Oathbreaker- Stormlight Archive 32 chapter release

11,570 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PatAg
BigBrother
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's Nov 17th.
maverick2076
Dammit, you're right. I had gotten an email from Amazon saying that the Brandon Sanderson book I had preordered had its release date changed to Oct. 17. I just glanced at it and didn't notice it was referring to Edgedancer.
Chase McGuire
http://www.17thshard.com/news/brandon-news/oathbringer-spoiler-free-review-r350/

Soon.
BigBrother
AG
The chapter releases have been amazing thus far. The 17th can't get here fast enough.

maverick2076
I'm only halfway through book one on my reread. Crap!
heddleston
AG
Finished my Words of Radiance re-read and Edgedancer over the weekend. No other sports I give a hoot about in beteeen now and the 17th. I cant wait 10 more days! Maybe i should beat a zelda game or something to tide me over.

Also, been listening to the podcast "The Legendarium" theyve been a great companion to read along with as they go over lots of fantasy novels, including The Cosmere and The Wheel of Time.
Dawale
The release date is November 14th, unless you are counting shipping time to get the book.
BigBrother
AG
Dawale said:

The release date is November 14th, unless you are counting shipping time to get the book.
Actually I wasn't. Kindle delivery is instant. Thank you for the very positive correction.
CapCityAg89
AG
How'd this not get bumped today?! Re-reading Part 1. The third Kal chapter at home is just awesome.
AgHawkeye
AG
Audiobook is the 16th but I'm only 25% through re-listen of WoR so I will be late to the party.
Vince Blake
Started Oathbringer on Audible this morning. Right off the bat, the Dalinar backstory is going to be a trip.
Micah97
AG
I have a signed copy coming to me via USPS. Should be here tomorrow or Thursday. Can't wait.
maverick2076
Oathbringer is on my Kindle waiting for me to finish rereading Words of Radiance. I'm so excited for this book!
heddleston
AG
pretty stoked to get to see the Blackthorn wreck some Alethi fools
BigBrother
AG
I'm 40% through. It has some huge revelations already. Fantastic.
AgLaw
AG
Had mine (hard copy) delivered to the office, and it's just sitting on my desk begging to be read. I'm just wrapping up The Hero of Ages, and Oathbringer is next. Can't wait.
Absolute
AG
Delivered on kindle. Finishing up my current read, then starting this for travel over Thanksgiving next week.
PatAg
AG
Do we want to start a new thread for the book or here. Was great
titanmaster_race
I went to the book signing today at Murder by the Book in Houston. It was insane! Over 500 people. The bookstore ordered extra copies in anticipation of the large crowd, and even those quickly sold out today.

The signing started at 2pm with a talk and Q&A session. I finally got my copy signed at 5:45. Brandon Sanderson was incredibly nice. He signed Oathbringer as well as hard copies of The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance.
KALALL
AG
Just finished it. Sanderson hit another one out of the park. The sides got a lot more complicated in this book.
CapCityAg89
AG
ETA 2020 on the next one. Crap.
maverick2076
And it'll still be out before the 3rd Pat Rothfuss book and the next Game of Thrones book.
maverick2076
Just finished Edgedancer. If you skipped it, you made a mistake. Lift might now be my favorite character.

Now it's finally time to start Oathbringer.
bangobango
AG
Oathbringer hardback on sale for $13 on Amazon right now.
jarz94
AG
Any idea if or when Graphic Audio will release their audiobook version? WoR through Graphic Audio was so much better than Michael Kramer
Prophet00
AG
Just finished it. What a ride! I'll need to reread it a couple of times to catch everything, but the pace certainly felt amped up, making it hard to put down. Almost felt a little down, knowing that it'll be another year or two before continuing the story. Hopefully we'll have some more interim short stories a la Edgedancer.
CapCityAg89
AG
Prophet00 said:

Just finished it. What a ride! I'll need to reread it a couple of times to catch everything, but the pace certainly felt amped up, making it hard to put down. Almost felt a little down, knowing that it'll be another year or two before continuing the story. Hopefully we'll have some more interim short stories a la Edgedancer.

His website says 40% done with a "mystery project" so, yeah, maybe.
Clavell
AG
Okay, convinced me. I'm starting "The Way of Kings".
maverick2076
Just finished Oathbringer. Wow.
NoHo Hank
AG
Prophet00 said:

Sanderson has said 3-4 years between Stormlight Archive books. Book 4 release date is tentatively December 2020 I think.

Great book, would be interested to get y'alls thoughts on it. Tone was very different from the first two.

The first two books set up a relatively black and white war between the humans and voidbringers. I think this book does a great job of painting all the various shades of grey in between. Humans as the voidbringers, enslaving the parshendi, and Dalinar's conquest with his brother basically do a lot to discredit legitimacy of their rule. At the same time, most of the humans are people like Kaladin's parents - good people just trying to make it through life, and they're facing eradication. In all, poses some good questions. Dalinar, Kaladin, and everyone are appropriately impacted by the morality of their situation. Different then the other two books, but I liked it just as much.
maverick2076
I think that the revelation that humans are the original Voidbringers is central to the recurring theme of redemption throughout the first three books. While Dalinar's redemption is obviously the most central piece of Oathbringer, many of the other characters are going through this trial in their own way, and either successfully are redeemed, or, like Amaram, fail to grasp for redemption. One of the themes that I love is that the Radiants are all broken men and women who are striving for better.
heddleston
AG
So did the Parshendi serve Honor/Cultivation before the Voidbringers came and Honor redeemed them? And Odium used this to make them serve him instead?

Also, I want to be the Lopen when i grow up.
maverick2076
Am I the only one who thinks Adolin is going to become Radiant and, in doing so, restore his ShardBlade (Maya) to life? Syl has already shown us that spren can't really die.
BigBrother
AG
maverick2076 said:

A I the only one who thinks Adolin is going to become Radiant and, in doing so, restore his ShardBlade (Maya) to life? Syl has already shown us that spren can't really die.
I was pleasantly surprised that Adolin didn't act beat up over killing Sadeas. He owned up to it and said he did a public service. I does seem he's coaxing life into his spren and I think he and Venli are destined to be Radiants.

I really enjoyed Lift's conversations with Nightblood. Her character can sometimes ruin the immersion of the story, but she's hilarious.
maverick2076
Has anyone else finished Oathbringer?

My wife bought me a signed hardcover copy of the book for Christmas. The artwork is really awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.