[Staff Warning on OP]Hollywood about to get rocked? Fallout from Weinstein RICO Case.

13,115 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aTmAg
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4491672-Weinstein-Rico-06-01-2018-Suit.html

This is a x-post from politics, but I know there are some insiders here from LA.

Thread topic for discussion (not politics):
How would studios and media be affected from this case? There are some named corporations that include Disney and Miramax (so far), along with quite a few producers. Will this potentially shut down any current works? Would it affect industry ethos as a whole?

[Posters will be civil and polite when giving their opinions on this board or they will be gone for a week. There is your warning. -Staff]
Boo Weekley
Man I hope so.

So tired of those preachy hypocrites. Can't imagine what really goes on in the world of the Hollywood elite.

Hollywood could use a good cleansing.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Hollywood will never change because it attracts a certain personality type. The subset of that personality type that succeed in "the Biz" has some many of the most morally arbitrary group in the US.

There will always be fat ****s who use their power to feed their addiction just as many an actress will use sex to compensate for only so-so acting ability.

But it's nice to see them turn against each other. I was knee capped with the news of Bill Cosby, but loved the death of Kevin Spacey's career despite his great talent - it shows that despite what we see in the news no one should be above the law.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
TCTTS
AG
wxguy95
AG
Take it to the politics board.

[This is a topic about the entertainment industry. -Staff]
GiveEmHellBill
AG

nm

Not worth it.
aTmAg
AG
Wasn't Clooney accused of getting some actress blacklisted during his ER days? It's not like this is coming out of left field.
Charpie
AG
I think you're right
fig96
AG
Spreadsheet posts here regularly, and this would be a welcome topic if it could be discussed amongst those of us who want to actually evaluate its impact on making movies and not Politics posters who only come here to make sure we know what they think.

[Use that little thing called the voting function and it will help us keep it that way. - Staff]
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
I don't understand how y'all could be college educated but believe the arts live in a vacuum.

The medium of film has ALWAYS been used as a medium of social and political commentary.

If there are those who simply want to sit in a circle jerk and talk about how bad ass the cinematography of the Hanna Montana Movie was, cool. But to show dismay at the political connotations of film makes one look unsophisticated of thought.

From Casablanca and Citizen Kane to Apocalypse Now and In the Heat of the Night to a f_cking Dolph Lundgren movie, film has been trying to say things without literally saying them. In the contemporary America culture wars Hollywood film makers are being more blatant than ever before. For those people who don't live on a fence or under a rock it's gonna get a reaction.

Steve McQueen
G Martin 87
AG
fig96 said:

G Martin 87 said:

wxguy95 said:

Take it to the politics board.
It's already there, where it doesn't seem to be a good fit. Interesting that the Entertainment board's reaction is like that of Hollywood's: ignore it and hope it goes away.
No, our reaction is whatever needs to happen to make the Politics board posters go away.
I post on multiple boards around here, including this one. The Political board doesn't seem too interested in discussing the impact of the story on the Entertainment industry. Weinstein is (was?) one of the most powerful executives in movies. Seems like the Entertainment board would be the proper place to discuss what happens next.
Bobcat06
AG
This will be a very relevant thread to the Entertainment board, but since no one knows what the extent of fallout will be, the posts thus far are meaningless conjecture and condemnations if an entire industry based on vague generalizations.

Bookmarkthis thread and check back in a month or two, but until then I expect this thread to devolve into a cripple fight of insults.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
TCTTS said:

It's not that we went to avoid discussing the politics of art. It's that we want to avoid the lunatics from the Politics board injecting their opinions about art. Two very different things. I and many others would LOVE to discuss the deeper political subtext of certain films, shows, directors, etc. But unfortunately, whenever that happens, because a part of TexAgs attracts a very specific brand of conservative, it's like a Batsignal goes up and the discussion very quickly turns into a Hollywood/SJW/"Libtard" bash fest. I've seen it happen a thousand times and it's always the same, cliched, venomous bias and language. So apologies for not wanting deal with all that bullsh*t year after year. We learned a long time that this place is far more tolerable when politics is left to the Politics board.

We'll, you make a damn good point. I lean to right and it feels like the medium I love, film, has it out for me and my way of life. Intelligent people know when they're being insulted. But you're point is solid and it's a point taken.

I agree with you and think that it may be best if politically charged discussions stayed on the board set aside.

But there will continue be a gray area between the two because art in all it's forms is an expression of self; our hopes, our fears, our humanity.

Gig'em

Steve McQueen
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. And I appreciate your attitude. Yes, I find myself disagreeing with you on certain topics, but I greatly appreciate the civil discourse we can have. Your openness to seeing another point of view - or at least cordially agreeing to disagree - makes me want to be more open to doing the same. If only more politically minded posters here had your temperament.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nothing to with Clooney. He just clearly has some sort of deep-seeded issues that he is projecting onto Hollywood and it's disturbing.

Also, I'm a fan or Hartman and don't hate Andy Dick.
aTmAg
AG
This whole Weinstein thing has showed that Hollywood is a cesspool of sorts (not everybody). So it's not like those deep seeded issues are baseless. People pretty much universally hate congress, and that's okay apparently, but they don't seem to be as deviant as Hollywood has shown itself to be over the past year.
Madmarttigan
AG
TC said it much more eloquently than I would be able to, but he hit it on the nose. Political discussion of a film is one thing, but searching for the liberal/SJW boogeyman in every film and seeing people post about it in a strong majority of threads gets old really fast. I prefer the political vacuum over the eye rolling political conversations that get started here that end up sounding like the same broken record.
aTmAg
AG
Much of that should be blamed on Hollywood. They inject politics into about 75% of what they do. And in not talking about movie stars spouting their opinions on their own time, but crap injected into the movies themselves. When they do that, of course people are going to talk about it. You shouldn't call people who talk about it lunatics, but the people who injected politics into the source material in the first place.
The Debt
It's very telling when people passively condone actions of someone because they provide entertainment. (We saw this with R Kelly and countless athletes.)

This Rico case is going to implicate many in Hollywood and the based on the reaction of folks in this thread "it's a shame" but most of yall are against any real justice or reform because it interrupts your entertainment endorphins.

Hollywood is not too big to prosecute, but it is too big to denounce for some of you.
aTmAg
AG
What does this mean?

Edit: Look at any movie thread on this board. People argue/discuss everything about it. Was it realistic? Why did character X do that? Why did they kill off character Z? What does it all mean? etc. Threads go on for many pages discussing these sorts of things. Apparently that is okay with you guys..but as soon as somebody brings up something in the movie that was political, well NOW it is lunacy to discuss it. Nevermind it was a decision the movie makers made to put that political point in there in the first place. Why is only THAT part of the movie needed to be taken to a separate board? Even though it's a discussion about the movie, not worthy of its own thread, probably only watched by a handful of people on the politics board, etc?

Does that mean that the flying parts of Top Gun can only be discussed on the military board? The baseball parts of The Field of Dreams and Bull Duram should only be discussed on the baseball board? Scenes with computer hacking only be discussed on the nerdery? Wouldn't that be stupid?

How about instead, when we talk about a movie, we discuss it on the entertainment board like we are supposed to? Whether it's about character development, plot, politics, or any of that? And when congressmen are shot on a softball field or Hillary Clinton compares herself to Wonder Woman, those discussions can be kept on the political board rather than the softball and entertainment boards respectively. Doesn't that makes a whole lot more sense?
Tanya 93
aTmAg said:

Wasn't Clooney accused of getting some actress blacklisted during his ER days? It's not like this is coming out of left field.
Clooney didn't have that ability.

People just didn't want to hire her and she blamed him recently to get attention.

aTmAg
AG
CJS4715 said:

I agree some here are overly sensitive about negative discussion of political points in film, but I understand holding the line on this talk. If you don't hold the line, this will become the politics board, and we already have one of those on Texags. There is no reason to have a second one.
The mods already handle that. If I started a thread here making fun of Hillary for comparing herself to Wonder Woman, then it would get moved to the political board. But in a movie like Avatar which is nothing but one political statement after another (with eye candy), then one should expect a thread about it to talk a LOT about politics. Just like the Avenger movie thread talked a lot about superpowers.

The same applies for actors. Somebody like Lena Dunham is going to attract political discussion. And there is nothing wrong with that. Similarly, if there was a Tom Cruise thread, and I was a scientologist, I should not be able to call posters lunatics for criticizing Tom Cruise's scientology stuff. That is relevant to Tom Cruise.

I'm short tctts does not own this board. It's not his place to try to dictate what is discussed on it, and he should be banned for calling posters lunatics for daring to post something he's not in the mood to read.
aTmAg
AG
Tanya 93 said:

aTmAg said:

People just didn't want to hire her and she blamed him recently to get attention.

I don't know much about the case, just remember hearing about it. But all he would have to do is put a word in to Weinstein. Weinstein would put the word out that she was hard to work with and that would be that.

I thought I read that she is/was terminally ill. So it doesn't seem liked she's trying to get money when she's almost dead anyway. And she supposedly left ER and was not fired. People don't do that unless they are unhappy about the job.
Humorous Username
AG
It's times like these I wonder what FAST FRED would say, if he even decided to comment.
Stive
AG
aTmAg said:

Tanya 93 said:

aTmAg said:

I don't know much about the case, just remember hearing about it. But all he would have to do is put a word in to Weinstein. Weinstein would put the word out that she was hard to work with and that would be that.

I thought I read that she is/was terminally ill. So it doesn't seem liked she's trying to get money when she's almost dead anyway. And she supposedly left ER and was not fired. People don't do that unless they are unhappy about the job.

People leave jobs (even good jobs) for all kinds of reasons, that don't involve getting fired, all the time.

bobbranco
AG
We can have movies that make political statements in some manufactured fantasy land but we can't inquire about, comment on or critique the fantasy land that creates the movies?

The Debt
bobbranco said:

We can have movies that make political statements in some manufactured fantasy land but we can't inquire about, comment on or critique the fantasy land that creates the movies?
could you imagine the thread for Narnia? "This is a film about a family and a lion. Take that religious talk to the R&P board!"
bobbranco
AG
Are Corey's accusations valid?
Humorous Username
AG
Even tough I'm one of those scary politics board people, I'll ask a question in line with the OP.

Does this really change much in the long run? Some people may go to jail, or get blacklisted, but someone will step in to fill their shoes. Whether that is an executive that fills in, or a new production company that forms from the pieces of the ones that fall apart, I don't think it will be a sea change in the industry (other than a, hopefully, massive reduction in sexual assault).
aTmAg
AG
Stive said:

aTmAg said:

Tanya 93 said:

aTmAg said:

People leave jobs (even good jobs) for all kinds of reasons, that don't involve getting fired, all the time.

She said it was some sort of abuse/harassment.
Stive
AG
A. That's not what you said.

B. It was insinuated earlier in the thread that Clooney had her removed. Which is it?

Stive
AG
Wow....this thread got gutted.
aTmAg
AG
Stive said:

A. That's not what you said.

B. It was insinuated earlier in the thread that Clooney had her removed. Which is it?

The allegation is that she left due to harassment and was subsequently blacklisted from any future jobs.
aTmAg
AG
I thought the Last Jedi was great, but the politics was nauseating.
Bobcat06
AG
TLJ would have suffered from major plot holes and writing flaws even if it wasn't overly political.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.