Man of Steel showing on FX (FOX)

6,805 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brick Tamland
3 William 56
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dds08 said:

Halfway through the movie I'm thinking to myself, "why don't the humans go and get some kryptonium and put and end to these Invaders."

Bullets, guns, and knives are futile against them. Perhaps kryptonium laced bullets.

The amount of havoc they wrecked is completely unacceptable. Skycrapers falling down, buildings collapsing, million dollar aircraft ripped to shreds; not to mention all the human loss of life just from their fights.

Oh well, its a movie. What can one expect?
Had to be done as that was the setup for the masterpiece Batman vs Superman...and I don't want to live in a world where we don't have that.
bearamedic99
AG
i guess I'm in the minority but i actually appreciated the amount of damage done by a superhero battle. Made it more realistic to me.
rhutton125
AG
Quote:

Had to be done as that was the setup for the masterpiece Batman vs Superman...

Backwards - BvS used the criticism from MoS and made it into a plot point to address it. One of the (few?) good ideas from that film.
TexasAggie_02
AG
3 William 56 said:

dds08 said:

Halfway through the movie I'm thinking to myself, "why don't the humans go and get some kryptonium and put and end to these Invaders."

Bullets, guns, and knives are futile against them. Perhaps kryptonium laced bullets.

The amount of havoc they wrecked is completely unacceptable. Skycrapers falling down, buildings collapsing, million dollar aircraft ripped to shreds; not to mention all the human loss of life just from their fights.

Oh well, its a movie. What can one expect?
Had to be done as that was the setup for the masterpiece Batman vs Superman...and I don't want to live in a world where we don't have that.

Both of those movies are trash
dds08
AG
Sorry everyone. My mistake. It's Kryptonite.

I really didn't like to see Superman being thrashed and thrown around by some chick. I mean, is this for real?

What I cannot understand is, why hadn't Superman noticed halfway through the skirmishes that, it was the masks/helmets (that his adversaries were wearing) that was the key to defeating them.

What a real let down it was when it seemed Superman would finally get the upper hand, his adversaries were magically rescued in their time of need by that annoying spacecraft of theirs.

At the ending scene when the main antagonist was laser eyeing that crowd, I'm wondering to myself, "why didn't they try to move out of the way, perhaps they were in a panic (frozen)."

No freeze breath is seen/utilized the entire movie nor is x-ray vision. I wanna see the entire gamut of Superman's abilities be utilized, else I'm shortchanged in a way. Why couldn't Superman use these abilities against his foes?

So many questions.

LOL at Laurence Fishburne getting so much camera time. One scene, he just looks at the trapped woman under all the rubble like "I'm sorry, but you're effed!"
Brick Tamland
Freeze breath and X-ray are used in Justice League. Superman didn't know the full strength of his abilities at that point. I'm with you on the energy mask things: he flat out tells Zod how to deal with the disorientation.

This movie though was better than it's being given credit for, in my opinion. I feel like Snyder was playing the long game because there was supposed to be a Man of Steel 2 but that turned into BvS. I don't agree with his decision to slow things down so much. Had he shown the same movie with a few scenes cut out, but at the pace and tone of, say, Wonder Woman, I think it would have been received better by critics and the audience.

That's just, like, my opinion, man. I'm not a movie aficionado by any stretch of the imagination, just a fan of the DCEU movies.
Phat32
AG
I didn't hate it. Had some moments but the fight at the end was stupid. Yes we get they're invulnerable.
TexasAggie_02
AG
rasher said:

I didn't hate it. Had some moments but the fight at the end was stupid. Yes we get they're invulnerable.

It reminded me of the chicken fights from family guy, they just beat the sh** out of each other for ever and ever.
FL_Ag1998
AG
The biggest problem story-wise was trying to cram in the Lois love story. I mean, sure introduce her character, but to rush their love-story so that by the end of the movie they're completely in love? On top of completely introducing his backstory PLUS setting up the angle of him being an alien/outsider trying to protect his adopted species (humans) while at the same time actually being dangerous to them because he attracts threats?

Waaay too much. Just proves Snyder has no idea how to tell a story.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The fight at the end was basically Optimus prime vs megaton in every Transformers movie. It looked cool for awhile and then got boring. It also ended with a dud. All that and a snap of the neck and it's over.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Serious question for the board.

What's the better picture?

This version of Superman OR I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Discuss.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Discuss.

IKWYDLS. Not even a decision. If Jennifer Love Hewitt was in Superman also, then you would have a case on your hands.

Also part of what makes Can't Hardly Wait the best 90's teen movie.
Sex Panther
AG
Jennifer Love Hewitt's tits easily
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
Bruce Almighty
AG

Discuss.

Two movies I've only seen once and don't care to see again. I think I'd rather watch mediocre action than mediocre horror.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Discuss.

IKWYDLS. Not even a decision. If Jennifer Love Hewitt was in Superman also, then you would have a case on your hands.

Also part of what makes Can't Hardly Wait the best 90's teen movie.
Thats an underrated flick
MrAbyss
Not only is Man of steel awesome, Batman vs superman movie(extended version) is GREAT
http://fav.me/d8rz3vv
Brick Tamland
Not sure if trolling or serious..
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Believe it or not, there are people that enjoyed those movies.
Noblemen06
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

MooreTrucker
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't have nearly the problem with them than some here do. But I'm not some kind of hoity-toity movie expert.
Brick Tamland
No I enjoyed both of those movies a lot (especially the Ultimate Edition of BvS. It's so fun watching Lex pull all of those strings and setting everything up). I even walked out of BvS at the theater explaining to my friend that I much preferred DC movies over Marvel. Just usually people on this board that post that are trolling.

Justice League was my favorite movie I saw in theaters last year.
TCTTS
AG
I'm sorry that you only got to see one movie last year.
Madmarttigan
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm sorry that you only got to see one movie last year.
usually on your side with the nuts on this board but way to elevate your ****** factor
IJones23
jackie childs said:

91_Aggie said:

It was a bad movie and it should be ashamed to have been made.
had a couple of awesome trailers though
And had Seasons by Chris Cornell.
Aggies76
AG
I have always loved Superman. He was our first and most iconic superhero. He has the best origin story of any comic book character. Clark is also a lot more complex than most give him credit for. The guy has 4 different identities and is just trying to do the right thing. His story is meant to inspire us.

I was hoping that Man of Steel would capture him in this way, but it missed. I think a lot of things were right about this movie... the "You are my son" scene with Pa Kent, the scene where Clark emerges from the spacecraft in the suit for the first time, and any scene with Russell Crowe..these were all very good. Even the last line of the movie, "Welcome to the Planet", was spot on. But so many things were just wrong. Pa Kent would never have told Clark to let those kids on the school bus die, and Clark would not have let his dad get killed by a tornado. The "love story" between Clark and Lois could have been touching and believable, but it was rushed to the point of absurdity. The writers took too many liberties with the characters.

The problem with Man of Steel was that it was a collection of scenes, some good and some horribly bad. It was not a story.

Oddly enough, Batman's description of Superman in Justice League captured him better than almost anything in Man of Steel. "He's had a job. He's fallen in love. He's more human than I am in spite of all that power. The world needs Clark."
Brick Tamland
I thought we were done with this crap. I saw a handful of movies. Sorry for being more entertained by one movie than the others I saw.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Brick Tamland said:

I thought we were done with this crap. I saw a handful of movies. Sorry for being more entertained by one movie than the others I saw.

Maybe don't take his joke so seriously. I laughed at it because that's what it was....a simple joke.
Brick Tamland
Whatever. Not worth it.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
MoS > Citizen Kane, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Empire Strikes Back
TCTTS
AG
Good gosh. It was an easy, light-hearted joke. I wasn't attacking you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gotcha.

Similarly, it's hard to tell who's being sincere and who's just being a smartass when it comes to DC movies.
MW03
AG
I feel like Man of Steel, Wonder Woman, and BvS were all attempts to take the genre more serious instead of trying to compete heads up and out-Marvel Marvel. I wonder if MoS and BvS fell a little flat because they were not really sure how to do that effectively and they ended up being ineffective hybrids. But if you:

• Look at the success of Logan
  • Look at the success of Nolan's Batman movies
  • Look at the success of The Punisher, Dare Devil, etc. on Netflix
There is definitely a market for edgier, darker, R or near-R super hero movies aimed at adults.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Man of Steel, BvS and Justice League fell flat because Zach Snyder is an awful director. Wonder Woman showed that DC can make a good movie that isn't centered around just Batman. Hopefully now that he is out of the picture permanently, things will change for the better.
Quantum ace
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Man of Steel is an awesome movie right up until he lands on Earth.

I did like Russel Crowe in it.
This.

Prequel based on Jor-El would have been a better movie.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Gotcha.

Similarly, it's hard to tell who's being sincere and who's just being a smartass when it comes to DC movies.

Serious = CrazyDayDuck being intent on the 93% Rotten Tomatoes score of WW equaling film greatness.

Smartass = everyone else.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.