****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,171 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
Boiling Denim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tbh it would have made more sense to just have Jon exiled from Westeros. Forget the Night's Watch or duties etc. Him leaving for the freefolk wouldn't require any hoop jumping then. Just a poorly executed plot point...again

All in all the framework was there for a good ending but poor execution ruined a lot of it.

Hopefully the backlash against D&D and anything they do in the future is impactful. I think what they did to the end of this series is pretty unprofessional.

Disney should have a quick trigger finger with their Star Wars series
jeffdjohnson
Good episode. Season 8 is getting overly picked apart. For me the spectacle outweighs many of the rushed or poor story telling elements. "Blame" GRRM if anyone. The show runners had the skill to craft the best television show of all time when they had books as reference. They didn't lose their skill. They lost their source. Frankly, if GRRM himself can't write a satisfying ending, then Seasons 7/8 were not going to live up to what preceded it. Even still some of the best scenes in the entire series happened in Season 8. Arya and the Night King. The John and Dany kiss of death. Yeah it wasn't as good as Seasons 1-6 but it was still a damn good show.
WestAustinAg
AG
Urban Ag said:

To everyone that is making it personal, whether you loved it, hated it, or are somewhere in the middle, seriously, get a life.

It's art. It's a book series. It's a tv show. Honestly, this entire thread makes me fear even more for the future of this country.

Agreed. We can't just respectfully disagree with each other's opinions. We have to attack those with those opinions.

Art is by its very nature subjective. Some loved this ending...some didn't. Some loved TLJ...some didn't.
WestAustinAg
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah, Jon basically disappearing out of King's Landing and being MIA for all of that and then showing up in the north would have been a great ending.
Especially if he could have lived like a hermit on an island where he will some day be found pissed off at the world and drinking milk from the weird cows.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Solid way to bookend the series.

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Glad to know that D&D attended movie making 101.
Furlock Bones
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Good episode. Season 8 is getting overly picked apart. For me the spectacle outweighs many of the rushed or poor story telling elements. "Blame" GRRM if anyone. The show runners had the skill to craft the best television show of all time when they had books as reference. They didn't lose their skill. They lost their source. Frankly, if GRRM himself can't write a satisfying ending, then Seasons 7/8 were not going to live up to what preceded it. Even still some of the best scenes in the entire series happened in Season 8. Arya and the Night King. The John and Dany kiss of death. Yeah it wasn't as good as Seasons 1-6 but it was still a damn good show.
it's not all of that though. D&D made the decision to cut down the final 2 seasons. that plays a huge part in what happened.
WestAustinAg
AG
One thing I was really expecting: that Tyrion walks out to the new council on future Kings and not know what the hell has happened for the past month.

It's obvious he's been held for weeks...but it would have been more fun if he hadn't already known that Dany was dead and Jon was captured. For that matter he shouldn't have been the one to have a plan all worked out that would but Bran on the throne.

I also wouldn't have put Bran on the throne. I would rather it have been Jon for his character, Sansa for her brilliant politics and strength, or even Gendry who was Robert's son as the consumate outsider.
Urban Ag
AG
blindey said:

My take: all 8 seasons are excellent, watchable seasons of TV.

But plot-wise, once they ran out of GRRM source material, the series felt more like an Aggie wide receiver sprinting alone down the sideline towards the end zone only to inexplicably drop the ball before crossing the goal line and the ball bounces harmlessly out of the end zone for a touchback.
I agree and disagree.

Hardhome was off the books but before Jon was killed (in the books) but was handled very well.

Cersei and Qyburn's execution of destroying the Great Sept, taking out the Faith Militant, Kevin, and almost all of the Tyrell's was absolutely nails.

Dany taking out the Khals and winning the Dothraki over was outstanding although I admit that Jorah and Darrio searching her out added pretty much nothing to that story.

Winning the battle of Slavers Bay was great. BotB was an awesome episode and great ending to that story but the Vale riding in to save the day was predictable.

The Dorne storyline was absolutely terrible. Just terrible.

I thought S7 was greatness except for the dialogue during the zombie hunt expedition and at the meeting with Cersei at KL (completely cringer worthy). And Kenyan distance runner Gendry + light speed ravens and dragons pushed the time/distance aspect of the show over the cliff.

I'd give them 60/40 on everything off the books. IMO.
BowSowy
AG
Cepe said:

A few of my thoughts:

1) I'm good with Bran being king. It's called Game of Thrones and he played the game better than anyone.

2) I don't think D&D knew Bran was the one until later in the series and thought "oh ****" and had to figure out how to make it happen.

3) I think they tried to have a huge plot twist at the end with Bran but executed it poorly.

4) I think they got lost in over-directing the final season (11 straight weeks of filming every night for the Long Night!!) and lost track of the actual story line when they had to edit it together.
How? His character was laughably useless almost the entire series. He didn't scheme, he didn't build relationships. He didn't play anything in the show
TX_AG_10
AG
WestAustinAg said:

One thing I was really expecting: that Tyrion walks out to the new council on future Kings and not know what the hell has happened for the past month.

It's obvious he's been held for weeks...but it would have been more fun if he hadn't already known that Dany was dead and Jon was captured. For that matter he shouldn't have been the one to have a plan all worked out that would but Bran on the throne.

I also wouldn't have put Bran on the throne. I would rather it have been Jon for his character, Sansa for her brilliant politics and strength, or even Gendry who was Robert's son as the consumate outsider.
What if this was all part of the story Bran was telling him back in S8E2 right before the battle. Maybe it was Bran's plan all along, just had to wait for Tyrion to get infront of a group and pitch it.
Furlock Bones
AG
my biggest problems with S7 were related to timing (apparently Jet travel was invented in S7) and the liberal use of deus ex machina. but, there was some really good stuff otherwise.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Urban Ag said:

blindey said:

My take: all 8 seasons are excellent, watchable seasons of TV.

But plot-wise, once they ran out of GRRM source material, the series felt more like an Aggie wide receiver sprinting alone down the sideline towards the end zone only to inexplicably drop the ball before crossing the goal line and the ball bounces harmlessly out of the end zone for a touchback.
I agree and disagree.

Hardhome was off the books but before Jon was killed (in the books) but was handled very well.

Cersei and Qyburn's execution of destroying the Great Sept, taking out the Faith Militant, Kevin, and almost all of the Tyrell's was absolutely nails.

Dany taking out the Khals and winning the Dothraki over was outstanding although I admit that Jorah and Darrio searching her out added pretty much nothing to that story.

Winning the battle of Slavers Bay was great. BotB was an awesome episode and great ending to that story but the Vale riding in to save the day was predictable.

The Dorne storyline was absolutely terrible. Just terrible.

I thought S7 was greatness except for the dialogue during the zombie hunt expedition and at the meeting with Cersei at KL (completely cringer worthy). And Kenyan distance runner Gendry + light speed ravens and dragons pushed the time/distance aspect of the show over the cliff.

I'd give them 60/40 on everything off the books. IMO.
All excellent points and I agree. I just wanted to sum the whole thing up in a nutshell and that was the best thing my pettifogger brain could spit out.
Boiling Denim
BowSowy said:

Cepe said:

A few of my thoughts:

1) I'm good with Bran being king. It's called Game of Thrones and he played the game better than anyone.

2) I don't think D&D knew Bran was the one until later in the series and thought "oh ****" and had to figure out how to make it happen.

3) I think they tried to have a huge plot twist at the end with Bran but executed it poorly.

4) I think they got lost in over-directing the final season (11 straight weeks of filming every night for the Long Night!!) and lost track of the actual story line when they had to edit it together.
How? His character was laughably useless almost the entire series. He didn't scheme, he didn't build relationships. He didn't play anything in the show
I'll take God's quote from Futurama

God explains to Bender that being a God isn't easy. "if you do too much people get dependent on you. And if you do nothing, they lose hope. When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Fenrir
Yeah but that entire episode was written around that premise. Season 8 was merely a desperate attempt to get from point a to point z as fast as possible while making sure to slow down long enough to see a few milestones along the way. Not a chance they thought that out.
92Ag95
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Martin got his money and got lazy. He won't ever finish even though he claims he will.
wannaggie
Old Tom Morris said:

I thought they did a pretty good job of avoiding some of the other pitfalls that George RR Martin got himself into, like Lady Stoneheart. So even if Martin struggled to get out of the corner he painted himself into, I think they would shaped it well for the show. I think the biggest thing they could have used would be some snippets of dialogue between characters at some of the key points of the stretch run - better banter, develop the characters' thought processes for the audience more effectively, etc. I think that could have resolved so much that people have an issue with.
This is my actual complaint with this season. I read the books, I am a reader, I read lots and lots of books...but I'm not one of the crowd of people *****ing about the ending because it didn't go the way I wanted. It's the author's story to tell. I didn't have any particular expectations of how it would end, and anyone who settled into their own expectations clearly didn't pay attention to the previous ~3000 pages.

I actually don't have any problem with the primary plot moves of the final TV season. It's just that that's ALL they were -- primary plot moves in a final TV season. I buy where the characters ended up, and I think it would make a very good ending in book format where you can have the author/narrators fill in so much more of their thoughts and feelings and reactions, so a shift in character can happen incrementally over 200 pages which feels natural because it probably takes an average reader several hours stretched out over several days of work, family, hobbies, etc. to "live" through those 200 pages, as opposed to watching a TV show where in less than 5 minutes of screen time we jump from the aftermath of the Night King to oh hey everyone we're sailing into King's Landing oh **** half our people/dragons just died.

1) Dany going mad isn't "wrong", but the way the producers paced it on screen was wrong.

2) Cersei not "getting a better ending" isn't "wrong" - it's actually PERFECTLY fitting for someone whose lust for power and security for her loved ones to be literally killed by the physical structure she fought so hard to seize, collapsing around her, crushing her with her last and dearest loved one in the entire universe - but doing it from "I'm queen of Westeros and will stand here on the balcony and not bow to the Interloper!" to "I'm walking down stairs oh hi Jamie my dear I'm scared oh now I'm dead peace out yall" was wrong.

3) Jon killing Dany isn't "wrong", but Jon pacing in mere minutes from "She's our queen" to "annd Ima stab that ho" was wrong.

4) Also, having Jon survive the wrath of the Dothraki/Unsullied isn't "wrong", but going in like 30 seconds from Drogon flying off with her corpse to The Gang's All Here from the entire continent and now let's get this denouement party started, with zero - ZERO - on-screen reaction from anyone at all to the death of their queen, was wrong. (This follows on the people who were shocked we got no time for the Sansa/Arya reaction to JonAegon, which I thought was regrettable, but not a big deal in a rushed season. But that approach in many scenes is why the entirety of this season provides little satisfaction.)

5) Bran becoming King Bran isn't "wrong", but going in one short speech by the thoroughly-discredited Tyrion, from "Tra la la hey nonny nonny we're the constantly jousting lords and ladies of our separate regions and we've been poisoning and slaughtering each other for centuries to become the ultimate ruler" to "oh hey let's have a civilized chat and then elect someone based on who has the most wisdom" was wrong.
Cepe
AG
Boiling Denim said:

BowSowy said:

Cepe said:

A few of my thoughts:

I'll take God's quote from Futurama

God explains to Bender that being a God isn't easy. "if you do too much people get dependent on you. And if you do nothing, they lose hope. When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
A couple of examples already on this thread are making sure Arya has her blade and leaking Jon's true lineage that lead directly to to Dany trashing Kings Landing. . .
Furlock Bones
AG
of all the things the council did determining the fate of Westeros, why did Dorne just agree to stay apart of the kingdoms when the North is leaving.

Quote:

Dorne is the southernmost of Westeros's Seven Kingdoms, and is ethnically distinct and particularly foreign-seeming to the other six. It has a hot climate and is known for its fierce tradition of political independence the Targaryens who invaded Westeros couldn't conquer it, even with dragons.
they are easily the most likely to want out.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I've made a whole new thread for the final standings of the Game of Game of Thrones contest, since this thread is going so quickly. But for those around, here it is. Congrats,Geoff!

All hail Geoff H., King of the Contest, Lord of the Manor, Queen of my Double-Wide Trailer, and Champion of the Season 8 Game of Game of Thrones Champion. Geoff broke a three-way tie for first by earning 10 points with his prediction that there would be 1 dragon left to end the season, and that was the difference Sunday night as he finished with 112 points. Texas Aggie '99 finished second, jumping from fifth with 106 points, followed by AgSquirrel97, who led the contest after every week but this one, SpreadSheetAg and Sam S all tied at 105.

A huge commendation goes to Coach RTM, the Bronn of this contest. Two weeks ago he had 35 points, and he finished with 99, one of just a handful of players to record 20+ points on the final episode. Cheers to all who played, and I'll see you back here in September for the "This is Us" Pick'em.

1) Geoff H. 112

2) Texas Aggie '99 106

3) AgSquirrel97 105
Spreadsheet Ag 105
Sam S 105

6) Coach RTM 99

7) Brian Earl Spilner 93

8) wangus12 92

9) Walton Loads 91

10) Urban Ag 89

11) oldag00 88

12) Derek J. 86

13) Andy W. 82

14) Rex Racer 81

15) Myles Moore 80

16) TxRunner97 73
Saint Arnold 73
ChipolteMonger 73

Iron Throne - Someone Else (+10)
# of remaining dragons - 1 (+10)
Flashbacks - No (+10)
Death Pool - Dany (+3)

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
92Ag95 said:

jeffdjohnson said:

Martin got his money and got lazy. He won't ever finish even though he claims he will.
He's an old, fat, really super rich guy at this point. He probably spends his days fielding questions from hard-core sci-fi/fantasy nerds and his nights bedding hard-core sci-fi/fantasy cosplay hotties. If I were him, I might consider losing some weight but otherwise, I wouldn't bother finishing those books either.
A. Solzhenitsyn
92Ag95 said:

jeffdjohnson said:

yep. he's spending money on twinkies and Cheetos and laughing his way to the grave.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
wannaggie said:

a rushed season.
This is the whole point in a nutshell. Seasons 7-8 needed to be more like seasons 7-10 with at least 10 episodes each.
A. Solzhenitsyn
my hope is that after he croaks, someone is able to come in and completely disregard the television show, and finish the story in a completely different and awesome way. I also want a pony.
CostanzaWallet
AG
I can't believe some people are so hung up on the Night's Watch. Jon got to castle black, there were no other night's watch men there, the freefolk are waiting for him, he leaves with the freefolk, and shuts the gate behind him. Homeboy ain't coming back, he's living out his days north of the wall. They even showed a blade of grass, indicating that the snow will melt and the freefolk will be enjoying some choice lands.

He may even find himself a new red headed wildling woman to make babies with.
cbr
AG
lol at people insulting me and others. pathetic.

this show was without doubt briliiant for 7 seasons.

they took 2 years to do this season, and episodes 1 and 2 were ok, but certainly in the bottom 10 episodes overall.

Episode 3 was really entertaining IMO, though it had really dumb battle tactics again, and some weird plot holes.

Episode 4 was total, complete, unadulterated trash that only a TOTAL MORON could have put out there. There is no defending the moronery of it all.

'no big deal saving the world' ....ok, fits the theme in concept.
'dragon dies' ...ok in concept,
they try to show mercy...ok in concept, necessary really,

but the EXECUTION of it was HORRENDOUS.

Episode 5 - highly controversial, which is ok, but I loved it.

could have roadmapped things better, but very entertaining. Made me hope 4 was an aberration.

NOPE.

Episode 6 - history really has no comparison to the horrible flameout.

yes, dany had to die.... ok in concept - but making her into a cheap shallow 'first order' idiot, and then killing her with no drama, dialogue, anything.. i actually laughed out loud multiple times, except noticeably when the show was TRYING to be funny.

i wont go into the rest. 'what the result is' is ok, but the execution of it was SO BAD.

I'm out.

BenFiasco14
AG
A. Solzhenitsyn said:

my hope is that after he croaks, someone is able to come in and completely disregard the television show, and finish the story in a completely different and awesome way. I also want a pony.
He's already explicitly said that, per his will, nobody will be able to finish the books other than him.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Urban Ag
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

I'm honestly not trying to play GOT goalie anymore but this is a really great point. If you read the books you know that that GRRM absolutely wrote his literary masterpiece in A Storm of Swords. Not only his best work, the best GOT novel, but for me, easily in the top five books I have ever read. He wrapped up numerous character and story arcs and left the book series in prime position to be finished out masterfully. Then he proceeded to completely and totally blow the books series out in every which way imaginable such to the degree that most believe he really has no idea how to reel it all in and finish them. D&D were hired to adapt a series from the books. When the books ran out they were left with a road map that showed "you are here" and "you need to get to here" but no directions between start and finish.
Bobaloo
Just one man's opinion. The best stretch of season 8 was the knighting of Brienne (sp) through the post Long Night speech by Jon Snow. I don't think the rest of the season had the depth of good storytelling like the previous seasons. Really a shame because the cast is excellent. Overall the series is one of my favorites. I'll miss it!
A. Solzhenitsyn
BenFiasco14 said:

A. Solzhenitsyn said:

He's already explicitly said that, per his will, nobody will be able to finish the books other than him.
well *****

can I still have a pony, or are you going to ruin that for me too?
JJxvi
AG
Sansa: "No, the North could never follow a king like... :::checks notes::: ...er, Brandon Stark"
BenFiasco14
AG
A. Solzhenitsyn said:

BenFiasco14 said:

A. Solzhenitsyn said:

well *****

can I still have a pony, or are you going to ruin that for me too?
No, you can only have a jackass and a honeycomb
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
chipotle
Bran the Trans
Kozmozag
Starks won big.
JJxvi
AG
Kozmozag said:

Starks won big.
The title of GRRMs final book was originally planned to be "A Time for Wolves" so...presumably yeah the plan was always for a big Stark comeback.
First Page Last Page
Page 404 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.