*** SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE ***

29,597 Views | 275 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fig96
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love the animation style here. Granted, it's a little weird that Sony would want to muddy the waters with even more Spider-Men right when Marvel has helped them get their live-action version so right, but with this one being animated, I guess there's at least no fear of confusion. That, and this is written by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the duo behind the 21 Jump Street movies along with The Lego Movie - who also were fired from Solo: A Star Wars Story - but count me in because of their involvement alone.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse hits theaters on December 14, 2018, so we've still got a ways to go...

fig96
AG
Beat me to the post but super excited for this one, love the style and it's an interesting way to expand the universe. I'd been hearing they were going with a different sort of look for it and loving this direction.

Have a friend that just moved to Vancouver to work on this, I'll see what other info I can find out.
Sex Panther
AG
The animation looks incredible. I don't think anyone other than die-hards know who Miles Morales is, but it doesn't look like that will be too confusing. They're making it clear from the beginning, this obviously isn't Peter Parker.

And despite what all the Star Wars nutjobs say, Miller and Lord are absolutely great, and I'm definitely in on anything they're involved with.
schmendeler
AG
Looks good. Any idea if this is going to be PG13 or higher? I'd love to take the kiddo if it was PG.
fig96
AG
I'd bet on it being PG, don't think any mainstream animated feature has been PG-13 yet.
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm game for anything spidey. Who is the villain? I'm not familiar with Miles but loved the cartoons growing up and rewatched all of them in college due to DC++.

I would be much more pumped about the venom movie if it was animated and tied in with this.
tamusc
AG
Sex Panther said:

And despite what all the Star Wars nutjobs say, Miller and Lord are absolutely great, and I'm definitely in on anything they're involved with.
I've really enjoyed their other moves, but I can see how their style doesn't fit within the Star Wars universe.

Looking forward to this one.
PatAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

The animation looks incredible. I don't think anyone other than die-hards know who Miles Morales is, but it doesn't look like that will be too confusing. They're making it clear from the beginning, this obviously isn't Peter Parker.

Yea, I still find that whole star wars issue very odd. For me, its a red flag on Disney. You hired these guys knowing EXACTLY what kind of movies they make.
COOL LASER FALCON
tv1113 said:

I'm game for anything spidey. Who is the villain? I'm not familiar with Miles but loved the cartoons growing up and rewatched all of them in college due to DC++.

I would be much more pumped about the venom movie if it was animated and tied in with this.
fig96
AG
Resurrecting this as hopefully I'm not the only one pumped about this trailer.

AgPediRPh
AG
Gwen Stacy, wow I'm way behind on Spider Man mythology
AliasMan02
AG
fig96 said:

Resurrecting this as hopefully I'm not the only one pumped about this trailer.

Animation style is dope.
Madmarttigan
AG
I suppose I am equally behind I don't recognize any villains and never remember her having powers, but trailer looks cool.
Formerly tv1113
AliasMan02
AG
tv1113 said:

I suppose I am equally behind I don't recognize any villains and never remember her having powers, but trailer looks cool.

While I'm not up on it, Spider-Gwen has been an incredibly popular arc/title of late.
Madmarttigan
AG
I suppose I should specify I'm not a comic reader. Only watched pretty much every cartoon episode growing up.
Formerly tv1113
bearamedic99
AG
The trailer looks great. I lol'd at the scene with the dad on the PA. Is Nick from New Girl voicing Peter Parker? This might actually be worth seeing in theaters.
bearamedic99
AG
Yup, I checked IMDb and it's Nick.
rhutton125
AG
I know Spider Gwen is popular... but I have to say, conceptually, from what little I know, it's like the antithesis of anything I want in a character. Bring back a long-dead character and make her yet another version of a classic character? May as well have Spider Ben as well and let Uncle Ben get in on the act.
SeattleAgJr
rhutton125 said:

I know Spider Gwen is popular... but I have to say, conceptually, from what little I know, it's like the antithesis of anything I want in a character. Bring back a long-dead character and make her yet another version of a classic character? May as well have Spider Ben as well and let Uncle Ben get in on the act.
well, she is from an alternate earth, same as miles morales, hence the "into the spider-verse" subtitle.

but yes, dozens of different spiderman running around (spiderman, Miles, Gwen, Silk, Iron Spider, Scarlet Spider, Venom, AntiVenom, Carnage, Spider-Ham, etc) does get to be too much after a while.
jeffk
AG
Looks amazing.
Quinn
AG
SeattleAgJr
Quinn said:

The Debt
That's funny considering that was the last animated film I paid money to see in theaters.

I don't think I'm gonn break that streak with spiderverse
TCTTS
AG
Man, this is such a crazy weird concept - one that apparently begins in the Sam Raimi Spider-Verse (???), with Jake Johnson filling in for Tobey Maguire (???) - but you can absolutely count me in for opening weekend...

TCTTS
AG
Ok, based on the image below, I don't think this is specifically the Raimi Spider-Verse. Because of the green lizard hand grabbing Spidey, which hints at the Garfield movies as well, I think Sony is simply using "iconic" imagery from their first five Spidey movies (but mainly from the Raimi movies, in the montage before these images below) to essentially underline that Jake Johnson's is the *main*/prime Spider-man in this movie...

TCTTS
AG
And then it looks like Johnson's Spider-Man gets transported, in an experiment gone wrong, to the Miles Morales universe, along with all the other alt-dimension Spider-Men/Women/Pigs. So there IS a "normal" New York in this movie at the start, but the bulk of it looks to take place in Miles Morales' alt-New York.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

Not ashamed to say that I bought the first few issues of this comic waaaayyyyyy back in 1985.
amercer
AG
Guys, I hate to be debi downer here, but I don't think this movie is happening. I mean, Spider-Man is dead and all. I was as surprised as anyone that Sony would let him be killed off, but just like in comic books what's done is done.
jeffk
AG
jeffk said:

Looks amazing.

Looks even more amazing the more I see of it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Is that John Mulaney as the spider pig?
TCTTS
AG
Yep.
Madmarttigan
AG
This looks really strange but fun at the same time.
Formerly tv1113
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Man, this is such a crazy weird concept - one that apparently begins in the Sam Raimi Spider-Verse (???), with Jake Johnson filling in for Tobey Maguire (???) - but you can absolutely count me in for opening weekend...

I was already totally in based on the animation style alone. Now I'm like totally, totally in.
fig96
AG
Will fill in details tomorrow, but I watched the first 30 minutes of Into the Spider-Verse yesterday and all I can say is y'all have no idea what you're in for.

It's beautifully crafted, action packed, surprisingly touching in spots, incredibly self-aware, and way funnier than I expected.

Full story tonight/tomorrow.
TCTTS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.