*******CBS Magnum PI Reboot*******

7,432 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Gap
Whachutalnbout Willys
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jlwalker95 said:

Not sure where I come out on this and will watch it to see how it is. I was stationed in Hawaii toward the end of the original series being filmed and you would see Tom Selleck and several of the others out and about. Selleck was always gracious and would take the time to talk to everyone as did all the other cast when you would see them around the island. So unlike the New H5O that I do like I will try and keep an open mind.

Hopefully they fix up the house from the original series for it had at one point gone into disrepair.
Per IMDB...

In 2014, the estate that was used for "Robin's Nest" was listed for sale at a price of $15.75 million. In March 2015, it sold for $8.7 million. In April 2018, all of the buildings on the estate were demolished.
Burdizzo
AG
Well, the floor plan of the guest house that Magnum lived in was kind of odd.
oragator
The new house might be nicer.

The show, not so much.
Always_Right
AG
Watching it now, the acting is not great but I'll give it a few episodes before I decide whether to continue watching or not.
Legacy Work Spaces
Corporal Punishment said:

Quote:

Higgins was going to be his servant, and so on. Tom Selleck put his foot down (somehow) and said that was completely unrealistic. That no PI would ever make that sort of money, and if he had that sort of money already then he wouldn't choose to be a PI.
That didn't stop ABC from making this crap:

Wow, I never connected these two shows til now. But you are right, so so similar. I liked Magnum, but I also liked Matt Houston as well. It was a fun watch.
Legacy Work Spaces - www.LegacyWorkSpaces.com

Office Space - CoWorking- Meeting- Virtual Mail-Technology
jackie childs
i thought they did a good job with the theme song
Stupe
S
The 70's and 80's had some great action shows. I miss that era of TV.
Stupe
S
Did anyone watch it on Monday night?
aTmAg
AG
Stupe said:

Did anyone watch it on Monday night?
Yep. It was cheese.

It's what I would expect if the Disney Channel wanted to remake Magnum PI. Throw in some asinine stunts, a few destroyed Ferraris, and some waterboarding to make it "edgy".
oragator
The first scene in NK (clearly filmed in hawaii) reminded me of this:

https://yarn.co/yarn-story/786aca5b-efd1-447c-b974-c3fe8b15ff37
91AggieLawyer
AG
The premiere wasn't exactly horrible but it isn't anywhere near good enough to keep me tuned in, especially as I watch very little TV. I did watch much of the original and liked it, but that was when I was in HS and college. Had I been a few years older, I doubt I would have been interested. I did, however, mimic Magnum's wear to a certain extent in college -- shorts, polo or t-shirt (no Hawaiian), Pumas, and a Rolex. Mine was a Submariner, unlike Magnum's GST. I wasn't imitating him as much as I just thought it was a cool look.
bigjohn1
AG
Watched it last night on DVR.

I liked it. I think some of the negativity towards this is mis-placed, as the original was cheesy and over the top at times, with several 4th wall breaking moments of Magnum looking at the camera with his signature eyebrow raise and smirk. Some may have selective memory of the original show being a bastion of emmy-worthy writing and acting, but it was not in the first few seasons - it was more of a Hawaii tourism commercial.

That being said, I was a fan of the original, and I will give this one a shot, as I liked the actors and their spins on the various roles. (and I liked the Hawaii Five-O tie in with the ME)

Also, while not in the industry (someone correct me if I am wrong if one of you industry types is on here), it is my understanding that often a pilot is written, shot and in the can well before a season order is placed. The writing, producing, filming, character development, etc. can undergo changes and improvements by the time they production gets underway and 2-3 episodes into telling a full season story, rather than a single-shot attention-getting pilot episode. I try to wait at least 4-5 episodes in before making a decision to stick with a show or not.

But that is just my take...
Ringo88
AG
I'll echo the posts about wrecked Ferrari's. Something happening to a new model which necessitates rolling out the classic model is a very cool nostalgia nod.

Subsequently wrecking the classic is a slap in the face to both fans and the series legacy. I was onboard and willing to offer buy-in until that moment.
chris1515
AG
The interplay between Magnum and Higgins in the original was so good. That element is going to be seriously missed. I wish they'd have tried to replicate that but instead they went another direction.

Oh well, I'm happy to have any Magnum reboot over Nothing.
kyledr04
AG
Very cool that Magnums pistol is based on an STI gun.
AgTrip
I'm liking Rick. So far, its good...cheesy but good.
aTmAg
AG
bigjohn1 said:

Watched it last night on DVR.

I liked it. I think some of the negativity towards this is mis-placed, as the original was cheesy and over the top at times, with several 4th wall breaking moments of Magnum looking at the camera with his signature eyebrow raise and smirk. Some may have selective memory of the original show being a bastion of emmy-worthy writing and acting, but it was not in the first few seasons - it was more of a Hawaii tourism commercial.

That being said, I was a fan of the original, and I will give this one a shot, as I liked the actors and their spins on the various roles. (and I liked the Hawaii Five-O tie in with the ME)

Also, while not in the industry (someone correct me if I am wrong if one of you industry types is on here), it is my understanding that often a pilot is written, shot and in the can well before a season order is placed. The writing, producing, filming, character development, etc. can undergo changes and improvements by the time they production gets underway and 2-3 episodes into telling a full season story, rather than a single-shot attention-getting pilot episode. I try to wait at least 4-5 episodes in before making a decision to stick with a show or not.

But that is just my take...
I only watched the pilot, but the others are DVRed, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

But, within the context of what the original was allowed to work in, it was pretty damned good. Early on they were required to follow the "case of the week" format where each episode was wrapped in a nice bow. The network wanted episodes to air reruns in any order and not have viewers confused. It wasn't until later, (especially when Tom Selleck was producing) where they broke from that and started having plot lines span episodes and seasons. At that point I think it was easily the best show on television at the time.

It was also the first show to present Vietnam veterans in a positive light. That was something they had to fight the network over. Eventually they convinced CBS to let them film the pilot and that if the network didn't like the Vietnam stuff, that they could edit it out. Of course, they riddled Vietnam everywhere and made it virtually impossible to edit, so CBS basically had to air it as was. It hit big, and they received tons of letters from Vietnam vets and their families thanking the show for finally treating them fairly. The show was given more leeway after that. The more leeway they were given the better it got, IMO.
Ferg
They just added Tim Kang who played Detective Cho in the Mentalist to the cast as an HPD detective. I think he replaces the detective from the pilot as a regular.
exitone
AG
I was a huge Magnum PI fan when I was young, so I had a slight interest in this when I heard about it. I watched the pilot with low expectations and was not impressed at all. I was not planning on watching any further episodes. However, last night I decided to give it another go for lack of anything else to do. I ended up watching episode 2 and half of 3. I think my opinion has changed. I have come around on the guy playing Magnum, and the show as a whole seems to be past that odd pilot feel into something more grounded. I'm going to give this another few episodes to see if it can continue to improve.

My one main comment though is that this really has a Burn Notice vibe.
  • Magnum = Michael
  • Higgins = Fiona
  • Rick = Sam
  • Voice overs
  • Hawaii = Miami
  • Ferrari = whatever Michael drove (cant remember)

Anyone else catch a Burn Notice vibe?
Ferg
all they need is for Magnum to narrate the words "when you're a spy" every episode.
Gap
AG
I watched a couple of episodes after the pilot now. I thought the pilot was very meh and not something I would be interested in. I watched episodes 2 and 3 in the past couple of days and found them entertaining and enjoyable. The interaction in the pilot between Magnum and Higgins was stiff and had no positive chemistry. I thought that changed in episodes 2 and 3. It isn't meant to be the Sopranos or Game of Thrones. I'm entertained by it as the law and order show with a little comedy and if it keeps going like this I'll keep watching it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.