anyone here listen to Tyler Childers?

12,243 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ElephantRider
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
for those unfamiliar..he is Sturgill's "protege" if you will. His most recent album, Purgatory, was produced by Sturgill.

I didnt start listening to him until about 9 months ago but in that short period of time he is honestly in my top 3 favorite artists I have ever listened to. Really big fan.

a couple songs if you want to try him on for size:

His most mainstream song(one your girlfriend/wife will like too): Feathered Indians

a couple of my favorites: Universal Sound, Lady May, Whitehouse Road, Charleston Girl..

I hate to only list a couple of his songs. I genuinely like them all. kind of how I am with Sturgill.

side note: I drove to San Antonio to watch him play at Floore's last week, and I have never heard someone sound so identical in person as they sound on their album.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
He's awesome.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I discovered him not that long ago and love him. Good to hear that he sounds the same in person.

Also big on The Honeycutters, Cody Jinks, and Colter Wall these days.
gigemJTH12
AG
havent heard the Honeycutters. Any song rec to get started?
FL_Ag1998
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

havent heard the Honeycutters. Any song rec to get started?

Man, I seriously love everything I hear from them. They have such a natural, polished sound. Try these....

Also, for those unfamiliar with Colter Wall....

Such an unusual voice coming out of a guy that's only 22 years old.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
One of my good buddies was at the show at Floores. He posted it to his Snapchat. I just started listening to him about 3 weeks ago and recognized him immediately. He's really good.

Plus one for Colter Wall as well. Good call.
Nagler
AG
One of my favorite albums. No idea how many times I've listen to it but it's a lot.
gigemJTH12
AG
thanks man
gigemJTH12
AG
Nagler said:

One of my favorite albums. No idea how many times I've listen to it but it's a lot.
I have no idea on my number either but my wife would tell you its too much
Nagler
AG
Yes sir, I get a lot of "can we listen to anything else?" That's when I hit her with some Turnpike.
TresPuertas
AG
I picked up Purgatory the day it came out and I've been listening to it pretty consistently since. On Spotify he's got some older acoustic stuff on Red Barn Radio which is also really great. Being so new, his catalog is pretty limited but I haven't really found much I dislike. He's the real deal.

I'm going to go see him in July in Dallas and couldn't be more excited.
The Shank Ag
Just heard "Nose on the Grindstone" and really dig his voice.

AgLaw
AG
Had a buddy recommend Tyler Childers a couple of months ago. Been listening ever since. Great young talent.
Ag 11
AG
He's playing at White Oak in Houston on July 20
plowboy1065
S
Been listening to Tyler right before Purgatory came out. Honestly can't remember where I first heard his stuff but it was the Red Barn acoustic. Glad to see he's taking off
gigemJTH12
AG
concert this Friday at White Oak in Houston...anyone going?
Old School Brother
Going to the show at canton hall in Dallas on Wed night. My 2 year old daughter's favorite song is Lady May. She can sing the whole song.
gigemJTH12
AG
thats awesome! let me know how it goes man!
Leggo My Elko
AG
Jealous of those getting to see him, I can't make any of his Texas shows this week. Hopefully, he comes back soon.

He has such a talent for writing clever lines, here are a few that stick out to me:

Banded Clovis: "Cause you can't hold a girl with a fistful of shovel."

Lady May: "Now I ain't the toughest hickory That your ax has ever felled But I'm a hickory just as well"

Universal Sound: "Ain't got bars, nor the charge to call her anyways"
Old School Brother
he's playing at The Rustic in Dallas in December. I have tickets to that show too, not sure if it's sold out yet.

Guess I should make it clear, I'm not taking my 2 year old to a show at a bar....not that I'd frown upon that. I don't know if I could even get her in. Would be cool if she could go, she loves Tyler Childers. I randomly played Lady May for her one day when she was probably 18 months old and she's been in love ever since. she asks to hear it multiple times a day. "Lady May, daddy!!"

She's also a big fan of Feathered Indians.
gigemJTH12
AG
TexjbA&M said:

Jealous of those getting to see him, I can't make any of his Texas shows this week. Hopefully, he comes back soon.

He has such a talent for writing clever lines, here are a few that stick out to me:

Banded Clovis: "Cause you can't hold a girl with a fistful of shovel."

Lady May: "Now I ain't the toughest hickory That your ax has ever felled But I'm a hickory just as well"

Universal Sound: "Ain't got bars, nor the charge to call her anyways"
on Lady May

"Ive seen my share of trouble. And I've held my weight in shame. But I'm baptized in your name.."
AgHawkeye
AG
Tyler is great. Caught a couple of his shows for SXSW. If you like that type of music check out the lineup for Mile 0 Festival in Key West next January.
gigemJTH12
AG
AgHawkeye said:

Tyler is great. Caught a couple of his shows for SXSW. If you like that type of music check out the lineup for Mile 0 Festival in Key West next January.
dude...I saw that lineup...ridiculous
goadius6
AG
if anyone has an extra ticket they need to sell to the show in Dallas at Canton Hall this week i'd buy it from you!
goad.bryan @ gmail . com
clobby
AG
This is my favorite of his.

gigemJTH12
AG
Incredible song. They just put the Red Barn Radio version on iTunes. So good
clobby
AG
Tickets are available for Dec 16 show at The Rustic for 22 bucks. I went ahead and picked up 2 since this last show sold out so fast.
Old School Brother
good show last night. The Wooks were a fun opener, good bluegrass music. they have a guy who can absolutely shred on the mandolin.
Tyler sounded as good, as expected. his band is good, but they seem like they're still getting used to playing together. there was a lot of looking at each other to see what was gonna happen next and some awkward endings to songs. i'm sure they'll continue to get more comfortable together as they tour more.
gigemJTH12
AG
first time seeing him?

did you notice he sang some songs that you may have never heard before? its weird how he plays songs that arent on his Itunes.

Bus route in particular.
Old School Brother
yeah, first time seeing him live. there were 2 or 3 songs i didn't recognize, but i had heard most of them through watching youtube videos and such. wish he would've played rock salt and nails or oneida, but he played most of what i was hoping to hear.
gigemJTH12
AG
good stuff. and songs you can point out in particular would be great so I can brush up the next couple days!
Diggity
AG
he definitely came a long way from his first album to the second.
PFG
AG
Just saw Tyler at Floor's Country Store in Helotes

A couple notes:

1) His opener - The Wooks - were incredible. I don't know who the long haired, tie-dye shirt wearing mandolin player is, but that man was getting it. What a great group of musicians.

2) Tyler was also incredible. Walked out with no sponsor intro, no flashing lights, no smoke machine. Just stood up there and captivated the crowd. I was told that he was initially set to play indoors (small stage, small crowd), but the tickets sold out super fast. So they put on the big stage outside, and he packed the house.

3) There was more weed being smoked at this concert than any concert I've ever been to. If you weren't smoking it, you at the very least got a second hand high.

He opened with Feathered Indians, and thats all it took to stop anyone from leaving the crowd for more beer. He was awesome.
gigemJTH12
AG
my only complaint with the show was that he played about 40% songs that are not on any of his albums. I dont get the point of that.

he is incredible live though. his voice is amazing.
Leggo My Elko
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

my only complaint with the show was that he played about 40% songs that are not on any of his albums. I don't get the point of that.

he is incredible live though. his voice is amazing.
To be fair, what he's actually released on albums is pretty limited. If he played all ten songs on Purgatory and then a handful for the better songs on the other releases (that aren't also on Purgatory), You only get to 14-15 songs, which would be a pretty short setlist.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.