Famous people you have met (not in LA or if you worked with them in showbiz)...

17,701 Views | 218 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Hogties
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm breaking the rules with my reply, but I saw Brooklyn a few weeks back in the lobby at my local theater in LA and she looked amazing. She was about to do a Q&A for her latest movie, and she was there with a couple other cast members. No Andy.

She's also been in my sister's clothing boutique in Austin a couple times and my sister says she's super cool/nice.
chipotle
Sex Panther said:

How did Brooklyn look in person?

Amazing. Saw her on a plane once and thought to myself, "damn who can afford that?" Then I saw andy behind her and was like, "oh".
Liquid Wrench
ChiliBeans said:

I don't think I've ever met a legitimate celebrity.
Wait, I forgot I hung out with Dave South for a while during a rainout at a baseball game once. Good guy.
TresPuertas
AG
Politics:

President Bush when he was running through my hometown campaigning. Got to spend some time around him as a volunteer Very nice guy

Rick Perry came to the suite we were in for the red, white, and blue out game. Also nice, in a politician way, but impressed the hell out of me by glad handing everyone in the room, leaving for 20 minutes, coming back and knowing every single persons name in the suite.

J.C Watts in Norman. Cool dude

Music:
Most of the early aughts Texas Country crowd. All fairly nice, nothing sticks out.

Miranda Lambert, pre and post fame. (Close friend of mine is very close with their parents.). Before she was famous she was very sweet and kind of bubbly. In my encounters I've had with her since mega fame she's nice but extremely guarded and reserved.

Misc.
Was playing golf by myself in high school in McKinney. Had an older gentleman ask if he could join. Found out by about the 4th hole it was Carroll Shelby. Extremely nice man. We remained friendly until I left for A&M.

Sports:
Numerous encounters with Emmitt Smith. He's been extremely nice for every one.

My dad was friends with Lee Roy Jordan and I used to fill in when they needed a fourth for their golf games. He remains my favorite cowboy of all time.

Randy White used to come into the family business from time to time. Also super cool.

Talked to Rece Davis after the Game at KU that the Aggie Bball team won. Was genuinely interested to talk to us and was very engaging.

And the all time nicest "celebrities" I've ever met was Daryl Royal. Freshman year I went with my roommate to Austin to pick up some archived footage of his brother when he played for Texas. Was waiting outside for my buddy to come out and Royal bumped into me and stopped and apologized and started small talk. I told him i was an Aggie and my dad played for OU back in the day and that turned into a 30 minute convo led by him. He was an incredible human being.
62strat
AG
Lots of mid level musicians, but more notably;
Lars Kirk and Rob of Metallica
Chris Cornell
Amy Lee
Trent Reznor

Then recently met R Lee Ermey

Some of y'all stretching the definition of celebrity!
Professor Frick
AG
62strat said:

Chris Cornell
Amy Lee
Trent Reznor

Says the guy who met Evanescence
CDub06
AG
My favorite was meeting Garth Brooks (and Trisha) at an off-season Aggie Soccer exhibition. That's not typically a star studded event.
62strat
AG
Professor Frick said:

62strat said:

Chris Cornell
Amy Lee
Trent Reznor

Compared to the guy from ice road truckers 'who has been on every season' hah.. ohhh he's been in every season, yeh he's hella famous!

She's at least famous enough for you to know who she is, isn't she?? (and she's sold more albums than Trent Reznor has believe it or not).

If you have to explain where they are from or why they are famous (or what reality show they are on).. they probably aren't very famous.

Know Your Enemy
AG
62strat said:

Professor Frick said:

62strat said:

Chris Cornell
Amy Lee
Trent Reznor

Compared to the guy from ice road truckers 'who has been on every season' hah.. ohhh he's been in every season, yeh he's hella famous!

She's at least famous enough for you to know who she is, isn't she?? (and she's sold more albums than Trent Reznor has believe it or not).

If you have to explain where they are from or why they are famous (or what reality show they are on).. they probably aren't very famous.

I bet 95% of this board wouldn't know who Amy Lee is if he hadn't said.
Disco Stu
AG
Christopher Meloni - in a hotel bar in Chattanooga, TN.
Clayton Kershaw - in the Pittsburgh airport about three weeks ago.
aTm2004
AG
George Bush, Sr. when I was working out at the Rec when I was at A&M. I was staring at him as he was walking by, and he stopped, put out his hand, and said "Howdy, I'm George." I sat there like a goon for what felt like forever, then I shook his hand and chatted about ring day.

Dikembe Mutombo at Champps Sports Bar in Houston.

Tilman Fertitta when I worked at the Aquarium one summer in college (insert joke here). My dad's neighbor was the GM of the place and called me over to introduce me. I had no idea who he was, but only that he owned the place. Seemed like a nice enough guy.

Hung out with Avenged Sevenfold backstage before one of their concerts in Jacksonville. Not really a fan of theirs, but one of my friends was in college at UF and had a side job with a concert promoter in JAX who brought them into the venue, so we got backstage access. Hot girls all over backstage. I believe the venue was called Plush.

Ben Spies at TWS when my old roommate was on an endurance team with CMRA. If you're into motorcycle racing, you'll know who he is. Also a local Texas boy.

Andre Johnson as he was walking into the locker room before a game. Wife and I were doing the sideline experience thing, which we got to go down by the locker room for a brunch type thing.

Brad Ausmus at The Red Door in midtown years ago. It must suck having to turn down that much hot ass in a single night.

Heather Graham and Jennifer Coolidge at The Salt Lick. I was there waiting on our table with some friends and thought one of them looked familiar. There were also little girls going over and talking to the blonde one with her back to me, so I was curious. She eventually turned around and I recognized who it was and immediately blurted out "It's Stifler's mom!" and she looked at me. It then hit me who the other one was as well as she was chugging a Shiner.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
NoahAg
Colonel Allen West at Bush Airport.
62strat
AG
Junkhead said:

62strat said:

Professor Frick said:

62strat said:

Chris Cornell
Amy Lee
Trent Reznor

But you do.. so who cares?
Know Your Enemy
AG
62strat said:

Junkhead said:

62strat said:

Professor Frick said:

62strat said:

Chris Cornell
Amy Lee
Trent Reznor

Honestly questioned who that was until he mentioned Evanescence.
MW03
AG
Once, when I was at Dika's in Chicago over Labor Day, the man himself was sitting at a huge table upstairs watching a preseason game. So we cruise past on the way to the bar, drinks are had, and ultimately I have to say something to him and disrupt his dinner, cause that's what you do in your 20s and not thinking.

So I walk over and he looks up and says "Yeah?" Being the punk I was at the time, I ask him, "Didn't you used to play for the Cowboys?"

His table goes silent, and he gave me this impossible glare, and we stand there for about a solid 5 seconds, not saying a word, but it's one of those 5 seconds that feels like it lasts about 5 minutes.

He kind of scoffs out "You must be from Dallas" and I smiled and said "Yes, sir." He laughed out loud and goes "Get the heck out of here, kid!" with this big grin on his face and kind of shakes his head, and I go "Yes, sir!" and pretty much ran away, hoping I hadn't soiled myself under the force of his glare.

62strat
AG
Junkhead said:

62strat said:

Junkhead said:

62strat said:

Professor Frick said:

62strat said:

Chris Cornell
Amy Lee
Trent Reznor

but when he did mention the band, you knew who she was. I'd say that constitutes being famous.
Know Your Enemy
AG
62strat said:

Junkhead said:

62strat said:

Junkhead said:

62strat said:

Professor Frick said:

62strat said:

Chris Cornell
Amy Lee
Trent Reznor

but when he did mention the band, you knew who she was. I'd say that constitutes being famous.
I'm a pretty big music fan, though. She's only famous in certain circles. Just like reality TV stars are famous to those who watch reality TV.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Well, she'll certainly be famous after you idiots finish arguing over her. MOVE ON...
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

Well, she'll certainly be famous after you idiots finish arguing over her. MOVE ON...
Username checks out
Prosperdick
AG
  • Bill Gates - Briefly met him but spent two weeks at his house back in '97 installing a private wireless system which meant I got to walk all through every room of his house. I had to sign an NDA but it's been 20 years so I'm pretty sure it's expired. Coolest thing about his house (and there were many) was he had a plasma flat screen custom built into the foot of his bed (which would raise up and lower with a push of a button). There was a guy who essentially ran his house who told me a story that sums up Bill pretty well - he was at a conference in D.C. and Bill and Melinda were staying there for the first time since it was livable and Bill couldn't figure out how to turn off the TV or lower it into his bed...he finally gave up and threw his comforter over it and went to sleep. When the guy returned from the conference Bill told him about it and he was like "Why didn't you just call me?" to which Bill replied "You were on the east coast and it was like 2 in the morning and I didn't want to wake you up."
  • James Hetfield - My wife and I were on our honeymoon in Maui and I splurged on the hotel (Kea Lani - supposedly nicer than the Four Seasons next door to it) and we were hanging out at the pool and there was this guy all tatted up with his little daughter (this was in 2000) and it finally dawned on me who it was. He was cool and not like his image at all. A-Rod was there too but never ran into him.
  • Ed Too Tall Jones - At my rehearsal dinner we pretty much took over the top floor of a restaurant in McKinney (The Prison...no longer there but used to be a real prison). I met him in the restroom and he asked me why that floor was blocked off...I told him why and he wished me congrats. Good sign since 17 years later and still happily married.
  • Thomas Hayden Church - At a Dallas bar around '98 and offered to buy him a drink to which he replied "your generosity will be duly noted."
  • Michael Dell - Similar to Gates above with another private wireless system at his home in Austin but unlike Bill he was a d-bag and his home looked like an office building. His wife was openly flirting with carpenters and others and was the proverbial trophy wife (again, unlike Bill's wife Melinda).
  • David Byrne (Talking Heads) - My sister is a professional cellist and she did a couple of tours with him when he went solo (when he was incorporating strings) and when he came to Dallas my wife and I got to hang out in the tour bus and the after party where David was getting beers for everyone...super cool guy and very introverted (surprisingly for someone known to wear the big suit).
  • ETA - Met Verne Lundquist at DFW earlier this year, great guy.
Sex Panther
AG
MW03 said:

Once, when I was at Dika's in Chicago over Labor Day, the man himself was sitting at a huge table upstairs watching a preseason game. So we cruise past on the way to the bar, drinks are had, and ultimately I have to say something to him and disrupt his dinner, cause that's what you do in your 20s and not thinking.

So I walk over and he looks up and says "Yeah?" Being the punk I was at the time, I ask him, "Didn't you used to play for the Cowboys?"

His table goes silent, and he gave me this impossible glare, and we stand there for about a solid 5 seconds, not saying a word, but it's one of those 5 seconds that feels like it lasts about 5 minutes.

He kind of scoffs out "You must be from Dallas" and I smiled and said "Yes, sir." He laughed out loud and goes "Get the heck out of here, kid!" with this big grin on his face and kind of shakes his head, and I go "Yes, sir!" and pretty much ran away, hoping I hadn't soiled myself under the force of his glare.

That's ****ing awesome
PharmD4
AG
When I was 21 playing a poker tournament in Vegas, Brad Garrett walked by my table. I just knew him as the brother on Everybody Loves Raymond. He didn't look at me, and we never spoke. But I think I ended up in the black that day.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Junkhead said:

Bitter Old Man said:

Username checks out

Well, somebody had to break up the pissing match
aggiedata
AG
Who was the most famous person in the world during the 1970s? Mohammad Ali maybe?

My brother and I got to spend a couple of hours with him at his training camp near Pottsville, PA. We watched him train and spar in the ring. Then he came over and talked to us kids. I remember him putting his enormous fist on my my chin and yelling "Don't you cause no trouble, you hear!!" He was super nice and I still got a very nice autographed picture of him.

I grew up in NashVegas, so it was no big deal to see every country star around at the grocery or just out and about. So I was once on a plane from Nashville to Dallas with Johnny Cash. Yes, he was in all black leather. and Yes he was still pretty hammered. So we land in Dallas, and my gregarious uncle (Aggie Yell Leader from the 50s) meets us at the airport. Well he can't let that go unnoticed. So Uncle Bill yell out in his extremely loud Aggie Yell Voice "HEY JOHNNY, ALRIGHT!!!" Old Johnny Cash slowly tries to pivot around in his knee high black boots to see who the hell is yelling at him at 8 AM. Well it's Uncle Bill doing the Gig'Em sign at him. Oh golly. Johnny didn't look too pleased, then he stumbles off with his crew.

Nashville stories:

My "cousins" family bought Jerry Reed's old house in Nashville. It was still on the tour bus stops of Nashville stars. I'll never forget go carting around this acre front yard with a group of old ladies taking our picture. We would wave and say hi. I'm sure I'm in some album "Jerry Reed's Kid Go Carting"

Donna Fargo lived down the street. She would never give us kids candy at Halloween. We made sure she wasn't the happiest girl on our block, not to mention the entire USA!
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Who was the most famous person in the world during the 1970s? Mohammad Ali maybe?

My brother and I got to spend a couple of hours with him at his training camp near Pottsville, PA. We watched him train and spar in the ring. Then he came over and talked to us kids. I remember him putting his enormous fist on my my chin and yelling "Don't you cause no trouble, you hear!!" He was super nice and I still got a very nice autographed picture of him.

That's straight up amazing. He wasn't just the most famous person in the '70s, but one of the most famous of the entire second half of the century. You basically watched either the most famous or second most famous athlete in all of history train, and then he talked to you after. So cool.
aggiedata
AG
I remember the moment we stepped into the building where he was training. It was just a few of his people and my parents and brother and me. He yells out, "Who are those ugly kids you got with you?" I really just wanted to run away at that point. He was just joking of course. I hope anyway. I didn't expect anything more than just watching him punch the bag and do his workout. But he was very nice. Had a business like conversation with my dad, then clowned around with us kids. He gave us all individual 8x10 autographed pics. We never would ask for that. I had my 110 Kodak, but I didn't take a pic inside. I did however take a few outside. Here is his car with my brother standing by it.

Something you don't forget.
62strat
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

Junkhead said:

Bitter Old Man said:

Username checks out

Bitter Old Man
AG
If we had profile pictures, I would use that...
Agnzona
I forgot about Ali. About 5 or 6 years ago while still living in Scottsdale me and the wife go to a movie on a Friday in mid afternoon. It was opening day of one of the big summer action movies. A star wars or star track or Iron man, something along those lines. We get there buy some popcorn and when I turn around Ali is walking in. He was with a pretty young women (I assumed one if his daughters) and two body guards. I recall thinkinformation his entourage was rather small. He smiled at us. They went to the same movie we did. Nobody bothered him or approached him, I think both out of awe/respect and maybe also his frailness. I also remember thinking, why does he bother going when he can probably call the studio and get a private screening at his house.....
Agnzona
As a side note I swore into the Army in the same room Ali refused to in Houston. They had a photo of the event on the wall which I thought kind of odd.
Liquid Wrench
I've been in that building a bunch of times (to use the post office ), but until your post it never occurred to me that's where Ali had his famous moment.
BoneBoy
AG
1) James Dean when filming The Giant in Marfa. Chill Wills talked him into giving me his autograph, which he normally didn't do. I was 7 years old in 1955. Dean was killed in a car accident before it was released a year later.

2) I invited the members of Cheap Trick to play golf with me at a country club at which I was a member in San Angelo. I initially met them when I was the concert physician. They were a great group of guys and very down to earth. Rick Nielsen was hilarious and Robin Zander was very personable .Zander was the best golfer of the bunch. They just loved to play golf on different courses when they were touring, after they had quit doing drugs years before.

3) Kenny Burroughs,All Pro WR, Houston Oilers, and I got pretty close in San Angelo, where they had summer camp. After we met he enjoyed coming over to my house and just chilled watching TV and visiting.

4) Earl Campbell's youngest son, Tyler was one of my son's best friends in preschool, so I met him casually.

5) John Lucas in recovery

RC, Ken Sherman, Rick Perry at coaches night because I was friends of Tim Cassidy from playing golf before Coaches Night in Austin. Perry was in school when I was.

Kenny Burroughs was my favorite of all of them.
Sex Panther
AG
BoneBoy said:

1) James Dean when filming The Giant in Marfa. Chill Wills talked him into giving me his autograph, which he normally didn't do. I was 7 years old in 1955. Dean was killed in a car accident before it was released a year later.

Wow, that's pretty awesome. I'd probably have that autograph framed
MW03
AG
This thread
Sex Panther
AG
MW03 said:

This thread

We should change the name to Re-Focus

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.