What is the most widely seen movie of all time?

15,053 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was having a discussion with a friend, who asked if the MCU has overtaken Star Wars as a cultural phenomenon. (I say no, but that's another discussion.)

My question is - What do you think is currently the most widely-seen movie in the US?

By that I mean, counting all people in the US alive today (Not ALL of history, so no Gone With The Wind), what movie has been seen by the most people?

I would think it's still Star Wars? But, on the other hand, it's probably not seen by most people under the age of 20.

Any chance an MCU movie could claim that now? Maybe Titanic or Avatar?

Thoughts?

Take the survey of movies you've seen here:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XCCNGPX
Bunk Moreland
Most viewed by # of people who have seen a movie once, or most viewings of a movie? And are you only including theater showings or watching it on any medium?

If we're going just be total people who have seen it minimum once, then maybe The Lion King or something like that? A children's movie knocks out 2 generations of people by default of parents having to drag their kids to the theater.

Then there's the question of DVD, reruns on TV, and now streaming so that may hurt a Disney movie.
The Debt
I would say Wizard of Oz.

You also have to realize age is not evenly distributed. While most people under 50 will see avengers films, I would bet Oz takes nearly everyone over 25.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Let's say one viewing, any medium.

Lion King is not a bad one. Gotta be in the top 10.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was precisely what made me lean towards Star Wars. (The original.)
The Shank Ag
With how often it is shown in schools while a substitute is there, Finding Nemo.

Other i thought of:

Star Wars
Toy Story
Frozen
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The Debt said:

Never seen it.

In all seriousness, I'd have to say the original Star Wars.
Bunk Moreland
GiveEmHellBill said:

The Debt said:

Never seen it.

In all seriousness, I'd have to say the original Star Wars.

There's a lot of people who have never seen the original Star Wars. I don't feel like it had the same cyclical impact like a Wizard or Oz or Lion King imo.

But I could be wrong.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Wizard of Oz was the first thing I thought of. Is there some Chinese movie that everyone in the country has seen?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, the under 20 generation is what makes this interesting.

I think Lion King or Avatar are probably the biggest competitors of the ones mentioned so far.
Ag_07
AG
Titanic
AggieOO
I've never seen lion king, other than bits and pieces. Didn't realize it was so widely viewed.
The Debt
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That was precisely what made me lean towards Star Wars. (The original.)

I would argue every adult that has seen star wars has seen wizard of oz
AggieOO
And of you want the most viewed movie, the winner is the vhs tape of star wars that I had growing up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wait for the new one. You'll see how culturally relevant it is. I bet it tops $1B easily.
The Collective
AG
Debbie Does Dallas.
The Collective
AG
The Shank Ag said:

With how often it is shown in schools while a substitute is there, Finding Nemo.

Oooh, let's name the zones, the zones, the zones. Let's name the zones of
the open sea: mesopolagic, bathyal, abyssalpelagic. All the rest are too
deep for you and me to see.
_lefraud_
AG
Lion King is a great choice, however how many people born since 2000 have seen it? I'm guessing almost anyone born between 1950-2000 has seen it.

I was kind of surprised of the audience when I watched Infinity War. Youngest was probably 4 (if you don't include the family that brought their baby), and the oldest was probably late 60s, or early 70s. I'd say most everyone born between 1978-2018 will see Infinity War sometime during their lifetime.
Farmer1906
AG
I feel like all kids run through the Disney library growing up even if it came out before they were born.
Duncan Idaho
If we are talking fiction, I will say the "moon landing"
John Matrix
AG
I think I read one time that the most viewed film in terms of people who actually saw it is actually Gone With the Wind. Adjusted for inflation, I believe it's the highest grossing movie of all time. In terms of modern films, I would probably say something like Toy Story. Just by osmosis parent viewing, I bet that movie has been seen a ton. The Lion King, as has been suggested by some on this thread, could be it as well.
Ag_07
AG
I think it's gotta be something that's on TV a bunch. This way it gets exposure to all age groups and there are multiple chances for people who haven't seen it yet to see it. So I was looking for a widely popular theatre release that is on TV a lot.

That was my thinking with suggesting Titanic. Maybe even something like Jurassic Park
The Collective
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

If we are talking fiction, I will say the "moon landing"

Don't ever change, Duncan.
schmendeler
AG
gotta be wizard of oz
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I feel like all kids run through the Disney library growing up even if it came out before they were born.
My daughter came into this world in 2006 and has seen every Disney movie that is available on DVD.

I think a case can be made for many divergent films.

I've never seen Gone With The Wind but that was a wildly popular movie for a long, long time. It was a world-wide thing (there is a shot in Empire of the Sun, set in Shanghai in 1941, where young Christian Bale walks by a building with a fading painting of GWTW's famous poster art). But as I said, I have never seen it. It's likely that the generations who loved that movie are largely gone now.

Star Wars is a great choice. My parents, born in '37 and '41, saw it, but I don't know if any of my grandparents ever saw that movie. Both of my kids have seen it many times.

The Lion King is another great choice. But I'd say the same of Disney princess classics like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Sleeping Beauty, and Cinderella. Probably would include The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast as well.

Avatar and Titanic? Sure, lots of people saw those, but I don't think they belong in the conversation.

So for me, I'd go with Star Wars for people in my age range (50). For folks like my dad, something like GWTW or King Kong. Younger kids would be a Disney movie, so I'll say The Lion King since that one seems to be considered Disney's best by a great number of people.
Farmer1906
AG
Quote:

I think a case can be made for many divergent films.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think some of y'all are thinking with your American blinders on. Nobody in China saw Star Wars because it wasn't available, so whatever the most widely seen movie is, it's gotta be something that people in China and India had access to.
jeffk
AG
Can we count the two Willy Wonka movies together?
expresswrittenconsent
Bruce Almighty said:

I think some of y'all are thinking with your American blinders on. Nobody in China saw Star Wars because it wasn't available, so whatever the most widely seen movie is, it's gotta be something that people in China and India had access to.

You might want to read the OP again.
Farmer1906
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Quote:

What do you think is currently the most widely-seen movie in the US?
Bruce Almighty
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Bruce Almighty said:

You might want to read the OP again.

Overlooked the US part
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Avatar and Titanic? Sure, lots of people saw those, but I don't think they belong in the conversation.
The #5 movie of all time adjusted (Titanic) doesn't belong in the conversation?

Where do we think Sound of Music (#3) and ET (#4) stand?

I've never seen SoM and feel like many under 30 have not either. ET, I've seen countless times and is one of my favorite movies of all time, but I feel like most people under 20 or so haven't seen it.

#1 GotW has been "phased out" by Star Wars (#2) and other modern movies by now.
expresswrittenconsent
_lefraud_ said:

I'd say most everyone born between 1978-2018 will see Infinity War sometime during their lifetime.

That is crazy. Do you really believe this or are you just intentionally exaggerating for effect? I would doubt that 10yrs from now even half of all Americans born btwn 78-18 will have seen this film. This is bubble gum puff piece fluff. They make a dozen plus films per year just like it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And for comparison, Lion King is at #19 on the adjusted list, but has the advantage of being a Disney movie that most kids today still watch.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

I had forgotten about Jurassic Park. (#17.)

Currently it's gotta be in the top 10 most watched, no?
62strat
AG
The 1927 film Napolon was shot with an aspect ratio of 4.00:1.

I think that's the widest movie any one has ever seen.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.