anyone here listen to Tyler Childers?

12,324 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ElephantRider
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
no I get it for sure...but He should put out a live album or something of songs he frequently plays at concerts. Also he doesnt play much from Bottles and Bibles at all..if any honestly.

I dont mind hearing new songs at concerts but it was nearly half the songs.
Leggo My Elko
AG
I think he's saving releasing them for his next album. As a side note, he released Bottle & Bibles in 2011, meaning he wrote those songs when he was 21 or younger which is mind-boggling. He's only 27 now, he's just now entering his songwriting prime.
gigemJTH12
AG
yeah I always have the same thought about B&B. a lot of the songwriting there is just ridiculously good and thinking about how old he was is kind of insane.
bearamedic99
AG
Nagler said:

Yes sir, I get a lot of "can we listen to anything else?" That's when I hit her with some Turnpike.

I've never tried the Troubadors. Which album should I start with?
TXAG 05
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Nagler said:

Yes sir, I get a lot of "can we listen to anything else?" That's when I hit her with some Turnpike.

I've never tried the Troubadors. Which album should I start with?

Start with Diamonds and Gasoline and go from there.
gigemJTH12
AG
I hate that I dont like Trunpike more than I do. All my friends love them. Their sound just doesnt do it for me for whatever reason. I wish it did.
TXAG 05
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I hate that I dont like Trunpike more than I do. All my friends love them. Their sound just doesnt do it for me for whatever reason. I wish it did.

I didn't like their latest album. Not that it was bad, it was just boring. No standout songs. I've listened to it all the way through probably 10 times and I can't tell you the name of a single song or how one goes.
Leggo My Elko
AG
I like Turnpike's sound, but I find all their lyrics to be pretty bland and often crossing over into cheesy
AgHawkeye
AG
TexjbA&M said:

I like Turnpike's sound, but I find all their lyrics to be pretty bland and often crossing over into cheesy

I get it but
'I had no clue, I'd be the boy who, your momma warned you about." Is awesome.
blinnboy83
The Wooks cover of Front Porch Song at Floores ruled so hard. I thought it took balls to play your biggest hit first, and then play a bunch of songs people didn't know, but he played for over 2 hours so... wen't home and made a playlist of all the live unreleased stuff on YouTube . Next album will be great.
hurleyag
AG
TexjbA&M said:

I think he's saving releasing them for his next album. As a side note, he released Bottle & Bibles in 2011, meaning he wrote those songs when he was 21 or younger which is mind-boggling. He's only 27 now, he's just now entering his songwriting prime.
Please don't let him join the 27 club...
PFG
AG
Hell yes.

"Tyler Childers, Tyler Childers, come help me for a minute!"

That cover was all the blue stars. That and Atlantic City
Ag 11
AG
Turnpike at White Oak on Friday. I'll be there.
swimmerbabe11
gigemJTH12 said:

Same but every one of their songs feels the same to me.
PDWT_12
AG
Just dropping by to say that thanks to me discovering Tyler from this thread a couple months back, my wife played Little Feathered Indian 3 times in a row in the car the other day. Wasn't really even mad about it.

Oh... and the Turnpike slander can stop right here, right now. I won't stand for it.
hurleyag
AG
Tickets for his show at Gruene just went on sale
gigemJTH12
AG
hurleyag said:

Tickets for his show at Gruene just went on sale
wow. had no idea. thanks so much. 20 bucks is a STEAL!
CrawfordAg
AG
Thanks Hurley, just bought 6 tickets.
PFG
AG
I think we paid $15 for the Floors show. But yeah $20 isn't bad.
Nagler
AG
Quote:

Start with Diamonds and Gasoline and go from there.

This was the correct answer.

gigemJTH12
AG
I went to Floors show in April. Was amazing.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Just bought my tickets for Gruene Hall.

As a side note, don't know how many Jenny Lewis fans there are around here. She's gonna be at Gruene Hall on 9/20, saw her on a whim one time and have been a huge fan ever since, absolutely incredible live performer.
Diggity
AG
Rilo Kiley singer?

Haven't heard from her in a while. Great voice.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Diggity said:

Rilo Kiley singer?

Haven't heard from her in a while. Great voice.
Yep, she has a couple Albums under just her name that are just as good as the Rilo Kiley stuff. She does all the Rilo Kiley hits and her stuff in concert. She wrote most of the Rilo Kiley's songs.
Neches21
Tyler Childers is great.
"Rock Salt and Nails" is my favorite song.
Leggo My Elko
AG

Here's one of the songs he's playing that appears on no official recording, just a few videos from the crowd on youtube. SO GOOD. Assuming he nails the recording when he releases it. It will become one of those first dance at weddings type songs.

LawHall88
AG
Childers appeared with John Prine for an episode of Austin City Limits that airs the week of October 13th:

Quote:

Eventually, he dismissed the band for a solo section highlighted by a singalong of red-eyed anthem "Illegal Smile," then welcomed an unexpected guest: burgeoning Americana singer-songwriter Tyler Childers, who hails from Prine's spiritual homeland of Kentucky. The 26-year-old joined his mentor for the classic last will and testament "Please Don't Bury Me," then played his own "Lady May." Even with one of the planet's greatest living songwriters standing nearby in Prine, Childers' craft and delivery impressed.
https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2018-06-06/john-prine-gets-to-heaven/
Redstone
AG
Amusing how many are now jumping on the bandwagon.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Redstone said:

It's a good bandwagon to jump on.

Pretty great acceptance speech at the Americana Music Awards. Tylers got some F U in him.

https://www.facebook.com/rhonda.williams.186/videos/2604244416256024/?t=188
gigemJTH12
AG
did you see they opened up and Wednesday show and that one sold out too??

Grune Hall doesn't have another sold out show on the whole calendar. And Childers has two in the middle of the week in December.
Old School Brother
TexjbA&M said:

Redstone said:

It's a good bandwagon to jump on.

Pretty great acceptance speech at the Americana Music Awards. Tylers got some F U in him.

https://www.facebook.com/rhonda.williams.186/videos/2604244416256024/?t=188
nice colonel sanders suit!

can't wait to see tyler again in december.
hurleyag
AG
I did not see that. I'm glad I got in on the tickets early!
Leggo My Elko
AG
Some tickets on Stubhub for the Gruene Hall shows are list at $185.

Every single show for this years tour is and has been sold out.
rilloaggie
AG
Wife and I are going to see him in 357 days in the Dominican Republic! This is a very unhumble brag! Also seeing Jason Isbell, Amanda Shires, Nathaniel Rateliff, Kacey Musgraves, Ruston Kelly, and some other acts...oh, and JOHN PRINE!

If you feel like going let me know, I believe I can give you a referral that is worth $100 to each of us! Link to festival is below.

www.allthebestfest.com/

AgHawkeye
AG
That will be a lot of fun. Saw John recently in Mexico and he sounded really good. I'm sure he will play quite a bit with Iris and that festival. They sound so good together. Have fun.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.