*** The Disaster Artist ***

19,491 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

First trailer drops tomorrow.

James Franco
Dave Franco
Seth Rogan
Josh Hutcherson
Zac Efron
Jacki Weaver
Alison Brie
Sharon Stone
Melanie Griffith
Judd Upatow
Kate Upton
Megan Mullally
Bryan Cranston
Zach Braff
Kristen Bell

It was screened at SXSW and received a standing ovation.

If you haven't heard about it, it is about Tommy Wiseau and his creation The Room.
unimboti nkum
AG
that's the best movie poster I've ever seen
Sex Panther
AG
I can't believe Franco and crew actually made this, but I'm so glad they did
Saxsoon
AG
I am more hyped than I should be
GiveEmHellBill
AG

So freakin' pumped for this movie.
chipotle
A picture of how pumped I am:

Guitarsoup
AG
Sex Panther
AG
That was awesome
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS
AG
I've somehow never seen The Room. But I know enough and have seen enough clips that I almost feel like I have. Still, this trailer has me wondering... how do you guys think this plays for people who have no idea what The Room is? Is there anyone in this thread who falls under that camp? Part of me thinks that this is whole The Room phenomenon is just a big, Hollywood, inside joke that the rest of America isn't going to get, while another part of me knows that this cast alone will get people in the seats, and that it ultimately doesn't matter what the movie is about. I can't wait for it either way, just curious to hear y'all's thoughts.
Guitarsoup
AG
It's definitely a big Hollywood inside joke, which is why it probably wins best picture. If Hollywood loves anything it is movies that stroke themselves off.

I think they will do some marketing where people see clips of The Room enough on YT. I've never watched The Room, but like you have seen enough clips to get the general idea.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, good point. And it will surely cause a ton of people (such as myself) to watch the original movie and see what all the fuss is about beforehand.
DG-Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

I've somehow never seen The Room. But I know enough and have seen enough clips that I almost feel like I have. Still, this trailer has me wondering... how do you guys think this plays for people who have no idea what The Room is? Is there anyone in this thread who falls under that camp? Part of me thinks that this is whole The Room phenomenon is just a big, Hollywood, inside joke that the rest of America isn't going to get, while another part of me knows that this cast alone will get people in the seats, and that it ultimately doesn't matter what the movie is about. I can't wait for it either way, just curious to hear y'all's thoughts.
Here. Never heard of it until clicking on this thread.
LHIOB
AG
Never seen it but now I want to...
Sex Panther
AG
I think the movie dorks like us on this board will be really into it, but I doubt many people actually know what it is.

It probably won't be that big of a hit, but will probably be huge within its circle. Probably similar to Scott Pilgrim.
Guitarsoup
AG
Watching this clip is all you need to know.

The guy with long dark hair is Tommy Wiseau. He wrote, directed, financed, and starred in The Room. It took him dozens of takes to get lines right that he personally wrote. You can also tell they dubbed lots of lines after the fact because he never got them right.

Sex Panther
AG
There will probably be tons of showings of The Room now though. I'll definitely go to the next one that Alamo does.
chipotle
I'm afraid to ask...is this Tommy guy going to make money off of this?
swimmerbabe11

I CAN'T WAIT
I CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAIT
I CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAIT
I CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAIT
I CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAIT
I CAN'T WAIT
I CAN'T WAIT
I CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAIT
I CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAIT
I CAN'T WAITI CAN'T WAIT
cr0wbar
AG
God yes

"I definitely have cancer again"

"Oh hi doggie - you're my favorite customer"

any scene with Denny in it
swimmerbabe11
Also, did the deli scene in Spiderman Homecoming make anyone think of the flower shop in The Room?
TCTTS
AG
Likely so. It's based on the book of the same name that chronicles the whole production. But I'm sure they also had to get Tommy's life rights, and with that comes a percentage of the budget.
Btron
AG
So what's the bit? Just a bad movie that has turned into a cult classic?
TCTTS
AG
Basically, yeah. But Tommy makes appearances all over the place in conjunction with screenings now. He's been "in on the joke" for years and year now, even though it obviously started out as something genuine.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think he is always in on it.
Bunk Moreland
started out as genuine. He wrote/directed/self financed.

Became instant joke. Too bad for even a razzie. Early internet videos/memes originated because of content like this. Then it sort of died, and really small followings built up in places like NYC and LA.

They'd start doing screenings, and at first he thought not that it was beloved or great, but definitely that people were laughing with him/the film and not at it. Then after it picked up more and more steam and started screening to larger audiences, and he began doing interview circuits like early Red Eye and others, he realized the joke for what it was and decided to "be in on it" as TCTTS said, however at times he still definitely doesn't catch all of the fun others have at the expense of it.

Then at some point apparently the Franco brothers got really high and just knew they had to turn this into a movie. Fast forward a decade from that first stoned moment, and here we are.
swimmerbabe11
I will stop what I'm doing to listen to any interview with him.

Guitarsoup
AG
Podcast/interview with a guy that worked for Wiseau for 11 years.

http://s62.podbean.com/pb/b1979cddfe04715d3073eb5e0640eb8c/596e6a6d/data4/fs59/269903/uploads/Frotcast220.mp3
LHIOB
AG
chipotle said:

I'm afraid to ask...is this Tommy guy going to make money off of this?

According to IMDB hes in it
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Hopefully, this movie will be like "Ed Wood" in that you don't have to have seen Plan 9 From Outer Space or Bride of the Atom to really get how bad....and yet hilarious, a movie about the making of them is.

And, in my opinion, the only way to watch "The Room" (which you must) is by watching the Rifftrax version. They even did a live version recently that you can purchase. I cannot imagine watching the movie just by itself.
Producers_96
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

And, in my opinion, the only way to watch "The Room" (which you must) is by watching the Rifftrax version. They even did a live version recently that you can purchase. I cannot imagine watching the movie just by itself.
This. If you haven't seen it, start with a Rifftrax version because there is no way you can catch most of the weirdness in one viewing without a little help.
Joan Wilder
AG
Oh hi, i've seen the Room a half dozen times, including one midnight showing. I've introduced many friends to it and each time I see something new that makes me laugh.

The last time we watched it, my friend was only partly into the awfulness of it all until the party scene, at which point he laughed harder than I've ever seen in 20 years. introducing a new character in the climactic scene of the movie, with the most terrible performance in a ensemble of terrible performances, is the most insanely hilarious decision I've ever seen on film.

I can't wait for this. That trailer teaser is amazing. There are a lot of GREAT and funny people attached to this...the waiting is TEARING ME APART
20ag07
Greg Sestero's book, which this film is adapted from, is well worth the read.
Bobcat06
AG
They used the exact same sex scene twice
cr0wbar
AG
The riffrax guys (I found it on Amazon Prime) are about as funny as open heart surgery

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.