Pixar's Coco [Staff Edit on OP]

11,505 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Josepi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

But to stick it is front of the main feature and and add 20+ minutes to the runtime is horrible. My daughter kept asking "Mama, when is Coco coming on?" and was fidgeting like crazy and bored BEFORE the main feature even started. We almost had to leave because my daughter can't sit through 2 and a half hours, but she wanted to stay and see the end of the movie. And we were late to an even after because I never imagined that we would be stuck in the theater for so long. Just a bad experience for what was a wonderful movie once it finally started.
My kids asked me twice during the Frozen "short" is we were in the wrong theater.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Just got out. Echoing the sentiments of the Frozen short. We actually got there in time so that we could see it. It was terrible. Made only worse by how good Coco was.

And Coco was awesome. One of the best Pixar efforts IMO. It was gorgeous, well-written, well-paced, the music was fantastic, and it was just all around enjoyable. And like everyone else has said, the last ten minutes was somebody mashing onions into my retinas. Very relatable movie as a person who has a very large and/or close family. And if you have neither of those, it's still a good ass movie overall. Loved it.
Human
AG
Hated the Frozen bit, waaay too long
Never saw the original Frozen
Should have cut 10-15 minutes

Coco was well writen and entertaining given the material

But as a Latino the whole Dia de Las Muertos concept is stupid
Not many of my relatives practice this ritual
It's actually embarassing that people believe this crap
I had to really "open my mind" to the concept

LisaMarie
AG
I'm Mexican and while my family is pretty in touch with our heritage we've never celebrated Dia de Los Muertos, it just never was a tradition to us. This movie made me want to begin celebrating it. I see nothing silly or embarrassing about honoring a deceased loved one and pretending/believing they're coming to see you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For my family (it's not widespread in northern Mexico), we usually just went to visit grandpa at the cemetery and then had a big family lunch at my grandma's house with pan de muerto.

Even though we didn't do the ofrendas, I think it's a cool concept. Just because you don't practice it doesnt make it stupid.

There are far stupider things practiced in every culture.

Plus I really enjoy all of the colors and imagery associated with it.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
I grew up Catholic in a white family and wish after seeing Coco that we had this tradition in our culture. I'm not religious anymore, but I could get behind the values dia de los muertos represents. I'm sure in no small part because of how secularly the film presented the concept around the holiday. It wasn't so much about faith in god or a Christian heaven as it was finding a way to remember and honor your predecessors. I'm getting all the feels again just thinking about it.
Not a Bot
AG
Disney is pulling the Frozen long at the end of the week.

http://mashable.com/2017/12/02/coco-olaf-frozen-adventure-short-removed/#JfQ4EGnIykqD
chimpanzee
Cross cultural understanding doesn't have to be a club to beat people over the head with, and Pixar wasn't being preachy with this one. They took a narrative spin on an interesting tradition (can't comment on authenticity, have no idea there) and told a story that emphasized why the people that practice it find value in keeping it going. It humanized something foreign to most of us without trying to pat themselves on the back for the non-whiteness of it all, which some people seem to reflexively worry about from either side of the political crap.

Up and Wall-E struck me as having a political-ish agenda, but this one didn't.

The Frozen thing was obviously long, if it were better, none of us should have noticed. An additional 20 minutes of run time in a movie that a lot of small kids are going to see is going to hurt the experience for a lot of people. Disney fouled up on that one. My little chimps are 7 and 10, so no big deal for us, apart from it just not being anything special.
gougler08
AG
Sorry staff
Duncan Idaho
Cliff's of the drama?

[Not if they want to keep posting. -Staff]
Dwide Schrude
AG
Just got back from watching it. Still have lumps in my throat, doesn't help that the little boy looks like 8 year old me.

Also, HATED the stupid Frozen short. Will not be seeing the second one as I didn't really get the hype for the first one.
Marsh
AG
Better than Star Wars
tx4guns
AG
I saw Coco and Ferdinand back to back last Thusday. Onions were strong on both of them at the end. Both better than Star Wars, which I saw last night. Coco may be top 2 or 3 Pixar films I've ever seen. Enjoyed it from start to finish.
Beckdiesel03
AG
We saw it last week as well and really enjoyed it. Both my kids 6 & 2 1/2 did well considering it's length. I'm glad we waited to see it until after they pulled the frozen short.
RadAg14
AG
I wish we had a pixar short skit instead of frozen
Sex Panther
AG
What's the deal with this Frozen short?
annie88
AG
I really enjoyed Coco. Thought is was very good.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Took my two daughters and Mexican mother to see it last night.

It was stunningly, painstakingly, incredibly beautiful. Not just visually (and believe me it was GORGEOUS to look at) but the story itself. So well done.

We have never celebrated this tradition either however we have always been very aware of it. That stated, they absolutely nailed the culture (and pop culture) references. From the family dynamic, to the chancla, to the music......it was absolutely perfect. I usually don't buy movies but as long as I'm on this earth, there will be a copy of Coco in my house for me, my kids, and eventual grandkids.
TexasAggie_02
AG
took my 2 year old to this as her first ever movie theater trip. she was wide eyed the entire time, memorized. She didn't say a word the entire movie. I thought it was really great as well.
gougler08
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

took my 2 year old to this as her first ever movie theater trip. she was wide eyed the entire time, memorized. She didn't say a word the entire movie. I thought it was really great as well.

We had planned to take our 2 year old yesterday but she came down with the flu, so may be waiting to stream this one
TyHolden
AG
Great movie
wessimo
AG
Late to the party, but took the kids to the matinee today. We all really enjoyed it, one of Pixar's best for sure.
Talon2DSO
AG
Very late to the game here but my daughter and I watched Coco last night. Great movie and reminded me of my own family. The dress maker Hector asks to let him in reminded me so much of my grandmother. She even made wedding dresses in Camargo way back when.

The last 10 mins...wow...it took everything I had not to cry like an infant.
"Life's tough, but I'm tougher."
Charpie
AG
I went to see it in the theater by myself. The teenager had no interest in going, and I needed to burn my last vacation day.

Just thinking about that day makes me cry. Perhaps because it reminds me of my grandparents, or the whole culture thing be relatable. It was a beautiful movie.
Duncan Idaho
Streamed it last week. Enjoyed it. It wast an up or a wall-e.

I don't understand how anyone could have an issue with this movie or the traditions shown.

The idea of a second death when no one remembers you is pretty common in non Abrahamic religion based cultures.
MW03
AG
Solid, solid movie. Pixar is a rock steady studio for turning out great movies.
SteveA
AG
I thought it was average. Cars 2 level.
FL_Ag1998
AG
SteveA said:

I thought it was average. Cars 2 level.

Ok, now you're just trolling.
Noblemen06
AG
I honestly have no idea what gripe there could be about Up having an agenda.
Noblemen06
AG
...and Coco was magnificent!
Talon2DSO
AG
Noblemen06 said:

I honestly have no idea what gripe there could be about Up having an agenda.

The party balloon lobby. Those manipulative mofos.
"Life's tough, but I'm tougher."
CrottyKid
AG
I liked it better the first time when it was called "Book of Life".
BBQ4Me
AG
After watching the movie and tucking my daughter into bed, she told me, "Dad, when you die, I won't forget you."

Creepy, but cute.
Sex Panther
AG
I just saw this movie. It's absolutely beautiful both visually and from a story standpoint.

I cannot believe this movie didn't even get nominated for Best Picture. Especially with that field of totally forgettable, mediocre movies. The ****ing Shape of Water wins, and this movie didn't even get nominated... what a joke.

The Academy needs to get over itself. The best movie should win. Regardless if its animated or about a super hero, or whatever.
who?mikejones
AG
Finally saw it.

It was okay. Not great.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.