****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,900,300 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be shocked if there is no sequel to this that includes many of still alive characters we all know.
Pendragon12
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Pendragon12 said:

Furlock Bones said:

so who of the season 8 defenders is ready to admit that D&D trashed this whole thing?

My only complaint was that these last two seasons were rushed. 8 more than 7, but 7 had some WTF moments as well for the sake of time.

I have no issue with the way they landed this monster. And even though it was rushed, I can see what they were attempting to accomplish throughout this season.

However, it is clear that D&D struggled without GRRM's source work. But I still didn't hate the season, nor did I hate their execution of it all. Could it have been better? Yes. And I think it would have felt better if they didn't have nearly 2 years of anticipation...it was bound to underwhelm with that timeline.

So, to me, "trashed" is too harsh. The season could have been better, but I don't think they ruined the series. I plan on rewatching the whole series to give this last season a fair judgement with it all wrapped in with the others.
i'm currently rewatching with my wife who midway through the last season decided she wanted to watch. rewatching parallel with the ending just makes it worse.
To be fair, it sounds like you hated the season. As someone who didn't hate the season (and for the most part, enjoyed it), I think I'll wait to reserve my judgement.
JJxvi
AG
wangus12 said:

bonfarr said:

If Bran/3EyedRaven can see the future he would have known he would ultimately be crowned King. Did Bran orchestrate everything that occurred with that goal in mind? Did he warg into Dany and make her go mad and burn the city down? He made Hodor and King Aerys go nuts so not impossible. Bran was the best player in the Game of Thrones everyone else was just a pawn.
He didn't make King Aerys go nuts.
Or did he? LMAO
Broba Fett
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I will be shocked if there is no sequel to this that includes many of still alive characters we all know.

Folks are too busy with prequel stories
FTACO97
AG
I was a defender the past couple of weeks, but that finale was pathetic. Everything after Jon kills Dany was just laughable.

"If you're expecting a happy ending, you're not paying attention" - Oh, look....a happy ending for everyone not named Dany!

I had planned to read the books after this all ended....now have no interest in doing so. Also have no interest in ever watching the show again.

I'm really having some concerns with D&D doing any Star Wars films. Sounds disastrous now.
bobinator
AG
My overall feeling on last night is that it was like a great punt out of your own endzone. After everything else that happened this and last season that was about as good of an ending as we could have hoped for.
gigemJTH12
AG
bobinator said:

My overall feeling on last night is that it was like a great punt out of your own endzone. After everything else that happened this and last season that was about as good of an ending as we could have hoped for.

This is really solid analogizing.
agsquirrel97
AG
I would just like to say, BEST WEEK EVER!

The finale sucked, but it has almost been 7 full days since aTmAg went away.

PS. If it was a 7 day ban you might want to find something else to do this evening, because this place might look like King's Landing post Dany around 4PM this afternoon.
In absentia lucis, Tenebrae vin****.
DollahBillzYo!
Oh well. I still don't understand why they had to rush the seasons like that.
Furlock Bones
AG
**********zYo! said:

Oh well. I still don't understand why they had to rush the seasons like that.

D&D made that choice. No one else. They clearly did it so they could move on to Star Wars.
Quad Dog
AG
bonfarr said:

If Bran/3EyedRaven can see the future he would have known he would ultimately be crowned King. Did Bran orchestrate everything that occurred with that goal in mind? Did he warg into Dany and make her go mad and burn the city down? He made Hodor and King Aerys go nuts so not impossible. Bran was the best player in the Game of Thrones everyone else was just a pawn.
Bran should have pulled the Keyser Soze ending and got up out of his chair after being named king.
Broba Fett
Spoilers without context.

Cepe
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I actually think Arya's adventures west would make a great spin off.

Could be like a medieval Star Trek - boldly going
Robert C. Christian
AG
My opinion, D&D dont suck as showrunners. GRRM isn't putting out any more books because, even though he knows the ending (as shown in the show), even he cant figure out how to get there. He literally wrote Dany into a corner (look at Mereen on a map)!

Can't fault these guys for not executing the routine and landing when the guy who started it all has given up on it.
chase128
AG
Oh my goodness, you're upset haha
bonfarr
AG
I think he did.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
A. Solzhenitsyn
blindey said:

My take: all 8 seasons are excellent, watchable seasons of TV.

But plot-wise, once they ran out of GRRM source material, the series felt more like an Aggie wide receiver sprinting alone down the sideline towards the end zone only to inexplicably drop the ball before crossing the goal line and the ball bounces harmlessly out of the end zone for a touchback.
pretty solid comparison, but I would change it to "fumble the ball out of bounds at the 1, run three inexplicable pass plays from the shotgun, then kick a field goal to go down by three with two minutes left in the game".
Broba Fett
chase128 said:

Oh my goodness, you're upset haha

Not really. Just posting what I'm finding on other places that I think is funny (and in some cases accurate)
Old Tom Morris
I thought they did a pretty good job of avoiding some of the other pitfalls that George RR Martin got himself into, like Lady Stoneheart. So even if Martin struggled to get out of the corner he painted himself into, I think they would shaped it well for the show. I think the biggest thing they could have used would be some snippets of dialogue between characters at some of the key points of the stretch run - better banter, develop the characters' thought processes for the audience more effectively, etc. I think that could have resolved so much that people have an issue with.
A. Solzhenitsyn
Old Tom Morris said:

Lady Stoneheart.
holy ****, I completely forgot about her. did they ever do anything with that?
Old Tom Morris
No. Thank goodness. Just ignored that ridiculous line. That's where I think they are taking it in the shorts somewhat unfairly, only taking flak for the mechanical nature of the end of the story where they had no source material while now getting no credit for fixing a lot of the garbage that Martin wrote.
Texaggie7nine
There would not be the marriage alliances because Joffrey was not garunteed the throne. Rob's brother would more likely get the vote than a boy king. Or Tywin Lannister or Ned Stark.

The fact that Joffrey happened makes it even more likely that a boy king, especially spoiled prince would ever get elected king.
7nine
HouseDivided06
AG
"Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from the mandate of the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."

Sounds like they got the ending from Dennis.
exitone
AG
Here is a nice look at what Brienne wrote in the book at the end about Jaime....

https://screenrant.com/game-thrones-finale-what-brienne-wrote-about-jaime/
Al Bula
AG
I choose to think of this a mindf ck on Jean Grey courtesy of the Hellfire Club. Jean thinks she is medieval queen in another world that has suffered loss, tragedy and heartbreak and she is about to flip out slaughter entire galaxies augmented by the Phoenix force.

That would be a radically better explanation than the steaming pile of horsesh t on TV last night.
An Ag in CO
AG
The group I watched the series finale with were all pretty pleased with how the season progressed and where the main characters ended. No inexplicable plot twists (though plenty of plot twists) and quite a few references back to seasons 1 and 2 that some people watching the show seem to have forgotten (to the extent they're unhappy with how a character ended up).

And now they have four paths forward for sequels - Arya and the unknown west, Jon and the way north, Sansa and the north, and Bran and the six kingdoms. Should allow for better storytelling than prequels where the all-important canon can really restrict where you can take a story. We'll see how long it takes before one of these gets consideration.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

My opinion, D&D dont suck as showrunners. GRRM isn't putting out any more books because, even though he knows the ending (as shown in the show), even he cant figure out how to get there. He literally wrote Dany into a corner (look at Mereen on a map)!

Can't fault these guys for not executing the routine and landing when the guy who started it all has given up on it.

Hmm, I used to think that and then i read an excellent thread that's pieced together how the story will go from a dance with dragons that makes a lot more sense than the show from season 6 forward.

Dorne burns bridge with Dany after Quentin dies.

Aegon conquers Dorne, teams up with Euron who has the dragon horn from his adventures in Valyria.

They conquer King's landing after Cersei blows up the sept.

Dany comes to Westeros with the north to fight night
King and to challenge Aegons rule.

She goes crazy bc she thinks Aegon is a fake Targaryen, AND FINDS OUT Jon is a Targaryen.

Seems very clean but a much longer story. It could even give Tyrion and Varys some relevance politically.
Agnzona
Texaggie7nine said:

It's not perfect but a system of kings being chosen based on what they have done is better than being king simply because of who your parents are.

Way better than some aquatic nymph giving you a sword.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Ervin Burrell
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

I get they wanted to get Jon to go North, but...

We see Greyworm executing everyone around for his queen, and then he for some reason takes Jon as a prisoner when he finds out he kills Dany?

Then Jon is banished to the nights watch in the north (which has no point of existing), to avoid a fight with the unsullied... but the unsullied just leave anyway, so couldn't Sansa just let Jon off since the Wall is part of the North and she's Queen up there?
Why does that part confuse you? GW was super loyal to Dany so you're super confused that he took Jon prisoner when he learns he killed her?

edit - unless you're confused as to why he didn't just kill him, then I'm right there with you.
powerbelly
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

Yep
bobinator
AG
I think the question is why he didn't kill him. Not why he'd take him prisoner.
Ervin Burrell
AG
bobinator said:

I think the question is why he didn't kill him. Not why he'd take him prisoner.
That makes sense.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

FightinTexasAg15 said:

I get they wanted to get Jon to go North, but...

We see Greyworm executing everyone around for his queen, and then he for some reason takes Jon as a prisoner when he finds out he kills Dany?

Then Jon is banished to the nights watch in the north (which has no point of existing), to avoid a fight with the unsullied... but the unsullied just leave anyway, so couldn't Sansa just let Jon off since the Wall is part of the North and she's Queen up there?
Why does that part confuse you? GW was super loyal to Dany so you're super confused that he took Jon prisoner when he learns he killed her?

He is confused that he takes him prisoner as opposed to just killing him for it.

There is nobody to stop it at that point - it would have taken a while for that "court" to convene as we've seen Tyrion and jon were captive for a while (beard growth, etc.).

JJxvi
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

There would not be the marriage alliances because Joffrey was not garunteed the throne. Rob's brother would more likely get the vote than a boy king. Or Tywin Lannister or Ned Stark.

The fact that Joffrey happened makes it even more likely that a boy king, especially spoiled prince would ever get elected king.
I believe the opposite both regarding marriage alliances and choosing boy kings. Voting for a child king gives you years of maneuvering room with a weaker crown, and maybe opens up opportunities to get your own family a stronger alliance with the crown (ie if you have a Margaery Tyrell and a wifeless king, for example).

Even in the universe we are given, Joffrey wasnt murdered for a better king, he was murdered to put a younger more compliant king on the throne. You seem to think that from now on the electors are going to vote for the "best possible king" and thats pretty much what I find laughable.
Texaggie7nine
Bran knows it's a better system and he knows all, so...
7nine
First Page Last Page
Page 402 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.