*******CBS Magnum PI Reboot*******

7,431 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Gap
BurnetAggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The original was good but like anything else a lot of reboots happening these days.

Ferg
They will probably use a lot of the infrastructure that they have there for 50
oragator
Like the idea of a female Higgins, the show needed a regular woman.
But the idea of a fast and furious style show doesn't seem terribly appealing to me.

Another chance for Higgins to be robin masters though. I want that finally answered dammit.
Ferg
Duplicate post sorry
Ferg
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Well magnum and higgins sure the hell better nit hook up.
MGS
Ferg said:

They will probably use a lot of the infrastructure that they have there for 50
Which was exactly what they did with the original series.
bearamedic99
AG
that stunt at the end looked horrible, both the cgi and concept/plausibility.

And where is the damn mustache?
AustinAg2K
bearamedic99 said:

I am assuming that stunt at the end was Magnum retelling it for one of the books. If that's the kind of stuff they have, the show will be terrible. I am going to have a tough time watching the show, anyways. Tom Selleck is Magnum. I don't think I can have anyone else in that role.
Ferg
I felt the way about Jack Lord, but the new 50 has been a blast to watch.
Iowaggie
AG
Will the Simon & Simon reboot soon follow?

Also,
oragator
To follow up on my point about not wanting a fast and furious type show, for all of its hard core 80's faults, the original had a lot around it.
Michelle, Lily, Mac, Ivan, his dad and his death, Vietnam bonds and memories, the naval academy references, Higgins' insecurities about status and his crazy war stories (plus his relationship with Abigail), the love of all things tigers, TC and his relationship with his kids and ex etc. it had a lot going on behind the detective stuff.
Not to mention some of the other recurring things like the rubber chicken, the half brothers, and some really great guest stars (Carol Burnett, Orson Welles and Sinatra just to name a couple, but look at this amazing list: http://magnum-mania.com/Lists/Notable_Guest_Stars.html)
If it's just chases and flash, it won't be remotely the same show.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I thought Dog the Bounty Hunter was the reboot of Magnum PI
BurnetAggie99
I agree it's hard to replicate the original .
MROD92
aTmAg
AG
My understanding is that Tom Selleck made the original show what it was in more ways than one. That originally, he was going to be a James Bond type figure. He was going to own that house and car, Higgins was going to be his servant, and so on. Tom Selleck put his foot down (somehow) and said that was completely unrealistic. That no PI would ever make that sort of money, and if he had that sort of money already then he wouldn't choose to be a PI. He was the impetus behind Magnum being an employee of Robin Masters who let him drive that car and live in the guest house and the sometimes contentious relationship between Higgins and Magnum. That change made the show 1000 times better. Otherwise it would have been lame.

Then later on, Tom Selleck became a producer of the show, and I think the show was even better after that. That's when they started having story lines that spanned multiple episodes and seasons. I remember in the later seasons they wouldn't spoon feed the audience everything. They would have things happen around him, Magnum would notice them, not tell the audience about it, and act on it. It took me a few viewings to figure out "how did he know that?"

This new one has big shoes to fill. I'm not too confident in today's broadcast TV. Maybe if AMC or somebody were doing it, but of course I doubt they could get the rights to any of it.
SlackerAg
AG
Walker, Texas Ranger reboot would have tons of Total Gym commercials. Put Christy Brinkley on the show.
Bregxit
AG
bearamedic99 said:

The whole thing looks terrible.

And Tom Selleck is Magnum. Period.
SlobberKnock
AG
MSFC Aggie
AG
That looks dumb....

CBS sucks
BurnetAggie99
CBS has some good shows like Blue Bloods which Selleck is a producer and actor but also Harmon's NCIS is a good series. Criminal Minds, Bull, and few others. CBS usually has better series than a lot of their other counterparts.

I just don't see them trying to replicate what made the original Magnum PI so great but also Selleck is not involved.
Cancelled
AG
Magnum was one of my favorite shows. When we lived overseas we didn't have tv, so we would get vhs tapes with shows every week. Our weekly tape was: Magnum, Simon and Simon, night court, a team and cheers.
Liquid Wrench
All excellent points. Forgot how much character development there was over the seasons.
PooDoo
AG
That theme song though... still love it.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Quote:

Higgins was going to be his servant, and so on. Tom Selleck put his foot down (somehow) and said that was completely unrealistic. That no PI would ever make that sort of money, and if he had that sort of money already then he wouldn't choose to be a PI.
That didn't stop ABC from making this crap:

80s Guy
No one will ever and I mean ever be able to top the eyebrow lift of the real Tom peering Over the scuba babe rump in the opening credits....
chris1515
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I thought Dog the Bounty Hunter was the reboot of Magnum PI

This post is horrible. Such an insult to the original Magnum! If I were a mod, I would "delete thread and ban user for this one" (only partly joking!)...Although, to be fair, I watched them both.

I think the new Hawaii 5-0 actually resembles the original Magnum than it does the original Five-0.
Render
AG
Perdita Weeks...
Burdizzo
AG
I don't know I will watch the reboot, but I sure wish it was easier to watch reruns of the old Magnum.
FarmerJohn
AG
I'm good with the female Higgins, but should have gone older. Also, stop destroying Ferraris. It's not funny.
MSFC Aggie
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

CBS has some good shows like Blue Bloods which Selleck is a producer and actor but also Harmon's NCIS is a good series. Criminal Minds, Bull, and few others. CBS usually has better series than a lot of their other counterparts.
Eh....I respect your opinion to like them, but I think all those shows aren't very good (just my opinion). I haven't watched a major network show (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) probably since Lost. Well...maybe 24....can't remember which one ended last.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I have all the old episodes on DvR when they played them on one of the classics channels. My son loves to stay up with me sometimes and watch them. He was excited to see the preview for the new show at the movies but I have no faith the new show will be watchable.
Urban Ag
AG
80s Guy said:

No one will ever and I mean ever be able to top the eyebrow lift of the real Tom peering Over the scuba babe rump in the opening credits....
I was literally thinking the same thing
MarineAggie95
AG
Not sure where I come out on this and will watch it to see how it is. I was stationed in Hawaii toward the end of the original series being filmed and you would see Tom Selleck and several of the others out and about. Selleck was always gracious and would take the time to talk to everyone as did all the other cast when you would see them around the island. So unlike the New H5O that I do like I will try and keep an open mind.

Hopefully they fix up the house from the original series for it had at one point gone into disrepair.
agracer
AG
Uhm....shoot up and destroy new awesome 488 Spyder...switch to classic 308 GTS, then destroy it as well. Now in a California, the only 'chick' Ferrari ever made.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.