***The Expanse (Season 3, SyFy)***

14,031 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Saxsoon
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Man, this show just ****ING delivers.
jabberwalkie09
AG
That was pretty great. Glad Amazon picked this up.
israeliag
AG
Amen. What a great season finale. It really managed to ratchet the tension up in such a fitting way for a season finale.

And wow, there have literally been so many doors opened for where to take the story onward. So glad we get to see what happens next and how the show pivots.

About the last scene: So that blue thing that went into Holden as they passed the event horizon was Thomas Jane downloading into him, right?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I don't know, and I have the same question. I was thinking more so the protomolecule on the Roci but I had the same thought.
NColoradoAG
israeliag said:

Amen. What a great season finale. It really managed to ratchet the tension up in such a fitting way for a season finale.

And wow, there have literally been so many doors opened for where to take the story onward. So glad we get to see what happens next and how the show pivots.

About the last scene: So that blue thing that went into Holden as they passed the event horizon was Thomas Jane downloading into him, right?
I hope they don't pivot much. I'm in the minority, but Cibola Burn is one of my favorite books in the series.
MGS
Quote:

Book Spoiler: It's something else
israeliag
AG
I agree, so maybe pivot isn't the right word. But, to see how we explore these new frontiers is going to be incredible in the setting and tone of this show. I think the Holden monologue even said it - we're still going to be bringing our human problems along with us. Basically - the Expanse goes Star Treking (minus the utopian, post-scarcity, future... and also no aliens?).
jabberwalkie09
AG
israeliag said:

I agree, so maybe pivot isn't the right word. But, to see how we explore these new frontiers is going to be incredible in the setting and tone of this show. I think the Holden monologue even said it - we're still going to be bringing our human problems along with us. Basically - the Expanse goes Star Treking (minus the utopian, post-scarcity, future... and also no aliens?).

Perhaps the better way to say it is some side stories for character development that expands The Expanse's universe that we've seen so far. I personally would like to see more of Mars.

We've seen a good bit regarding the UN and the political and work structure for Earth but hardly anything for Mars outside of the embassy on Earth.
Dro07
AG
nice way to finish the season! So glad that they got renewed but I am wondering when amazon starts this back up.

Great thing about amazon is that we will be able to binge this show instead of waiting week to week downside is that these type of threads will not be as populated with comments week to week.
israeliag
AG
The writers are at work right now, but I think they need to hire a couple more writers to replace those that had found other work in the interim. Don't know when filming will start, but they mentioned on one of the episodes of The Churn podcast that the crew started tearing down sets before getting word that Amazon was picking it up, so they'll have to undo-undoing them (assuming they would reuse the Roci, Behemoth, and UN ships at least).
bobinator
AG
Just finished the season, holy **** that was awesome
DVC2010
AG
I finished the season last night. I'm really impressed at how well they condensed Abaddon's Gate into half a season. I only noticed a couple of major victims of the season's pace.

TV show spoiler: Clarissa's parts moved really fast. You never really get the impression that she murders her only real friend in the world, and it's easy to forget that she is pretty much single-handedly behind the whole disaster in the Slow Zone.

Spoiler from Nemisis Games: Michio Pa is going to matter later, unless they just use Ashford in her place.

Did anyone else think the scene at the end of the finale was a missed opportunity? In the book,: Holden and "Miller" have a conversation about the implications to shutting down the station and opening the rings instead of Holden simply accusing Miller of using him for his own ends. As good as Thomas Jane has been, I would have liked to have seen that on screen.
Rocagnante
AG
Have been off the grid for past week....just now able to watch last two episodes. Awesome finish to the season! So glad Amazon picked up this show.

Read book 7 Persepolis Rising while on the trip. Enjoyed it more than some of the other middle books. Writers have said there will be 9 books total. Can't wait for 8 and 9! (Side note: They already know what the last line of the last book will be).
BenFiasco14
AG
Fogburn95 said:

Have been off the grid for past week....just now able to watch last two episodes. Awesome finish to the season! So glad Amazon picked up this show.

Read book 7 Persepolis Rising while on the trip. Enjoyed it more than some of the other middle books. Writers have said there will be 9 books total. Can't wait for 8 and 9! (Side note: They already know what the last line of the last book will be).

I haven't read the books so I'll take some guesses

"Doors and corners"

"You can't have the Razorback"
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
NColoradoAG
BenFiasco14 said:

Fogburn95 said:

"Doors and corners"

Doors and corners seems the obvious guess, but I'll go with something along the lines of "that's the best cup of coffee I've ever tasted"
bobinator
AG
I'm trying to pick up the pace reading wise, about halfway through Book 2.
BenFiasco14
AG
"That was the strangest dream I've ever had...." Ned Stark mutters as he rises from bed. Today was to be a big day. King Robert Baratheon was coming to Winterfell.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
NColoradoAG
bobinator said:

I'm trying to pick up the pace reading wise, about halfway through Book 2.
The first two books are the worst in the series. You wont be able to put down 3-6
MGS
NColoradoAG said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Fogburn95 said:

"Doors and corners"

Doors and corners seems the obvious guess, but I'll go with something along the lines of "that's the best cup of coffee I've ever tasted"
"Looking back, I guess I really should have ignored that distress signal."
bobinator
AG
I'm through book 3 and holy ****. Started book 4 last night and didn't want to go to bed.
Dro07
AG
Books are good huh? 3rd and 4th are my fav so far. Just finished up 5 and I thought the pacing was a little dif. Good in its own right but dif. I'll prob start book 6 after I finish up the first Dresden Files book.
bobinator
AG
It's weird going from reading the first three books where in your head you still kind of picture the characters and sets from the show into the fourth book where there's new characters and locations not on the show so you have to kind of fill them in in your mind.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Love the books but missed this most recent season. will need to go back and re-watch.

as much as i loved the books, it did take me a bit to get into book 7 with the time jump. i eventually got into a groove with it and thoroughly enjoyed it, but the 30 yr jump really took me out of it for a bit. i am sure books 8 and 9 will have more cohesion and will be a solid finish to the series.
redline248
AG
I had no idea about this show until about 2 weeks ago. Binged all 3 seasons in the last 5 days. Really, really good.

I see that the 3rd season ended in like August? So what's the time table for season 4 to drop?
Dro07
AG
no one knows now that Amazon picked it up.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Supposed to be later this year, but no specific date has been given. They just finished filming the season a month or so ago, so unless they go weekly release it's going to be a bit until season 4 comes around.
Prime0882
AG
FYI to those reading the books - Book 8 comes out next week, March 26th.

Looks like the authors have released a book roughly every one year, so here's to hoping the last book comes out next year!
DVC2010
AG
JRC0811 said:

FYI to those reading the books - Book 8 comes out next week, March 26th.

Looks like the authors have released a book roughly every one year, so here's to hoping the last book comes out next year!

I logged in to Audible to pre-order about a month ago. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had already ordered it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just finished Nemesis Games. Really loved how they fleshed out each of the core characters, and how it sets up the future of the series with it.
13B
Finished Tiamat's Wrath (Book 8 of Expanse series), it has been awhile since I read all the rest but found this one the best of all so far. Sure would like to see the show revived.
jabberwalkie09
AG
13B said:

Finished Tiamat's Wrath (Book 8 of Expanse series), it has been awhile since I read all the rest but found this one the best of all so far. Sure would like to see the show revived.

Amazon picked it up after Syfy cancelled it. Should be back lasted this year.
Saxsoon
AG
Tiamat's Wrath was phenomenal. So damn good. The whole Laconian Empire shift in the series was great.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.