****** Game of Thrones - Season 8 ******

1,892,236 Views | 14667 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prosperdick
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaroonStain said:

SoTXAg09 said:

Yeah the fire **** gets old. GRRM has already said Dany's fire transformation was a one-time miracle, not a "fireproof Targaryen" thing.

Except for burning all of the Khals that other time she walked out of fire and did not get burned...
Not from the books
Al Bula
AG
PatAg said:

MaroonStain said:

SoTXAg09 said:

Yeah the fire **** gets old. GRRM has already said Dany's fire transformation was a one-time miracle, not a "fireproof Targaryen" thing.

Except for burning all of the Khals that other time she walked out of fire and did not get burned...
Not from the books
careful... I forgot which clowns on this thread get super asshurt about mentioning books, but your post will certainly trigger someone.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

well ok.... honesty is appreciated.... but now go stand in the imaginary corner and don't talk for 3 hours and 8 mins......

KidDoc
AG
I rewatched episode 1 and noted that Dany mentioned something was wrong with the dragons because they weren't eating as much. I assume they are grieving their brother but didn't know if there were other theories the Google machine.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Sumlins Pool Guy
Have to wonder if the "book crowd" will accept the show ending when GRRM kicks the bucket and they remain a few books shy of a series
The Dog Lord
AG
Sumlins Pool Guy said:

Have to wonder if the "book crowd" will accept the show ending when GRRM kicks the bucket and they remain a few books shy of a series

I will never accept it! I know the show runners know the main storyline/ending, but I still wonder if there will be some differences between the book and show.

I think we will get Winds if Winter, but I'm not sure if we will ever see the conclusion. I hope they at least release his notes/outline if that happens though.
redline248
AG
Should I pop my GoT King in the North beer, or save it for Ep3?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Eliminatus
AG
Sumlins Pool Guy said:

The "book crowd" has not accepted pretty much anything for years now.

I know, I am one of them.
The Dog Lord
AG
I think the secondary pieces could still make it seem somewhat different though. I mean, hell, Sansa likely isn't going to be raped by Ramsey in the books since they married her friend to him instead (posing as fake-Arya).
Hey...so.. um
redline248 said:

Episode 3 IMO.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248 said:

One tonight, one in ep3.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Book readers will only get more smug once the final book releases and they can call that the "real ending".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If Dany asks for proof of Jon's lineage, will they send for Howland Reed?

Probably not, but I'm just hoping he has some role to play.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

tv or book?

has howland even been shown in the show?

pure (hopeful) speculation:

no....not an elder one anyway...... but his kids Jojen and Meera were.....I'm assuming they have parents even in the show (jk) so he exists per se.

So apparently Meera has returned to their home at Greywater Watch (she told Bran that when she left in S7) which is way far south of Winterfell just before The Neck.

I've heard speculation that she might then mention Bran's abilities (off camera) at which point Howland might realize he would be needed at Winterfell to support the claim - so he might show up there.

That's a lot of speculation though.

There were new roles cast in S8 but none descriptive enough to say they were definitely Howland Reed or not.

We will wait and see.
Farmer1906
AG
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

tv or book?

Just in the flashback with Arthur Dayne.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
This is young Howland Reed on the left with young Ned Stark at the Tower of Joy.

The previous three eyed raven identified him by name to Bran as they watched.

PatAg
AG
Shife said:

PatAg said:

MaroonStain said:

SoTXAg09 said:

Not from the books
careful... I forgot which clowns on this thread get super asshurt about mentioning books, but your post will certainly trigger someone.
I guess in theory he could still write that scene, or something like that anyways.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How would Howland Reed NOT know who Jon is?

He was at the ToJ, knew Lyanna was in the tower, and saw Ned come back a baby.
Farmer1906
AG
C@LAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

tv or book?

Just in the flashback with Arthur Dayne.
yeah, that is what I recalled - he was there as a non-speaking part in the flashback,.

As it is, there is no reason to assume that Howland knows Jon's status in the TV show, as we would expect Ned to keep his nephew's identity secret.

I still think it comes down to:
1. The diary from the Sept
2. The dragons accepting Jon

to win Dany over.

The northmen will likely buy into Bran's pronouncement easily enough, as they still believe in Greenseers and whatnot, but to convince Dany I think it will fall to #1 and #2 above.

I'd say it's pretty easy to assume he knows. Ned causally walks out with a baby and not his sister. Reed just stays closes his eyes and ears all way back to the Neck.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Well...... that strikes me as odd.

Howland Reed was there and survived. I think he would know that Ned was taking the child of his sister Lyanna back to Winterfell.

He didn't just ride off after the fight and not know what happened next. He would have known Ned was taking the child and likely Ned would have talked about what he planned to do with the child as they rode (weeks to reach Greywater Watch from Dorne).

I can't imagine Howland does not know. and anything he needs to know about the status of Jon Snow I think is pretty common knowledge now throughout the north.

One other interesting tidbit to me upon rethinking this.

Bran identifies his father of course.
the 3ER identifies Howland Reed but not any of the other knights there with Ned and Howland.
Bran also recognizes Sir Arthur Dayne the most badass knight who fights 4 of them and nearly wins

Why identify Howland Reed at all if it is not pertinent to any of the rest of the story????

Show watchers do not need to know some random guys name - and book readers would know but the show has explicitly written out many many many characters that are useless to the story.

It just seems to me the reason to name him then is so you can use him again. A simple reminder in the previously on part before an episode and you can establish who he is pretty easily - then another flashback where he tells Howland and older Howland shows up.

We'll see. I've given up on many characters but not that one - I still think it's pertinent and can help validate.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Created by midichlorians? Genius.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I just really enjoy that Ned trusted Howland so much that he literally is the one living person who ever knew.

They must have been really good friends, especially with how Jojen mentions the only time he ever saw him cry was when he heard about Ned's death.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Melisandre. Whew.
Stive
AG
They could have just named him because he's the father of Brans two traveling companions. That gives him an additional connection for the watchers and the two Reed kids.

If he's never mentioned again that would make sense enough for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Popcorn is made, drink is poured. Let's do this.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Stive said:

They could have just named him because he's the father of Brans two traveling companions. That gives him an additional connection for the watchers and the two Reed kids.

If he's never mentioned again that would make sense enough for me.

Possibly.... although highly disconnected references.

I doubt most show watchers put that together at the time.

S3E2 - that is when Jojen said his dad cried when he mentioned the vision of Ned dying - and Bran says your dad was Howland Reed he saved my father or whatever.

S6E3 - that was the Tower of Joy flashback and the 3ER actually says he is "Meera's father". But Bran does not mention Jojen mentioning him at that point.

So more than 3 years apart we have 2 references.

I suppose though it could be that simple - and the fact that he was the only other one to survive besides Ned. but that also makes me suspicious.

First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 420

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.