Lord of the Rings... the TV Series

45,562 Views | 316 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by shaynew1
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

This is so ****ing stupid.

What makes Game of Thrones so popular isn't that it's simply action/fantasy. It's all the intangibles, including the cast, writing, direction, etc. Also, we have no idea how it's going to end. We watch to see who's going to win the game and how.

Who the hell would watch a LOTR show this soon after they bloated the hell out of that franchise theatrically? I loved the originals - the first two, in particular (though I walked out 20 minutes into the first Hobbit movie and never saw another one) - but there is just no way I'd sit through that entire story again.

Granted, it's been nearly 14 years since The Return of the King hit theaters, and it would likely be another three before this ever saw the light of day, but still. Neither the books nor the movies warrant an update in any way. It all just feels so damn exhausting at this point.
SeattleAgJr
yeah, no. We had as good an adaption as we are likely to get, warts and all.

not needed. not wanted.

money would be better used on more and cheaper shows.
Duncan Idaho
So it isn't something set in middle Earth but at an earlier time?

There is enough material to do a good prequel series
Aggie_Journalist
AG
If they had the production value of the original trilogy but told a different story in the Tolkien universe, I'd give it a shot.

There's certainly no need to retell the LOTR story, but there are a ton of other tales in that universe. It's rich in lore. Could be pretty fun.
Thanks and gig'em
mhayden
Use that money for a real Dark Tower series.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You walked out 20 minutes into a 3 hour movie?
Madmarttigan
AG
The original LOTR trilogy is arguably still by far and away the best fantasy adaption of a book on screen. There isn't a great way to tell with GoT because the show has outpaced the books. I love Harry Potter but I believe the movies had a lot of issues in how they told the story.

Why would they possibly want to mess with what is one of the best movie trilogies ever made?

Effing Hollywood sometimes.

What makes this so aggravating is the massive amount of original material that is waiting on the shelf to be explored. Butcher, Sanderson, and so many other fantasy writers have great material to start with.

Showtime already **** the bed with the Kingkiller Chronicles announcement that isn't going to actually be about the story and now this.

Also I wouldn't blame TC for walking out of a Hobbit movie, LOTR is amazing but I can't stomach the Hobbit movies.
TCTTS
AG
It was one of those early, terrible 60 FPS showings. I hated it somehow even more than 3D. That, and I just wasn't feeling the movie at all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If this is the actual LOTR story, no thanks. Not gonna top Jackson. If it's anything else set in Middle Earth, then I'm in.

They better get Howard Shore.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, the thought of another actor playing Gandalf legitimately bugs me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I could be down for a young Aragorn series, in a Jon Snow - esque role.
powerbelly
AG
You could easily have a series showing the rangers guarding middle earth.
jr15aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

It was one of those early, terrible 60 FPS showings. I hated it somehow even more than 3D. That, and I just wasn't feeling the movie at all.

I did hear the 60 fps thing didn't go over too well. Looked very fake. I've seen that effect with people that have their TVs calibrated weird... The smoothness of the picture makes it look silly.
Madmarttigan
AG
Just got my new tv and had to turn that trumotion crap off
ja86
AG
There is a ****load of material that they could use that has all heroic actions combined with backstabbing, murdering, two timing infighting in the face of a greater threat that any writer could ever want with first and second age history of middle earth.
SeattleAgJr
ja86 said:

There is a ****load of material that they could use that has all heroic actions combined with backstabbing, murdering, two timing infighting in the face of a greater threat that any writer could ever want with first and second age history of middle earth.
but I believe Christopher Tolkien has locked all of that down.

I think the only subject matter than can be licensed is the timeline between The Hobbit and LOTR.

The Silmarillion and related time period is not licensed out in any form.
ja86
AG
yeah, I forgot about Christopher's lock down on the copy rights.
SeattleAgJr
ANY media firm that buys into this is ******ed.
From Deadine:
I hear Amazon, Netflix and HBO had been approached about the project, which comes with an upfront rights payment said to be in the $200 $250 million range. That is just for the rights, before any costs for development, talent and production. It is a payment that has to be made sight unseen as there is no concept, and there are no creative auspices attached to the possible series. (I hear the pitch at HBO involved producer Jane Tranter whose company is partially owned by HBO and Sky but the general package has no talent attached.) On top of that, the budget for a fantasy series of that magnitude is likely to be $100-$150 a season.
GoodOldAgs
I'd be a favor of turning the Silmarillion into a TV series, if any fellow nerds know what I'm talking about. The Second Age has a lot of material to work with as well.
chipotle
Hobbit pron
tallgrant
SeattleAgJr said:

ja86 said:

but I believe Christopher Tolkien has locked all of that down.

I think the only subject matter than can be licensed is the timeline between The Hobbit and LOTR.

The Silmarillion and related time period is not licensed out in any form.

This. The Tolkien estate has generally hated the adaptations done for LotR and the Hobbit. He sold the rights for money during his lifetime and I think regretted it 10-15 years later. They hold the rights to everything else very closely, and they're a quite picky in how adaptations even touch the First and Second Age stuff.
Al Bula
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You walked out 20 minutes into a 3 hour movie?
to be fair the hobbit trilogy licked hairy dwarf ass
amercer
AG
I love Tolkien but anything they did would look like a cheap game of thrones knockoff. People don't love game of thrones because it's a grand fantasy world. They love it because it's a well written, violent, soap opera with boobs.
91_Aggie
AG
free_mhayden said:

Use that money for a real Dark Tower series.

Ugh. Only If it stayed with Roland when he was younger and stayed in that world.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Funny how in S1, many would've said GoT looked like a cheap LOTR knockoff.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yea I dunno if I agree with that..
Al Bula
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

MajorValchek
I'm sure the money is there to justify it. Not sure how they determine this with a subscription system either way though. Definitely a bad idea.

Where's my Dune miniseries. This can definitely be marketed like Game of Thrones in space.
bangobango
AG
Lot of my great fantasy series out there that would make a lot better adaptation for a tv series.
bangobango
AG
And I've still never seen the final movie of the Hobbit trilogy and The Hobbit was my favorite novel growing up.
chipotle
bangobango said:

And I've still never seen the final movie of the Hobbit trilogy and The Hobbit was my favorite novel growing up.

I just wanted it to be over. It was worse than a transformer movie.
bangobango
AG
I got so pissed with some of the ridiculousness in the first two, I figured I'd do myself a favor and just sit the last one out.

Pretty sad when the cartoon Hobbit movie was less catoony than the live action movies.
swimmerbabe11
I'll watch it.
I'll hate every moment of it, but I'll keep watching it.
I'm ashamed to admit I'll probably enjoy it, even though I'll hate it.
KidDoc
AG
I'm a big fantasy, former D&D/GURPS type nerd. One of the big reasons GOT has cross over appeal is that it is a "low fantasy" world at least in the beginning. No fireballs, no races (dwarves, elves, hobbits, etc) just fairly realistic medieval era politics and backstabbing then they slowly introduce the magic side with dragons, warging, returning from the dead, zombies, etc. I think having a "high fantasy" setting is generally a turn off to most non-nerdy people.

On that note I think this series would fail. I do think a TV series based on Abercrombie's first law would be amazing considering how popular Vikings is. In a different genre I think Butcher's Dresden files would be good as well. I know it is a bit high fantasy but it uses popular fables like vampires & werewolves and is pretty funny. The initial try @ Dresden was very poorly funded and poorly done.

I love Sanderson's books but I don't think they would translate well.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bangobango
AG
KidDoc said:

I'm a big fantasy, former D&D/GURPS type nerd. One of the big reasons GOT has cross over appeal is that it is a "low fantasy" world at least in the beginning. No fireballs, no races (dwarves, elves, hobbits, etc) just fairly realistic medieval era politics and backstabbing then they slowly introduce the magic side with dragons, warging, returning from the dead, zombies, etc. I think having a "high fantasy" setting is generally a turn off to most non-nerdy people.

On that note I think this series would fail. I do think a TV series based on Abercrombie's first law would be amazing considering how popular Vikings is. In a different genre I think Butcher's Dresden files would be good as well. I know it is a bit high fantasy but it uses popular fables like vampires & werewolves and is pretty funny. The initial try @ Dresden was very poorly funded and poorly done.

I love Sanderson's books but I don't think they would translate well.

I think Sanders's reckoner series would come off pretty well and could be done on a realistic budget.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.