What is the most widely seen movie of all time?

15,000 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
TX scallywAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll say Pulp Fiction is over represented here compared to the general population. We're mostly males, on an entertainment board discussing movies. We fit the audience who would know of it and appreciate it. PF has become "cool to see" today and has surpassed cult classic IMO, but it's still a niche film that debuted at Cannes. That's coming from a huge fan of the movie.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
pfo
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Wizard of Oz was the first thing I thought of. Is there some Chinese movie that everyone in the country has seen?

The Wizard of Beijing.
TXAG 05
AG
Aggie MHA said:

I'll say Pulp Fiction is over represented here compared to the general population. We're mostly males, on an entertainment board discussing movies. We fit the audience who would know of it and appreciate it. PF has become "cool to see" today and has surpassed cult classic IMO, but it's still a niche film that debuted at Cannes. That's coming from a huge fan of the movie.

I agree with this. PF is one of my favorite movies, but I know a ton of people who haven't seen it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And you're still friends with them?
JJxvi
AG
I would assume that this would be Wizard of Oz pretty easily.
JJxvi
AG
I dont get all the consternation over what 25 and under hasnt seen (especially regarding Wizard of Oz). There is no movie that i can think of that would fill up the 25 and under bracket that could possibly also do well in all the other generations groups. It will be either too new, or aimed at the young specifically. The most widely seen movie will be an older movie. Wizard of Oz out of all of the true classic movies, is also probably going to dominate the under 25 demo against other older films. Its a cultural touchstone that lots of kids, teenagers watch, so even if Oz is only going to get like only 30% or whatever maybe of under 25, but thats going to be a huge advantage over basically every other movie thats more than 30 years old, which probably have way lower under 25 viewership unless its made specifically for kids.
ORAggieFan
JJxvi said:

I dont get all the consternation over what 25 and under hasnt seen (especially regarding Wizard of Oz). There is no movie that i can think of that would fill up the 25 and under bracket that could possibly also do well in all the other generations groups. It will be either too new, or aimed at the young specifically. The most widely seen movie will be an older movie. Wizard of Oz out of all of the true classic movies, is also probably going to dominate the under 25 demo against other older films. Its a cultural touchstone that lots of kids, teenagers watch, so even if Oz is only going to get like only 30% or whatever maybe of under 25, but thats going to be a huge advantage over basically every other movie thats more than 30 years old, which probably have way lower under 25 viewership unless its made specifically for kids.

Star Wars and Home Alone would both destroy Oz for under 25.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Maybe. I think Home Alone, yes. But I don't think either are definitive. Under 25 is a broad age range. There are 18 year olds now that were born in the same year period as 9/11. I'm not sure how much of the Star Wars OT or Home Alone style stuff has been spread to that demographic.

Granted I do see Star Wars on tv now more than I remember just 10 years ago. But Wizard of Oz is the type of movie that I think they may even talk about or show in school.
JJxvi
AG
Is Home Alone really that popular under 25? Thats actually an old ****ing movie. 16 year olds have definitely seen a movie that came out 12 years before they were born (1990)? I am very skeptical. Home Alone might beat out Wizard of Oz in that age group we are talking about but it's an outlier. I'm 37 and in the wheelhouse for Home Alone, it came out when I was 10. Although I think most, if not all of my friends have seen it (older than 25), it certainly doesnt come up in conversation as any kind of cultural reference anymore, and it doesnt seem to be a movie that my friends are making sure to get on TV for their kids.
JJxvi
AG
ORAggieFan said:

JJxvi said:

Star Wars and Home Alone would both destroy Oz for under 25.
Star Wars skews young in a way that Wizard of Oz doesn't. Star Wars was not a universal cultural phenomenon until the 90's, IMO. Star Wars is probably growing all the time in terms of number of people who have seen it, but I bet it actually does more poorly than you'd think among older folks. I also bet Wizard of Oz beats Star Wars handily for women and girls of all ages.
Bruce Almighty
AG
JJxvi said:

Is Home Alone really that popular under 25? Thats actually an old ****ing movie. 16 year olds have definitely seen a movie that came out 12 years before they were born (1990)? I am very skeptical. Home Alone might beat out Wizard of Oz in that age group we are talking about but it's an outlier. I'm 37 and in the wheelhouse for Home Alone, it came out when I was 10. Although I think most, if not all of my friends have seen it (older than 25), it certainly doesnt come up in conversation as any kind of cultural reference anymore, and it doesnt seem to be a movie that my friends are making sure to get on TV for their kids.
The argument for Home Alone is that it is on dozens of times during the Holidays. Same goes for A Christmas Story. You almost have to go out of your way to not see it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I go out of my way to not see A Christmas Story. Such an overrated movie.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

If you think its overrated, that means you've seen it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea. One time, all the way through, just one year. Since then I've changed the channel through or past that more times than I can remember.
Farmer1906
AG
Up to 114 responses, but I can only see the first 100. To see more I have to pay so I guess this is about as final of a result as we are going to get.

96%
Jurassic Park
Forrest Gump
Wizard of Oz

95%
Lion King
Home Alone

94%
Toy Story

92%
Back to the Future

89%
Shawshank Redemption
Iron Man

88%
Star Wars (A New Hope)

87%
Pulp Fiction
Titanic

85%
Finding Nemo
ET

84%
Armageddon

82%
Cinderella

81%
Charlie Brown Christmas
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

78%
A Christmas Story

75%
A League of Their Own

74%
Avengers

71%

70%
Sound of Music
Frozen

68%
Sleeping Beauty

63%
It's a Wonderful Life

60%
Fantasia

57%
The 10 Commandments

48%
Gone With The Wind

12%
Debbie Does Dallas

JJxvi
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

JJxvi said:

The argument for Home Alone is that it is on dozens of times during the Holidays. Same goes for A Christmas Story. You almost have to go out of your way to not see it.
Christmas Story has a compelling argument (and I admittedly wasnt thinking Home Alone in that aspect), but I find it hard to even think about quantifying it (or a lot of these other Christmas ones). I didnt realize that Home Alone was a Christmas movie that people watched. I havent seen Home Alone in well over 25 years, but I see Christmas Story, Its a Wonderful Life, Elf, among others pretty much every year though.
Farmer1906
AG
I wish we would have added Elf to this list. I feel like everyone has seen that, young and old.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I didnt realize that Home Alone was a Christmas movie that people watched.
How do you not realize that?

JJxvi
AG
Elf is way too new, I think, to really have widespread saturation among middle age to older folks. Christmas Story has got to have been seen by more people, because I'm pretty sure its been in heavy Christmas rotation for a longer period, its way more widespread in popular culture in terms of conversation/references, and I would bet that its setting in 1940 probably also gives a boost among older folks that Elf wouldnt get.
JJxvi
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

I didnt realize that Home Alone was a Christmas movie that people watched.
How do you not realize that?

I am pretty sure I have not once watched Home Alone at Christmas time except probably when I was 9 years old watching it in the theatre.
Farmer1906
AG
Check the #s. Plenty of newer movies than Christmas Story have been seen by more.
expresswrittenconsent
Chipotlemonger said:

Go straight to the sequel. It is the Godfather II of Christmas movies.
JJxvi
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Check the #s. Plenty of newer movies than Christmas Story have been seen by more.
Mmmm, a sample of 100 texags users is hardly good data raw. I expect that you'd have to adjust all movies that are in a 25-45 age group "wheelhouse" down some, and anything thats more likely to be seen by women/girls than men/boys to be adjusted WAAAAAAY up from that poll (and vice versa). As far as Christmas shows, I'm in a a "who the hell knows" place, but Im certain that texags demographics are gonna skew that heavily as well.
expresswrittenconsent
Farmer1906 said:

What is the expected accuracy of a poll that includes 100 responses who are almost 100% college educated at a&m, white, male, aged 20-45 as a representation of the US population as a whole?
The Debt
I would say more people have seen A Christmas Story than Home Alone just based on the ready availability of ACS. Its on TBS for 24hrs every year for the last 10 years. You have to seek out Home Alone on a platform. Unless you own it on a DVD/Bluray you need to seek it out.
JJxvi
AG
Looking over that poll makes me even more convinced that Wizard of Oz is what I'd pick if some omniscient being put a gun to my head and said he'd shoot me if I didnt guess the right answer on this one.
JJxvi
AG
Oz needs to be adjusted down because a young age group that's not here hasn't seen it, but probably not by very much, because younger folks likely havent seen everything anyway (meaning almost every other movies also need to adjusted down, except movies specifically aimed at that generation, which arent on the list anyway because they won't do well elsewhere).

Oz needs to be adjusted up, for older people who arent on this website. Wizard of Oz is likely easily the #1 movie for people who are older than texags.com's demographics.

Almost every popular movie on the list needs to be adjusted down for texags being male centric. Wizard of Oz wouldnt though, along with probably most of the Christmas ones, and the Disney ones.
Farmer1906
AG
If there is any adjustment it is for the movies like Frozen, Lion King, Toy Story, etc. It should be adjusted up because there are more young people than old and starting at 1 they start watching stuff like that.
JJxvi
AG
Farmer1906 said:

If there is any adjustment it is for the movies like Frozen, Lion King, Toy Story, etc. It should be adjusted up because there are more young people than old and starting at 1 they start watching stuff like that.
Oh, if anything on that list does beat Oz, its definitely a culturally ubiquitous cartoon like Lion King over Jurassic Park, Forrest Gump, BTTF, Shawshank etc at the top of the poll list. Frozen I suspect is too new and thus at a disadvantage spreading to all generations (as an example, Lion King would have a huge advantage in a bracket that includes people over 20 without kids especially males). I think more people have seen Lion King.

Also, does it count if the person can't remember watching it?
Farmer1906
AG
JJxvi said:

Farmer1906 said:

Oh, if anything on that list does beat Oz, its definitely a culturally ubiquitous cartoon like Lion King over Jurassic Park, Forrect Gump, etc. Frozen is too new. I think more people have seen Lion King.

Maybe they don't absorb it and remember it like an adult, but a 1-year-old remembers who characters are and songs.
expresswrittenconsent
Farmer1906 said:

JJxvi said:

Farmer1906 said:

Oh, if anything on that list does beat Oz, its definitely a culturally ubiquitous cartoon like Lion King over Jurassic Park, Forrect Gump, etc. Frozen is too new. I think more people have seen Lion King.

Maybe they don't absorb it and remember it like an adult, but a 1-year-old remembers who characters are and songs.
i think his question was more of a "if i saw this when i was 12 but now i am 35 and dont remember a single thing, does that count" rather than an ask about what age babies/toddlers are able to form lasting memories.
JJxvi
AG
Yeah, it wasn't a response to the 1 year old thing, which even if you dont remember the time you watched Lion King when you were 2, you probably remember it the other 150-1000 times you watched it until you were 12...

An example for me is like Willow, I remember my parents taking me to see it in the theatre, and I know that Warwick Davis was in it at this point, but I dont remember a damned thing about that movie. Does it count for me as having seen it?

I'm also sure I watched several movies with my parents that were more for them, but werent bad enough for them to keep me from seeing with them when I was very young, that I wouldn't remember watching AT ALL. Of course that would seem not to count, but my parents might think I've seen it if they were asked, for example.
JJxvi
AG
I remember watching something that I liked as a teenager for the first time (Logan's Run, maybe????) that my Dad told me I had seen before.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Yeah, it wasn't a response to the 1 year old thing, which even if you dont remember the time you watched Lion King when you were 2, you probably remember it the other 150-1000 times you watched it until you were 12...
What about all the times after 12?
JSKolache
AG
Either Mary Poppins or Christmas Vacation

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.