What is the most widely seen movie of all time?

15,178 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure I am. My buddy was telling me the same thing...even for its missteps, just the absolute effort it must have taken to put that many stars on screen and make it all work was incredible and that I'd enjoy it just for appreciating that.

For whatever reason, I'm just not aching to go see it. However, if I do see it I'll definitely do it on the big screen and not wait for a year down the road.
schmendeler
AG
I imagine watching the latest avengers is similar to what watching the big reveal with darth vader and luke must have been like. I didn't really even like the first two avengers movie, but this latest one simply must be seen.
et98
AG
The answer is a movie that must appeal to many demographics or at least be a movie that many demographics would be willing to watch.

Demographics include:
Males
Females
Children
Teenagers
College Kids
Young Single Adults (20's)
Parents
Grandparents
Elderly
Christians
Athiests
Jews
Muslims
White
Black
Hispanic
Wealthy
Middle Class
Poor
Conservative
Liberal
and probably a dozen other classifications that I can't think of right now.

Comic book movies aren't even close and never will be.
I think Wizard of Oz is a great choice.
Star Wars is a good choice, but I don't know that it has the appeal to girls required to propel it over Wizard of Oz.
Any Disney movie that came out after the 1980s probably missed everyone who's already in their 40's when they were kids. If they don't watch it as parents, they never will. As an example, I'm 41 and have never seen a single Disney cartoon movie that came out after 1990 or so except for Toy Story and The Lion King, and I only saw the Lion King for extra credit when we were studying Hamlet in school.

I've also never seen any of the comic book movies other than the original Superman movies from the 70s & 80s because they just don't appeal to me. Probably half the men and nearly all women my age have the same opinion.

I think the correct answer to this question will be a movie that will appeal to most demographic categories listed above, and it will continue to do so for generations. Most Sci-Fi and movies that depend on special effects like the comic book movies are unlikely to do that.

Wizard of Oz gets my vote.
M.C. Swag
AG
How does Snow White not fit all of that criteria?
schmendeler
AG
M.C. Swag said:

How does Snow White not fit all of that criteria?

It goes in the vault; not on regular TV enough.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't think I've ever seen Snow White on tv.
_lefraud_
AG
You say a comic book movie will never fit enough demographics, yet you list Star Wars as a good choice?
oragator
Cheating yes, but IMDb has a page for this.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls053826112/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pleasantly surprised on ET.
Bruce Almighty
AG
oragator said:

There is no way IMDb can accurately make that list. If I only saw Titanic on tbs, there is no way for them to know.
The Debt
oragator said:

Cant be accurate! It doesn't have Home Alone.
Liquid Wrench
Not surprised Wizard of Oz is in the top 3. In the days of antenna TV, it was a semi-annual big deal when one of the networks aired it in primetime.
Farmer1906
AG
Fight club & Pulp fiction are no where near the top 20 most seen movies.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Two to consider that I haven't seen.

The 10 Commandments - clearly people in India and China ain't watch it, but it's on every Easter since I've been alive.

Superman - the first one, with Christopher Reeve, the first real superhero movie, and a spectacle at that and without the christian overtones of Man of Steel.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Was having a discussion with a friend, who asked if the MCU has overtaken Star Wars as a cultural phenomenon. (I say no, but that's another discussion.)

My question is - What do you think is currently the most widely-seen movie in the US?

By that I mean, counting all people in the US alive today (Not ALL of history, so no Gone With The Wind), what movie has been seen by the most people?

I would think it's still Star Wars? But, on the other hand, it's probably not seen by most people under the age of 20.

Any chance an MCU movie could claim that now? Maybe Titanic or Avatar?

Thoughts?
To answer the original question of the thread, I have no idea what MCU even stands for. I am guessing the MC is for marvel comics, but don't know what the U is for. I am 40 and thought I kept up with pop culture ok. Don't know what the correct answer to the question is, but it is not MCU.
Madmarttigan
AG
I actually think one of the original spiderman, dark knight or iron man would be the most seen comic book movies.

For most seen movie I think the people mentioning Christmas story or home alone are on to something.
Bluto06
AG
I've got an out-of-the-box suggestion. How about "a league of their own"? I feel like you would run up the score with all the women that watch it, but it is also a baseball movie, so most guys have also seen it at least once.
Bunk Moreland
Bluto06 said:

I've got an out-of-the-box suggestion. How about "a league of their own"? I feel like you would run up the score with all the women that watch it, but it is also a baseball movie, so most guys have also seen it at least once.

Wouldn't crack the top 200
Ragoo
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Debt said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Debt said:

For Christmas movies I would say Its a Wonderful Life and Christmas Story are both more seen than Home Alone.

Home Alone beats It's a Wonderful Life. Without question.

You really think more people have seen Home Alone than Its a Wonderful Life?
I don't think it's even close, really.

Home Alone came out in 1990 and was a huge box office success. That's 28 years ago.

Almost everyone born since then will have seen it at least once, since it's on TV from Thanksgiving to New Years.

I know this is anecdotal, but I don't think the same is true of It's a Wonderful Life. In my case, nobody in my direct family has seen it and it was never a tradition to watch it.
i watch home alone at least once every Xmas season, sometimes 2-3 times.
Ragoo
AG
if you have not seen the lion king you need to kindly omit yourself from all future posts and opinions on the entertainment board. The only people who can admit to not seeing it are single dudes over the age of 43. If you are a single dude over the age of 43, get off the internet, go see the lion king and you just might not be single much longer.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So I have seen all the Disney movies (et98 must not have kids) and most everything mentioned on this thread except

Home alone. I have never seen it. ( I am 42 it came out in high school for me) I think your premise about it being seen more that Its a Wonderful Life is wrong. You have to remember that before the cable craze in the 80's to 90s only the 3 regular stations existed. When movies came on there most everyone saw them. ( this is also why I think Wizard of Oz is probably the correct answer to this) I think "Its a Wonderful life" is more likely to have the baby boomers watch it and like it compared to other younger generations and they also do pass that down to their kids.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Home alone. I have never seen it.
Ragoo
AG
Do you have children? If yes, how can you not have seen Home Alone?

It is one of those movies you don't casually say I have never seen. If you have never seen it you have to be intentionally avoiding.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Thanks for listing out all the possible demographics there are. I haven't been outside in a few decades so it's hard to know exactly who's out there these days.
62strat
AG
Ragoo said:

if you have not seen the lion king you need to kindly omit yourself from all future posts and opinions on the entertainment board. The only people who can admit to not seeing it are single dudes over the age of 43. If you are a single dude over the age of 43, get off the internet, go see the lion king and you just might not be single much longer.
never seen it.

37, married with 2 kids.
Ragoo
AG
62strat said:

Ragoo said:

never seen it.

37, married with 2 kids.
someone didn't love 13 year old you and clearly don't love your own children.
Dr. Teeth
AG
Judging by how often I see them airing on the TNT network, it's either Shawshank Redemption or A League of Their Own.
Bunk Moreland
It finally fell off the radar, but from 2000-2010 I felt like Armageddon was on 3 times a week

And when it wasn't, Matrix Reloaded or a Lord of the Rings film would be.
Bruce Almighty
AG
In 50 years, the answer will probably be Shawshank Redemption.
Farmer1906
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I highly doubt that.
The Lost
Cord cutting is going to crush the TNT/TBS debate in future years. I used to throw those on but don't anymore since i don't have it.

To debunk the its a wonderful life not a tradition, we watched it every year growing up.

I have 0 desire to see any of the avengers stuff and i loved the dark knight and am under 30.

I think Lion King would be my answer.

I wonder how much staying power harry potter will have. It is definitely not currently the winner as i doubt it touches the older demographic enough, but it was always on that abc channel and is loved by those under 35 (no clue its age cut off)? It would be cool if hbo did a series of it, expanding deeper into sides stories than the movies did.
62strat
AG
Ragoo said:

62strat said:

Ragoo said:

never seen it.

37, married with 2 kids.
someone didn't love 13 year old you and clearly don't love your own children.
When Lion King came out, I was watching Beavis and Butthead and going to Metallica concerts hah.

Meanwhile my 17 year older brother probably saw some of those songs live by EJ himself at the then current face to face tour.

My kids are still only 3.5 and 2.5, so lots of time left to see many movies. But I've definitely seen more Disney movies in the last year than I have my whole life prior.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

It won't even be the most seen movie of 1994.

The Lion King
Forrest Gump
Pulp Fiction
Shawshank Redemption

In that order.
Dr.Rumack
Fletch.
Farmer1906
AG
Let's see what is the most seen movie on the Entertainment board. I went through the thread and added every movie listed.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XCCNGPX

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.