Man of Steel showing on FX (FOX)

6,769 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brick Tamland
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quantum ace said:

Champ Bailey said:

Man of Steel is an awesome movie right up until he lands on Earth.

I did like Russel Crowe in it.
This.

Prequel based on Jor-El would have been a better movie.
I keep seeing commercials for some show on SyFy that seems to focus on Superman's grandfather.
dave94
AG
Aggies76 said:

Oddly enough, Batman's description of Superman in Justice League captured him better than almost anything in Man of Steel. "He's had a job. He's fallen in love. He's more human than I am in spite of all that power. The world needs Clark."
I haven't had a chance to rewatch Justice League since it's available on digital now....but, the 180 that Batman does from BvS to this is just absurd.

Especially after the whole "if we believe there's even a one percent chance that he is our enemy we have to take it as an absolute certainty" ridiculousness.

MooreTrucker
AG
dave94 said:

Aggies76 said:

Oddly enough, Batman's description of Superman in Justice League captured him better than almost anything in Man of Steel. "He's had a job. He's fallen in love. He's more human than I am in spite of all that power. The world needs Clark."
I haven't had a chance to rewatch Justice League since it's available on digital now....but, the 180 that Batman does from BvS to this is just absurd.

Especially after the whole "if we believe there's even a one percent chance that he is our enemy we have to take it as an absolute certainty" ridiculousness.

From the "one percent chance" line to "he's more human than me and we REALLY need him" speech.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Man of Steel, BvS and Justice League fell flat because Zach Snyder is an awful director. Wonder Woman showed that DC can make a good movie that isn't centered around just Batman. Hopefully now that he is out of the picture permanently, things will change for the better.
I'll disagree strongly.

JL's biggest faults came after Snyder left the project. MoS was the most "purely Snyder" movie in the DCEU and it's easily the best, IMHO.

And as has been mentioned on this thread, the Extended cut of BvS is head and shoulders above the theatrical cut, and those cuts almost assuredly came from the studio and not from Snyder.

I think it's the attempt at course-correction they did in Justice League that really dug a hole for them. I wish they had just stuck to their guns with Snyder, but it seems like WB can't handle even a little bit of criticism without trying to change everything they're doing.
c-jags
bearamedic99 said:

i guess I'm in the minority but i actually appreciated the amount of damage done by a superhero battle. Made it more realistic to me.
ditto. outside of a couple of people dying in marvel movies, there's no long lasting damage. Avengers 1 in NYC did more devastation than MOS and it's fairly glossed over till CW and it's like they decided NOW it's an issue.

i much more like the Marvel movies thus far, but DC has had actual consequences and i like that about them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is one of my biggest issues with Marvel, as of late. The lack of consequence and total episodic feel to the MCU.

And even though they addressed it in Civil War, the biggest fault in that movie, for me, was the complete lack of consequence to that whole fight. None of it felt like it had any weight or emotional resonance, until the very last few minutes.

A temporarily paralyzed War Machine just was not enough for me to care about that entire rift in the Avengers.
dave94
AG
Well, Cap's crew are all international fugitives, I think that's a pretty significant consequence.
TexasAggie_02
AG
dave94 said:

Well, Cap's crew are all international fugitives, I think that's a pretty significant consequence.
until the first act of IW, when SHTF and they all make up
dave94
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

dave94 said:

until the first act of IW, when SHTF and they all make up
Well, yeah....
Aggies76
AG
dave94 said:

Aggies76 said:

I agree, and this is one of the reasons I liked Justice League better than BvS. I never liked or understood the idea of Batman and Superman fighting each other.
rhutton125
AG
Quote:

JL's biggest faults came after Snyder left the project

Unless you buy the reports that the original draft was "unwatchable."

Also, the Avengers may have had more damage in NYC than MoS, but they also fought giant space whales. Iron Man also didn't slam a chitauri through a skyscraper or into a gas station, causing it to explode.
MooreTrucker
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is one of my biggest issues with Marvel, as of late. The lack of consequence and total episodic feel to the MCU.

And even though they addressed it in Civil War, the biggest fault in that movie, for me, was the complete lack of consequence to that whole fight. None of it felt like it had any weight or emotional resonance, until the very last few minutes.

A temporarily paralyzed War Machine just was not enough for me to care about that entire rift in the Avengers.
It seemed like they mentioned "New York" a whole lot more in Agents of Shield than any of the movies.
_lefraud_
AG
MoS is still one of the best trailers I've ever seen. It was just about perfect. And for that, I can appreciate the movie. It was NEVER going to live up to the hype, especially to the hype of THAT trailer.
Aggies76
AG
_lefraud_ said:

MoS is still one of the best trailers I've ever seen. It was just about perfect. And for that, I can appreciate the movie. It was NEVER going to live up to the hype, especially to the hype of THAT trailer.
No kidding. I had my hopes up so high for that movie, I was doomed for disappointment. It was probably my favorite trailer of all time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be fair, damn near anything would look epic with that score from Howard Shore.

Aggies76
AG
Epic teaser. Just makes me sadder that the movie wasn't good.
Stupe
S
Brian Earl Spilner said:

10x better than Civil War.
11X worse than Civil War
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm rubber, you're glue
Brick Tamland
Rumors of Cavill wanting to do Man of Steel 2. With Snyder out of the picture, maybe this one will stand a chance.
Forum Troll
AG
Big fan of MoS myself. Understand the criticisms but one of my favorite origin movies. I like Snyder's take on the character giving him some internal conflict and the amount of destruction in act 3 showing what 2 aliens fighting on Earth could really be like. Epic score as well.
Noblemen06
AG
Brick Tamland said:

Rumors of Cavill wanting to do Man of Steel 2. With Snyder out of the picture, maybe this one will stand a chance.

I really hope this happens.
PatAg
AG
hopefully they drop the doom and gloom depression that he insisted on infecting the whole movie with. I still liked it a lot, but that doesnt mean I dont think it was a flawed movie.
Noblemen06
AG
Should've clarified - I really hope this happens because the Superman we saw in Justice League was badass.
dds08
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

To be fair, damn near anything would look epic with that score from Howard Shore.

The first half of this trailer reminded me of Bourne Identity.

A shrimp boat out at sea.

A hitchhiker catches a ride.
Brick Tamland
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The only fight in that movie that had any weight to it for me was Cap and Bucky vs Stark.

The fight before they take off to Siberia was super cheesy and way too many jokes thrown in for what was supposed to be a tense fight. Maybe it's because they were all holding back in their own ways because they used to all be friends and acquaintances, but still. I thought the overall story line was good, though.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I loved the airport fight scene. It may be my favorite overall scene in the MCU. Yea, they aren't trying their hardest, and there is a lot of one liners, but seeing all those characters on the screen at once was awesome.
Brick Tamland
All of them on screen together definitely was awesome. Not denying that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.