What is the most widely seen movie of all time?

15,381 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Well personally surveying my family (parents are 79) their friends that i know, my family and friends my age, and my kids (19-22) and the kids they know.....

Definitely a Disney movie - and I'm a huge Star Wars nerd and my entire family is too.....

But we run into more people (especially younger) that have not seen SW then people who have not seen Lion King for example. In fact I don't know anyone that has not seen Lion King and/or Toy Story. Even my parents saw those and their friends too (via the grandkids, etc.).

Wizard of Oz would be up there but I know young people now that have not seen it - no interest in something so old.

And I know teens, etc. that never saw the original Jurassic Park for example.

It's just that every kid went through the phase of watching every Disney movie pretty much. and their parents had seen them before anyway... and the grandparents via the grandkids at least.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That just solidifies my thoughts that in about 10 years, the answer will be either Toy Story or The Lion King, full stop.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Our kids (9 & under) have seen Oz, Star Wars, Home Alone, The Sound of Music, and, naturally, most of the Disney/Pixar ones.

I can't imagine buying Jurassic Park for them to watch. Sure it was cool, but staying power? Don't think so. Ditto with Titanic, Forrest Gump, and numerous others.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Compared to those others? Maybe not. But I think Jurassic Park is a pretty iconic movie and still hugely influential. I figure most kids will get into dinosaurs at some point and watch it.
expresswrittenconsent
you think that most kids go through a dinosaur phase, and an inevitable part of that phase is to seek out a 25 yr old movie about a dino theme park going horribly wrong?
bobinator
AG
I wish I'd have been in on this thread earlier.

I think y'all are really underestimating Snow White and Cinderella, and maybe Bambi also.
The Debt
expresswrittenconsent said:

you think that most kids go through a dinosaur phase, and an inevitable part of that phase is to seek out a 25 yr old movie about a dino theme park going horribly wrong?

If you want to scare them out of the phase, this is the way to do it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Kids will probably go to Jurassic World first. Then they'll wonder about that park they keep referencing.

And they'll land on JP.

However if they have decent parents, they'll go straight to JP.
bobinator
AG
Although I agree it's the Wizard of Oz and I don't think it's particularly close.
Geriatric Punk
AG
bobinator said:

I wish I'd have been in on this thread earlier.

I think y'all are really underestimating Snow White and Cinderella, and maybe Bambi also.
You know, I've never actually seen Bambi all the way through. I think when I was a young kid someone told me the ending and my response was a prepubescent, "eff that."
Life's an endless party, not a punch card.
JJxvi
AG
What about Bambi 2?
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And you're still friends with them?

Yeah. It's cool to be friends with girls, no matter what movies they have or have not seen.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Kids will probably go to Jurassic World first. Then they'll wonder about that park they keep referencing.

And they'll land on JP.

However if they have decent parents, they'll go straight to JP.
This
Zemira
AG
Late to the party but my vote is Wizard of Oz.

There are other older movies of note but not kid friendly at all (Ten Commandments) and a lot of people don't get star wars. My mom would never have seen Star Wars or any of the franchise if not for my Dad dragging her to go back in the late 70s.

Also I got to watch Oz sinked up to Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd) back in college as part of a class. That kind of cultural imbedded movie is going to stick around.

I made my 10 year old nephew watch the Wizard of Oz this weekend (was on Amazon Prime I believe) for the first time and he was entralled.

If you have kids if you turn on Oz they will watch it, just have to give them opportunity.
The Debt
People focusing on the "under 25" demographic need to realize two things:

1) which I already stated, their aren't as many of them as you think

2) the group is culturally splintered. If you think "oh all the kids are going to see infinity wars" chances are you are thinking of suburban whites, blacks and maybe 1/3rd of Hispanics. You think the Indian kids' parents are taking him to see a movie they dont care to see. You think the vietnamese girl is gonna duck out of her private violin lessons to see "space fantasy film"?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not sure what your point is.
Chipotlemonger
AG
It's fairly easy to read between the lines...his point is that he doesn't think MCU IW doesn't have the great majority coverage of U25 that might be touted by mainstream media or others on here, and he gives reasons why.
Sex Panther
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not sure what your point is.

You can say this about any of his posts and it will still work
MAT
AG
Wizard of Oz is often done by high school and other theater groups which exposes kids of all ages who often seek out the movie to watch.
Bobcat06
AG
oragator said:

Cheating yes, but IMDb has a page for this.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls053826112/
#31 on this list is "City of God".

I'm big on indie films and not only have I never seen "City of God", but also no one I've ever asked has seen "City of God"
Sex Panther
AG
I don't think City of God is even remotely close to the #31 most watched movie of all time, but I will tell you right now that it is an absolutely incredible film and you should definitely watch it.
schmendeler
AG
Bobcat06 said:

oragator said:

Cheating yes, but IMDb has a page for this.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls053826112/
#31 on this list is "City of God".

I'm big on indie films and not only have I never seen "City of God", but also no one I've ever asked has seen "City of God"
is that cidade de deus?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.