances With Wolves (opening battle scene)
Cold Mountain
Outlaw Josey Wales

Or French and Indian War:

Last of the Mohicans

Gettysburg is probably my favorite movie.

It's one of my favorite war movies. It's long, but worth it.
OldArmy71
AG
Speaking of Civil War movies, Ride With the Devil is an excellent, unappreciated gem.
V8Aggie
AG

jeffk
AG
One I haven't seen mentioned yet is Passchendaele.

Canadian film about WWI. Battle scenes and Western Front depiction are horrifyingly realistic.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092082/?mode=desktop
HtownAg92
AG
Navy Seals - a bit cheesy and over-the-top, but a good effort at showing "here's all the stuff Seals can do" into a movie

Other good Seal movies:

Tears of the Sun
Lone Survivor

Off topic question that has bothered me about Lone Survivor:

After they let the shepherds go and saw the Afghan troops staged on the ridge, why didn't they pop smoke and retreat the way they came? Seems like they could have had enough cover to get back to their previous check-in point before being surrounded. Could be as simple as they didn't carry smoke on their recon mission. Someone may know.

Also, I know they did the humane thing by not tying up the shepherds to die of exposure, but I wish they would have at least hobbled them somehow.
tk for tu juan
Anyone ever watch Strategic Air Command? Is it worth seeing? Saw this scene once when searching for B-36 flyovers and thought it was one of the better takeoff scenes on film.

JABQ04
AG
Another great one. So many Great War movies it's hard to remember them all.
jkag89
If you are an aviation buff it is worth your while since there are several nice aerial sequences like the one you posted. The story itself is rather unremarkable.
tk for tu juan
Thanks, just noticed it is on Amazon Prime.
rugger74
AG
Old tv series 'Twelve O'clock High' and 'Combat'
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
JABQ04 said:

Pahdz said:

Memphis Belle

I'll take my licks now

I just watched that a few weeks ago. I enjoy it. I hole the BoB epic about the 8th AF gets made by Hanks/Spielberg but don't think it ever will. The air war in Europe is so often overlooked but was worse than being a Marine in the Pacific in regards to casualties. Absolutely horrible
I am currently reading the book upon which that 8Th Air Force mini series is reportedly to be based, Masters of the Air. I'm a lifelong nut regarding WWII aviation, and while I generally understood what it was like in a B-17 or B-24 over Nazi Germany, this book paints quite a grim picture. I also hope that series gets made.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Anyone ever watch Strategic Air Command? Is it worth seeing? Saw this scene once when searching for B-36 flyovers and thought it was one of the better takeoff scenes on film.

That is an excellent movie with real footage of not only the B-36 Peacemaker but also the B-47 Stratojet. And Jimmy Stewart reprising his real-life role as a bomber pilot.
wangus12
AG
The Lost Battalion that was a tv movie
Thunder18
AG
Black Hawk Down
We Were Soldiers
Hacksaw Ridge
Fury
Braveheart
Master and Commander
Apocalypse Now
Apocalypto (tribal warfare)
Last of the Mohicans
The Patriot
HtownAg92
AG
Masada (TV)
Troy
NoahAg
Duncan Idaho said:

The most right answer is paths of glory.

The most wrong answer is american sniper.
I skimmed the 3 pages, and don't think American Sniper has been mentioned. I remember it being really good. Am I missing something? Is it unpopular to like this movie?
captainsubtext
War movies that have not been mentioned or at least I didn't see them mentioned.

Breaker Morant - Excellent film on the Boer War. Themes include colonial armies combatting guerilla warfare and the politics of disposable soldiers.

The Americanization of Emily - James Garner and Julie Andrews star in a film where the cynical protagonist cares about saving his own butt in preparation for D-Day. James Coburn is hilarious.

The King of Hearts - a funny farce about WWI.

bigboykin
AG
Tropic Thunder?
malenurse
AG
Star Wars
The War Wagon
Lord of War
Charlie Wilson's War
War of the Roses
This Means War
World War Z
Captain America: Civil War
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
NICU Dad
AG
lots of good ones already mentioned.

how about:

Escape from Sobibor
The Shank Ag
Hacksaw Ridge
Saving Private Ryan
Patton
The Patriot
Sapper Redux
I am surprised no one has brought up Zulu.
JABQ04
AG
Dr. Watson said:

Posted Zulu on page one. I also like Zulu Dawn
JABQ04
AG
Is this the book? If it is I think I read it. Those men had balls of steel to go up knowing that the odds of making 25 missions was almost nil

Sapper Redux
JABQ04 said:

Dr. Watson said:

Posted Zulu on page one. I also like Zulu Dawn

Whoops, missed it. The scene with the two sides singing towards one another really raises the hair on the back of my neck. Too bad it didn't actually happen.
JABQ04
AG
I enjoy listening to "Men of Harlech".
Goro Majima
AG
It's a bit by the numbers as far as plot but Act of Valor.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
JABQ04 said:

Is this the book? If it is I think I read it. Those men had balls of steel to go up knowing that the odds of making 25 missions was almost nil

This is the book that I'm reading.

It's well written and paints an oftentimes extremely graphic picture of the environment in which those young men had to operate. I cannot even begin to imagine how these guys were able to overcome their fears of what they were flying into just to get the job done. All of these men deserve our respect.

As for the mini-series, I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever get made. These guys should have their story told in visual terms of what this writer's (and other writers) words convey. There are some good moments in movies like Memphis Belle, but at the end of the day it barely scratched the surface of the hell these guys flew into, and there was too much fluff in that movie.
JABQ04
AG
Yes. I have read that book, but it's been awhile. I have my doubts on the series being made as well. It's been in "the works" for at least 5 years.
Duncan Idaho
NoahAg said:

Duncan Idaho said:

The most right answer is paths of glory.

The most wrong answer is american sniper.
I skimmed the 3 pages, and don't think American Sniper has been mentioned. I remember it being really good. Am I missing something? Is it unpopular to like this movie?

It is not unpopular to like this movie.

I just thought it was a bad movie that fell short of what it was trying to do.

If the movie had either come out 20 years from now or didn't have the funeral procession, it would have been met with a resounding ho-hum.
Corporal Punishment
AG
captainsubtext said:

Breaker Morant - Excellent film on the Boer War. Themes include colonial armies combatting guerilla warfare and the politics of disposable soldiers.
Very good movie. I visited the movie set (the fort where they held the court marshal) last spring. Bryan Brown is an underrated actor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.