Oathbreaker- Stormlight Archive 32 chapter release

11,440 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PatAg
CapCityAg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maverick2076 said:

Has anyone else finished Oathbringer?

My wife bought me a signed hardcover copy of the book for Christmas. The artwork is really awesome.

A bunch of people posting in spoiler box above yours have clearly read it.

I love this series and am trying to get my fantasy-loving daughter (15) to start. I don't remember WOK as being a slow start but she's had issues. Where I love this over GOT (and the GOT books are fantastic) is that it is much more accessible.
maverick2076
I know. I was one of them. I was hoping to hear some more thoughts/discussion from others who read it. The talk kinda died off pretty quickly for a 1000+ page book.
CapCityAg89
AG
I actually may need to read it again to get into conversation. I feel like I gulped it down the first read. The Dalinar stuff was really good because I know people (my current boss) like that. Not cold blooded killers, but definitely win at all costs, short term victory guys who changed to consider the Long game more important.

Side note - I keep going back to the prelude to WOK. That simple little exchange between the two kings set so many stages and carried so much foreshadowing.
maverick2076
Did you read Edgedancer before Oathbringer? If not, you should.
CapCityAg89
AG
Yep. Right before. And I agree - such a fun book. Part of why I love the series is the lightness of serious subjects.
heddleston
AG
I really like what Sanderson did with Moash's character, and I'm really curious as to whats going to happen with the remaining Heralds.
maverick2076
I do too. I wonder if Moash is going to be able to find redemption like so many of the others have, or if he is going to become the character who can not redeem himself.

maverick2076
Elhokar's death, just as he was reciting the First Ideal, was so tragic. One of the most impactful scenes of the book, in my opinion.
heddleston
AG
Moash is now a king killer. I just dont see him being redeemed, if for no other reason than he'd just be Szeth 2.0. Hoid finding/rescuing Ekhokar's spren has me really really curious Can someone else bond to it? Or does it mean Elhokar is still alive? Does his son come into play,?
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
maverick2076 said:

Elhokar's death, just as he was reciting the First Ideal, was so tragic. One of the most impactful scenes of the book, in my opinion.

Agreed. Such an inpactul, emotional scene, if not also for the other going ons as well. However:

"Then, like a Herald from lore, a man rose into the air above them. Glowing white with Stormlight, the bearded man carried a long silver Shardspear with a strange crossguard shape behind the tip.

Teft.

Knight Radiant."

had the complete opposite effect and quite literally gave me chills. If I wasn't laying in bed with the wife I may have emphatically fist pumped .

So question, I have only read the 3 novels of the Stormlight archive so far. I know there is stuff I am missing, where should I go next.
maverick2076
Yeah, that scene was amazing. Sanderson is so good at building up these huge dramatic moments, filling them with genuine emotion, and not letting the reader down by overselling a scene.

If you haven't read the first Mistborn trilogy, I'd start there.
CapCityAg89
AG
heddleston said:

Moash is now a king killer. I just dont see him being redeemed, if for no other reason than he'd just be Szeth 2.0. Hoid finding/rescuing Ekhokar's spren has me really really curious Can someone else bond to it? Or does it mean Elhokar is still alive? Does his son come into play,?
I'm really not sure he's a "major" enough character for redemption. There are other fallen characters that weren't really redeemed (Sadeas, for example, dies a treasonous *******).

As for the other - it's a good question. He's a "high spren", so is definitely looking to bond, but I don't think he's necessarily "passed along" to anyone else.
Clavell
AG
Well just finished Way of Kings after seeing so many threads on it. Did pull me into the story and world. How is Words of Radiance in comparison? I usually don't read books in series back to back so will probably read some other different genre books before coming back to it later this year.
Micah97
AG
I would r commend reading Words of Radiance immmediatley to keep all the different characters and plot lines fresh in your mind. I loved Way of Kings. Probably in my top 3 of all fantasy books. WoR and Oathbreakwr, while good, are not as good as wok
maverick2076
Personally, I thought WoR was the better book. There is no let down yet going from book to book in the Stormlight Archives, in my opinion.
Clavell
AG
Nice to hear
aggietony2010
AG
All three books are good. I'd put Way of Kings at the top, followed by Oathbringer and Words of Radiance.

It will be tough to top Way of Kings. Nothing tops that feeling of having a new world built around you when you start a new book/series, and Sanderson is great at it.

The Kaladin/Dalinar storyline in WoK is also just outstanding on its own.
bearamedic99
AG
Quote:

So question, I have only read the 3 novels of the Stormlight archive so far. I know there is stuff I am missing, where should I go next.

there is a novella about Lift named Edgedancer
Karrde
AG
The preface to Oathbringer suggests reading Edgedancer before Oathbringer. I just read both last week, and it's a heck of a ride.
BigBrother
AG
aggietony2010 said:

All three books are good. I'd put Way of Kings at the top, followed by Oathbringer and Words of Radiance.

It will be tough to top Way of Kings. Nothing tops that feeling of having a new world built around you when you start a new book/series, and Sanderson is great at it.

I agree with this. The bridge runs and Kaladin's and Dalinar's struggles were amazing to me.
CapCityAg89
AG
BigBrother said:

aggietony2010 said:

I agree with this. The bridge runs and Kaladin's and Dalinar's struggles were amazing to me.

It's part of what made Oathbringer so good. The hindsight of what Dalinar was trying to be given where he came from was awesome.
Hudson2508
AG
I ****ing love these books but man I go through such a withdrawal when I finish. I'd rank this one 3rd of the 3 but it was still excellent. I feel like I need to go sit in a class to understand all of the magic and history of the story but it is so amazing how well the characters are developed.

I can't ****ing wait for Szeth's focus book. That dude is a badass.

Sanderson is a god.
Forum Troll
AG
Finished WoR earlier this week. As good as WoK but with a better climax imo. Reading Edgedancer now. Won't take long considering its length.
Thunder18
AG
Read Edgedancer and Oathbringer this week. Loved them both. I would rank the books in this order:

Way of Kings
Oathbringer
Words of Radiance

Here's a fun question: who do y'all visualize when 'casting' some of the main characters? The one thst I clearly visualize in the role of Dalinar is Liam Cunningworth aka Ser Davos from GoT. When I read Dalinar's chapters I hear his voice

BigBrother
AG
Someone made this list a while ago, but I don't like many of the choices.

I like the casting for Hoid, Sylphrena, Szeth, and they cast Liam Cunningham as Teft (which I think is good). I do not see the tall Alethi as Asian at all.

https://www.tor.com/2016/11/02/dream-casting-brandon-sandersons-the-way-of-kings/
Forum Troll
AG
Sadeas casting seems odd. Not a soldier's body.

I've also pictured Herdazians as hispanic so the casting there makes sense.
Cry Yer Pardon Gunslinger
BigBrother said:

Someone made this list a while ago, but I don't like many of the choices.

I like the casting for Hoid, Sylphrena, Szeth, and they cast Liam Cunningham as Teft (which I think is good). I do not see the tall Alethi as Asian at all.

https://www.tor.com/2016/11/02/dream-casting-brandon-sandersons-the-way-of-kings/

I created a handle just to agree with this; I don't understand casting Asians as alethi. They have illustrations of the Alethi in the actual books; as well as the Makabaki. The Alethi model looks like Ivan Drago; and the Makabaki look middle eastern.

The blonde and black hair coloring of the alethi don't seem to go with Asians either.

For Dalinar Kohlin; I could think of only one man who could pull it off better than anyone.....Mel Gibson. He really does a great haunted character; and is built like Dalinar Kohlin is described.

Tell me you couldn't see a tortured Mel in Shardplate and blade scything down rows upon rows of Parshendi

I also liked Brendan Gleeson for Sadeas and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for Amaram.
Thunder18
AG
I don't get the Asian/Alethi thing either.
heddleston
AG
I always imagined Herdazians as guidos from Jersey, but with hardcore midwestern accents like Minnesota/North Dakota. Alethi body types and looks can't be nailed down to one racial group. Skin tone, eyes, and dress always seemed kinda Asian to me, but the Alethi are really tall dudes and their hair is all different. Because Shin eyes are so noted as being big and round in contrast to the rest of humanity i guess it's easy to assume everyone else looks Asian?
AgLaw
AG
maverick2076 said:

Yeah, that scene was amazing. Sanderson is so good at building up these huge dramatic moments, filling them with genuine emotion, and not letting the reader down by overselling a scene.

If you haven't read the first Mistborn trilogy, I'd start there.
I second the Mistborn recommendation. I launched into the first Mistborn book on the heals of finishing the first two Stormlight Archive books, and it took a little bit of time for me to transition into it. Once I got going, though, I really liked it. I'm about to start the Wax & Wayne series and pray to all that's holy GRR Martin finishes Winds of Winter some time in the next 12 months.
PatAg
AG
I wonder if we will ever see these stories as a TV series

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.