***The Expanse (Season 3, SyFy)***

14,054 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Saxsoon
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't see another thread on this. The Expanse is back on Wednesday and is, to me, neck and neck with Westworld for the best SciFi show currently going.

Anyone else on the wagon? I started reading the books recently, but I'm only about halfway through the first one.
israeliag
AG
bobinator said:

Anyone else on the wagon?
Looking forward to it!
V8Aggie
AG
Love it. Though I can't stand the smokey woman's voice.. jeez it's soooo bad.
israeliag
AG
V8Aggie said:

Ruins every scene and pulls me right out of the show. And her character (I haven't read the books) seems like a terrific character that should possibly be the best on the show, but just crippled because of the actress. And then I also feel bad because I feel like I'm watching someone die of lung/throat cancer right in front of my eyes.
Sex Panther
AG
Love it... one of my favorite current shows. Wasn't aware it was already almost back.
bobinator
AG
Her voice doesn't bother me I guess. I think she's pretty good.
TMoney2007
AG
I forgot where they left off... I'm caught up on the books so I'm curious where they're going to go.
NColoradoAG
Definitely one of the best shows out there for me. Currently reading Nemesis Games.

A lot goes on after where they left off in Calibans War. Should be some pretty awesome battles in this season.

I hope this show continues to gain momentum and following because Abaddons Gate and Cibola Burn are better, IMO, than the first two books. based on some info I've read this season may move into Abaddons Gate material because they seem to have cast Monica, Pastor Anna, Clarissa, and Bull

I agree that the woman playing Avasarala is not great. She does a decent job of playing the part, but the voice is offputting.

I'm willing to overlook that because I love all the characters of the Rocinante crew. Amos may be one of my favorite characters in any sci fi book/series. Avasarala is also hardly in Abaddons Gate or Cibola Burn so it'll be interesting to see how she is handled toward the end of this season.
NColoradoAG
TMoney2007 said:

I forgot where they left off... I'm caught up on the books so I'm curious where they're going to go.
They jumped around a bit from the storyline in Calibans War, but they basically got halfway through the book.
Hagen95
AG
I love these books. Is the series available to catch up somewhere?
bobinator
AG
Are those book spoilers or show spoilers, because that could be confusing.
bobinator
AG
Hagen95 said:

Seasons 1 and 2 are available on Amazon Prime Video.
NColoradoAG
Hagen95 said:

Season 1 and 2 are both available on Prime. I would assume you can also stream them through the SyFy app.
WoMD
israeliag said:

V8Aggie said:

Ruins every scene and pulls me right out of the show. And her character (I haven't read the books) seems like a terrific character that should possibly be the best on the show, but just crippled because of the actress. And then I also feel bad because I feel like I'm watching someone die of lung/throat cancer right in front of my eyes.

Her casting choice was easily the biggest miss of the show. Her character in the books is my favorite and the way they've handled her in the show has been a disappointment.
gomerschlep
AG
I'm down. Finally some good TV coming back....
swimmerbabe11
I'm trying to catch up. ive watched the first 4 eps. hurrying!
MGS
NColoradoAG said:

I'm willing to overlook that because I love all the characters of the Rocinante crew. Amos may be one of my favorite characters in any sci fi book/series. Avasarala is also hardly in Abaddons Gate or Cibola Burn so it'll be interesting to see how she is handled toward the end of this season.
Well, she wasn't in Levithan Wakes at all, but was still a major character in the first season. She'll probably continue to be a major character in the show
bobinator
AG
Can y'all include if these are show spoilers (in which case I'd read them) or book spoilers (in which case I won't)
MGS
All of the spoilers so far are about how the show compares to the books, so you should probably avoid them.
NColoradoAG
MGS said:

NColoradoAG said:

Well, she wasn't in Levithan Wakes at all, but was still a major character in the first season. She'll probably continue to be a major character in the show
Good point.
Rocagnante
AG
Best sci fi show on television right now imo.
rynning
AG
I really like the actress who plays Avasarala, at least in the first season. I think she's great playing the older tough lady role, but I agree she sometimes looks a little confused when her lines contain too much technobabble.

She has an interesting story growing up in Iran before moving during the revolution, and she seems to be getting more "mature" roles now, including a similar role in Star Trek Beyond.
Vader 2020
israeliag said:

V8Aggie said:

I think it would have been fine if she was an unknown playing her first big role. But she has been in everything from major movies to major TV shows (24) to major video games (Mass Effect). Her voice is too recognizable at this point to be believable to anybody.
titanmaster_race
I must be in the minority because I think she plays Avasarala pretty well, and the voice doesn't bother me.
Sex Panther
AG
The voice is just brutal
Saxsoon
AG
I love her voice
Rocagnante
AG
She plays the part well. No issue with voice. It fits her character's saltiness.
jabberwalkie09
AG
WoMD said:

israeliag said:

V8Aggie said:

Her casting choice was easily the biggest miss of the show. Her character in the books is my favorite and the way they've handled her in the show has been a disappointment.

A bigger miscast than Frankie Adams as Bobby Draper?
V8Aggie
AG
bobinator said:

Her voice doesn't bother me I guess. I think she's pretty good.
Her character and acting are great! I just keep waiting for her to cough up a lung. It's distracting, but not enough to ruin it for me.

We need more Sci-Fi shows!!
PDWT_12
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

WoMD said:

israeliag said:

V8Aggie said:

This. Adams got better and grew on me through Season 2, but she is far and away the most miscast character on the show. However, I also knew they weren't going to be able to find a 6'5 Polynesian woman to play Bobby anyway so for me it was easy to move past.

Also put me in the camp that thinks Shohreh's portrayal of Avasarala is exactly what I pictured when reading the books. She nails it for me.
WoMD
jabberwalkie09 said:

Hmm good point. Definitely not a great choice, but bad ass large women actresses can be tough to come by I guess. She seems too soft for the role, missing the bad ass part. I always pictured a brienne of tarth type for her role so part of the problem lies in my own predetermined mental image.
bobinator
AG
Draper wasn't so much a mis-cast to me in the sense that the person doesn't fit the character, because I think in that sense she's pretty good, but I just think the actress kind of sucks. She's the one character that any time they're talking I wish I could fast-forward it.

Everyone else I really like though.

Pretty hyped for tonight.
GCRanger
AG
Binged season 2 in the last week. This show is fantastic.
snowdog90
Thanks OP, awesome news. Love this show.
titanmaster_race
I'm not sure how much of it is acting and much is the show writing. But she definitely came off as a cookie cutter stereotype of an over-the-top grunt, and even a bit whiny too. Towards the end of the season she finally started acting more like book Bobby and became bearable.

Physically, I think the casting is spot on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.