*** BLADE RUNNER 2049 *** (Spoiler Thread)

23,356 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by C@LAg
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Great soundtrack, though I could have used even more synth
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Loved it as well. Could've used a bit more sax myself.
TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I didn't get much of an impression of it while I was watching the movie, but now having listened to it, I must say that it was quite good. The sax would have been a great additional tie-in to the original Vangelis score.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Another phenomenal analysis from Birth. Movies. Death., one that I think may solidify this as my favorite movie of the year, and I don't know that anything else will touch it...

pfo
AG
So many times sequels don't live up to the original but this Blade Runner did in every way. It was every bit as awful as the first one. Confusing, boring, very slow, 3 painful hours long, drab, without color and almost always raining.

Blade Runner evoked almost no sympathy for any of the characters. Jarad Leto is just a freaky Hollywood weirdo and if he's in a movie it's probably going to be freaky and weird and not good just like him.

Blade Runner 2 just left us ice cold.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
^LOL.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

^LOL.
I'm not gonna laugh at this guy's opinion but I do wonder what movie he actually watched. 2049 is, IMO, one of the very best science fiction movies ever made, and my second favorite of this year behind Dunkirk.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Confusing, boring, very slow, 3 painful hours long, drab, without color and almost always raining.
This is objectively wrong. You may be color blind.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

without color

GiveEmHellBill
AG
pfo said:

Confusing, boring, very slow, 3 painful hours long, drab, without color and almost always raining.
Dude, you were watching Schindler's List, not Blade Runner
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

I wonder if they used a filter in-camera, added it in post, or actually shot in that light. Looked amazing.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
^Watched this mug in IMAX yesterday and when that shot came up, good lord. Straight bathed the theater in radioactive light. Incredible.
TCTTS
AG
fig96
AG
My designer side freakin' loved this film, absolutely gorgeous in every way.

Storywise I thought it was a hair slow in places, and a few of my minor nitpicks have been addressed (not killing K in Vegas being one of the big ones).

My one other big nitpick: did anyone else feel like Wallace was rather underdeveloped? I kept waiting to learn more about him, understand where he was coming from, etc., and it just never happened.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

did anyone else feel like Wallace was rather underdeveloped?
Agreed. Felt like he may have had some scenes edited out, perhaps. But then, in the original movie, there was not a whole lot of focus on Tyrell.
fig96
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

did anyone else feel like Wallace was rather underdeveloped?
Agreed. Felt like he may have had some scenes edited out, perhaps. But then, in the original movie, there was not a whole lot of focus on Tyrell.
True, but I felt like by the time we met Tyrell we understood who he was. I never quite got who Wallace was throughout this.
swimmerbabe11
I'm so glad to read that 100% of people had to pee during this film. I tried to hard to make it.
I came back during the final fight and asked "where the hell did all the water come from"

I hated the holograph girl dying and that hooker chick also exited the movie so fast. I was hoping she'd get a real body and become a real girl.

Also, when he got the **** kicked out of him and wakes up to her all touchin him all sexy like... why isn't he more asking wtf is going on? They were about to have a moment..which was wierd since his girlfriend just got crushed before his eyes.

I also don't enjoy the main character dying. Would have loved for Deckard's daughter to basically adopt him as her brother for the next movie and have him basically be her bodyguard and sidekick.

swimmerbabe11
MW03 said:

Bunbury said:

I think I want a rewatch just to hear all of Joi's lines again. They emphasized the ads so much, proclaiming 'She says EXACTLY what you want to hear.' So is it fair to assume all of her lines can function as exactly what K/Joe wants to hear? Or did y'all think she was just a different form of replicant, who started to function on her own? If it was her just saying what Joe wants to hear, then...

-He wants to be 'special'
-He wants to be named Joe
-He wants to jeopardize her life by cutting the home antennae

There are probably more significant lines as well.
I thought one of the biggest gut punches in the whole damn movie was when K was walking past the gigantic (naked, so I'm assuming about a billion traffic accidents) hologram Joi and she called him "a Joe" or something like that.

yep, this killed me.

I wish the hooker chick would have caught up with him at this point or something.

Also, I soo did not expect so much random nudity in this film.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

I'm so glad to read that 100% of people had to pee during this film. I tried to hard to make it.
I made it even though I spent the movie downing one of those really big bomb shells the AMC theater sells its drinks in.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I'm so glad to read that 100% of people had to pee during this film.
That last hour was very uncomfortable, but I did not want to miss a single scene. And I even peed before the movie began!
TCTTS
AG
I waited 'til the very last minute to pee, just before the movie started, and I still had to go about an hour in. That never happens. I never, ever get up during a movie, but I knew how much longer it was going to be, and I didn't want to be uncomfortable for a movie this good, so I got up during the scene where K and Joi are going to San Diego / the orphanage. Missed how they crashed, but watched it a second time and saw.
Carl Underguard
AG
Some of y'all need to get your prostate checked.
Carl Underguard
AG
I'm glad to see the positive reception to this movie. I'll echo what others have said by saying that I think it is the most visually impressive/beautiful movie I've ever seen. It was literally the first thing I said when I exited the theater. It was better than the first Blade Runner, and Villeneuve continues to impress me. All the talk on this thread makes me want to go see it again, if I can carve out time.

Also, Ana de Armas - wow! TC, if you can put in a good
word for me with her, please do. She's gorgeous and can act
TCTTS
AG
Get in line, bud.
Carl Underguard
AG
Will do.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Get in line, bud.

At first I thought this was in response to, "Some of y'all need to get your prostate checked"
TCTTS
AG
Legitimately laughed out loud at that.
swimmerbabe11
Sex Panther said:

TCTTS said:

Get in line, bud.

At first I thought this was in response to, "Some of y'all need to get your prostate checked"

Username... confusing.
TCTTS
AG
I still despise this in general, but at least they involved the real Sean Young as much as they could...

cone
AG
this movie was wonderful
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Saw it tonight, B-

Loved the casting. Robin Wright, Barkhad Abdi and Lennie James were unexpected appearances that added another personality dimension. Gosling and Ana de Armas were great. Ford was a good addition for posterity sake but added little to the film except putting his hand on the glass partition in the final scene.

Visually amazing scenes. Enjoyed the creative use of light in the Ford/Leto scene. Over-reliance on CGI action took some of the thrill away.

Run time did a disservice to the film. Many scenes should've been abridged and wouldn't have lost their effect. Some scenes added little to the plot and could've been deleted altogether (attack by trash dump gang, sex scene, rebel recruitment, drawn out and predictable fight in the surf).

The plot had so many missed opportunities for character development and suspense: The mixed emotions of Love. The plot between the top of the LAPD and Wallace. K working for a society that loathes him. Wallace himself.

Too much nudity but not enough action. I'm no prude, and I get the idea of a hyper-sexualized dystopian future, but at some point it just seems like a crutch to keep the audience's attention despite the meandering plot. And there wasn't enough believable, intense action. The opening fight scene was the peak, with the beach fight being ant-climactic and rote martial arts. There was sacrely a time when I felt fear for any character being pursued or on the run.

Good but not great.
MrPlow2010
AG
I finally got a chance to see it and I loved it. The best visuals I've ever seen in a movie.

I came across these short videos on YouTube that take place between Blade Runner in 2019 and the new one. The first one is about the blackout and the other two were directed by Ridley Scott's son. It's cool that they are actually related to the film and even fill in some questions I had after seeing Blade Runner 2049.

DB Coach
AG
Saw it...and loved it! I get why people were saying it was too long, but for me, it was great. And I actually did NOT have to empty my bladder! I just made sure I was good to go before it started, and I sipped on my drink the whole time. :P

And I wish I had seen these film shorts! I knew about them, but forgot. Thanks for posting them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.